What's a good MF toy to start with?

Agent-GHQ

I'm not familiar with the MF anime, let alone the toys. The last Macross line I watched is of Mac Zero. So, I've seen pictures in the threads of a few MF toys that I totally dig but unsure of what character to start with. I've seen that green MF toy, again I don't watch MF cartoon, and I like that color scheme. The overall batroid I'm not too crazy for but a good fighter mode. I also see pics of what seems to be a hard one to preorder of that 171 blue one. I noticed the fighter mode is different??? Are they the same mold or something completely different according to the anime? The 171 looks like that Diamon Force jet.

Anyhoo.... any suggestion as to what MF toy I should start with? Do they come in a bundle as in one box with their super armor pack or ordinance pack? How are they in the hands as its being transformed? Any significant different than the Macross Yamato 1/60 ver 2?

"The green one"----pale minty-green with a radome on top, or deep teal-green? The deep teal green one is the same as "the blue Diamond-force-looking one"---the VF-171 CF. But the pale minty green one is the RVF-25, in Luca's color scheme.

To answer another question----while the VF-171 does look like a Diamond Force VF-17, it is a completely different mold toy-wise, and they are not the same jet in "real life"---just very similar, as the VF-171 is the direct descendant/successor to the VF-17. Almost more of a "heavy update/modification" than being an all-new valk----it was designed to be a cheaper modernization program, rather than having to re-equip entire fleets with pricey VF-22/25's etc. Most fleets would have had VF-11's, with a few -17/19's around. The -171 offered a good improvement, without sucking up massive amounts of resources needed to build top-of-the-line stuff.

For any MF toy worth considering, boosters/armor are sold separately. Any bundle you find--run away, those are the vastly inferior old molds.

Most every version of the -25 and -27 was released in both model kit and toy form. The -25 toy got two very different molds---the old sucky one, and the newer awesome one---the newer -25 is the "renewal" version. And most references to a "reissue" -25, means a reissue of the renewal.

The "olive" green one in the vid you posted is the "normal" version of the -27, the VF-27β, though the VF-27β has two variations itself, though both are the same color. Most famously flown by Grace, my avatar. :) The model kit could build both versions of the -27β, the toy was specifically/only her version.

PS---if you want the pale green radomed -25, you've got to start trying to get one *now*. If you haven't secured a pre-order by the day it comes out, you will not get one for less than 2x MSRP. Bandai has cut production of valks to INSANELY low levels, to the point that they sell out almost instantly.

Some times, when I see that NY has dropped their initial YF-29 30th Anniversary ver. pricing down to 2000yen above SRP, I feel tempted to pick up a 2nd one just for keeps (also in case my first one breaks.. it does feel floppy afterall).

How is it that the NY still has preorders available for the VF-25F and RVF-25? $200 is still a great price compared to $300+ on ebay. Looks like demand has waned a bit. Everyone must have theirs by now.

Edited by grymg

Hmm skullmilitia has given a nice breakdown on whats available so i wouldn't touch on that. However i would brief you a bit on MF backstory and sets released/ to be released for your easy reference :)

Basically you came in just bout the beginning of a 2nd release save a few so just hit on those which already had a 2nd release and for the rest, just wait for the 2nd release ;)

As for the add-on parts, at the moment there's only 1 release so time shall tell if there is a 2nd release!

1. Alto (Main Dude) - VF-25F Renewal (1st Release Oct 11', 2nd Release Aug 13') (Super Parts May 12') (Armor Parts Aug 12')

- VF 171EX (1st Release July 12') (Super Parts Jan 13')

- YF29 (1st Release July 11', 2nd Release June 12') (Super Parts Dec 11')

