The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

I completely forgot that it was Transformers Tuesday.  Maybe I'll put pictures up later.

48-transformers-facepalm.jpg.c9c5452d7186945a532cb859b67d1e45.jpg

Anyway... I preordered everything except Dirge, because I'm a glutton for punishment and because Dirge is just the one from the Dirge/Ramjet Amazon set on his own in Legacy Evolution packaging.  And if you were counting the Deluxes and thought to yourself "shouldn't there be one more?"* I told you guys back at the beginning of the year that Wave 3 would include a reissue of Tarantulas in an Evolution box.  He's not up for preorder because Pulse still has inventory from the first go.

*Or they already mentioned that in the livestream. Like I said, I missed it.

Anyway, some quick thoughts... this is such a lazy wave.  Beachcomber and Megatron both look great, but they're the only new molds (plus Beachcomber is one of my least favorite Autobots- I'd rather see Powerglide, Seaspray, Windcharger, Brawn, or Gears, to be honest).  Tarantulas and Dirge are package refreshes, Nemesis Leo is a repaint of Leo Prime with slightly tweaked accessories, Axlegrease is a moderate retool of Scraphook, and Devcon is an extensive retool of Studio Series Blurr.  And sure, Hasbro's gotta milk those molds, but do we really need obscure characters like Devcon and OCs like Axlegrease when there's all those above minibots, Octane, the other non-Menasor Prime Wars combiners, etc that need doing? (Maybe, since as of this post Devcon is the only one that sold out on Pulse.)  Heck, even outside G1, we could use Demolisher, Cyclonus, and Red Alert to finish off the main Armada cast.

Also, while it's nice that I was able to preorder wave 3, where's the preorders for Commander Prime, Titan Nemesis, and the War Dawn pack?  For that matter, how about the Studio Series Mirage that was shown way back during the Super Bowl?

EDIT: Nevermind, I saw they did announce SS86 Brawn, and preorders for most of the stuff that didn't go up today will come next month.

Edited by mikeszekely

1 hour ago, Scyla said:

I’m in for Nemesis Lio Convoy and excited for FoC Cliffjumper.

The Nemesis spaceship looks cool but I’m not feeling the odd arm proportions in bot mode. But I’m not buying it anyway so it is also not my problem. :p

IMG_8415.jpeg.275a1b1ca83bfea3cafc2ec1fad9e7c9.jpeg

I already bought Lio Convoy (Leo Prime) in his original colors, so I'm passing on Nemesis, although I prefer the painted pupils and I think it looks pretty sharp overall. However, one copy of that mold is all I need, and I'm overall satisfied with LP. I think the original WfC game Bee/Cliffjumper mold (I have Bee) was superior to this new fig, especially the look of the upper torso. The arms & head are more accurate, but everything else is just off.  Regarding the Nemesis, I was surprised that they made her a fembot, but pleased nonetheless. The bulbous forearms are an unfortunate artifact of the shape of the ship's hull; if they could shift back to form elbow armor, giving the impression of her having thinner forearms, at least partially, her look may have been improved. Regardless, overall, I think she looks fine. I don't, however, care for the look of her weapons, especially the tiny little stabilizer-cum-axes, which look ridiculously undersized. The boarding ramps, while a neat feature, don't look like they actually extend far enough to reach the Ark if you sat the ships side-by-side. Guess we'll see. I like that the lower stabilizer can fold flat, but honestly, a stand that attaches to it and holds the ship upright would have been preferable for display purposes. I'm sure third parties will come up with solutions. The only other thing they mentioned today that excited me was SS86 Brawn, but it looks like we'll have to wait until next month to PO him. I'm patient.

25 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

For that matter, how about the Studio Series Mirage that was shown way back during the Super Bowl?

Wait, what?!!! Is it a new more G1 accurate mold or just a rerelease of the crappy Kingdom Earthrise mold? Google's no help.

Edited by M'Kyuun

7 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Wait, what?!!! Is it a new more G1 accurate mold or just a rerelease of the crappy Kingdom Earthrise mold? Google's no help.

