Anime & Japanese Culture in Recent Years

Has Anime and Japanese Culture become too popular?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Has Anime and Japanese Culture become too popular?

• YES - Take us back to obscurity!
    • NO - Legalize anime crack, bring it all over here!

Well, it dawned on me that at 33 years of age, I have now been an Anime fan for 2/3 of my life. It all started back when I used to watch Speed Racer etc in the 70's.

Anime used to be a closet addiction, back when people used to pay outrageous sums for fansubbed anime movies, and they could only be had at Sci Fi conventions etc. These were the days when it was known as Japanimation, before the term Anime really came into vogue, and became the way that long time fans differentiated themselves from the casual viewers. We all have to be elitist about something, so at some point in the early to mid 80's, everyone started watching ANIME, not Japanimation, strange. :ph34r:

I have noticed in recent years, that Anime, has taken off tremendously. It used to be one shelf at my local Suncoast, but now there is nearly a full quarter of their store devoted to Movies, Manga, Toys, DVD's, Tapes, and even Japanese snacks like POCKY etc. Suncoast even hopped in bed with Newtype USA, and pumped everyone who bought anime for subscriptions etc.

Funny thing, about 6 months ago, I asked one of the guys at Suncoast when they got so much into Anime, and the kid answered "Oh, we've always been really into it". BULLSHIT, I was around before this kid had his first beer, and remember when (as I said above), their anime section was miniscule.

The other day, I got a catalogue in my inbox at work from a popular computer parts seller that had an entire section devoted to Japanese snacks, soft drinks, and candy.

Iron Chef has taken off in huge ways, and at one point a couple of years ago, threatened to usurp the Food Network's golden boy Emeril Lagasse with it's cult popularity, and even spawned a US ripoff.

Now, the reason for my question is this, I knew a guy once who said that invariably, once he started to like something, (Ska music was his example) it would become mainstream (Bosstones), and as a result, he had to stop liking it. He was wierd I know, but he was one of those guys that just had to be different than everyone else.

So, I said all of that to say this...

Do you think that Anime and Japanese Culture has become TOO Popular?.

If so,

What do you think will be the long term effects if this boom in popularity?

I say bring it over here, I'd rather grouse through an Anime section in a place like Sam Goody than on some online store, and I don't have to wait to get my stuff if I get it at a Sam Goody.

Nah. You just have to pay through the nose.

As for the original topic, this is the same pointless question every hobbyist asks when his thing catches on. For SF fans it was the late fifties ~ early sixties. For gamers it was the late seventies ~ early eighties. For comic book fans it was the late eighties ~ earlie nineties. Suddenly the fan finds that he isn't part of an "elite" few who are in the know. Now he's simply part of a fad.

My suggestion is to keep doing what you enjoy and don't worry about how popular it is. And if it really bothers you, just remember that this too shall pass.

Oh, and for an interesting link on the subject, go here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2003Dec26.html.

I've never understood why fans of something get upset once more people get into the same thing. All of sudden, it's not cool anymore and "posers" are ruining it, etc..

Silliness. You either like something or you don't. If I happen to enjoy the same movie/book/song/show as someone I hate, then so be it.

And, as with all trends - that which is highly popular now will eventually drift back into a less popular position naturally.

Or, basically the same thing JELEINEN said...

Still it is fun to remember the "Japanimation" section at Blockbuster. They had 3 episodes of Robotech, Clash of the Bionoids, and MD Geist. Ah, those are the good old days?

Edited by Blaine23

I view the recent popularity of anime as a double edged sword. On one respect, I'm happy that I can so easily acquire the series I love. On another, I enjoying see people from all walks of life enjoying our little hobby. However, it seems the studios as a whole are producing more cookie cutter, boring, repetitive series like Yu-Gi-Oh or Pokemon. Hell, even Transformers fell to the "Gotta catch 'em all" mentality. I just hope that we can still count on licensing companies picking up more intellectually stimulating series in the future.

I still remember the BGC article from a TurboGrafx-16 mag that was the match that lit the flame of my interest in Anime and Manga. I STILL remember slipping $20s to pasty faced guys in exchange for a couple of DBZ fansubs in a similar manner that others get their street pharmecuticals. I STILL remember paying $40 for a subbed Devil Hunter Yohko tape from an upstart named AD Vision. That was a good 8-9 years ago, and I STILL go broke buying anime and manga. I still remember gettin half the school hooked into Anime after showing the SFII movie at my Culinary Arts class.

