Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Finished the comic, thoroughly enjoyed it, especially the end. With as bleak as everything was up until that point, I was expecting the worst, but I was pleasantly surprised.

When I first saw Miller's design for Batman years ago, I hated it so so much. Now it's one of my favorites. I use that design when I play Arkham city. I just really wish this animated movie had kept the..."fat bat" emblem on his chest. Bruce was friggin monstrous and I liked that the bat logo followed the same idea.

• 1 month later...

The first time I watched it I was having a hard time with it. I mean I have read that story about 100 times easy. I know each panel and the dialogue. So I was a bit too close to the source upon first viewing.

I did like the music and animation though.

I watched it again last night. Now that I have seen it and understand that the slight changes make sense. They are to make it animated and not a radio play with pictures it really works.

Can't wait for part 2!

• 2 months later...

Be warned, The Blu-ray set doesn't include an I tunes file and Ultra-violet doesn't work with I tunes.

They included a DVD. That's all I need to make my own digital copy with Handbrake for my iDevices and Androids (streaming is for the birds).

• 1 month later...

Not yet. Just part 1.Fixed.

Agreed.

Just watched part 1 & 2 loved it! Also really loved that mud pit scene and the operating table comment and the music was outstanding. Can't wait for the soundtrack release.

Chris

I think I liked part 1 better than part 2, but that's more about the structure of Miller's story. Altogether a really good adaptation. I thought the choice of Joker voice actor could have been better, but wasn't bad, and the whole Cold War themed background bits feel a little dated. Still, didn't detract from the whole.

I just recently part 2 DVD/BluRay combo (I already bought part 1). The best $21.00 I ever invested in a DCU animated movie. A supurb translation. Now if DC would just make that Teen Titans: Judas Contract movie..

That was on their schedule but now I am not sure if we will get it. :(

They won't because some head at Warner's felt that the Teen Titans would be unrecognizable to their video buying market (eventhough there was a Teen Titans cartoon that ran for four years including a movie that aired on Cartoon Network). But I remain hopeful partially due to the popularity of Young Justice that WB will revisit the Wolfman/Perez version of the Titans..

I agree the Cold War subplot was a little dated but a Superman/Batman grudge match in the same alley where Batman's parents died is tough to beat. Though I wonder why they didn't play that part up is a little confusing to me. If I'm not mistaken Batman told Supes that if he died it was going to be in the place that he lost his parents. It was weird having Reagan, Soviet Union, & nuclear warheads back in popular culture but if you treat it as an alternate history or Earth it wasn't so bad..

• 3 months later...

I just got done watching both parts and really I enjoyed it. It was funny seeing a bald eagle landing on Clark's arm while talking with Bruce. It was one of those "really??" moments and I lol'd. Also it was interesting to see how a getting hit by a nuke would affect Superman. Seeing him all zombie like was kind of freaky actually. I loved seeing Batman beating the crap out of Superman but I didn't like how he became a puppet for the President. Also why were those people all grey looking?? lol