Rise of the Beasts.  Sorry to get your hopes up.

Well, not to diminish from today's excitement, but I found some non-Studio Series toys from Rise of the Beasts.  Now, I found them as a three-pack in the Buzzworthy Bumblebee packaging at Target, but AFAIK they're set to be released individually under the regular Rise of the Beasts packing, so I'll be taking a look at them individually and giving them a recommend or not based on the assumption that you can pick and choose.  Going left-to-right in the box, first up will be Deluxe-class Cheetor.

PXL_20230401_233007647.jpg.a5b319e66e5d540c143a508ec97f5ebd.jpg

Cheetor's kind of fascinating, since we already got the Voyager-class SS version, and we can see that the Deluxe-class toy is a very different figure.  Ostensibly they're supposed to be representing the same version of the same character, but the Deluxe-class toy bears a much stronger resemblance to Kingdom or even the original Beast Wars Cheetor.  He's got the cheetah chest, the blue, catlike face and the blue accents, the spikey helmet, etc.  The cat shoulders behind his back are even more accurate than the Kingdom toy.

PXL_20230401_233826879.jpg.eaac13c4b283b576c4f87aa9446e94c2.jpg

And yet, despite the similarities, ROTB Cheetor isn't really a retool of the Kingdom toy, either.  He shares no parts with that figure, and the parts he's made of include some of the browns, some of the mechanical details, and the clawed toes of the Studio Series toy.  Assuming that the Studio Series toy is more screen accurate, it's like an amalgamation of original Cheetor and the ROTB design.  I don't hate it, but I weirdly find myself wishing he didn't have the toe claws, that his pelvis and shins were blue, that his calves and hands were yellow.  I wish this looked more like OG Cheetor than ROTB Cheetor.

PXL_20230401_233556491.jpg.055e15783bcc7c674502bc398a2439bb.jpg

Cheetor comes with not one, but two accessories.  Like the Kingdom toy, ROTB Cheetor's tail turns into a weapon, but where the Kingdom toy was meant to be held by the tip of the tail and sported an awkward pickaxe that curved back too far to really be useful, ROTB Cheetor's tail is meant to be held by the same peg that plugs it into his cat butt, and the tip of the tail folds back to reveal a dagger-like blade, making it a pretty satisfying improvement.  But if that weren't enough, also included is a small gut-gun.  Could use some pink intestinal details, but I'm not complaining.  Not included is the spear that the Voyager toy sports.

PXL_20230401_233753202.jpg.d81f8b888d45a58b3134afcba8f07474.jpg

Cheetor's head is on a ball joint, and he can swivel and look almost straight up, but he lacks any real downward or sideways tilt.  Shoulders rotate and can move laterally just a little short of 90 degrees.  His biceps swivel, and his elbow bends again just short of 90 degrees.  His wrists are ball joints so they can swivel, but they can also fold inward which is odd since it's not a transformation thing.  His waist can swivel, although it's limited to about 45 degrees to either side.  His hips can go forward just under 90 degrees, a little bit backward, and about 60 degrees laterally.  His thighs swivel, and his knees bend just under 90 degrees.  His shin armor prevents his feet from tilting upward, but he's got good downward tilt and 45 degrees of ankle pivot.

Cheetor can hold his accessories by plugging the 5mm pegs into his fists.  This not being a WFC/Legacy figure, he's not sporting any other 5mm pegs.

PXL_20230401_233956657.jpg.ba62cca5ded35913c149f526bf17fb32.jpg

Which isn't to say that he can't store his gun.  There's a tab on one side, and you can use it to fit into a slot on his hip, or onto his back.  Unfortunately, there are no such options for storing his tail.  In fact, it's too long to even plug into his butt, since it's keyed so you can't even turn it to curve out of the way.

