Custom 1/48 CF

Jung

Perfect job, Jung. Can't wait for Yamato to make one, though I highly doubt it will look anywhere near what you did with it.

Wow.... that's all I can say... simply... wow. :blink:

Question: how did you add the ball joint to the thumb?

-popped off the back of the hand

-removed the thumb, and chopped off the tab

-drilled a hole at the base of the thumb

-inserted a steal rod

-attached a small bead at the end of the rod (from my little niece's necklace building set.. :p, luckily the hole was the perfect size for the steal rod), your ball joint

-added a small amout of putty on the inside of the back hand plate

-wet the ball, and make a depression on the putty, this is the socket.

-let the putty cure, than trim off excess. I than applied a small amount of super glue to the putty socket, I think this seals it and gives it a smoother surface.

-put the hand back together :)

Holy geeze, miss a few days, and this wondrous work appears!!

Welcome back Jung! :D great to see and hear from you again - and back in full form - what can I say that hasn't been said before. Excellent custom, it really looks fantastic, top notch.

Two questions, how is the paint holding up to the transformations? Especially around the moving parts - what did you seal them in with? and how many coats to protect them? Second, did you use waterslide decals or the stickers?

You've made a CF lover out of me :p Fantastic work on the pilot, when you reshaped its arms, did you use epoxy to re-attach them back?

Thanks for putting Toronto on the MW map! We should all meet at Animextreme or somewhere like that some day - maybe a T.O. MWCon.

Woohoo! Dang good job on that one!

I wish I had the skills to do that. :( Any chance you will be doing this for money? :p

-- Pointer

Holy geeze, miss a few days, and this wondrous work appears!!

Welcome back Jung! :D great to see and hear from you again - and back in full form - what can I say that hasn't been said before. Excellent custom, it really looks fantastic, top notch.

Two questions, how is the paint holding up to the transformations? Especially around the moving parts - what did you seal them in with? and how many coats to protect them? Second, did you use waterslide decals or the stickers?

You've made a CF lover out of me :p Fantastic work on the pilot, when you reshaped its arms, did you use epoxy to re-attach them back?

Thanks for putting Toronto on the MW map! We should all meet at Animextreme or somewhere like that some day - maybe a T.O. MWCon.

wow thanks william, I'm a huge fan of your work :D

the paint is holding up great, the enamels are pretty tough themselves, so it doesn't scratch easily. You'll really have to dig your nails into the paint ot scratch it. However of course, the areas where pieces rub against each other the paint will chip off.

Before my first rebuild, I primed the entire piece, after I rebuilt it, I was really rough in transforming the thing. This showed where the major problem areas are. The knee cap like I mentioned before was the biggest area, had to sad that down significantly, also a bit from the tip of the lower/big leg piece that the knee cap rubs against. Important, don't sand the ring area of the knee cap piece, this keeps the knee caps stiff. When bending the knees, always lead with the knee caps, ie if you want to bend the knees forward for gerwalk, position the knee cap first than bend the knees.

The other areas were minor, the back piece that houses the wings, just sand down a bit the areas that the wings slide along. The wing's are a tab and hole joint, so they will maintain their stiff rotation without worries.

All the locking areas (ex. the leg locking the back pack/tail fins), you will experience minor specks of paint chipping off on the tabs.

Protective coat I used future and model master semi gloss laquer. For the decals I just used the stickers provided. I did trim them very close however so they aren't that noticeable. The CF isn't very heavy on decals so I didn't bother with waterslides this time.

Yeah chopped off the arms glued them back and than puttied the gaps. For the right arm (flight stick) I actually chopped off the elbow aswell. I wanted a more forward leaning position, rather than the 90degree bend originally. Notice the shoulder "pads", that's a plastic decals from an older takatoys decal set (originally for his custom 1/55 nose cone). It fit perfectly, just a bit longer, so I had to trim it off a bit. I used superglue for adhesive though, had to get a stronger more permanent seal due to the curviture of the shoulder pads. I think the decals makes it look like how it's susposed to look, as opposed to if I had painted it.

Awesome work, Jung! B)) Your work proves that Yamato's 1/48th scale Valk is basically a preassembled Perfect Grade model... put some time into it and you will have a true masterpiece. :)

Hope that this gives Yamato a hint to do a CF VF-1A. :)

Even if Yamato makes a CF VF I dont think it will come close to the beauty and elegance of Jung's

Hot damn is that one nice custom job.

;)

That is great.  I am curious how you managed to do the missiles?

same method, sprayed the entire missile flat black, paint it white, solid white at the center of the pieces, than work outwards, fading as you work towards the egdes/panels, in this case the groves of the missiles. Than sprayed Future clear acrylic coat, than a black enamel wash, than a semi gloss laquer finish to seal everything.

Edited by Jung

• 1 month later...