VOTE NOW: MACROSS PLUS DVD KEEPCASE

Mechamaniac

224 members have voted

1. 1. VOTE NOW: MACROSS PLUS DVD KEEPCASE

• Yes! - SDF Macross 12 DVD's
    • Yes! - Macross Plus 3 DVD's (OVA & Movie)
    • Both
    • No thanks, I don't want to be associated with you fanboys!.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH..... Thank you.. I've been looking for that logo, or at least a decent size image of it.  :)  Originally, that triangle thing with the logo at the top was the backdrop for one of the images I had wanted to use... but I didn't want to even think about redoing the tiny example I had. :)

Btw, I can get a scan of the Hasegawa VF-1J box if it's needed.

How about using that logo as the background for a composite image of the YF-19, YF021 and Ghost. Sort of showing the rivalry between the machines on one side.

Then use the other image you have on the other side showing the love triangles and rivalry between the people (and Sharon).

Then the desert image on the spine...

Not bad. Was that using the Sharon triange on both sides with fighters on one, characters on the other?

We could also use the desert shot on one side, some character/fighter/both shot on the other side, and have just sharon's cross over black on the spine, which IMO would be a pretty eye catching spine.

My only worry for the M+ box is since it's only a 3 disc spine, there isn't much elabote stuff we can do on the spine, and have it still fit and look good. SDF box that wasn't an issue. The desert shot, if adjusted, could work on the spine though.

mplusbox_spine_2.jpg

If we use that, do we put a logo on it? Or leave the logo/title for the sides?

post-4-1075951635_thumb.jpg

I cant believe I've never seen this thread. This idea is awesome, I was going to order the existing macross one in like 2 weeks, but I think I'll wait on this one.

I guess my input is that I like "classy" looking boxes... not a big fan of like the CG SDFs or VFs... (not that those arent nice)

I think the DYRL movie poster should definitely fit somewhere on the box, and somewhere put on a logo of sorts... maybe the Macross Kite?

I could probably stretch it abit, but most likely I'm going to have to add more 'space' to it.

Left image: This is how it looks stretched to fill the entire back.

Right image: 'space' replacing the blackbars.

DA - Can you update your composite image to show the "more space" version of that pic?.

Looks like we are nearing completion of the SDF box, does anyone have any final suggestions, gripes, concerns, or general beeyotching to do?.

Are there any other images we are missing out on, or does anyone have any other images they think we should use??

if I did a custom macross box it'd be something different like a collage made

up of hundreds of macross images/logos etc. That would be unique and cool I think but its probably impractical and not a popular idea...just my 2 cents. You guys will come up with something awesome, I'm sure.

PS. I don't think the animeigo TV boxes are bad at all. They're kind of minimal but they use original line art of the characters and are simple black. I like the alternate that Garoquel posted better but both are nice.

Garoquel - I wish we could download all your alternate covers to print and use on out DVDs if we wanted to...that would be cool.

I could probably stretch it abit, but most likely I'm going to have to add more 'space' to it.

Left image: This is how it looks stretched to fill the entire back.

Right image:  'space' replacing the blackbars.

DA - Can you update your composite image to show the "more space" version of that pic?.

Looks like we are nearing completion of the SDF box, does anyone have any final suggestions, gripes, concerns, or general beeyotching to do?.

Are there any other images we are missing out on, or does anyone have any other images they think we should use??

Yeah, looks like we are nearing completion of the SDF box.

We still need high res scans of the Hasegawa art though if we are going to be able to use the Roy -1S image.

All that will be left then is the logo and exclusive blurb.

M+ is coming along though. Personally, I've never really been a big fan of the 3 character triangle picture though. We can if you guys want though, with Sharon, Sharon's cross, or Sharon's CPU tower behind them maybe. We definately need one of Sharon's forms or at least the cross on one side somewhere.

How about this for one of the sides. The metal would really shine on this one.

post-4-1076387955_thumb.jpg

:ph34r:

post-4-1076388438_thumb.jpg

So is the Hikaru 1A officially our best bet for the top?

A general concern. The box looks too DYRL-ish. Even though the Prometheus and Daedalas are present. I think the top should be Hickaru's 1J.

Could be any Hase. Gonna need someone to scan it in though cause like I said, I don't have any Hasegawa/Temjin images.

Personally I think the Hase should be a Hikaru plane. SDF Macross is essentially his story.

Hey everybody, I hope I'm not too late in the game to put my two cents into this project. Just been busy with school/work/video games to get on the forum in like two weeks. I like what I'm seeing so far for both boxes, you guys have come up with some good stuff. My only real gripe with the current box art contender is the back/spine image of the SDF-1. Its not that I don't like the current pic of the SDF-1 in space, but I think the first image of the SDF-1 taking off just looks better to me. I don't know, I just think it gives a better look/profile of the SDF-1. I was also thinking that if possible to use a screenshot from the opening of the tv series with the VF-1J in battroid mode kinda floating in front of the bridge to the SDF-1. Then you can put to MacrossWorld Logo to the left of it and I think it would look better that what's currently being done.

Also like what going on with the Mac+ box as well. I really like the Isamu, Guld, Myung, and Sharon Apple background for one side of the box. The other side should definately feature some yf-19 yf-21 valk action in some way.

Definately something I'll be keeping an eye on.

Smiley424: Couple of problems with your idea.

SDF-1 image: is also a landscape-type drawing. The spine is squarish and we've already ruled out letterbox-style. It is easier to make space then it is to make clouds....especially the clouds in that image. Also you need to have/make a 300dpi scan of the picture.

