VOTE NOW: MACROSS PLUS DVD KEEPCASE

Mechamaniac

224 members have voted

1. 1. VOTE NOW: MACROSS PLUS DVD KEEPCASE

• Yes! - SDF Macross 12 DVD's
    • Yes! - Macross Plus 3 DVD's (OVA & Movie)
    • Both
    • No thanks, I don't want to be associated with you fanboys!.

Hey garoquel, did you ever make a design for the boxcase's slipcover? If so, would you mind us using it? Btw, your individual DVD jackets are amazing. :blink:

Another thing, am I the only one bothered by the fact that despite that while DYRL is only 1 disc of the 13, it makes up for 50% (or more, depending on the design) of the box's art? <_<

Hey garoquel, did you ever make a design for the boxcase's slipcover?  If so, would you mind us using it?  Btw, your individual DVD jackets are amazing.  :blink:

Another thing, am I the only one bothered by the fact that despite that while DYRL is only 1 disc of the 13, it makes up for 50% (or more, depending on the design) of the box's art?  <_<

Actually two sides, technically. Gorgeous pics for the sides, the smaller sides if that's any consolation. The spine and the final hasegawa top (tentative?) are both SDF Macross shots. If we can't get the 1S it may well be the 1J, so once again I plea for someone to scan the box art from the 1S Hasegawa and send it to Mechamaniac or Danguard Ace.

I've always loved the image from that Famicom cover. I never know it was from there, but I love the image.

If anyone else has suitalble high-res images, please continue to feel free to show samples here. What we have is the current working model based on what fits well together and what we've been able to obtain. I think it has come together wonderfully, just the top escapes completion still.

Edited by Anubis

If we can't get the 1S it may well be the 1J, so once again I plea for someone to scan the box art from the 1S Hasegawa and send it to Mechamaniac or Danguard Ace.

If nobody can scan in the -1S, I can scan in the Hase -1J box art. I have several -1Js and -1As, but no -1Ss, sadly...

If we can't get the 1S it may well be the 1J, so once again I plea for someone to scan the box art from the 1S Hasegawa and send it to Mechamaniac or Danguard Ace.

If nobody can scan in the -1S, I can scan in the Hase -1J box art. I have several -1Js and -1As, but no -1Ss, sadly...

It's at least something for now, so thanks. If you do, please remember to make it in .tif format, and large enough/at least 300dpi to be sized to what was specified before for the top a little while back.

Edited by Anubis

OK, we really need to start pinning this down....

So, we seem to be down to a choice of three images for the background....

So, which of the following do would you prefer....

Here is the current.... CHOICE 1

box1.jpg

Here are the other choices....

CHOICE 2

sdf1.jpg

CHOICE 3

sdfrt.jpg

Remember, the point here is to try to come to as much of a consensus as we can. Hopefully noone dislikes what we have so far as to drop out as that may change the price of the boxes.

Also, is everyone OK with the choices for the box sides??

Once we have finalized the image, I will contact Paul about moving this along to the pre-order stage or however he wants to work it.

Once we get the SDF boxed set going, we can concentrate on the Mac Plus box.

Please respond with your choice for the back image.

Defintely Choice 3 for the back image, for me.

It shows the SDF better, plus it's got little valks... does anybody have any idea where to come up with the image other than the Robotech web version? Aside from the watermark, the previously mentioned DPI problem would be a bitch.

I'm still going with choice 1. We already have little valks on one of the sides, and that image goes with better with the sides IMO. As said before, it is also very easy to extend the space background to fit the dimensions of the box. Much more difficult to do with the take off shot, although it is a nice image. I wouldn't mind seeing a test workup though for comparison purposes.

I would still like to see -1S on the top of the box though. If not then I can deal with the -1A or -1J. I do kind of agree with the argument against using the DYRL -1A for the top though. The two DYRL images from the sides are enough for that, leaving the back and top for Macross TV.

