25 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

So I started watching One Piece because I'm still paying for Netflix and just finished S3 of The Witcher....so have to try and justify the monthly bill!

I have to say I am enjoying it so far....I couldn't get past 2 episodes of the original cartoon so was expecting the worst for the live-action (especially since I couldn't get past the first episode of the last "anime live-action" adaptation on Netflix)....I think I know why I am making it further on the live-action version...and it is mostly for the same reason I can't stand anime in general...the voice actors they use in the dubs are awful and just turn me off from continuing to watch pretty much all recent anime....i like the actors chosen for this show and somehow find myself liking Monkey!  He's a "simpleton" as one character described him, but somewhat likeable..and I look forward each time he warns his enemies when they "mess with his friends"....anyways, I think they have captured "enough" of the silliness of the "One Piece World" so it is not completely ridiculous, like the Snail Phone?  Can someone explain that....or better yet...don't!....It is just enough weirdness to allow me to suspend disbelief and still manage to enjoy visiting this strange world for an hour or so at a time...

I haven’t tried it yet, but like you I’ll probably at least think it’s better than the horrible anime, and maybe I might actually like it. I have a buddy at work that hates the anime even more and said he’s gonna give this a watch, so I’m curious about his reaction to it

59 minutes ago, jvmacross said:

anyways, I think they have captured "enough" of the silliness of the "One Piece World" so it is not completely ridiculous, like the Snail Phone?  Can someone explain that....or better yet...don't!....It is just enough weirdness to allow me to suspend disbelief and still manage to enjoy visiting this strange world for an hour or so at a time...

... yeah... so... about that... there is no explanation.  Those are just a thing that exists.

This is a world where they had two-way radio in the Age of Sail thanks to telepathic snails.

Why do they change to look like whoever's calling?  We don't know, it runs on cartoon logic.

Normally the explanation for any anachronistic technology would be "blame Dr. Vegapunk" but there's no evidence he's even involved.

13 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

... yeah... so... about that... there is no explanation.  Those are just a thing that exists.

This is a world where they had two-way radio in the Age of Sail thanks to telepathic snails.

Why do they change to look like whoever's calling?  We don't know, it runs on cartoon logic.

Normally the explanation for any anachronistic technology would be "blame Dr. Vegapunk" but there's no evidence he's even involved.

OK, I had to look up "Dr. Vegapunk"...I thought you were using some kind of euphemism!

Anyways, as I said before, I am liking the show so far and thus am willing to "accept" some of the weirdness as long as I continue to stay entertained....plus, I actually like the actors...they play well off each other and especially off of Monkey's inexplicable and inexhaustible positive attitude!

Edited by jvmacross

Questioning technology in these super long chaotic anime shows will just hurt your head. It’s like the world of Dragon ball has the most high tech inventions In little capsules, but only one city in that world is more than a run down farming town. Or there’s the occasional tech in Naruto, but every one relies on the Naruto run to get any where, or that they have stylish clothing, but all wear the same open toed combat boots. I just think we’re not supposed to question it and just go with the flow or ignore the shows altogether 

1 hour ago, jvmacross said:

OK, I had to look up "Dr. Vegapunk"...I thought you were using some kind of euphemism!

When it comes to One Piece, it's basically the equivalent of "a wizard did it"... he's the wizard scientist who did it.

33 minutes ago, Big s said:

Questioning technology in these super long chaotic anime shows will just hurt your head.

Normally, yeah... One Piece has avoided a lot of that in two ways:

The first is a historical period called the Void Century...

Spoiler

... a period in history that directly precedes the establishment of the modern World Government.

The World Government destroyed all records of what happened during the Void Century, and imposed an over-the-top "we'll kill you and everyone on your island too" death penalty on anyone who acquires knowledge of the events of the Void Century or a working knowledge of the language used in the indestructible stelae which contain text documenting the Void Century called "Poniglyphs".  Little has been said, but it's been indicated that civilization had a much higher technological standard during the Void Century (incl. knowledge of genetic engineering and cybernetics) and that that civilization was destroyed in some kind of world war that created the present state of the world in political and geographic terms.

The second is the enigmatic genius Dr. Vegapunk...

Spoiler

... an enigmatic researcher in the employ of the World Government who has been studying, recreating, and improving upon the technology of the Void Century and creating things like cyborg soldiers, robots, clones, and even ways to copy devil fruit powers.

Pretty much all anachronistic tech in the series can be attributed to one of those two origins... and backwards places are simply isolated by problematic geography.  (The world of One Piece is INCREDIBLY messed up.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Was reading online about some of the crazy characters that were left out likely due to budgetary constraints....wonder if any of them make it to a possible Season 2?

To anyone who has actually followed the manga or anime....how much of the storyline does Season 1 cover?

Hey JVM. I found this cosmopolitan link. A breakdown on what part of the anime and manga the episodes are based from. It's too bad they didn't include the episode or manga chapter title.

I know I don't follow the manga and anime but hope this helps. :good: 

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/tv/a44967358/one-piece-live-action-episodes-anime-manga/

3 minutes ago, no3Ljm said:

Hey JVM. I found this cosmopolitan link. A breakdown on what part of the anime and manga the episodes are based from. It's too bad they didn't include the episode or manga chapter title.

I know I don't follow the manga and anime but hope this helps. :good: 

https://www.cosmopolitan.com/entertainment/tv/a44967358/one-piece-live-action-episodes-anime-manga/

Thanks...looks like there is a lot of info about this on the webs...