PXL_20230401_234630397.jpg.3b8f6a58e3323a6bf98180b4fd448264.jpg

Although he shares no parts with the Kingdom toy, the engineering of ROTB Cheetor is pretty similar.  His robot head turns around so his cheetah head can come up off his chest and cover over it.  The rear legs fold out of his robot legs.  His arms fold into the chest, and the front legs fold from the back to his sides.  You have to plug the tail into his butt, with his robot thighs filling in the back of the cat.  There are differences, though.  His robot tummy moves with the cheetah head to form part of the cheetah chest, and his robot collar opens up to make part of his cheetah neck.  Panels on the sides of his forearms spin around to cover his biceps and help fill in the chest, but the forearms themselves are left fairly as they are on the cheetah's tummy.  And rather than fold out of the shins, his calves open up to leg the can legs out, while his thighs actually lock into place.

PXL_20230401_234645459.jpg.8ee4ff4a8931aeba2f4024c3ca515253.jpg

So, the elephant in the room is his very obvious robot hands.  They definitely don't make for as clean a cat tummy as the Kingdom toy's, although it might have been a bit less in-your-face if they'd made his hands yellow.  And he's sporting some of the techno-organic detail we saw on the Studio Series toy.  Again, I kind of find myself wishing it were more OG Cheetor in appearance, but robo-hands aside I actually like what I see here.  He's got a leaner, more cheetah-like shape than the Kingdom toy.

PXL_20230401_234742323.jpg.cebaba0ba818ba8ac4974fe4de436085.jpg

Articulation's a bit worse.  His mouth can open, but he's got no neck articulation.  His shoulders are ball joints so they can rotate and move laterally a bit.  His elbows can forward, but he doesn't have any paw articulation.  In the rear his robo-knees allow the cat hip to go backward 90 degrees, and his cat knee can bend slightly backward and a little forward, but again no swivels, no paw articulation, and this time no lateral movement.

We covered already that his tail simply plugs into his butt to become part of the alt mode, but I'm delighted to report that his gut gun actually folds up and plugs into a peg inside his tummy, forming his actual cat guts.

Honestly, of the three figures in this jungle three-pack Cheetor is the figure I was the least interested in.  After all, I have the Studio Series toy, which is presumably the more accurate figure, right?  You might have noticed, though, that a running theme in this review is that I wish this Cheetor toy was even more like OG Cheetor and less like ROTB Cheetor.  This is simply because I honestly like this figure better than the Kingdom toy.  It's tough to actually recommend this figure- Kingdom is aesthetically more OG accurate, and (again, presumably) the Studio Series toy is a more accurate representation of the design in the actual film- it doesn't necessarily make sense to replace either of those figures for display purposes.  And yet, of the three this is the Cheetor toy I actually like the best.  Make of that what you will.

13 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Well, not to diminish from today's excitement, but I found some non-Studio Series toys from Rise of the Beasts.  Now, I found them as a three-pack in the Buzzworthy Bumblebee packaging at Target, but AFAIK they're set to be released individually under the regular Rise of the Beasts packing, so I'll be taking a look at them individually and giving them a recommend or not based on the assumption that you can pick and choose.  Going left-to-right in the box, first up will be Deluxe-class Cheetor.

PXL_20230401_233007647.jpg.a5b319e66e5d540c143a508ec97f5ebd.jpg

Cheetor's kind of fascinating, since we already got the Voyager-class SS version, and we can see that the Deluxe-class toy is a very different figure.  Ostensibly they're supposed to be representing the same version of the same character, but the Deluxe-class toy bears a much stronger resemblance to Kingdom or even the original Beast Wars Cheetor.  He's got the cheetah chest, the blue, catlike face and the blue accents, the spikey helmet, etc.  The cat shoulders behind his back are even more accurate than the Kingdom toy.

PXL_20230401_233826879.jpg.eaac13c4b283b576c4f87aa9446e94c2.jpg

And yet, despite the similarities, ROTB Cheetor isn't really a retool of the Kingdom toy, either.  He shares no parts with that figure, and the parts he's made of include some of the browns, some of the mechanical details, and the clawed toes of the Studio Series toy.  Assuming that the Studio Series toy is more screen accurate, it's like an amalgamation of original Cheetor and the ROTB design.  I don't hate it, but I weirdly find myself wishing he didn't have the toe claws, that his pelvis and shins were blue, that his calves and hands were yellow.  I wish this looked more like OG Cheetor than ROTB Cheetor.