If it was a fad, I woulda dropped it years ago. My love of Anime and Manga ain't gonna be extinguished so easily.

Ditto to Greenguy's comment.

Alot of what we are getting is still american and kiddie friendly (or I say CN) anime. Companies are likely to all focus on what sales instead of what is good.

For new releases...

Check out Last Exile. The animation is absolutely fantastic, and I sense a story worth following. Other than that, I haven't seen much I really enjoyed.

Meh... I don't really care. Provided they (other fans) don't irritate me, I could care less.

One thing that does irritate me, though, is the fans who think they can speak Japanese just because they happen to watch the subs instead of the dubs....

My suggestion is to keep doing what you enjoy and don't worry about how popular it is.  And if it really bothers you, just remember that this too shall pass.

Oh, and for an interesting link on the subject, go here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2003Dec26.html.

That's not what I worry about it. What I worry about is the seemingly endless stream of idiots who watch a few anime titles and immediately think they are an expert on Japanese culture, customs and life style. Both traditonal and nontradictional. In fact there were quite a few idiots here a few months back on the TV series forums who declared themselves experts on how the Japanese think of sex and rape because of the hentai titles the watch. That's the kind of thing that bother me. The ones who really are just part of a fad but think they know and entire nation's culture and history after watching some extremist videos. Now I don't wnat anime to go back into obscurity as that would open the doors for companies like Disney, ADV, and HG to revert to the old days of buthering someone's artwork and selling ti a stheir own. I just wish there was a way to keep the Cartoon Network generation of anime fans "informed" about Japan itself. Not just the animation that comes from there.

Edited by Jemstone

I just wish there was a way to keep the Cartoon Network generation of anime fans "informed" about Japan itself. Not just the animation that comes from there.

There's no need to inform them about Japan, they just need to know that they know nothing about Japan.

What I worry about is the seemingly endless stream of idiots who watch a few anime titles and immediately thinkt hey are an expert on Japanese culture, customs and life style.

I second that. There are the lucky few that take the time to seek it's origins whether it's fanzines, the internet and so fourth no matter. Screw the innocent but in this case ignorant.

~G25

Edited by gerwalk25

I've never understood why fans of something get upset once more people get into the same thing. All of sudden, it's not cool anymore and "posers" are ruining it, etc..

Silliness. You either like something or you don't. If I happen to enjoy the same movie/book/song/show as someone I hate, then so be it.

And, as with all trends - that which is highly popular now will eventually drift back into a less popular position naturally.

Or, basically the same thing JELEINEN said...

Still it is fun to remember the "Japanimation" section at Blockbuster. They had 3 episodes of Robotech, Clash of the Bionoids, and MD Geist. Ah, those are the good old days?

It's not the fact that you don't enjoy your hobby anymore when it goes mainstream, it's dealing with the upstart idiots who think they know everything...

vinnie

I just wish there was a way to keep the Cartoon Network generation of anime fans "informed" about Japan itself.  Not just the animation that comes from there.

There's no need to inform them about Japan, they just need to know that they know nothing about Japan.

Good point.

I just wish there was a way to keep the Cartoon Network generation of anime fans "informed" about Japan itself.  Not just the animation that comes from there.

Good point.

Agreed. Personally, I just ignore it. We all started ignorant. I'll point them in what directions helped me, and offer them a chance to view more titles and/or read some actual historical information on Japan. Otherwise, I don't much care.. lol

Very much like Blaine23, I've yet to understand why growing achievement of a particular art form suddenly turns some fans into raving lunatics who threaten to quit. I've also been a fan of science fiction, fantasy, anime, and many other art forms all my life. The popularity or the obscurity of any of those art forms has never once entered into any equation that gauges my fondness for it.

In fact, while I eagerly welcome popularity of an art form I love (mainly due to cheaper prices, greater availability, ensured survival of the medium, excess and the inevitable reniassance that follows, etc), I find my fore-knowledge nothing but an asset. Particularly, I enjoy the aftermath of an artform's break into the mainstream. There's little more enjoyable than saying "I told you so" to all the narrow-minded skeptics who a decade or two earlier were tossing generalizations and harsh criticism at an artform they could never grasp...and little as fulfilling as introducing friends and family to that beloved art form.