Screenshot image: You'll be mixing a high detailed handpainted image with a cel image. Doesn't mix well. Also has to be 300dpi.

But hey I could be wrong. If you could put together a mockup of what you're suggesting, I'd love to see it. B))

Leave the SDF box alone, with the exception of someone getting a good scan of Roy's 1S Hasegawa art.

Then, the box will be perfect.

post-4-1076400726_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

Hmm, yeah, I can see what you're saying Dangard. I don't know if I have the time right now to go about putting together what I'm thinking of in my head. Though I like seeing the Hasegawa valk box art on top, maybe we can just blow up the Macross World symbol/image instead.

I think the pic that Anubis posted will be better for the top. The darker background will blend better with the side and back images than the white cloudy background of Hikaru's 1J.

Is getting a box scan really that much of a problem?. If so, I can snag that model form my local ripoff needless anime markup store, and scan in the lid.

I think the pic that Anubis posted will be better for the top.  The darker background will blend better with the side and back images than the white cloudy background of Hikaru's 1J.

Is getting a box scan really that much of a problem?.  If so, I can snag that model form my local ripoff needless anime markup store, and scan in the lid.

By all means.

Though someone should have a box around here to scan.

SOMEONE! COME ON! please.

The lettering is even lovingly placed in areas where it should be easy for one of our very skilled people can remove them, and then expand the clouds/land to fit.

Hell, keep the Macross logo in the bottom left. Solves that placement question as well.

The four images have an almost perfect color and style balance between the types of images. Make an awesome box.

The other two SDF-1 shots from before don't synch with the other pics nearly as well as the current spine.

post-4-1076435186.gif

Edited by Anubis

OK, guys, pretty major update from Paul....

I sent him Dangard Ace's composite image to see if it was feasible. He replied with the following.

I like the artwork that as been chosen. The spine is especially nice. I'm

just a bit concerned about how to blend those pieces together. As it is now,

we have very dissimilar pieces butting together. That would make a strange

joint. If these are the final choices, the next step will be to find a

pleasing way to make them live together.

I have attached an example of one way to do it. This is by no means the only

solution. I'm not even sure that this is the actual outline of the ship ;) I

just through this together to show how a dynamic transition can make the

difference.

So, here is the image Paul updated....

macTest2.jpg

Let me know what you guys think.....

I like what Garoquel did the most.

Maybe MW could make a deal Animeigo and actually fill these boxes with Animeigo DVDs? I know there are those out there who haven't gotten the Animeigo's yet...

I've been tossing around. I voted for the M+ set as I don't want a gigantor 12 disc box... I'm thinking 1 x 9-disc box, 1 x 3-disc box (DYRL, FB2012, 20th Anniversary), 1 x 3-disc box (M+ OVA and movie), a 5 (?) DVD box for M-Zero, etc... But now that I think bout it I might be willing to buy it as a "travel" box or something... and fill it with the 20th anniversary or FB2012 discs (which I don't have yet).

Interesting.

I still like them separated though for the moment. An area to explore though.

Note: the bottom halves of the deadalus and prometheus are missing.

Edited by Anubis

You know, I just noticed something.

Where are the shoulders on the spine image? Are the Daedalus and Prometheus oriented right?!!? :unsure: It looks like the ships are facing forward instead of back. Can it do that technically speaking?

Edited by Anubis

Does it have to have color? I like the Animeigo Black. I was thinking of having Black anodized wih the macross logo in silver.

Hasegawa on the spine, Animeigo's SDF-1 wireframe silvered on top w/ UN kite wire framed as well behind the sdf1?

Just throwing another possibility.

Where are the shoulders on the spine image? Are the Daedalus and Prometheus oriented right?!!? :unsure: It looks like the ships are facing forward instead of back. Can it do that technically speaking?

If the image is dead wrong, I may have to alter my vote, even though I love the pic. Maybe Hasegawa on the spine, SDF-1 take off image on top (that way it won't have to be expanded as much)?

Opinions?

The ships are facing forward, you can see the shoulder cannons behind them...

If the image is dead wrong, I may have to alter my vote, even though I love the pic. Maybe Hasegawa on the spine, SDF-1 take off image on top (that way it won't have to be expanded as much)?

Opinions?

Yes it can do that. Of course you can always take that point up with the Hoary Froating Head himself as that poster is from the Macross Perfect Memory book... B))

Where are the shoulders on the spine image?  Are the Daedalus and Prometheus oriented right?!!? :unsure: It looks like the ships are facing forward instead of back.  Can it do that technically speaking?

If the image is dead wrong, I may have to alter my vote, even though I love the pic.  Maybe Hasegawa on the spine, SDF-1 take off image on top (that way it won't have to be expanded as much)?

Opinions?

Yes it can do that. Of course you can always take that point up with the Hoary Froating Head himself as that poster is from the Macross Perfect Memory book... B))

Jsut checking.

Being from the perfect memory book, then fine.

Image can stay, thankfully, because I really do like the pic.

Worried me there for a sec.

Never mind then.

Back on track: someone get the hasegawa scan!

Once that's done we can focus on the M+ box's pics some more.

Edited by Anubis

Does it have to have color? I like the Animeigo Black. I was thinking of having Black anodized wih the macross logo in silver.

That would look cool if you also had the UN Spacy logo on one side, and the Zentraedi logo on the other. Then perhaps the MW logo on the top with the commemorative info...

i like the images Anubis has posted for m and m+ (somewhere in the middle of this thread).

my preference is for official art vs overlays with other people's cg backgrounds.

the dessert shot from m+ would look nice for the spine.

great job!