PXL_20230401_233556491.jpg.055e15783bcc7c674502bc398a2439bb.jpg

Cheetor comes with not one, but two accessories.  Like the Kingdom toy, ROTB Cheetor's tail turns into a weapon, but where the Kingdom toy was meant to be held by the tip of the tail and sported an awkward pickaxe that curved back too far to really be useful, ROTB Cheetor's tail is meant to be held by the same peg that plugs it into his cat butt, and the tip of the tail folds back to reveal a dagger-like blade, making it a pretty satisfying improvement.  But if that weren't enough, also included is a small gut-gun.  Could use some pink intestinal details, but I'm not complaining.  Not included is the spear that the Voyager toy sports.

PXL_20230401_233753202.jpg.d81f8b888d45a58b3134afcba8f07474.jpg

Cheetor's head is on a ball joint, and he can swivel and look almost straight up, but he lacks any real downward or sideways tilt.  Shoulders rotate and can move laterally just a little short of 90 degrees.  His biceps swivel, and his elbow bends again just short of 90 degrees.  His wrists are ball joints so they can swivel, but they can also fold inward which is odd since it's not a transformation thing.  His waist can swivel, although it's limited to about 45 degrees to either side.  His hips can go forward just under 90 degrees, a little bit backward, and about 60 degrees laterally.  His thighs swivel, and his knees bend just under 90 degrees.  His shin armor prevents his feet from tilting upward, but he's got good downward tilt and 45 degrees of ankle pivot.

Cheetor can hold his accessories by plugging the 5mm pegs into his fists.  This not being a WFC/Legacy figure, he's not sporting any other 5mm pegs.

PXL_20230401_233956657.jpg.ba62cca5ded35913c149f526bf17fb32.jpg

Which isn't to say that he can't store his gun.  There's a tab on one side, and you can use it to fit into a slot on his hip, or onto his back.  Unfortunately, there are no such options for storing his tail.  In fact, it's too long to even plug into his butt, since it's keyed so you can't even turn it to curve out of the way.

PXL_20230401_234630397.jpg.3b8f6a58e3323a6bf98180b4fd448264.jpg

Although he shares no parts with the Kingdom toy, the engineering of ROTB Cheetor is pretty similar.  His robot head turns around so his cheetah head can come up off his chest and cover over it.  The rear legs fold out of his robot legs.  His arms fold into the chest, and the front legs fold from the back to his sides.  You have to plug the tail into his butt, with his robot thighs filling in the back of the cat.  There are differences, though.  His robot tummy moves with the cheetah head to form part of the cheetah chest, and his robot collar opens up to make part of his cheetah neck.  Panels on the sides of his forearms spin around to cover his biceps and help fill in the chest, but the forearms themselves are left fairly as they are on the cheetah's tummy.  And rather than fold out of the shins, his calves open up to leg the can legs out, while his thighs actually lock into place.

PXL_20230401_234645459.jpg.8ee4ff4a8931aeba2f4024c3ca515253.jpg

So, the elephant in the room is his very obvious robot hands.  They definitely don't make for as clean a cat tummy as the Kingdom toy's, although it might have been a bit less in-your-face if they'd made his hands yellow.  And he's sporting some of the techno-organic detail we saw on the Studio Series toy.  Again, I kind of find myself wishing it were more OG Cheetor in appearance, but robo-hands aside I actually like what I see here.  He's got a leaner, more cheetah-like shape than the Kingdom toy.

PXL_20230401_234742323.jpg.cebaba0ba818ba8ac4974fe4de436085.jpg

Articulation's a bit worse.  His mouth can open, but he's got no neck articulation.  His shoulders are ball joints so they can rotate and move laterally a bit.  His elbows can forward, but he doesn't have any paw articulation.  In the rear his robo-knees allow the cat hip to go backward 90 degrees, and his cat knee can bend slightly backward and a little forward, but again no swivels, no paw articulation, and this time no lateral movement.