I have to thank popular works like Cowboy Bebop for introducing many of my friends to a fun, entertaining side of anime and Lord of the Rings for finally turning my parents around on fantasy after 28 years.

Bring on the anime!

[sarcasm] Man, remember back when only a few people knew about McDonalds and it was, like, the cool place to go and eat? Now everyone knows about it and it sucks. [/sarcasm]

Maybe the reason I don't really care how popular or unpopular things I like are is because I usually don't pay much attention to what society in general is doing. I like what I like, and if Joe Dipshit likes it too, fine. Elitists are a stain on any genre that they associate themselves with.

I can say for certain that anime fandom is certainly more open now than it was almost 20 yrs ago. Fandom is certainly more inclusive now than it was when I was in high school. My biggest complaint is listening to the boneheads complaining about getting a DVD with 4 eps. for $20. I can still remember my Gunbuster: Aim for the Top tape with 2 eps. I bought in 1992 for about $40. Anime fans have little reason to complain about the cost of anime now. I can understand about the cost of the soundtracks for anime being overly expensive...but so are regular CDs.

Then, of course, there are the new elitist anime fans that look down their nose at you if you dare to mention liking any title that came out before 2000.....God forbid something from the 1980s or 1970s.

I've never really thought about it. Its just funny how CN is a lot of peoples' only source of anime. I remember not too long ago buying GameFan magazine only to peruse the ads they had in the back for anime junk. Its like a question I had about Akira two or three years ago on MW; "Do you think Akira is over-rated?" The reason I was asking this question was because I didn't see Akira in its entirety until it was released on DVD here in the states and I had already seen a relatively large amount of anime. Akira left me kinda disappointed for it had been touted as the second coming... but it was average in my mind(I have a better appreciation for it after reading the manga however). Its just like any other form of entertainment, the only difference is that its told from a different perspective.

I'm glad that anime is more popular today because of the fact that it is easy to get my hands on titles that I like. If others happen to be into anime as well; good. This gives me something more to discuss with others, icebreakers etc... (I'm an RA in my dorm and my valkyries often cause some residents to open up a bit "oh wow! transformers/robotech/macross!). Though I have noticed that I'm having to pay careful attention to the quality of titles I purchase more often now... because the bad is coming with the good as well.

I also kinda get bummed when people look down upon CN shows. I mean, Eva, Robotech, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, and Inuyasha(one of my current faves...) were on that channel... It helps people to get into anime... like Akira did.

Hmm... I had a point in there somewhere... oh well I'm tired.. :ph34r:

I say bring it over here, I'd rather grouse through an Anime section in a place like Sam Goody than on some online store, and I don't have to wait to get my stuff if I get it at a Sam Goody.

Just go to Best Buy instead. They actually have reasonable prices on their DVDs. Usually <$20.

Well my point is I'd rather go out to a store and get an anime DVD right there and then as opposed to having to get it online and have to wait all kinds for it to come in. I just said Sam Goody since it was the first store that came to mind.

I think that the new popularity is a double edged sword.Anime to me is an art form that will not go away because it will always be changing unlike certain styles of music like the grunge thing.However,I think the comercialization is hurting the heart.I've noticed many anime lately most of the character designs look too much the same especially with the computerized stuff.The hand drawn stuff had more individuality.The problem I had with Macross Zero was even though the character designs were done by Mikimoto, done by computer it looked much the same as everything else.Don't get me wrong studios like Gonzo defintely do good stuff at least storywise.As for the cons,I think too many damn teeny boppers that are there because Peter Parker recently became their wet dream and I don't like the elitest trendy people who got into anime last week because it's the in thing.Anime was brought over thanks in part by fat dudes such as myself in the 1980's who couldn't get dates.And a side note I'm not fat anymore and I can get dates now.Wait a minute,I guess anime is really is a double edged sword.

I miss hand drawn mecha. Mac Plus, although a weee bit expensive, was nothing short of triumphant. I LOVE the new CG valks, but nothing comes short of the detail in DYRL, or other series that still fashioned stuff not entriely produced on computer.

Note: I now Mac Plus used some computer elements, which I dont mind. I just don't want to see the WHOLE process lost in digial images.

