VOTE NOW: MACROSS PLUS DVD KEEPCASE

Mechamaniac

224 members have voted

1. 1. VOTE NOW: MACROSS PLUS DVD KEEPCASE

• Yes! - SDF Macross 12 DVD's
    • Yes! - Macross Plus 3 DVD's (OVA & Movie)
    • Both
    • No thanks, I don't want to be associated with you fanboys!.

Nice DA!!!

Maybe we could replace the top image with one of the Hasegawa box arts showing a nice Valk?

And we need to find a place to have the Macross World specific stuff, what MW logo should we use?

Here's some info from Paul to keep in mind as well....

Dangard Ace made an excellent remark that I need to address for the benefit

of everyone looking for artwork. The pieces that I posted are indeed lighter

than the originals simply because these were processed when I was working on

my original design. I have to lighten all the artwork I use because in

effect, I am printing on silver, not white. But more importantly, everyone

should keep in mind that in the finished case, white doesn't exist. Anything

white in the artwork will be replaced by silver. The up side is that most

pastels become translucent and let the metal sheen through for a very nice

effect.

Nice work, DA...

But I also agree with Mechamaniac... there should definitely be a good Hase valk on there... on the top of the box would work nicely, since most of those shots are compositioned laterally.

Just catching up on the discussion here, definitely getting more interesting.

If you need any Photoshopping done, I'll be happy to help for free. Unfortunately, I don't really have any Macross art other than the original DVDs themselves and a reprint of Designworks and Perfect Memory.

Also, when you do find who's got the art, there are some definite rules on how to scan good images... though most mistakes could be corrected in Photoshop, it just makes the whole process more difficult and less "perfect".

Also it doesn't cost much at all to throw a CD-Rom with bigass scanned images in the mail... that's probably going to be the easiest way to get the scanned art to the photoshoppers and back to whosever putting it all together, and back to Senor Champagne.

I like Wolf13's ARMD shot fot the top of the box, but since we're (apparently) settling on artwork, then a Hasegawa shot may be good for the top. I'd say either of these cropped to fit: the Super Max 1A or the Strike 1S.

Does anyone have suitable high res versions of these?

That's perfect! :D Sweet! This has a very good balance between characters, SDF, and VF-1.

This box design get my vote. We just need to pick what Hasegawa art to use on the top, if we can get any high res scans of them at all.

Edited by Anubis

Actually, I like that Valk image for the top.

Remember we have to have somewhere light colored to place the MW logo and the Numbering etc...

One thing though, see my quote from Paul above. White may not come through as white since he is basically printing onto the Amaray case material, so rather than a true white, we would probably get a silver sheen, which IMHO would be kind of cool.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is a Box for SDF macross. I would much rather see Hikaru's VF-1J rather than the DYRL strike or VF-1A.

Hmmm... I was under the impression the box was for SDF and the movie...

Either way, I'd say the best bet is to go with the classic Skullfocker... it's the same either way.

One thing to keep in mind is that this is a Box for SDF macross. I would much rather see Hikaru's VF-1J rather than the DYRL strike or VF-1A.

Hmmm... I was under the impression the box was for SDF and the movie...

Either way, I'd say the best bet is to go with the classic Skullfocker... it's the same either way.

Blaine - you are correct, this box is for SDF macross AND DYRL?, so the Strike valk would be perfectly acceptable...

I adjusted the color on that SDF-1 pic and linked the large image file on this thread.

Also, if you want a beautiful VF-1J here's one by Brianw76. I'm sure he could provide a bigger, crisper rendering if asked.

post-4-1076111325_thumb.jpg

Edited by >EXO<

Guys here is a sample of my alternate coversfrom when i did the boxed set for Animeigo let me know what you guys think.

I think your talent is awesome!!

Look through the thread, we have several pages of running suggestions for a Mac Plus design, and an SDF Design.

We'd appreciate your input, and if you want to come up with a design of your own, we will be voting to see which one is chosen to be produced.

The designer of the winning image gets the case of their choice ON ME.

So, by all means, let's see what you can come up with.

Edited by Mechamaniac

Hey, what do you guys think of the possibility of using this MW Logo?

mwlogo2.gif

Obviously, remove the bluish background from around the banner, but we could use the inside area of the banner for the text, and case numbering etc.

Only real problem with this is that it clearly is a DYRL image (84 Summer) so it we could replace the 84 Summer with "World" then it could serve as a new Macross World logo as well.

Edited by Mechamaniac

Also, when you do find who's got the art, there are some definite rules on how to scan good images... though most mistakes could be corrected in Photoshop, it just makes the whole process more difficult and less "perfect".

