1/48 scale Yamato Valk: Toy or Display peice.

KingNor

Is it a Toy or a Display peice?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Is it a Toy or a Display peice?

• Its a toy, i could see a 10 year old playing with this.
    • Its more like a pre-assembled model, no playing with this one. 10 year olds should look but not touch.

Now, i know alot of people don't EVER play with their figures, even the ones that are clearly toys.

so i'm not asking how you personally would treat your 1/48, i'm asking basicly if it could withstand normal play from the average 10 year old.

special note:

dropping bricks on valk = not normal.

throwing valk into walls = not normal..

strapping small explosives to valk = not normal.

etc.

holding valk in hand and flying it around room = normal

using valk to kick over 12'' g i joes = normal.

transforming quickly to make fast landing = normal.

etc.

I play with my valks. I don't know if I'd let a ten year old touch them, unless the kid had $130 dollar or so to replace it.. :D

That being said, I AM careful when I transform them, though I will admit to doing it somewhat often.

Well when I first got my 1/48 I use to transform it here and there and maybe fly it around the apartment. Now that I got a display case, it looks really cool just sitting there behind the glass. I really have no desire to play with it anymore, I just like staring at it and how great it looks. devilwink.gif

It's a great looking toy that CAN be played with by kids. But shouldn't because they're designed and geared towards that adult collectors that're eventually gonna pay for this. I don't see a ten year old kid saving up more than one hundred dollars to pick up a Yammie 1/48. :p

The 1/48's might be durable enough for a kid to play with, but I would NEVER give a 10 year old one of my three to find out. Use a Bandai instead. I know those are tough enough to take the pounding a 10 year old could deliver, and replacing them is cheaper too.

The way I handled my toys as a child was very similar to the way I handle models today. One thing my parents never had to worry about was a lack of care in the toys they purchased for me. In fact, I really disliked other kids (even my friends) handling my toys, because no one I knew cared for them as carefully as I did.

Having said as much, I doubt even a titanium 1/55 Bandai would see me throwing it around like a baseball. I'd be too upset if the corners got dinged :)

I have a Bandai 1/55 re-issue tucked away in the event I ever have any kids. They can have it. I might get another for the same reason, so they can have two. May give them my fire valk too. It's good and durable.

The other ones will stay in the display case I will buy when I have the space.

Edited by Anubis

Man! Too many choices!!!

that last poll was at least simple :D

I don't know, it could be for a 10 year old

but not considering it's price

ofcourse there are MW modellers here that were painting and glueing models at age 7,.. a time when most of us could only destroy our dad's HO-scale buildings and trains :rolleyes:

I have my entire valk collection in my 8 year olds room. On a 1x8 foot shelf about 6 feet off the ground with no access to them save for a ladder. That's as close to the toys as they are going to get. I bought some bootlegs a while back, that's as close to playing with a valk as the are going to get.

I do think the 1/48 WOULD hold up to child/toy interactions. Save for the smaller parts getting lost - not broke. I.e., flaps, heat shield, gun pod, hands.

After 6 months of use the valk would be a handless, pilotless, defenseless robot incapable of landing on a carrier at less than 300 knots.

I was suprised at the durablilty of this toy. I got re-introduced to the world of macross toys back in August, and saw all of this cool stuff going on. I had to have a 1/48, and got 2. Before I recieved I started coming here for info, and started hearing all these "broken -Yamato part-" threads and was then concerned. :lol: No worries, though, They both held up better than i had heard.

I would've like to vote that I consider the 1/48's a toy becaues of this, but when you re-posted the poll, it had "10 year old" on it. I had to null vote. I realize all kids are diffrent, but even my two Bandais, rock solid as they are, would be utterly desroyed by my irresponsible 12 year old brother. Letting him at a 1/48? No way.

:blink: I have nightmares of waking up and finding him here, crashing my Valks into each-other..

Edited by Phren

Having finally handled my own, I was suprised at the durability (more than a 1/60 by far). Having said that, I think of it as a display piece (a very posable one!) I do handle it and transform it, but if I were to ever take it to a friends house, it'll be in the box. As for 10 year olds? The first 10 year old that touches it will be shot..... survivors will be shot again ;)

I've got $5 knockoffs and superposables for the younger relatives that have a desire to play with them. In either case, I'm out less than $5 if something on them breaks.

For the first few hours, I was so afraid to put any stress on this thing, I was propping it up on coasters, just so it wouldn't bend the leg fins out of shape. :blink: talk about obsessive compulsive. Personally, I think my 1/48th Fast Pack -1J looks best in aircraft mode, so I don't transform it much. I just play with the weapon options, and fly it around a little. I leave the fast packs off most of the time too, since they put some stress on the backpack. I would be very afraid to leave this in the hands of someone I didn't know, or knew that they aren't very gentle with their toys. My family, mainly my younger brother isn't a problem though, he likes transformers, and mostly knows their limits.. better yet, he respects my stuff pretty well, so he wouldn't start playing around with it without me saying he could.

I probably would have been just fine with one of these at age 10, I've always been hideously careful with toys... building with Legos teaches you that, since they fall apart easily. I play with this just like I'd play with a gundam model, or a model plane, considering I was playing with, and building my own model planes at age 10. There's just a couple things I worry about, and I avoid them... mainly, I don't use the landing gear much, cause I REALLY don't want the rear gear doors to wear down and fall open, and I'm kinda worried about the canopy shield getting scratched up. The backpack is only an issue if I'm using the fast packs. I was actually kinda surprised how sturdy the thing is standing up. I'd never display it that way, for risk of something knocking it over, but I left it standing on it's own in a pretty nice pose for a couple of hours yesterday.