VOTE NOW: MACROSS PLUS DVD KEEPCASE

Mechamaniac

224 members have voted

1. 1. VOTE NOW: MACROSS PLUS DVD KEEPCASE

• Yes! - SDF Macross 12 DVD's
    • Yes! - Macross Plus 3 DVD's (OVA & Movie)
    • Both
    • No thanks, I don't want to be associated with you fanboys!.

Pretty cool, but no thanks...

Hey, I thought the SDF Macross Series is only 9 DVDs? Where do you get 12?

Chronocidal posted this pic in the Mass CG Project thread - maybe we should ping some of those guys who have yf-19 and yf-21 models to do some high res renderings for the Mac+ case?

I sent Paul an e-mail asking him what his specific image requirements were.

Once he lets me know, we can start hitting up some photoshoppers for some images.

I might put a cross post in the Fan Art forum.

As stated two or three times in this very thread: :)

9 Animeigos. . . 1 DYRL. . . Flashback 2012.

Place in pot, simmer, season to taste.

Serves 12.

H

Serves 12.

H

:lol: Check your math Hurin...

Serves 12.

H

:lol: Check your math Hurin...

9 Animeigo's + 1 DYRL + 1 FB2012 + 1 20th anniversary = 12

I'm in for both, again, provided they aren't $50. $25-$35 is pretty good. You know, I may even get them if the SDF Macross case is $50. I'd still have to see it first though. :D

OK guys, just got tons of info from Paul regarding case design.

Here we go...

I think the best way to proceed is for you guys to find a

consensus on what artwork to use for each case and I can go from there.

Keep in mind that the artwork needs to be of good quality. Most of what is

on your board is only 72 dpi. But since most pieces are full pages, they can

usually be brought back to 300 dpi and still retain a usable size.

I think your best bet will be to start gathering suggestions on artwork. The

goal is to end up with 4 distinct pieces for each case. I didn't use art on

the top of my original Macross case but I'm sure you guys will. Artwork can

wrap around corners but it doesn't need to. Don't concern yourselves with

borders or other embellishments at this time. Just find the main artwork and

we'll go from there.

If you need specific dimensions, let me know.

So, going on from here....we need to start deciding on some images. I got the impression that if we get the images, Paul will design the case around the images we pick OR, we can design it ourselves.

I also have some preliminary price information. I am not going to post it until we get a little further along, but I think you guys will be VERY HAPPY.

So, that being said, please make your image recommendations here.

HINT - Big pics cost bandwidth dollars, so if it is huge, shrink it down a bit, or post a link to the full sized image, and I will compile them into viewable images.

We're off and running now!

Do we have any rough prices on this?  just a Ball-Park figure.  I am really interested in getting this, but before I commit 100% to it i need to know a price.

Rob

OK, price update for everyone who wants to know...

IF our quantity stays high, currently we have about 50 people interested in the 12 disc SDF case, and about 40 interested in a 3 disc Mac Plus case.

Basically, Paul will knock $5.00 off of his normal case price if we do this in quantity.

If quantities remain about what they are now or increase here is what I can do:

- the 12 DVD case alone @ $35 + shipping

- the 3 DVD case alone @ $30 + shipping

- both cases as a set @ $60 + shipping

Shipping in the US is $7.50 for the first item and $2.50 more for each

additional items.

OK, now, on to images!, we need some ideas guys. Cut & paste whatever images you want together, and get a rough draft, post it up here so we all can decide.

There seem to be some great ideas already for a Mac Plus case.

Here are my recommendations for the SDF Macross box:

For the back: Some form of SDF-1 shot. Needs to be a wide image to allow for the 12 discs.

Maybe something similar to this, with the Robotech removed. A space or nightime one might be better though.

post-4-1075866960_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

And just a UN Spacy kite and Zentraedi emblem over black for the top of the box.

Maybe something styled something similar like this for the long back could also work. No grid likes, actual Macross logo, etc.

MacrossWorld Exclusive in the lower left with the MW logo if Shawn allows.

post-4-1075867169_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis

How about this for the long shot of the SDF 1?

It lacks the RT logo, and it's a space shot.

What would be neat would be a ghost image of the crew superimposed over this.

NICE!!!!

Superimpose some ghost images of some of the cast in one area in the upper left maybe.

Also the MW exclusive w/ logo in the lower left or right.

Move the Macross logo to the top of the box between the UN Spacy and Zentraedi kites.

So far so good.

Edited by Anubis

Yeah, that'd be great for the spine, with some sort of MW logo in the upper left maybe? Definitely need the MW logo on the spine, since it'll be the most viewed side of the box. How about asking wolf13 for a nice render of his Macross in ship mode, against a star background?

cel_mac.jpg

Yeah, that'd be great for the spine, with some sort of MW logo in the upper left maybe? Definitely need the MW logo on the spine, since it'll be the most viewed side of the box. How about asking wolf13 for a nice render of his Macross in ship mode, against a star background?

Another good idea. I'd like to see a test render of that if he's willing to join in.

I still stand by my pics for the side images. Both similar styled artwork (dont know if it's the same guy or not), and also are two of my favorite art pieces.

Edited by Anubis

OK, I PM'd Wolf13 and asked him about the possiblity of getting an image, and the possibility of helping us get some images together.

Problem is though, that according to his profile, the last time he posted here was in November of 03. Hopefully he lurks from time to time.

One thing though... would it look wierd with Mikimoto's artwork on the sides, and a CGI image on the back?. Do we want to go all hand drawn traditional, or a mix, or all cg?.

Edited by Mechamaniac

OK, I PM'd Wolf13 and asked him about the possiblity of getting an image, and the possibility of helping us get some images together.