Edited by Anubis

Choice number 1(obviously)  :p since I can scan the poster. 

Also wanted to point out to people who want Choice 3 (which is also a good image) what needs to be done to make the image fit the spine.  I've overlayed it on top of choice 1.

You thought of it while I was typing about a test shot.

Yeah, 1 looks a lot better.

Side note, would 3 work as a top image? It's dimensions look about right.

What do you guys think? Hasegawa Valk or image 3 possibly? Is there a scan even available to use with that either?

Edited by Anubis

Choice number 1(obviously) :p since I can scan the poster.

Also wanted to point out to people who want Choice 3 (which is also a good image) what needs to be done to make the image fit the spine. I've overlayed it on top of choice 1.

I totally agree with the easiest being choice 1 (particularly since you've got the poster)...

But if we wanted to use this image, we could use Paul's idea of tying the art together to the other sides of the box in order to make the image fit better, ratio-wise.

I think this looks pretty good -

post-4-1076618729_thumb.jpg

does anybody have any idea where to come up with the image other than the Robotech web version?  Aside from the watermark, the previously mentioned DPI problem would be a bitch.

If I'm not mistaken, that image of the SDF taking off came from RT Art 1 or RT Art 2. If that's the case, it was probably actually drawn by one of their artists back in the day.

We might want to double check that before we use that image. The last thing we need is HG Lackeys swarming around us looking for .05 cents because we used their image.

Anyone have RT Art 1 handy?. I have it, but it is packed away.

Edited by Mechamaniac

It's a macross image.

"Doesn't anybody look at anything but the forums anymore?! MW is more then just the forums!!!" :lol:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/books/...lustrations.htm

Nah, not too keen on doing it Paul's way with image 3. You lose part of the engine and part of the main booms to the sides of the box. Would look 'off' to me. Print out the image and fold it and you'll see what I mean. I don't mind PC's way with image 1 because it's only edges of the arm tips that get lost but the main part of Macross is still in the picture.

It's a macross image.

"Doesn't anybody look at anything but the forums anymore?! MW is more then just the forums!!!" :lol:

http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/books/...lustrations.htm

Nah, not too keen on doing it Paul's way with image 3. You lose part of the engine and part of the main booms to the sides of the box. Would look 'off' to me. Print out the image and fold it and you'll see what I mean. I don't mind PC's way with image 1 because it's only edges of the arm tips that get lost but the main part of Macross is still in the picture.

Heh, you forgot to use your "[shawn] [/shawn]" tags in your lament for the main site, DA.

I can see your point about losing some of the boosters and arms, but I still think it makes for a better representation of the SDF than the other pic. It's just too dark and the SDF looks so flat from that perspective.

Of course, I'm always thrilled with my own photoshop work.... for a few hours at least. :p

I just realized that I do have Robotech Art 1 handy on the shelf at home. I'll scan through it tonight and see if there's anything else we might want in it.

I like the current one (choice #1) - though I would prefer it with the color tweaks that Exo did a little while ago (of course done on a high-res scan, though)

I'll see about getting the -1A and -1J boxes scanned in tomorrow afternoon (need some time to relax tonight, plus my scanner is on a different comp right now...)

If I'm not mistaken, that image of the SDF taking off came from RT Art 1 or RT Art 2. If that's the case, it was probably actually drawn by one of their artists back in the day.

I've yet to see any decent Macross artwork commissioned by HG. If you see anything that looks great that they've used in their promos or other materials, you can bet that it originally came out of Japan. I've long ago learned to assume that if it looks good, and it's been around for a while, HG didn't do it. :)

The new stuff they're using for the MPCs and stuff is okay. . . but it looks to cartoon-ey for me.

H

I'm really liking #1. I think that, in this situation, we've gotta go with a Mikimoto work. The others just don't have that Macross feel to them. Plus, his work will look great on the aluminum.

However, a few months ago, someone posted a tweaked version of that image, in which the heavy green emphasis was changed to a blue one, which IMO looked better, and would look great on the box.