We covered already that his tail simply plugs into his butt to become part of the alt mode, but I'm delighted to report that his gut gun actually folds up and plugs into a peg inside his tummy, forming his actual cat guts.

Honestly, of the three figures in this jungle three-pack Cheetor is the figure I was the least interested in.  After all, I have the Studio Series toy, which is presumably the more accurate figure, right?  You might have noticed, though, that a running theme in this review is that I wish this Cheetor toy was even more like OG Cheetor and less like ROTB Cheetor.  This is simply because I honestly like this figure better than the Kingdom toy.  It's tough to actually recommend this figure- Kingdom is aesthetically more OG accurate, and (again, presumably) the Studio Series toy is a more accurate representation of the design in the actual film- it doesn't necessarily make sense to replace either of those figures for display purposes.  And yet, of the three this is the Cheetor toy I actually like the best.  Make of that what you will.

With you on the wishing it was closer to OG Cheetor in color. The copper lower legs and hands just throw everything off.  Shame they couldn't find a way to hide the hands better in cheetah mode; nevertheless, it does look good in profile.  Regarding Kingdom Cheetor and this fig, I wish they'd put the lower leg on some sort of slider or hinge mechanism that allows the cat's entire back leg to sit out from the body and allow for full range of motion at the hip. One of the most irksome things about many of these figs with beast modes is the immobility of the majority of those beast modes, and I wish more engineering had gone into ensuring that both modes have a full range of articulation instead of the focus being on the bot exclusively, or nigh exclusively.

Sorry this one's going up kind of late- busy day.  But the second figure in the set is Deluxe-class Nightbird.

PXL_20230402_001233042.jpg.1bd795135164e3cdc496e9d71b00a495.jpg

Nightbird feels a bit insubstantial.  I reckon that has a lot to do with her slim limbs.  Combined with her large chest and copious hip kibble her proportions strike me as being kind of off.  Overall I thought she's a bit small, but with TLK Drift and Dropkick for scale I guess, no, she's about the same height.

Well, I have seen a render of Nightbird's robot mode, and the thin limbs and overall head sculpt are fairly accurate.  I think one of her problems comes down to where and how they arranged her kibble.  Like, the shoulder armor... she has some in the movie, but it's curved and less like what you'd see on a samurai.  The toy has a ridiculously long crotch, but the rest of her skirt is absent.  The film version has some hip kibble, but not nearly as much as the toy.  They probably should have moved some of the kibble that's on her hips to her back, as she's missing wings that the CGI model has.  Lifting her chest up and pushing it back a bit would also show more of her midsection instead of allowing the front of her alt mode to dominate her torso.

PXL_20230402_001248346.jpg.df7de28bbbf05147fe0288ea3ef1e6be.jpg

Mind you, that's just the issues I have with the sculpt.  Only the outside edges of her lower legs, part of her forearm, and some of the underside of her chest should be that brownish color- there's way too much of it here, and not enough dark gray/black.  She's missing some purple, too, mostly in her midriff.  Ironically, the purple knee pads shouldn't be purple.

PXL_20230402_001322903.jpg.a56ccb520d0ec66029b41fef861bac04.jpg

Onto accessories.  She has two.  There's a claw, done in that ugly caramel color when it should be black/gunmetal.  She also comes with a sword.  I like the purple paint on it, even it I don't think it's movie accurate.