Hey Blaine23, I've got a few Macross artbooks at my parents house (both TIA Macross Plus', the Gold Book, and some random SDF books). I'd gladly sort through them for suitable images if you'd be willing to show me the best way to scan them. :)

This one would be good... of course, it was the easiest one to grab off of the site.

Basically, DA's layout, but replacing the DYRL Hikaru with a Roy 1S.

The metallic shimmer from the top would be pretty sweet on this design.

Hey, what do you guys think of the possibility of using this MW Logo?

mwlogo2.gif

Obviously, remove the bluish background from around the banner, but we could use the inside area of the banner for the text, and case numbering etc.

Only real problem with this is that it clearly is a DYRL image (84 Summer) so it we could replace the 84 Summer with "World" then it could serve as a new Macross World logo as well.

Yeah, do that and the blurb can start with the logo (so "Macross World" will be covered, and then "Exclusive" afterword. Non-obtrusive, and pretty good looking. Not sure at all what font though. Go for the mettallic for the Exclusive maybe, all caps, a third or quarter the height of the logo centered?

Or keep the current style here, adjust the logo, take the outer blue border off, and do MW Exclusive in metallic, all caps.

Edited by Anubis

Maybe we tell Paul what text we want, and he can make it transparent, that way the metallic would be the actual metal of the case.

Nice Idea.

I'd probably get both.  Hey, where do those DVDs come from with the artwork already on them?  My Animeigos don't look anything like that.  Is that an HK release?

Thanks!

H

Hurin, I've seen the same artbox - it's a HK bootleg set, but a VERY nice looking one. Where did the rightside pic on DA's box come from? (the Hikaru/Misa/SDF pic) btw, I like the placement of the MW logo, but I think it might look nicer if it bordered the pic, instead of looking cut and pasted. I've also got an idea for a side of the MacPlus box

macross_5_t.jpg

It combines the Isamu shot with the desert cg YF-19, so everybody wins! Made by Sarcastic59, has an 800x600 and a 1024x768 size

Edited by uminoken

I could probably stretch it abit, but most likely I'm going to have to add more 'space' to it.

Left image: This is how it looks stretched to fill the entire back.

Right image: 'space' replacing the blackbars.

Adding the "space" worked out perfect to correct the size.

I could probably stretch it abit, but most likely I'm going to have to add more 'space' to it.

Right image:  'space' replacing the blackbars.

Yeah, that's the bomb!

Are there any contenders for this?, or am I paying for DA's case :lol:

I would definitely do that.. having the extra space leaves room for whatever logos, text, etc you may want to stick inthere.. but personally, I would go with the blue version that someone did. It looks a little more natural.

That Isamu/YF-19 pic is very good as well.. I found that site the other day, and downloaded all those backgrounds :)

Here's a fully colored version of the lineart I posted earlier, but I'm not sure about the colors. I know Guld's skin is more grey than pinkish, but how does this shade look?

post-4-1076220851_thumb.jpg

Right image:  'space' replacing the blackbars.

Yeah, that's the bomb!

Are there any contenders for this?, or am I paying for DA's case :lol:

Has anyone been able to find a scan of one of the other Hasegawa images, yet?

Once the top is finalized, I say Green Light.

Edited by Anubis

One possible idea I had for a Macross Plus box was to kind of go the reverse of the SDF box, and go for a simpler method. Using this image, wrapped around 3 sides, maybe with a YF-19 on one side, yf-21 on the other. Since there are only 3 discs, a good spine image may be harder to find, so I was thinking some kind of wraparound design this time.

Ideas?

post-4-1076221633_thumb.jpg

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH..... Thank you.. I've been looking for that logo, or at least a decent size image of it. :) Originally, that triangle thing with the logo at the top was the backdrop for one of the images I had wanted to use... but I didn't want to even think about redoing the tiny example I had. :)

Btw, I can get a scan of the Hasegawa VF-1J box if it's needed.

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH..... Thank you.. I've been looking for that logo, or at least a decent size image of it. :) Originally, that triangle thing with the logo at the top was the backdrop for one of the images I had wanted to use... but I didn't want to even think about redoing the tiny example I had. :)

Btw, I can get a scan of the Hasegawa VF-1J box if it's needed.

How about using that logo as the background for a composite image of the YF-19, YF021 and Ghost. Sort of showing the rivalry between the machines on one side.

Then use the other image you have on the other side showing the love triangles and rivalry between the people (and Sharon).

Then the desert image on the spine...