Macross streaming on Disney+ (under the "Star" label; Star/Hulu of D+)

30 minutes ago, MisaForever said:

Clash of the Bionoids: The best and only dub of DYRL. 

"You can still fight when you're drunk! *hic*" - Roy Focker

That’s the best part of the dub. That and when Hikaru is so saddened by Roy dying that he calls Roy by his girlfriend’s name

45 minutes ago, Big s said:

That’s the best part of the dub. That and when Hikaru is so saddened by Roy dying that he calls Roy by his girlfriend’s name

LOL!! So THAT'S what he said. I never understood it. 😆

2 hours ago, MisaForever said:

LOL!! So THAT'S what he said. I never understood it. 😆

He say it like “mEEEanmAY!!!”, but it was totally Roy

The Zentraedi at the beginning are pretty hilarious as well 

Edited by Big s

29 minutes ago, sh9000 said:

6575F119-6FDF-4B1B-A46D-DAEB23684254.jpeg.ffb240c00d1126095d3780bd06f5007b.jpeg

It would be cool if Disney Movie Insiders has this poster available with their points.

Maybe at the Disney store at the mall. It’s a bit of hopeful thinking, but who knows where Macross merch may turn up in the near future 

8 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

What mall still has a Disney Store?

Malls are still a thing? I thought most of those kind of shriveled up and died years ago during the lockdowns.

4 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Malls are still a thing? I thought most of those kind of shriveled up and died years ago during the lockdowns.

Nah, they opened up after, just with angrier kids

1 minute ago, Seto Kaiba said:

yeah...they are still around..., in my neck of the woods you'd think they never went out of style....Disney Stores...not so much....

I think there may still be some in Europe or Asia, but I think all "brick & mortar" US Disney Stores closed down a few years ago...all about web shopping or the Parks if you need specific Disney merch...

Not a "Disney Store"....it's a "Disney Outlet" store for the merch they can't sell from the webstore and some park merch (there are also Disney Outlet stores near WDW and some other cities in the US)...I doubt the Macross/D+ poster would ever show up there...if it did it would be a bad sign for "WWM"...LOL...anyways, "Disney Stores" were another casualty of the pandemic...they are all gone...

Maybe via the Japanese online Disney store at some point?...

https://shopdisney.disney.co.jp/

Since it is not officially a D+ show in the US...perhaps on the Hulu store?

https://shop.hulu.com/pages/shop-by-show

7 hours ago, Big s said:

He say it like “mEEEanmAY!!!”, but it was totally Roy

The Zentraedi at the beginning are pretty hilarious as well 

HAH! You're right, I hear it now. XD And yes, they were. Britai especially.

16 hours ago, Big s said:

I just checked out of curiosity and there’s one fairly close to me in Ontario CA

We have one in Santa Anita and ironically, it has a bunch of otaku stores in it that would cater to this forum.

Edited by Rhubarbarian

1 hour ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

I would buy a print of this regardless of the Disney+ text.

LOL....some were p!ssed that the franchise was not available outside of Japan....now most of it will be but some are upset about who they need to pay to be able to finally watch it....

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

LOL....some were p!ssed that the franchise was not available outside of Japan....now most of it will be but some are upset about who they need to pay to be able to finally watch it....

I don’t care who brings it, as long as they don’t edit it.

8 minutes ago, Big s said:

I don’t care who brings it, as long as they don’t edit it.

I don't care who streams it... as long as they don't squash the blu ray releases.

Disney has only just begun to finally release a few of its streaming original series on disc.

But Macross is licensed and not a Disney in-house product, so maybe the blu ray distribution agreement is safe.

1 hour ago, KOG Water Dragon said:

I don't care who streams it... as long as they don't squash the blu ray releases.

Disney has only just begun to finally release a few of its streaming original series on disc.

But Macross is licensed and not a Disney in-house product, so maybe the blu ray distribution agreement is safe.

