DBB89A37-1E13-43FB-A20D-98274E4EA9C8.jpeg.113faa6e53ceb46795f8425548c37fcc.jpeg

F23F6EBE-5EE0-4775-9F04-236DD2DCEDBE.jpeg.3194963cc93398007a69007181cc4aaf.jpeg

EA78DC8A-59EC-4CD2-A0CD-4171CB9D4956.jpeg.d8548047578948720f52de3f99a78b16.jpeg

2F5F7EB2-7D86-47F6-9072-F5D5350863F8.jpeg.00ad231eb466980ac6cf0c453bb4d06d.jpeg

8824CB5A-47FE-4981-BC22-2C41DBD0FA5D.jpeg.d7cad3f9cabd6abb66c95206c2e304f1.jpeg

5AB7C2C5-9D50-4FC8-9D92-7DE0C25B82EA.jpeg.2b955973a773ca95db4913fdc50ecb54.jpeg

4AE822CF-5578-4E8C-83F9-5B77DFFE441A.jpeg.3475091121583444f2c937e933b46598.jpeg

Missing Link Bumblebee and Cliffjumper.

The additional articulation would have made me very happy back in the 80s, but I've been spoiled by any number of modern takes on these characters. The old G1 toys just don't look that great to me, even with the added articulation. If they get around to doing Megatron, I might bite, as I never owned G1 Megs. Too, the G1 cassettes if they were to trick them out with better articulation. For the most part, though, I'm happy to leave the G1 toys in the past and embrace modern figs with what I feel are better aesthetics and engineering. However, nostalgia is a powerful draw; I get that. I'm far more drawn to vintage LEGO sets than vintage Transformers, but that passion is the same. There's definitely an audience for these and I hope they're fun and fulfilling as they fill a certain niche in the collection.

3 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

...If they get around to doing Megatron, I might bite, as I never owned G1 Megs.

Them doing a Walther alt mode would be amazing if they are permitted to.

1 minute ago, Radioguy said:

Them doing a Walther alt mode would be amazing if they are permitted to.

Well, I believe Takara are taking lead on these so they're not under the same restrictions as we and other countries so far as toy gun restrictions go. We would simply have to buy it from Takara directly or another overseas store. I imagine Takara will get around to updating his old G1 self eventually.

10 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

GNFdMWVX0AAA2k4.jpg.56435c8c57b055b874a35705d70e814f.jpg

Armada Galvatron and the next wave of Studio Series, likely.

Thanks for posting these, Mike, as otherwise I'd have no idea. That said, more and more, less and less is appealing to me as they move further into Armada and Bayverse. Little sad on the collecting front, but good for my wallet. It's a really good LEGO year, so my funds won't be as stretched. Speaking of which, there's a rumored LEGO Bumblebee coming which I imagine, like Prime, will be based on his G1 toy. No pics yet, unfortunately.

19 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Thanks for posting these, Mike, as otherwise I'd have no idea. That said, more and more, less and less is appealing to me as they move further into Armada and Bayverse. Little sad on the collecting front, but good for my wallet. It's a really good LEGO year, so my funds won't be as stretched. Speaking of which, there's a rumored LEGO Bumblebee coming which I imagine, like Prime, will be based on his G1 toy. No pics yet, unfortunately.

I dunno, this one could be pretty good. I'm hearing Leader-class '86 Springer, core-class '86 Steeljaw, and some kind of Deluxe-class G1 Bumblebee. And if you're into the old Marvel G1 comics, Straxus.

2 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I dunno, this one could be pretty good. I'm hearing Leader-class '86 Springer, core-class '86 Steeljaw, and some kind of Deluxe-class G1 Bumblebee. And if you're into the old Marvel G1 comics, Straxus.

Oh, well, in that case, interest piqued. Thanks. I'll definitely try to tune in.

Hm I'd maybe buy the missing link bb and cliffy. I still got a pretenders bee and goldbug that've served me faithfully for so many decades. I think I had a G2 Cliffjumper but god he was lost to time....probably by late 90's he and so many figures were gone. 

