BattleStar Galactica

Myersjessee

Still wondering if anybody here has the Colonial Viper & Cylon Raider toys from the original series made by Joyride Studios.

Thinking of buying them and want to know if they are worth getting?

Graham

It's a bit buried now, but waaaaay back in this thread I posted some pictures and a quick review of the Joyride toys.

Here....

I have more detailed photos I took for someone here who was interested in how detailed they were...don't know if I still have the photos on my drive at home or not, if anyone is interested.

Still wondering if anybody here has the Colonial Viper & Cylon Raider toys from the original series made by Joyride Studios.

Thinking of buying them and want to know if they are worth getting?

Graham

It's a bit buried now, but waaaaay back in this thread I posted some pictures and a quick review of the Joyride toys.

Here....

I have more detailed photos I took for someone here who was interested in how detailed they were...don't know if I still have the photos on my drive at home or not, if anyone is interested.

The Joyride toys are really nice. They are based (i.e. smaller size) on the original Revell models. They share some virtues and deffects from those 80s models. The Cylon Raider has even two circular shapes were the original infamous missile shooter was located.

One of the best improvements over the old models is the possibility of opening the cockpits (the Revell Viper had no clear canopy!!) and pilots (the Viper's landing gears also a nice addition!!)

I guess their scale is roughly 1/100 or 1/72.

Any news on the new series toys or models (I mean plastic not resin)?

Anybody heard any news about toys and/or models coming of the updated designs?

Graham

Got these teeny die-cast suckers for now just because they looked cool:

Base.jpg

MKVII.jpg

Raider.jpg

Viper.jpg

Where are those from?

Graham

I wonder why anyone hasn't said that diecast galactica looks like a squished runabout from star trek DS9

Southpaw Samurai Posted on Apr 6 2005, 06:03 AM

Here....

I believe GRAHAM's interested to see them pics :) !

Plethora of naked Boomers = Heaven on Earth

Plethora of naked Boomers = Heaven on Earth = Bits of Boomers sprinkling down from the Heavens to the Earths... :lol:

Well, that's what they get for petting the nuke. They are cylons, they can disarm a bomb cant they?

Oh, and I think some X-wings(particularly Luke's) are supposed to have shorter engines on the bottom. ;)

Don't want to drag this too off topic from Galactica to SW, but are you sure of that?

To the best of my knowledge all X-Wings have 4 engines of the same length and it's only the Action Fleet toy that has the lower two engines significantly shorter than the upper pair.

AFAIK, both the Fine Molds X-Wing model kit & the Code 3 X-Wing collectable, which are the most realistic interpretations to date have 4 same length engines.

Graham

Oh, and I think some X-wings(particularly Luke's) are supposed to have shorter engines on the bottom. ;)

Don't want to drag this too off topic from Galactica to SW, but are you sure of that?

To the best of my knowledge all X-Wings have 4 engines of the same length and it's only the Action Fleet toy that has the lower two engines significantly shorter than the upper pair.

AFAIK, both the Fine Molds X-Wing model kit & the Code 3 X-Wing collectable, which are the most realistic interpretations to date have 4 same length engines.

Graham

I did a Google search but didn't turn up anything good. I clearly remember having a model kit back in the day that came with two different engine lengths and instructions on which engines to use depending on which number you put on the wings. I still have it floating around here somewhere.

Here's a pic of the studio model of red 3 that kinda shows the engines:

post-26-1112841372_thumb.jpg

Funny you mention that, because you never see a HUD, nor any look down deal like the original show...they do have huge screens in the cockpit, but the only thing I've seen was the DRADIS screen...I'm guessing it's a helmet displayed HUD or something. Maybe they'll show something in season 2.

They do call out, "Tone and lock" though...so maybe it's so low tech, all they have is an audible tone (like a Sidewinder missile) when something's in their range/sights of their guns.

Edited by Gaijin

Funny you mention that, because you never see a HUD, nor any look down deal like the original show...they do have huge screens in the cockpit, but the only thing I've seen was the DRADIS screen.

So possibly the MK II & MK VII don't even have look down gun sights!?

Wonder how they aim their guns?

Graham

Hmm....definitely no HUD then. So I guess that either there is no aiming recticle or it appears on that screen below the front canopy glass, which is not good as it forces the pilot to look down and take their eyes off the target.

The X-Wing (in fact I think all SW figters) also suffer from lack of HUDs).

Graham

But wouldn't HUDs block faces, at least partially? They might've just been sacrificed for the sake of seeing the actors. Granted I can't remember at the moment whether you could see the HUDs in movies using real-world aircraft like Top Gun. I also don't know if F-14s even have HUDs, I just assume so ... It's been a long day ...

Pretty much every modern day jet fighter has a HUD to display aiming data and other vital information such as airspeed, altitude etc. I can't think of a modern fighter that doesn't have a HUD these days.

In a combat situation a pilot does not want to have to keep constantly looking down at cockpit instruments and thus loose situational awareness.

Some of the newer HUDs like on the F22 and Eurofighter are quite wide angle and large. Scroll down this page. Looks like the F22 and Eurofighter actually use the same HUD. That I did not know.

Even in WWII most fighters had gunsights mounted in the pilots line of sight.

Having to look downwards at a monitor like in original BSG and SW to see your aiming cross hair is pretty silly and impractical.

You can see that if the Vipers in BSG had a HUD like the Eurofighter HUD (pic below), it would not really block the actors face much.

A developing real world trend seems to be to have helmet-mounted sights, with aiming info and other data displayed on a monacle or the visor. Perhaps the pilot helmets in the new BSG have this feature. Possibly the aiming recticle is even beamed directly onto the pilots retina?