I doubt that it would even delay plans for the blu ray releases. 

It's a licensed work, not "Disney vault" fodder... it's much more likely that they'll be using the streaming release to promote the Blu-rays the way Crunchyroll has been doing for its subs/dubs.

7 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

It's a licensed work, not "Disney vault" fodder... it's much more likely that they'll be using the streaming release to promote the Blu-rays the way Crunchyroll has been doing for its subs/dubs.

This is most likely correct.

If the Disney streaming license was to somehow delay/cancel the Blu-ray release plans, we'd likely have heard about it by now via AnimEigo's Macross II: Lovers Again Kickstarter... as AnimEigo would have to either notify backers of the delay or issue refunds in the event of a cancellation.

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

If the Disney streaming license was to somehow delay/cancel the Blu-ray release plans, we'd likely have heard about it by now via AnimEigo's Macross II: Lovers Again Kickstarter... as AnimEigo would have to either notify backers of the delay or issue refunds in the event of a cancellation.

God, I hope that cancellation does not occur! I’m really looking forward to all releases!

Twich

1 hour ago, twich said:

God, I hope that cancellation does not occur! I’m really looking forward to all releases!

Twich

I wouldn’t stress about it at all. I’d imagine they already had an agreement before Disney was even involved. Even if Disney does get in the way, they’d probably release the show very soon after it streamed. Most D+ originals get a physical release within a couple of months after they are available on their channel.

2 hours ago, twich said:

It should not affect physical releases. Disappearing from the streaming platform after a set amount of time...that's another story.

2 hours ago, azrael said:

It should not affect physical releases. Disappearing from the streaming platform after a set amount of time...that's another story.

Thanks! It will seem almost surreal having the ability to buy the Blu-rays along with streaming it wherever I am, no more 100GB of storage used on my iPhone and iPad!

Twich

50 minutes ago, twich said:

Thanks! It will seem almost surreal having the ability to buy the Blu-rays along with streaming it wherever I am, no more 100GB of storage used on my iPhone and iPad!

Twich

That and no more struggling with bad translations on bootlegs.

20 hours ago, Big s said:

That and no more struggling with bad translations on bootlegs.

Hopefully it won't move to struggling with bad translations on officially-sanctioned polycarbonate.

On 4/5/2024 at 4:25 PM, JB0 said:

Hopefully it won't move to struggling with bad translations on officially-sanctioned polycarbonate.

Let alone be woke as hell when it comes to the translations 

Creative Sphere should be able to translate most of the Macross franchise 

If a dub were to be made, BIGWEST would have to be heavily involved with the dubs 

On 4/3/2024 at 11:55 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

So it’s the same as the Netflix situation with Neon Genesis Evangelion?

7 minutes ago, Zethus said:

Not sure what situation you mean, specifically.

I'm referring to the practice that's basically the norm for anime on streaming, broadcast, etc. and used to be the norm for streaming in general.

That is to say, that the studio that produced the series and owns the copyright on it will license it to one or more distributors in other regions.  Those distributors will localize it (sub or dub it, edit it for broadcast regs, etc.) and then in turn license it to one or more TV networks or streaming services that air the series.  The network or streaming service does not own the series, they're just borrowing it from the catalog of works that the distributor has borrowed from the studio in exchange for royalties and a cash downpayment.

Disney won't own any Macross series on their service.  They're just buying permission to stream it on their service for a specific period of time from the distributors who licensed the shows from Big West back in '21.

On 4/7/2024 at 4:50 AM, Zethus said:

Care to elaborate? Feel free to dm. Just asking because I find myself currently in a re-watch (and dead gods this aged badly).

26 minutes ago, Beko Pharm said:

Care to elaborate? Feel free to dm. Just asking because I find myself currently in a re-watch (and dead gods this aged badly).

I haven’t watched those versions, but from my understanding they did some odd alterations and a bit of censorship with the movies