A bit surprised no one has reported on this yet, but Takara is introducing a new label called "T-Spark" which will be focusing on high-end toys and model kits (think Bandai's Tamashii).

https://hjweb.jp/article/1505782/

For Transformers there is the new line named "Adamas Machina" which seems to be a collaborative line with other creators to bring their designs into physical form. These are going to be fully transformable and also have Chogokin in them.

First entry is AMT-01 Hot Rod, which is based on the Flame Toys K3/IDW look, but perhaps more interestingly is that AMT-02 is going to be Predaking, a combiner that seems to be following the appearance from season three "Call to Primitives" episode (Studio OX).

All of this might also explain why Takara decided to consolidate the MP line into MGP after MP-60.

DSC08426.webp.e1bc89647053dabfb759f03b1449eed9.webp

DSC08424.webp.b2430dbd79e9034449bb52d85f4b98d1.webp

DSC08423.webp.79d7e550a46501d57959af69401a1193.webp

DSC08421.webp.9d419d71427a3dc5e98b1bff5bb30b39.webp

DSC08422.webp.15fcc16251cb153165314344a1c6e6bc.webp

Posted (edited)

Bot mode is pretty sharp but I'm not too crazy about the car mode. MMC had a version of this guy as well. I find it interesting that Hasbro is starting to relent on their no-transformation restriction for other parties making Transformers figures: Robosen, LEGO, and now this collaborative approach with other toymakers. With all the talented third parties out there who've been doing it as well or better than Takara, there's a lot of potential for some really cool official toys to come out of this collab.

Hopefully a really well-executed Seeker will come of this, something along the lines of Touch Toys' Carefray, which is one of the most accurate transforming fighter figures to date, an incredible feat of engineering. It sets the bar high, and I'd love to see the same approach with an F-15, an F-35B (complete with lift fan and rotating nozzle for VTOL), or an F-22. I'd really, really love to see a YF-23 done this well, but now I'm just dreaming bigly.

Edited by M'Kyuun

Hasbro (thank god!) has nothing to do with this, it is going to be a 100% made by Takara product for their market. Takara is not relinquishing anything or outsourcing toy making to another company here, it's just that they are also cooperating with other designers and implementing their different design aesthetics.

If Hasbro has no input, I wonder if Takara would have the balls to integrate the Gun Robo line into this effort with new models; even if not Megatron. I mean, when even ray gun alt modes like Shockwave's is no longer even allowed via Hasbro, maybe we can get some output through here?

2 hours ago, lechuck said:

Hasbro (thank god!) has nothing to do with this, it is going to be a 100% made by Takara product for their market. Takara is not relinquishing anything or outsourcing toy making to another company here, it's just that they are also cooperating with other designers and implementing their different design aesthetics.

I stand corrected, and appreciate the info, Lechuck. In that case, kudos to Takara for being openminded and embracing collabs. I hope it results in some cool figs, stuff we wouldn't normally see from them or, as in my Seeker suggestion, better executed stuff than they've been doing.

2 hours ago, Radioguy said:

If Hasbro has no input, I wonder if Takara would have the balls to integrate the Gun Robo line into this effort with new models; even if not Megatron. I mean, when even ray gun alt modes like Shockwave's is no longer even allowed via Hasbro, maybe we can get some output through here?

That would be cool. The fact that obvious sci-fi ray guns can't even be realized in Hasbro's lines is just ludicrous. A realistic looking Walther P-38 is understandable, but Shockwave's alt stretches the argument's credibility. I miss the days when nearly anything was fair game as an alt mode.

I had the chance to visit the Shizuoka Hobby Show today and was able to take some pictures from the Takara booth. Please enjoy:

IMG_0967.jpeg.08aa7eb5213f8989a3e22d3778e6ccf8.jpegIMG_0965.jpeg.017f67cb49387962946e9d9401c85d19.jpegIMG_0964.jpeg.8427b5c93300fbc773f14db42c0ab2eb.jpegIMG_0963.jpeg.2339d598fa43050ae80466d287b8b247.jpegIMG_0966.jpeg.3dda66c18b12c16ef61d984d921d25ad.jpegIMG_0966.jpeg.3dda66c18b12c16ef61d984d921d25ad.jpegIMG_0962.jpeg.40032e69c2d4bdf6d4d62a749041dafd.jpegIMG_0961.jpeg.07776f73351dd58011b80c2da900461c.jpegIMG_0961.jpeg.07776f73351dd58011b80c2da900461c.jpegIMG_0958.jpeg.4ba8df1e38608b644e2932a711defd38.jpegIMG_0959.jpeg.56c0ac8034e9c8445b8c5190115859f3.jpegIMG_0956.jpeg.3f941c8c5782ce56e383bb44f12c2506.jpegIMG_0955.jpeg.8c6f30581ad993e596bab8c0ac4eb3e8.jpegIMG_0954.jpeg.b08122b9503d12be7823b375078ba6ec.jpeg

With regards to the AMT Rodimus I wonder how expensive it will be. He seems to be roughly the size of K^3 Rodimus and the prototype is painted the same way (maybe with reduced detail, hard to tell without the K^3 next to it). Plus someone already posted that it will have die cast metal parts.

So if it is the same scale, has the same amount of paint, the same material mix and has the added complexity of a transformation I can see the AMT Rodimus being as expensive (because it doesn’t come with all the useless accessories K^3 Rodimus) as the non transforming Flame Toys one.

I wonder if Transformers fans are willing to spend as much for a transforming IDW Rodimus that don’t have the Flame Toys version already.

Personally I want Takara to leave the Flame Toys designs alone. I want Flame Toys to release more K^3 figures and not force a transformation mechanism into them or compromise their designs in order to be transformable.

One commenter mentioned that maybe Flame Toys releases aren’t selling as well as expected and thus they want to recoup money by collaborating with Takara.

I can also seeing it the other way round: Takara is trying to capitalize on the success of Flame Toys.

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

Don't forget, fan stream tomorrow.  Here's a sneak peak.

IMG_8061.jpeg.c28cb32259a43d2f945db76a782b9aae.jpeg

IMG_8059.jpeg.92a4c41bd7663cc5696282ca234c49f1.jpeg

Well, it's better than Ravage, but still pretty underwhelming, especially those stubby non-articulated legs. Looks more like a Pomeranian than a lion. The head, mane and upper body and integrated weapons are a plus, though. If they'd put more of the budget into the figure instead of that superfluous speaker accessory, perhaps they could have figured out how to give him longer legs with at least knees. The G1 toy was more articulated and just looked better, flatness notwithstanding. Modern figs should manifest progression; this is a step backwards IMHO. Too, would it have killed them to apply some grey paint to the other reel? This just looks weird. 

I desperately hope Dr. Wu does improved versions of all these cassette bots. 

Well, the reveal I was most looking forward to is out there now. That and the toy itself are a bit disappointing. Still planning on getting Steelpom, but man, I was really hoping for better from an SS86 release- more Eject and less...this.

So how'd you guys like the stream today?  I haven't been super interested in the comic book line so far, because I'm not a fan of the weird cel-shaded look, but I did grow up on the comics and I'm actually pretty stoked for Straxus.  I had hoped for a bit more from Springer, but I think they changed just enough that I'm in for him, as well as Steeljaw and Bumblebee.  I hated Gamer Edition Barricade, though, so a generic Decepticon based on that figure is a huge pass.  I'll get BB Skywarp just to complete the BB Seekers.

Which kind of segues into the pipeline reveals.  Of course, I told you that most of that stuff was coming already so it's not that surprising, but I can't help thinking about how Legacy just keeps going downhill.  I bought every mainline release during WFC.  I think I even did through Legacy and Evolution, but I just can do it anymore.  I've already skipped Legacy Chromia, and I'm telling you now that even with the G1-ifying that goes on in Legacy the Animated aesthetic has never worked for me.  Bad enough I bought Prime, Motormaster's a no-go for me.  I was disappointed with Core Megatron and lukewarm on Bouldercrash, so I'll be skipping both wave 4 Cores.  Soundwave's cool for those that missed the Netflix one, but I didn't so I'm good there (unless he comes with Buzzsaw, then he's a $50 core-class purchase).  A new deco isn't going to sell me on another Metalhawk.  I'm ambivalent on Armada Galvatron, but I do think I'll end up with him.  I wish Slipstream would have been a bit more heavily retooled, but I'm in for her.  Am I supposed to be excited for Quake just because he's G1?  I think I'm reaching a point where I want the "main" casts completed from other shows before I want late G1 figures that weren't in the cartoon, like say Red Alert, Demolisher, or Cyclonus to round out the initial Armada cast, or X-Brawn or Prowl to go with Sideburn.  I'm surprisingly curious about this new Deluxe-class Optimus.  Since I first heard about it I was wondering why I'd want a Deluxe-class G1 Optimus when I know SS86 is coming, but the fact that it's based on the G1 toy instead of Sunbow is an interesting spin.