Problem is though, that according to his profile, the last time he posted here was in November of 03.  Hopefully he lurks from time to time.

One thing though... would it look wierd with Mikimoto's artwork on the sides, and a CGI image on the back?.  Do we want to go all hand drawn traditional, or a mix, or all cg?.

Hmm, that's true.

I guess it depends on what CG is used on the spine, wether characters are ghosted onto the image, and how well it blends in. If it clashes, then I would say go to all artwork,

If all else fails, we could use one of the Hasegawa valk art images for the spine, which should go well. An SDF-1 shot would be preferrable.

Either the VF-1S, Super Max 1A, or Strike Roy 1S would be good alternatives.

Maybe take Mechamaniac's SDF-1 (maybe do something different with the background (?), still looks pretty good though), or this SDF-1 against a space backdrop?

Edited by Anubis

DAMN :o:o:D

This guy is good.

Think that would clash with the two artwork pieces I suggested for the sides? I'm not sure. Be an interesting mix of old and new at least. Any other suggestions for the sides? Anything CG-ish? If we settle on CG images, something like this would be perfect for the back. Room to add the logo, and the MW exclusive blurb.

I'd still like to see some more artwork alternatives for the spine, too.

One of Wolf13's renders would work great if we can find the right background, which I'm sure one of us has.

It would be nice to mesh the spine with some actual artwork on the sides if possible.

Something like the background from the Hasegawa Super VF-1A Max would work good with the SDF-1.

Edited by Anubis

DAMN :o:o:D

This guy is good.

Think that would clash with the two artwork pieces I suggested for the sides? I'm not sure. Be an interesting mix of old and new at least. Any other suggestions for the sides? Anything CG-ish? If we settle on CG images, something like this would be perfect for the back. Room to add the logo, and the MW exclusive blurb.

I'd still like to see some more artwork alternatives for the spine, too.

One of Wolf13's renders would work great if we can find the right background, which I'm sure one of us has.

It would be nice to mesh the spine with some actual artwork on the sides if possible.

Something like the background from the Hasegawa Super VF-1A Max would work good with the SDF-1.

Well, there are good and bad points about both...

Original artwork is more classic, and generally truer to the anime. However, it is limited, and for what we are trying to do, we would have to give Paul some really high res versions of the images. He pointed out to me that most of the images on the MW Main site are at 72 DPI, and he would really need about 300 DPI. This means that he would either have to redo them, or that we would have to find someone with art books that could scan them in for us at 300 DPI or better.

When you run out of original artwork, but still want more, you have to go to screencaps. Screencaps are great, but it can be hard to find a really good one. IMHO, the scene in Mac Plus where both fighters are gliding sidy by side is the best scene in the series, but the animation on the planes is not that good. I had a hard time using it as a desktop image. Now, Mac Plus will be more forgiving on this issue if we have to to go to screencaps, but SDFM has some truly horrible animation, so we really might want to stick with original artwork, or high quality screencaps from DYRL.

CGI looks great, and the resolution is limitless. However, it's not always true to the anime, and unless we found a real master to tweak the CGI images so they would more closely resemble the look of the original artwork, or screencap, it would look out of place.

But, we all know that choosing the images and deciding on a final image is going to be the hardest part.

I don't get it... Who would want this?  The DVDs I have already came in a case... That one is good enough.

I don't get it. Why have a nice leatherbound edition of The Lord of the Rings when this beat-up paperback works just fine?

I don't get it. Why frame that poster so nicely when just nailing it to the wall works just as well?

I don't get it. Why wear that stylish leather jacket when this burlap sack keeps me just as warm?

Some of us like to "embroider" or enhance the things we love. . . nothing wrong with enhancing the appearance of the DVD cases.

I mean, really, by your standard, why would the people distributing DVDs put any effort into their packaging at all. Why not just send them out in plain paper CD-Envelopes?

Some find the Animeigo DVDs pretty darn ugly. . . and they wish something more colorful and fancy had been done.

To each their own. . .

H

Well explained... I got it.

I guess I was happy with the Animego ones.

I would only be willing to buy a new set of cases if it were REALLY awesome. Like a model of an ARMD platform that opened up to hold all the DVDs.

OK, Mac Plus ideas...

Fulcy suggested this image for the back of the box.... it has lots of open space to put the lettering.

Mechamaniacal

mcr162.jpg

As to the other sides, I was kicking around this idea.

On each side we could show the different rivalries

A montage of Lucy Guld and Sharon with Isamu on one side

And on the other side, Guld and Isamu and the valks with the ghost approaching from a distance.

And then maybe the Mac Plus logo on top

PHOTOSHOPPERS - I WILL PERSONALLY PAY FOR A CASE OF YOUR CHOICE IF YOUR IMAGE IS SELECTED BY THE MEMBERS. So, this is a paying job, granted, the pay aint much, but at least you get something. ;)

Edited by Mechamaniac

OK, Mac Plus ideas...

Fulcy suggested this image for the back of the box.... it has lots of open space to put the lettering.

Mechamaniacal

As to the other sides, I was kicking around this idea.

On each side we could show the different rivalries

A montage of Lucy Guld and Sharon with Isamu on one side

And on the other side, Guld and Isamu and the valks with the ghost approaching from a distance.

And then maybe the Mac Plus logo on top

That pic would be a good one great for the spine or the side, and gives some leeway to crop it since it's only 3 dvd's.

Due to the small size for the spine I was leaning towards some form of Sharon Apple, like this, with the "Macross Plus" title possible over it.

The sides, maybe a YF-19 one side yf-21 on the other. I really don't know, just they should be similar themed. Both hangar shots, both character shots, both flight shots.

The pic you showed would make a nice side though. Just need something to match it on the other.

post-4-1075951515_thumb.jpg

Edited by Anubis