[RIP] Louis Gossett Jr.

From FoxNews:

Louis Gossett Jr., the first Black man to win a supporting actor Oscar, has died at the age of 87.

Gossett died Thursday night in Santa Monica, California, according to his nephew. The actor's cause of death has not yet been released.

Gossett always thought of his early career as a reverse Cinderella story, with success finding him from an early age and propelling him forward, toward his Academy Award for "An Officer and a Gentleman."

More: https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/oscar-winner-louis-gossett-jr-dead-87

Funny that growing up I always mistaken him for 'Gordon' of Sesame Street. Esp the first time I saw IRON EAGLE. I was like how he's a bad ass on movies and so super nice on Sesame Street. I like him on Toy Soldier too. And Sesame Street. ;) 

R.I.P. Louis "CHAPPY" Gossett Jr. 🙏

Iron Eagle and Enemy Mine are the two stand-out films for me. I've never seen Officer and a Gentleman. Many a year has passed since I last saw either of the former films, but I remember Louis Gossett Jr. disappeared into the role of Drac in Enemy Mine (the heavy makeup probably helped). Perused his IMDB- he has been acting non-stop professionally since 1957 and has a prolific list of credits including voicing the Vortigaunt in Half-Life 2 and Half-Life 2: Episode One and Lucius Fox in three eps of The Batman cartoon. You definitely left your mark Mr. Gossett. RIP

11 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Iron Eagle and Enemy Mine are the two stand-out films for me.

Same here. When I hear his name those are the films that come to mind. 

It's funny, of all the stuff that Gossett was in the one role that I'll really remember him for was Lucius Fox in The Batman.  (Not the recent movie, the animated series from the 2000s.)

9 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

It's funny, of all the stuff that Gossett was in the one role that I'll really remember him for was Lucius Fox in The Batman.  (Not the recent movie, the animated series from the 2000s.)

I really haven’t watched that cartoon, I’ll probably have to check it out one day

On 3/30/2024 at 6:22 PM, Big s said:

I really haven’t watched that cartoon, I’ll probably have to check it out one day

I mean, it's not Batman: TAS, but it's probably my second-favorite Batman cartoon.

• azrael locked this topic