You MUST see this vid. Sony's latest ROBOT.

UN Spacy

Thats SO cool!! I dig it!

-BEN-MAN-

..... FUNKY!! If they work at a great pace and keep producing new models, we might be able to see something from our imaginative worlds just within the next decade if we're lucky, and heck, maybe even shorter. Is it a curse or a blessing to be living in this time of the century? XD

holy crap that thing is cool and freaky at the same time. I keep thinking of a Wolverine Lazaraus comic Where they took kids and chopped up their brians to power a robot. I guess liek Robocop but woth out free will. Kinda like the Starwars Shadow Fighters. Brains of deceased Ace Tie Fighter pilots given the edge of the dark side and then implanted into small tactical robot planes. Freaky!!!!!

Hmmm... I guess I'm just not big on dancing robots. Its pretty cool that they are so articulated, but they should start making dancing valkyries or gundams. :)

Plus, I'd like to know where Sony is headed with these... I mean they seem like super-duper expensive action figures for people with entirely too much money.

You will find more movies in this site, if you can find them in this Japanese Website, http://pc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/2003/1218/sony.htm , it shows them running and jumping, a first in bipedal autonomous robots, it's a excellent tech demonstrator, watch out folks, Gundams may be closer than we think :ph34r::lol:

Where are they going with these, you ask?

Toys for the capt. of industry to showcase or rich & indulgently mindless or eccentric: yes for the time being.

Goose-stepping drones from the Ist Renaissance of AniMatrix, to take over dull & dirty work from us in ~10 yrs, when the tech is in its umpteenth developement iteration.

You KNOW by that point, DARPA & other cabal members of the Neo-Co-Prosperity Sphere will be generating "defense" labors & boomers, while hackers will find ways to extrapolate these potentials for private use. In general, dirty deeds(literally & figuratively), done dirt cheap.

All SF writing is an unconscious exercise of modern day 'prophecy', whereas we conceptualize & reinforce the thought-form of our future(& past) behavior until we can readily slide into it as an actualized identity.

Virtually all of our classic SF has come true in some sense in modern society. Why not wake up & smell the coffee that the last 20 yrs of Hollywood will follow suit?

I'm not saying its going to be apocalyptic, but it'll prolly be dirty.

Just an 'ol man's cyniscism. When I'm phart'in more dust than I am now, Zone-E's(play on Sony, ala Zero-One/Zion <_< ) model THX1138 will be wiping my backside in the 'ol VA hospital.

Vesp :rolleyes:

Tis awesome and yet freaky at the same time. I seriously doubt the public will be seeing QRIO anytime soon. I'm sure those things cost a crap load...and I don't think Sony wants their technology stolen...so they'll probably wait who knows how long till they release it to the public. And I'm definitely seeing Patlabor here sometime in the not so distant future. Anyway....

Plus, I'd like to know where Sony is headed with these... I mean they seem like super-duper expensive action figures for people with entirely too much money.

Look at the link Otaru Ikari provided...then click on "QRIO the future".

haha

That is the company line and nothing more. QRIO is supposed to make you happy! Woo! And we're going to use him to make more of his ilk.

Perhaps one day when I am still alive we will have R2 units replacing PDAs. Protocol Droids for business meetings... and Terminators/HKs for the military. All the while, our general population will be plugged into Microsoft MatrixNet.

I heard somewhere long time ago, a car company was building a few of their own robots which would great a customer by that persons name if they are a repeating customer, have conversations on current events and other topics...I can't remember which it was...I keep wanting to say Mitsubishi but I don't think that was it...but still none the less that was really cool, I REALLY liked when it threw the ball.

^^ my mom just said "It's nothing but lil midgets in suits." "But mom I can see the ball joints and servo's..." "So? Look at the Terminator and tell me that machine is real!" "....you just ruined my life..."

I heard somewhere long time ago, a car company was building a few of their own robots which would great a customer by that persons name if they are a repeating customer, have conversations on current events and other topics...I can't remember which it was...I keep wanting to say Mitsubishi but I don't think that was it...but still none the less that was really cool, I REALLY liked when it threw the ball.

^^ my mom just said "It's nothing but lil midgets in suits." "But mom I can see the ball joints and servo's..." "So? Look at the Terminator and tell me that machine is real!" "....you just ruined my life..."

It was Honda, who built Asimo

Whoever said it'll take a while or these to get on the market is right. I remember reading somewhere that each Qrio costs about 20,000$