Found this one...less than 10% covered...

https://www.whats-on-netflix.com/news/how-much-of-the-manga-has-netflixs-one-piece-adapted-so-far/

Netflix will need to work fast while these actors still are young...lol

Was reading online about some of the crazy characters that were left out likely due to budgetary constraints....wonder if any of them make it to a possible Season 2?

To anyone who has actually followed the manga or anime....how much of the storyline does Season 1 cover?

I covered this one a while back based on the trailers.

It looks like season one is a pretty condensed adaptation of the East Blue Saga, the first six story arcs and approximately the first 100 chapters of the manga. 

The first four story arcs (Romance Dawn, Orange Town, Syrup Village, and Baratie) are where Luffy acquires Zoro, Nami, Usopp, and Sanji respectively.  The fifth, Arlong Park, is the fight against the fishman pirates, and the sixth (Loguetown) is the windup to Luffy and his crew actually entering the Grand Line where the main story kicks off.

(Basically, this entire season is prologue.)

6 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I covered this one a while back based on the trailers.

It looks like season one is a pretty condensed adaptation of the East Blue Saga, the first six story arcs and approximately the first 100 chapters of the manga. 

The first four story arcs (Romance Dawn, Orange Town, Syrup Village, and Baratie) are where Luffy acquires Zoro, Nami, Usopp, and Sanji respectively.  The fifth, Arlong Park, is the fight against the fishman pirates, and the sixth (Loguetown) is the windup to Luffy and his crew actually entering the Grand Line where the main story kicks off.

(Basically, this entire season is prologue.)

Please tell me that Brook will be in this!

(BTW: does anyone else think Brook resembles Slash from Guns N' Roses? )

7 minutes ago, pengbuzz said:

Had to look him up...and yes, he does...it's mentioned in his wiki page too...lol

This show is going to get really expensive for Netflix....so hope the viewership is there to rationalize the expense in continuing to create it properly...

2 hours ago, pengbuzz said:

Assuming they get that far, probably.

If ~100 chapters = 1 season or 1 Saga = 1 season, we're looking at the possibility of Brook in season 5 or thereabouts?

Season one is a cut-down version of the East Blue Saga, so presumably next season will be the Alabasta Saga with Baroque Works as the Big Bad (which they teased in this season), then Sky Island, then Water 7, then Thriller Bark, the Summit War, Fishman Island and the timeskip, Dressrosa, Whole Cake Island, Wano, and the Final Saga/Laugh Tale assuming they go all the way.

I'd assume Brook will probably be changed quite a bit if they get far enough to adapt Thriller Bark since his signature line (besides singing Binks's Sake) is just sexual harassment... which probably won't go over well.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

1 hour ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Assuming they get that far, probably.

If ~100 chapters = 1 season or 1 Saga = 1 season, we're looking at the possibility of Brook in season 5 or thereabouts?

Season one is a cut-down version of the East Blue Saga, so presumably next season will be the Alabasta Saga with Baroque Works as the Big Bad (which they teased in this season), then Sky Island, then Water 7, then Thriller Bark, the Summit War, Fishman Island and the timeskip, Dressrosa, Whole Cake Island, Wano, and the Final Saga/Laugh Tale assuming they go all the way.

I'd assume Brook will probably be changed quite a bit if they get far enough to adapt Thriller Bark since his signature line (besides singing Binks's Sake) is just sexual harassment... which probably won't go over well.

Yeah, I had forgotten about his "signature line". Whoops.

20 hours ago, no3Ljm said:

What's funny is that my son said the FX are better than The Flash movie. :spiteful:

He's not wrong, Flash looked really bad, more-so considering it apparently cost 200 million. I thought Luffy's gum-gum powers looked pretty solid overall, comparable to and on most occasions better then the two live action Fantastic Four movies, we don't talk about that goofy reboot movie with Michael B. Jordan....

• 2 weeks later...

I am somehow not surprised that it was One Piece that ultimately broke the "western anime adaptations suck" curse... or that season two has been approved.

I guess all it took was an author with sufficient clout to veto any of Netflix's attempts to Netflix up the series.

9 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I am somehow not surprised that it was One Piece that ultimately broke the "western anime adaptations suck" curse... or that season two has been approved.

I guess all it took was an author with sufficient clout to veto any of Netflix's attempts to Netflix up the series.

And now Nexflix has proof that if they don't want their adaptions to suck...

Spoiler

Leave the production alone!!!

Edited by pengbuzz

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, Bolt said:

Season One didn't suck! It somehow pulled off a watchable adaptation. Very confused, lol.

We'll see if they can keep it up.

I've seen a bunch of news postings about how the showrunners for this want to get something like eight seasons out of it to cover the entire One Piece manga.

That's going to be an extremely ambitious undertaking.  Not just because of the sheer scale of such an undertaking and the better than even chances of getting flayed alive if they screw it up, but because of the increasing frequency of problematic content going forward.  Even if lovable transvestite shapeshifting goofball Bon Clay somehow gets a pass, I suspect there'll be quite a bit of sociopolitically-loaded grumbling about characters from the Impel Down arc like Emporio Ivankov (imagine Dr. Frank N. Furter from Rocky Horror but with the anatomical proportions of a Funko Pop), multiple characters casual approach to sexual harassment, and what Sanji gets up to during the post-Marineford timeskip.

I imagine there's going to be quite a bit of cutting to sanitize the story for western audiences.

Edited by Seto Kaiba