As for the image not quite fitting, I had a thought about that, too. Why not just have the leterboxes plain black and put in "Macross World" (macross on top, world on the bottom) in bare aluminum. Maybe have the text flanked by the MW logo and the UNS logo.

However, a few months ago, someone posted a tweaked version of that image, in which the heavy green emphasis was changed to a blue one, which IMO looked better, and would look great on the box.

Hey, if you can find that image post it up. We're taking all takers at this point.

At MM's request, I cleaned the dirty stink of "robotech.com" watermark off of the design. ;)

Just in case any of you are wondering, this art, which we're calling "Choice 3" is NOT Robotech art. It is Macross art that HG has perverted to its own use, so don't let that cloud your judgement too much.

You can see the original here on the main site.

Anyway, I think they're all great choices... the only reason I like Choice 3 is that is looks a nice artistic version of the SDF from the TV series and I like the dramatic angle it's shown at.

post-4-1076687361_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blaine23

i will like to have this on the top part off the dvd box i think will look nice,

:D:D:D

Awesome image :wub:

Got it in the right dpi and res we can give it a try at least.

i will like to have this on the top part off the dvd box i think will look nice,

:D  :D  :D

Awesome image :wub:

Got it in the right dpi and res we can give it a try at least.

One thing to remember though is that white will not print out as white, it will be more of a transparency, so it will be more silver.

At MM's request, I cleaned the dirty stink of "robotech.com" watermark off of the design. ;)

Just in case any of you are wondering, this art, which we're calling "Choice 3" is NOT Robotech art. It is Macross art that HG has perverted to its own use, so don't let that cloud your judgement too much.

You can see the original here on the main site.

Anyway, I think they're all great choices... the only reason I like Choice 3 is that is looks a nice artistic version of the SDF from the TV series and I like the dramatic angle it's shown at.

Can we swap the left and right images so that Minmay is pointing to the SDF-1?

I have to vote for Blaine's image currently. So far, that one pretty much rocks.

Of course, from my standpoint that sucks becuase I can't discount all the work that Dangard Ace did initially, so if we go with Blaine's design, looks like I'll be buying a case for each of you :lol: .

:rolleyes:

Damn, I have to say Blaine's is starting to look pretty good. There is a good scan to use of the take off shot right? Switching the side images was a good idea. It looks good with Minmei pointing towards the ship like that, and the engine doesn't intrude much on the Hikaru/Misa pic.

If there's no VF-1S Hasegawa shot for the top (has no one found one yet? :( ), maybe we should take these to a new poll soon between the choice 1 and 3 for the final box. It's kind of a tough choice right now, I can't decide yet.

hey i just thought of something..what are the licensing issues using this artwork??

haha just kidding.

the newest update looks pretty good. the hikaru and misa's pic seems to flow with the macross center pic.

so no new hi-quality inserts? how much would it cost to have those printed out anyway?

kudos to the designers invovled.

EDIT - on a 2nd glance that valkyrie doesn't look right. i think it should be more centered on the flap rather than offset.

Edited by MrDisco

Does anyone have a larger picture of the Hikaru and Misa picture? At this small size they look kind of funny. I'm just afraid that a larger picture would just look worse.

Keep in mind that there are plenty of images on the main site that we could probably use also.

Anyone working on a Mac Plus case??? Anyone??? :unsure:

Does anyone have a larger picture of the Hikaru and Misa picture? At this small size they look kind of funny. I'm just afraid that a larger picture would just look worse.

Keep in mind that there are plenty of images on the main site that we could probably use also.

Anyone working on a Mac Plus case??? Anyone??? :unsure:

We have several ideas for the Mac Plus case, but we are trying to get the SDF case done first.

There's enough confusion in this thread already without trying to design two boxes at once. :blink::unsure:

Looks like we are pretty close to the end of the SDF box, so it shouldnt be too much longer before we can concentrate on the Mac Plus case.