Graham

Let's see:

1. According to the SW Vehicles guide (can never remember exact title) the X-Wing normally has Incom "4L4" engines, with 4j.4 engines as an alternate installation. Perhaps Red 3 has the 4j.4's, and some even have 2x 4L4 and 2x 4j.4's. Mixing engines is quite possible on airliners, though rarely done AFAIK. Can't think of any military fighter etc. that ever mixes sub-types. (Though not much reason it can't be done, most modern engines can "recognize" a mix of types and automatically lower the performance of the other engines to match the least-powerful engine installed, so they all behave the same). In any case if it's an "approved" mixing of types, they behave so similarly anyways you probably wouldn't notice a difference. (Actually, acceleration rates are the main thing, total thrust etc. isn't so much a factor as how the engines "behave")

2. Rebel ships have their handy "targeting computer" that comes out in front of the pilot's eyes for "critical" targeting. Unless you're using The Force to target...

3. If you want to see a big HUD, look at a USAF Block 40 or 42 F-16. Those are huge. Much bigger in real life (heh heh) than you'd think from the pics. It's very similar to my current view sitting here typing this in front of my monitor. Though a Block 40/42 HUD has very thick framing, unlike the "frameless" EF-2000 HUD pic Graham posted.

4. I can't find any mention at all of the first fighter with a HUD. F-14? (Plenty of F-4's have HUD's NOW, but none were built with one AFAIK---while they did have a "glass plate with things projected on it" it's a floating gunsight only--no speed/alt/G/alpha/vector/range etc)

5. I'm going to agree with Skippy and say it's purely to see the actor's faces. Like the helmet design in that "Stealth" movie. :)

Hmmm..they're replayin' the whole season...now all of you who missed it can catch up!!

"All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again"... :lol:

Now young people will start saying that and others will think Peter Pan is making a comeback.

:D

Edited by Gaijin

It's probably a helmet HUD, but I am willing to overlook that little fault, for now. The only part of the fighter designs taht really ticked me off was when Adama made reference to THRUST PEDAL!!!! Fighter planes use throttles to control thrust and rudder pedals for control, AARRGGGHHH!!!

It's probably a helmet HUD, but I am willing to overlook that little fault, for now. The only part of the fighter designs taht really ticked me off was when Adama made reference to THRUST PEDAL!!!! Fighter planes use throttles to control thrust and rudder pedals for control, AARRGGGHHH!!!

Said the same thing on SSM and it was suggested that he meant the Rudder pedal, but in space when you hit the rudder it would cause thrusters to fire to effect yaw.

It's probably a helmet HUD, but I am willing to overlook that little fault, for now.  The only part of the fighter designs taht really ticked me off was when Adama made reference to THRUST PEDAL!!!!  Fighter planes use throttles to control thrust and rudder pedals for control, AARRGGGHHH!!!

Said the same thing on SSM and it was suggested that he meant the Rudder pedal, but in space when you hit the rudder it would cause thrusters to fire to effect yaw.

I hope that's what he really meant, otherwise, arrgh, stupid hollywood writers need to get time in a plane before writing about them, the controls are not like in cars.

But wouldn't HUDs block faces, at least partially? They might've just been sacrificed for the sake of seeing the actors. Granted I can't remember at the moment whether you could see the HUDs in movies using real-world aircraft like Top Gun. I also don't know if F-14s even have HUDs, I just assume so ... It's been a long day ...

Yes F-14's had HUDs. Even the Apache have HUDs. I assume they use the helmets HUDs in BSG. In Star Wars, I dunno if there was a HUD. I know in the Xwing series, there was a HUD. In the Rogue Squadron series on the Game Cube, they was a HUD as well.

here's a pic of a pilot... no sign of HUD, reflected or otherwise... maybe they can add in that effect later, but not really necessary. On another note I really like it when you can see the missiles and the explosions reflecting off the ships and helmets...

pilot.jpg

I don't recall Rogue Squadron games having a HUD. IIRC most every "recent" SW flight sim etc (X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Rogue Squadron etc) have a gunsight, but not a true HUD. As I mentioned with the F-4, if all you have is a green circle and a dot moving around (and a little box surrounding the target), that's not a HUD. It's simply to help you aim.

I don't recall Rogue Squadron games having a HUD. IIRC most every "recent" SW flight sim etc (X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Rogue Squadron etc) have a gunsight, but not a true HUD. As I mentioned with the F-4, if all you have is a green circle and a dot moving around (and a little box surrounding the target), that's not a HUD. It's simply to help you aim.

In the RS games, I think you are right. My bad. They have targeting computers. In Xwing series you can see the what ship you are targeting.

As fro the Boomers, I like to see a close up if she is reaaly naked. :wub::wub:

It's probably a helmet HUD, but I am willing to overlook that little fault, for now.  The only part of the fighter designs taht really ticked me off was when Adama made reference to THRUST PEDAL!!!!  Fighter planes use throttles to control thrust and rudder pedals for control, AARRGGGHHH!!!

I hope that's what he really meant, otherwise, arrgh, stupid hollywood writers need to get time in a plane before writing about them, the controls are not like in cars.

Yeah, that's I assumed he meant, since he said "thruster pedal" not "thrust pedal." I assumed he meant the pedal to control the yaw thrusters.

Nice as that scene is, I would prefer some more variety, through in a few naked Starbucks and Sixes and we got ourselves a party, sorry guys, all for me, lol.

ewwww, don't say naked Starbucks, it's just wrong to want to see Dirk Benedict naked.

Scary.... although if it was Sixes, just let me know how many times and how many ways humanity need to be betrayed.