Bandai High Grade 1/100 YF-19 model kit

kajnrig

I had one on backorder at HLJ for the longest time. I just cancelled it a little while ago. I can't believe I found 3 at 3 different local stores before HLJ could even ship me ONE, which I had preordered as soon as it was posted on the website. Crazy!

I hope it won't be as bad with the subsequent 1/100 VF releases.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

So I looked into this kit as the scale and posebility got my attention...

But what I don't get is that with all the parts forming, plane mode has that ugly exposed block where the stand connects. 

image.jpeg.f5ec9de090fc5d22c9bd85b2059b4171.jpeg

It’s one of the things I don’t like about the kit. Battroid and gerwalk look pretty great, even though I don’t like the yf-19 gerwalk mode. The fighter looks clunky since they wanted to keep the legs and the connector goes in very odd for the stand. I  probably will just make a better connector piece for it once it’s all finished 

6 hours ago, Big s said:

It’s one of the things I don’t like about the kit. Battroid and gerwalk look pretty great, even though I don’t like the yf-19 gerwalk mode. The fighter looks clunky since they wanted to keep the legs and the connector goes in very odd for the stand. I  probably will just make a better connector piece for it once it’s all finished 

Yeah, the chunky legs in plane mode has aerodynamicists laughing on the floor. 

But this is the thing, for the builder having to do such mods, means the purpose of parts forming failed.  

9 hours ago, Raikkonen said:

Yeah, the chunky legs in plane mode has aerodynamicists laughing on the floor. 

But this is the thing, for the builder having to do such mods, means the purpose of parts forming failed.  

I’ll probably end up a broken record, but I still believe the best way to do things with the older designs, is just to do three separate kits. One for each mode. Tomy Tech and wave did the two kit mix and match, but then to display all modes at once you had to buy two of each kit.

as far as the yf-19, the Bandai kit still is the best battroid kit and the best battroid toy would probably be the revoltech. All the toys toys have super skinny legs or low articulation. And the VF-19 kit was very floppy, but a nice try for the time

3 hours ago, Big s said:

as far as the yf-19, the Bandai kit still is the best battroid kit and the best battroid toy would probably be the revoltech. All the toys toys have super skinny legs or low articulation. And the VF-19 kit was very floppy, but a nice try for the time

I had the Revoltech one. Sold it as the gummy body with ratchet joints was quite cheap. 

• 2 weeks later...

Took a little time today, and slapped my copy of this kit together.. yeah, it's probably going to stay in battroid forever. :p 

It's not the worst fighter mode I've seen, but it's not great.  Reminds me a little of the original 1/72 Yamato toys.  The toes are about twice as big as the need to be, and the heels are about three times as big as they should be, while the legs are massive chunks, and they don't even try to make an excuse for why there are no arms in fighter mode at all.  The way they curved the backs of the lower legs also throws the tail hinges off-angle at a weird slant, and kind of ruins what would otherwise be a mostly alright profile.  It's kind of all over the place.  I did find it kind of cute that they included slots to mount a fold booster. :lol: 

Not a bad little build though.  Decided to challenge myself and go without the instructions, and it came out alright.  The knee hinges were the only tricky part, since they can go together a few different ways.

One odd thing is that Bandai went very "minimum effort" on this one.. there's a whole lot of asymmetrical assembly, because they just didn't feel like making dedicated left and right versions of a lot of parts.  The arms, wings, feet, and most of the leg joints are identical for left and right, most of which feels pretty justified, but even the rear landing gear are identical, with pegs for tires on both sides, so you have to clip one off (not that there's any actual reason to use them, of course, and Bandai seems to be fully aware of this).

All in all, a pretty nice little posable Battroid kit.  Don't fool yourself by thinking you can make a decent fighter with it though.  Gerwalk is okay, but it's still clunky and awkward because it's the YF-19.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2023 at 5:35 PM, twich said:

Just picked this kit up at the local HobbyTown USA. Have to say I’m pretty excited to see this located in a retail store in Spokane, WA…..of all places.

Twich

Hobby town out here in So Cal has them as well. It seems they really jumped on the Bandai-wagon and have quite a lot of great kits lately. I’d say it was about three years ago that they were kinda scarce and five years ago, it was almost a rumor that maybe they had a gundam or two.

41 minutes ago, Big s said:

Hobby town out here in So Cal has them as well. It seems they really jumped on the Bandai-wagon and have quite a lot of great kits lately. I’d say it was about three years ago that they were kinda scarce and five years ago, it was almost a rumor that maybe they had a gundam or two.

Used to be that was the only place to get Gundams, then, like you said, nothing, now they have a wonderful stock! Even a Perfect Grade Strike Freedom!

Twich

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 2/5/2023 at 9:45 PM, Gabe Q said:

I'm in the same boat. The decal sheet landed in my private warehouse but the kit didn't. I figure not as many people ordered the decals as the kit so there was no problem completing that part of the order. I hope they get some more stock soon. 

Here I am, a year later and my order for my kit was finally fulfilled. Now I gotta wait for enough stuff to buy to fill out a whole shipment from HLJ. A whole year it took!!!

30 minutes ago, Gabe Q said:

Here I am, a year later and my order for my kit was finally fulfilled. Now I gotta wait for enough stuff to buy to fill out a whole shipment from HLJ. A whole year it took!!!

HLJ just surprised me with a YF-29 Max. I was just going to buy extras local, but I forgot to cancel my HLJ pre-order.