Edited by GreenGuy42

Am I the only one who finds complaints that anime has become too commercial to be just bizarre? Anime has always been commercial. With maybe only a handful of exception, all those films, TV series and OVAs have all been designed to make money for the people sponsoring and producing them. Personally, I see nothing wrong with this. Being commercial does not invalidate something from being art. Da Vinci was commissioned to paint the Mona Lisa. In other words, he did it for money, but that doesn't lessen the artistic integrity of the painting one bit.

That doesn't exactly worry me, as much as seeing a bunch of idiots who just got into anime, and who bitch and moan about how animes should be targeted towards them and not the average japanese viewer. <_<

Just go to Best Buy instead. They actually have reasonable prices on their DVDs. Usually <$20.

Well my point is I'd rather go out to a store and get an anime DVD right there and then as opposed to having to get it online and have to wait all kinds for it to come in. I just said Sam Goody since it was the first store that came to mind.

I LOVE online Anime Shoppin. I personally shop at amazon since they have the free shippin on orders over $25. I can easily spend over $100 in Anime and manga there. The main stores only stock the series that they know will sell. So you'll see plenty of Excel Saga and Inu-Yasha, but rarely see the minor shows like If I Can See You In My Dreams. Hell, I'm just beginning to see AnimEigo goods at FYE!

And the most I had to wait for an item is seven days. I got an item from them as quickly as three days. Mainly cause I live real close to one of their warehouses :)

And the most I had to wait for an item is seven days. I got an item from them as quickly as three days. Mainly cause I live real close to one of their warehouses :)

Well when it comes to buying stuff I'm a bit impatient, I want my stuff NOW.

That, and something is more likely to catch my attention grosing though a regular store than through an online one for some reason.

Edited by Druna Skass

I think that the new popularity is a double edged sword.Anime to me is an art form that will not go away because it will always be changing unlike certain styles of music like the grunge thing.However,I think the comercialization is hurting the heart.I've noticed many anime lately most of the character designs look too much the same especially with the computerized stuff.The hand drawn stuff had more individuality.The problem I had with Macross Zero was even though the character designs were done by Mikimoto, done by computer it looked much the same as everything else.Don't get me wrong studios like Gonzo defintely do good stuff at least storywise.As for the cons,I think too many damn teeny boppers that are there because Peter Parker recently became their wet dream and I don't like the elitest trendy people who got into anime last week because it's the in thing.Anime was brought over thanks in part by fat dudes such as myself in the 1980's who couldn't get dates.And a side note I'm not fat anymore and I can get dates now.Wait a minute,I guess anime is really is a double edged sword.

I agree with you there. Back in the day anime in general was put back in the back burner. Just in the late 80's, the entire 90's until recently anime got the recognition it deserved, but over-hyping can't be good. People start loosing interest and the genre slowly disappears into oblivion.

"I miss hand drawn mecha. Mac Plus, although a weee bit expensive, was nothing short of triumphant. I LOVE the new CG valks, but nothing comes short of the detail in DYRL, or other series that still fashioned stuff not entriely produced on computer.

Note: I now Mac Plus used some computer elements, which I dont mind. I just don't want to see the WHOLE process lost in digial images. "

Sadly GreenGuy42, hand drawn mecha or (cartoons?) are slowly phasing out.

Edited by Angel's Fury

the question is, with the influx is there an equal amount of quality anime coming out. I don't belive so. There's a glutton of mediocre anime and the percentage of great anime doesn't really add up the golden age, IMO.

I also wish that Japan, would have stepped up their live action/CG production. No I don't want live action versions of any anime that was already produced, but would love to see some new and origianl live action mech battles, maybe with Final Fantasy:Movie type characters, and not real life actors. But it looks like we're still maybe a decade away from such things. Especially after the FF movie bust. I guess we'll find out after the EVA movie.

the question is, with the influx is there an equal amount of quality anime coming out. I don't belive so. There's a glutton of mediocre anime and the percentage of great anime doesn't really add up the golden age, IMO.

I also wish that Japan, would have stepped up their live action/CG production. No I don't want live action versions of any anime that was already produced, but would love to see some new and origianl live action mech battles, maybe with Final Fantasy:Movie type characters, and not real life actors. But it looks like we're still maybe a decade away from such things. Especially after the FF movie bust. I guess we'll find out after the EVA movie.

By the way, congrats with the VEX contest. My thoughts exactly on your first opinion.

On your second opinion, are some directors just doing that to be in the the craze?