34 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

So how'd you guys like the stream today?  I haven't been super interested in the comic book line so far, because I'm not a fan of the weird cel-shaded look, but I did grow up on the comics and I'm actually pretty stoked for Straxus.  I had hoped for a bit more from Springer, but I think they changed just enough that I'm in for him, as well as Steeljaw and Bumblebee.  I hated Gamer Edition Barricade, though, so a generic Decepticon based on that figure is a huge pass.  I'll get BB Skywarp just to complete the BB Seekers.

Which kind of segues into the pipeline reveals.  Of course, I told you that most of that stuff was coming already so it's not that surprising, but I can't help thinking about how Legacy just keeps going downhill.  I bought every mainline release during WFC.  I think I even did through Legacy and Evolution, but I just can do it anymore.  I've already skipped Legacy Chromia, and I'm telling you now that even with the G1-ifying that goes on in Legacy the Animated aesthetic has never worked for me.  Bad enough I bought Prime, Motormaster's a no-go for me.  I was disappointed with Core Megatron and lukewarm on Bouldercrash, so I'll be skipping both wave 4 Cores.  Soundwave's cool for those that missed the Netflix one, but I didn't so I'm good there (unless he comes with Buzzsaw, then he's a $50 core-class purchase).  A new deco isn't going to sell me on another Metalhawk.  I'm ambivalent on Armada Galvatron, but I do think I'll end up with him.  I wish Slipstream would have been a bit more heavily retooled, but I'm in for her.  Am I supposed to be excited for Quake just because he's G1?  I think I'm reaching a point where I want the "main" casts completed from other shows before I want late G1 figures that weren't in the cartoon, like say Red Alert, Demolisher, or Cyclonus to round out the initial Armada cast, or X-Brawn or Prowl to go with Sideburn.  I'm surprisingly curious about this new Deluxe-class Optimus.  Since I first heard about it I was wondering why I'd want a Deluxe-class G1 Optimus when I know SS86 is coming, but the fact that it's based on the G1 toy instead of Sunbow is an interesting spin.

So, the vast majority of what was shown held little interest for me. I'm mostly into the G1 stuff, so Steelpom, er Steeljaw , SS86 Bee, and SS86 Springer have my attention more than anything. I already have Netflix Soundwave, and I'll not buy another copy even if it does come with Buzzsaw. I'm holding out hope that Dr. Wu will get around to making all these mainline cassettes eventually. Anyway, I already have Siege Springer, and an excellent fig is he; however, the SS86 looks to have enough improvements that I may double dip- this version lacks the battle damage of the Siege, has the angled shoulders, and I love that they worked in his integrated wrist gun. I'm a sucker for features like that, and I wish more bots came with them. SS86 bee is probably the biggest surprise, and I love the direction they took. I like the ER version a lot, partsforming notwithstanding, but I like how they're leaning into the "penny racer" look of the OG minibots for Bee. Of course, you know there'll be a Cliffjumper and other repaints/retools- this is Hasbro we're talking about, and that's just fine. As long as I get Bee and Cliffy, I'm happy. Not happy that SS86 Bee's not going to be on Pulse. One additional thought: I prefer this approach over the Missing Link; most of those old toys just don't enthrall me, and honestly lost their appeal for me back in the 80s. I pined for what we have today, and I'm just glad the franchise hung on long enough for technology and passion to give us what we wished the toys would have been. YMMV, of course, but that's my outlook.

