IXTL

Other than the canopy and the head only having one visor, I don't think there are any physical differences between the 171ex and 171 CF.

Ok..well.. the CF's have really kick-ass pilot figures which I prefer to the SMS pilots :p

The SMS pilots would look awesome too if they weren't painted by blind monkeys. Bandai has a long way to go to catch up to Yamato's standard pilots.

Gah, I accidently preordered in USD at N-Y and the yen keeps dropping....

Are their prices udated to the current exchange rate at the time the invoices are sent out, or are they locked-in to the quoted amount at the time the preorder was placed? I'm curious to know because I preordered in US Dollars as well.

Ordering in USD has it's advantages too as you get to avoid Paypal's exchange fees, but if the discrepancy in the exchange rate between when the order was placed and when payment is due is large enough, then that bonus evaporates fast.

Edited by mechaninac

IIRC, with their latest rules:

Pre-orders can be done in any currency. You will be charged that amount in that currency when you pay. You are "locked in" to whatever it was quoted at.

Orders for in-stock items must be done in yen.

Rough example: Pre-order something for 10,000 yen, in USD. That'd be $110 at the current rates. Now, say 6 months from now it actually arrives. You will have to pay $110, in USD. That may be very good, or very bad for you, depending on how the exchange rate changed. If that 10,000 yen item had been ordered in yen, and it's now 50 yen per dollar or 150 yen per dollar...

At the moment, and with the likely continuing trend, I could have saved 5/10/20 bucks if I'd ordered in yen, and pay in yen when it comes out. (I wanted yen to start with, but in the rush to secure a pre-order, I missed that option)

I have the same dilemma I messed up when I placed my pre-order. In a rushed panic I ordered 1x VF-171 CF in USD, after I placed the order I decided I wanted 3x total. The problem was that they closed the pre-order but then re opened it. I pre-ordered another 2x but the price was a bit higher but again forgot to change it to yen. I e-mailed them and asked If I could get the same unit price from my first order and combine both orders also. Here is the reply:

Hello and thank you for your email!

Sorry but as the price is different for these orders, we can't combine it.

If you want combine it, we will have to change for Yen currency.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask us!

So now I am confused... If I change it to the yen price and combine it, does that mean I would have the current higher unit price on all 3 units? It's like they said "no-yeah".

Edited by Loop

It's a gamble. The J-govt is trying really, really damn hard to make the Yen cheaper because a strong yen is killing foreign profits, which some 70% of the J-economy relies on.

If the J-Govt's plans work out, the yen price could yield a cheaper price in USD after conversion in April. However, that's assuming the US dollar remains at the current value, something I highly doubt considering QE3 (more like QE infinity) and other inflationary practices that the US govt makes use of.

Honestly, I'd stick with the USD value that I have on my orders. Reason being it's 100% guaranteed price in USD and I don't have to worry about budgetory drama should the USD take a nose-dive in the next few months.

It's a gamble. The J-govt is trying really, really damn hard to make the Yen cheaper because a strong yen is killing foreign profits, which some 70% of the J-economy relies on.

If the J-Govt's plans work out, the yen price could yield a cheaper price in USD after conversion in April. However, that's assuming the US dollar remains at the current value, something I highly doubt considering QE3 (more like QE infinity) and other inflationary practices that the US govt makes use of.

Honestly, I'd stick with the USD value that I have on my orders. Reason being it's 100% guaranteed price in USD and I don't have to worry about budgetory drama should the USD take a nose-dive in the next few months.

Yeah, I have the same reasoning. I mean I have a budget for my toys and if the price is right I rather secure it for the price I find reasonable. If its cheaper afterward to bad but I got the toy for what it's worth to me and if it's more expensive I actual saved some money.

These are luxury articles so if their is no major shift in the currencies I can deal with the fluctuations. But as Duymon said you might watch out for the plans of the Japanese and your local government if you plan ahead for more then a few month.

hmm... this may be of interest to those who are worried about falling yen prices and ordering in US currency. I just payed for my Robot damashii space leo. my original invoice at time of pre-order was this:

Gundam Wing - Robot Damashii (side MS) Leo Option Set 2 - Limited Edition 1 $34.58

Gundam Wing - Robot Damashii (side MS) Leo Space Type - Limited Edition 1 $46.52

Total products (tax incl.): $81.10

Total shipping (tax incl.): $19.99

Total: $101.09

but when I went to pay through paypal, I was charged as fallowed:

Gundam Wing - Robot Damashii (side MS) Leo Option Set 2 - Limited Edition 1 $31.07

Gundam Wing - Robot Damashii (side MS) Leo Space Type - Limited Edition 1 $41.81

Total products (tax incl.): $72.88

Total shipping (tax incl.): $17.97

Total: $90.85

So $10.24 USD less. ^_^

Edited by anime52k8

How can this be more limited than the limited edition Yamato VF-4G??? Come on Bandai, throw me a bone here.

I hope there will be more available for order at HLJ near it's April release date.

How can this be more limited than the limited edition Yamato VF-4G??? Come on Bandai, throw me a bone here.

Because the VF-4G was made to order (Yamato Online Shop exclusive), so all you had to do was get your order in before the pre-order deadline.

The usual online retailers should have these 171CF in stock (very small window, if you're able to catch it) when they receive shipment on release date. At least, that's been the trend with the VF-25 renewals and 171EX releases previously.

Edited by Phalanix

• 4 weeks later...

Only partially new; the head sculpt and all parts related to the forward fuselage/cockpit area, excluding landing gear components, to be precise. Other than that, which is plenty as Bandai could've just given us a re-pop with different colored plastic and just the new head, it's the same as the EX model.

Existing one from the EX.

thanks for that. however i thought the armor pack for the vf171 comes with the extra set of wings. I was going thru the picture and maybe the extra wings is just for the missiles i guess. i'm considering whether or not to buy another set of armor pack for the VF171 CF version :)

In my opinion the EX Super Parts don't look good on the CF version so I don't mind to buy CF specific packs because the off-white color looks really good on the dark teal of the plane. Plus we might get the Vajra control missiles with the new Super Parts.

I think that the hard point wings were included to justify the price for the Super Parts. Although Yamato proofed that you just have to sell them in a large box. ;)

There was absolutely no reason they had to "justify" the price of the super parts. Look at the speaker pack that came out for the old VF-25G, and it had even less in the box than the VF-171EX packs if you didn't include the wings (note: I'm under the impression that it only had the fold booster and speakers. If that's wrong, then please correct me there. ^_^) Bandai just doesn't like including more than one option for anything in the same box. :p

It came with a small Ranka figure!

Also the Galia 4 packaging looks smaller then the VF-25 V1 boxes where the VF-171 Super Parts Box had the same size as the Valkyries iirc. So it would be easy to bundle the two in a gift set.

So if the wings were not included they would have either a huge box with lots of free space in the inlay or a small box that they cannot bundle with the main toy.

Of course that bundle will never happen. :p

• 3 weeks later...