2. Ozma (Main Dude's Mentor/Superior) - VF-25S Renewal (1st Release Jan 12') (Super Parts May 12') (Armor Parts Aug 12')

3. Micheal (Main Dude's Good Friend) - VF-25G Renewal (1st Release Oct 12')

4. Luca (Main Dude's Other Friend) - RVF-25 Renewal (1st Release July 13')

Other Valks -

5. Breira Sterne (Main Dude's "Girlfriend"'s Bro) - VF-27 (1st Release Mar 10')

6. Grace O'Connor (Main Dude's 2nd "Girlfriend"'s Manager) - VF-27 (1st Release July 10')

7. Roy Focker (Nothing to do with the story, just valk affiliation for 30th Anniversary) - YF-29 (1st Release Nov 12', 2nd Release Apr 13') (Super Parts June 13')

8. Canaria (Mechanic?) - Koenig Monster/ Sheryl Ver (1st Release Oct 10')

9. Macross Ship - Macross Quarter (1st Release Jan 10')

10. Mass Production Valk - VF-171 CF (1st Release May 13') (Super Parts Oct 13')

On side note, the model number basically denotes the valk type and mould, meaning:

VF-25F, VF-25S, VF-25G, RVF-25 has the same base mould

VF-171EX, VF-171CF has the same mould

That's basically it. Unless i missed anything! :D

Edited by shawnlee1981

I'm not familiar with the MF anime, let alone the toys. The last Macross line I watched is of Mac Zero. So, I've seen pictures in the threads of a few MF toys that I totally dig but unsure of what character to start with.

I'd really recommend you watch Macross Frontier, it's a great anime. Start with the series then watch the 2 movies. After watching the anime, you may have a better idea of which Frontier mecha you like more and what to buy.

Graham

I'm a big fan of the YF-29. It's fun to transform. Lots of armament to pose. It does not need the FP to look cool, but I do not have any in house

I did order the FP for the 30th Roy scheme.

Mine are not floppy at all, once everything is in place.

The closest comparison is the VF-27

I'd really recommend you watch Macross Frontier, it's a great anime. Start with the series then watch the 2 movies. After watching the anime, you may have a better idea of which Frontier mecha you like more and what to buy.

Graham

Why would watching the anime give him a better idea? I haven't been able to finish an episode of Mac7 or Frontier and I know which I want to own based purely on how the toys look.

Why would watching the anime give him a better idea? I haven't been able to finish an episode of Mac7 or Frontier and I know which I want to own based purely on how the toys look.

Sometimes the character will add up to how you like a mecha.

For instance, I don't like VF-19S/F enough because their pilots are forgettable.

On the contrary, while many valks are blue, I cannot help myself if Max flied in it.

For instance, I don't like VF-19S/F enough because their pilots are forgettable.

On the contrary, while many valks are blue, I cannot help myself if Max flied in it.

I understand, but he already thinks the RVF-25 looks cool. Why should he care what the character was in the show if he already likes the design? He's not going to be hanging out with Luca ever but that cool looking Green Plane with the Radar dish can sit on his shelf for years.

Graham

Man... I can't even hang in there for the first 10-15 mins. To me, it looks horrid and I don't like the overall style and aesthetics of MF style. I just don't feel it. I guess, I'm just an old school cats that grew up with the original Macross SDF-1. Cartoon wise, I'm traumatized..... YUCK never going to watch it again nor will I take it for FREE, even if its in Blu-Ray!

The last Macross line I completely saw and liked was Mac Zero. To my eyes and taste, anything after Mac Zero is absolute garbage!

one word "ozma"

That color scheme makes it looks horrid! YUCK!! The plastic looks cheap too?!

Like you, I find certain colors appealing like that pale green and the upcoming 171 blue

I understand, but he already thinks the RVF-25 looks cool. Why should he care what the character was in the show if he already likes the design? He's not going to be hanging out with Luca ever but that cool looking Green Plane with the Radar dish can sit on his shelf for years.

I'm definitely not into MF anime. Just the mech is good enough for me to cave in. I especially, dig that pale green and the new 171 color

It'd be better if he didn't know who Luca is! :D

Care to elaborate?

In short, the pale green -25's pilot is almost universally the least-liked pilot of the series, and probably epitomizes much of what you don't like in recent anime/Frontier. He's got a unique valk, but you'd actually probably like/want it less if you knew the pilot.