With the upcoming leader class SS86 Optimus, this G1 toy-inspired version is curious, especially with Missing Link now available, which is as close to the OG toy as you can get with modern articulation. Is this going to be a happy medium between something like ER prime and '84 Prime? It's definitely a headscratcher, but I'm curious. Right now, I'm more interested in SS86 Prime. ER Prime is such an excellent figure; for me, he's the mainline Prime to beat so we'll see.

So, I'm a Soundwave/cassette fan and let's be honest, the Netflix/Walmart-exclusive Soundwave, a retool of the abysmally terrible Siege figure with the nondescript whatever-the-heck-it-is alt mode beggars for a completely new figure from the bottom up. If I had my druthers, he'd be rescaled to accommodate the G1 cassettes, allowing them to be universally swapped between lines. Moreover, the larger scale for the cassettes would permit better engineering than this crappy smaller scale (although Dr. Wu is doing a much better job within this scale than Has/Tak). However, even keeping within the current scale, Netflix Soundwave's leg transformation to recorder mode bends the knees the wrong way leaving the specifically shaped kneecaps, which filled in a gap in the facade of his G1 recorder mode, just hanging out weirdly. I still have my OG Soundwave, and those kneecaps, that decision to turn the Netflix version's the wrong way, just annoys the hell out of me. Takara did a great job on MP Soundwave, so why isn't that attention to detail being applied to the mainline? Or at least with consistency, as some figs are just amazing. Third parties are nailing this sort of stuff (I type as I look at my Magic Square Soundwave and his little minions, which are all better than the Hasbro figs at a much more diminutive scale). Anyway, I'm hugely disappointed that HasTak didn't avail themselves of the opportunity to completely redesign Soundwave and his minions for the better in an SS86 leader scaled release. ☹️

Are there two different versions of the Hotwheels Optimus?  While I thought the initial views of the truck/trailer combo were nice, not $10.00+ nice at 1/64th; but if it transforms, well that makes a little more sense.  Gotta be honest, Steeljaw looks good but the lack of leg articulation is a bummer!  SS86 Bee, looks good in Bot mode and while I get the Chibi racer look for the call-back to G1, Netflix Bee will officially be Alt mode for display purposes.  Springer is an Ollie's pick-up if at all; the lack of splotchy paint, painted toes and new accessories are not enough to warrant the mold again.  

24 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Dunno what's the thinking behind not putting SS86 Bee on Pulse, but here's the Amazon link.

The rest of the reveals are on Pulse, but Steeljaw already sold out.

I managed to preorder everything except for the generic Decepticon Soldier.

Thanks Mike. SS86 Bee wasn't showing up when I searched for it on Amazon, so I appreciate the link. Scored a copy! My humble thanks. 🙏

I also got Steelpom and Springer on Pulse. Rather fecally inclined that they didn't put Bee on there too. Kind of a slap in the face to members.

31 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

Dunno what's the thinking behind not putting SS86 Bee on Pulse, but here's the Amazon link.

The rest of the reveals are on Pulse, but Steeljaw already sold out.

I managed to preorder everything except for the generic Decepticon

Couldn't find it. Thanks for the link.

10 minutes ago, Wolf-1 said:

Springer is an Ollie's pick-up if at all; the lack of splotchy paint, painted toes and new accessories are not enough to warrant the mold again.  

I get the sentiment, especially with the price increase from Voyager to Leader.  But I'm the guy that bought SS86 Blaster and Buzzworthy Cliffjumper that were literally the same figures with slightly more cartoon-accurate decos.  And not only does 86 Springer have a more cartoon-accurate deco, they ditched the rotor that was two swords plugged into a useless middle part for one that transforms, and they articulated the shoulder pads so you can have them wrapped around the shoulders like the animation model instead of stuck on top.  Mostly minor things, I guess, but that's literally my two biggest gripes with the Siege toy.  Toss in a toy-accurate rifle, a handful of other accessories, and more accurate thrusters on his back/roof and I'm honestly pretty content with how it came out, even if it is still 90% Siege again.  My only real complaints are that I wish they'd covered the wheels in helicopter mode better and that they did something with his arms to make the helicopter "wings" more accurate.