Robotech Bookends

Myersjessee

Well...Ive been looking at the pictures of the Toynami Bookends....and I am torn. I think they look great, and have the perfect spot to use them....but I was burned by Toynami (thinking something looked better then it did) before. Anyone seen these, or have feedback? $149 is a lot of potential disapointment...but it is Christmas...and I deserve a present!

Thanks in advance...sorry if these have been discussed...I did a search and did not find anything...

mpc_bookend_proto.jpg

It does look pretty nifty. But $150 for something that'll end up catching dust? I could just as well drive over to IKEA and pick up nicer bookends for a fraction of the price. Sorry. But I'd rather use that money for much needed Christmas gifts (like a Dancougar, Masterpiece Convoy, or 1/48's. :ph34r:

I wont buy em. No way. After seeing the Yamato's 1/48 vs the MPC, I am staying away from HG and Toynami.

To be fair, the MPCs were designed to compete with the 1/60 Yamato, not the 1/48.

Which isn't saying there aren't some problems with the MPCs, but it's not really fair to compare them to a toy that came out that much later.

my problem has less to do with comparing the 1/60 or 1/48 with the MPC and more to do with advertising. Frankly, I don't think the MPC comes close to comparing with the Yammies....and thats okay....but the toy they showed in early pictures versus the toy that came out...well...it didnt look like the same thing at all...the early photos seemed like they purposely hid the "plasticy" nature of it, as well as not disclosing the diecast content. When I got my MPC I was stunned. I have not bought a Toynami product since. (I did get MPC 2, but I had purchased them both before I saw #1...and I sold them both)

I guess I am wondering:

Has Toynami gotten better?

Should I expect the final product to look like the picture?

Will it feel and look like a $150 piece of art, or will I feel like I have taken it in the #&%^ and know I will not be respected in the morning?

Someone should buy a set and then recast them!  But not me :blink:

Rob MN

I was about to say this but Rob beat me to it!

I have to admit, they do look nice. Specially with your model kit boxes, special issues of hobby mags and reference materials jammed in there or your whole Macross DVD collection.

But as someone else said, you got models and toys. Build your own. Buy a full set of bootlegs, re-paint them or build up those old Bandai / Imai / Arii kits, pickup some slabs of rock, pose and glue = custom bookends that look better than anything on the market.

Hmm.. thats a great idea actually... I think I need to revisit that 1/144 Arii collection I saw at the shop. Diorama bookends... :D

Edited by Neova

I wouldn't buy them for several reasons. One, the cost is high and I think it is going to be hard to be satisfied after spending that much. Two, this is Toynami we are talking about. I am not sure if they have impressed anyone with actual products to date. I would think that the actual bookends will not have that hand painted look in this pics. Third, those bookends look a little fragile to me.

If you still want to get them, I would just wait until they show up on ebay. By then you will know what the actual product looks like and might be able to get one cheaper. What Toynami product has ever gone up in value?

They look nice but there is now way in hell that I would spend $150 for a pair of bookends. That's just to much money for something that will just sit there and collect dust. Like said you would be better off making your own, buying model kits and doing them and placing them on a stand would be far better plus you would end up with something of more detail and would have spent your time enjoying yourself.