PXL_20230402_002141392.jpg.52d8d06b8e5c4819b9a551f0f4f9bf53.jpg

Nightbird's head is on a ball joint, but the shape of it limits her up/down/sideways tilt, and even interferes with her ability to swivel her head.  Her shoulders are on ball joints that can rotate and move 90 degrees laterally, although the post itself is hinged for transformation which gives her a little extra slump/shrug.  Her biceps swivel, and her elbows bend 90 degrees.  No wrist articulation.  Her waist swivels, but now we're going to start running into issues where her hip kibble gets in the way- in this case, her backpack catches on it so she can swivel a little under 90 degrees in either direction.  The hips are ball joints, and she can get over 90 degrees forward but the kibble keeps her from getting 90 degrees backward, and the cut of the ball socket limits her lateral movement to 45 degrees.  Her thighs swivel, and her knees bend a little under 90 degrees.  You can kind of argue that he's got a double knee joint and that the upper knee joint actually gets 90 degrees on it's own, but here's the thing... the upper joint, used for transformation, is in the middle of her thigh, well above the purple knee pad.  And the actual knee is just below the knee pad.  Using the upper joint as a knee looks extremely unnatural.  Finishing up, the black part of her foot collapses but I don't think that really works as foot articulation, and her ankle can pivot about 180 degrees.  All-in-all, I could probably excuse the fairly limited range on a lot of her joints if she were a big bruiser sort of character, but on a ninja?  It's pretty disappointing.

She can hold her sword, which is rather short, in either hand.  There's also a 5mm port on the outside of both forearms, just above the wrist, where you can plug in the claw.

PXL_20230402_002549998.jpg.a28eaa1aee9440bda3778f018e9da68e.jpg

Nightbird's robot mode might not be small, but her alt mode definitely is, as she's now noticeably out-of-scale with Dropkick and Drift.  Transforming her is 75% super simple with out her hood lifts over her head with a flap to fill in the neck, arms tucking into her sides so the front wheels are in the right spot, and the backpack unfurls to form the entire top and tail of the car.  The other 25% is kind of a pain, as you have to fold up her legs in just the right way (which the instructions do NOT illustrate properly) to get the sides of the car to line up.

PXL_20230402_002627342.jpg.e8110879388cd87559a05f46d13567a7.jpg

Hasbro really did Nightbird's alt mode dirty.  I'm a big fan of the Nissan GTR/Skyline family, but Hasbro apparently didn't think it was worth licensing Nightbird's R33 alt mode.  The too-tall grill separated into two segments looks more like a Pontiac G8 than an R33.  The hood scoop is centered when it should be over the left edge.  The purple on the mirrors and rims is accurate, although the shape of the rims isn't, and the purples don't match when they should.  They slathered yellow around the headlights, which shouldn't have that copper color around the housing but the lenses should probably be silver (or, they're recessed enough on that actual car that they could be black, as they're usually in shadow).  Speaking of copper, Hasbro has copper paint running around the skirts (accurate!) but misses the rear bumper (not accurate).  The rest of the car should be gray.  Here, it's mostly gray, but there are unsightly tan hinges in the door and the back of the roof.  Worse, for some reason I can't fathom, almost the entire hood is tan.  It's wrong, and it's ugly.

PXL_20230402_002725388.jpg.8e9a11a5e4cc05ce8acc80bf431e0397.jpg

Oh, and the R33 in the movie has a big wing on the back.  It's not exactly missing from the toy, though.  Rather, this is where her accessories come into play.  The claw splits in half, and the halves tab into spots on the rear of the car, on the taillights.  Tabs on the end fit into holes in the sword, and... well, that's not what the spoiler looks like on the actual car.

PXL_20230402_003851407.jpg

The sword and claws can stay on her back for robot mode, too, but it's an all or nothing sort of thing.  Can't store the sword without storing the claw.

This non-Studio Series toy has way too much copper/brown, poor articulation, poor accessories, and an ugly too-small alt mode.  I guess the question is, which is the anomaly here? Cheetor or Nightbird?  Much like the Earthspark Deluxes feel a bit cheaper than a Legacy Deluxe despite sporting the same price, is the Rise of the Beasts line going to be cheap compared to Studio Series?  Or will other releases be good like Cheetor, and Nightbird just happens to be a swing and a miss?  Maybe the third figure in the set will give us some answers, but for now avoid this Nightbird figure and hope she gets justice in a later Studio Series release.

Edited by mikeszekely

The third figure in the pack is Deluxe-class Wheeljack.

PXL_20230402_002849115.jpg.ca03da555abcdc80c37f4c061753c686.jpg

More than any of the other Rise of the Beasts designs, I think Wheeljack's has the fandom extra riled up.  In one camp, you have the fans arguing that different Transformers continuities have characters with radically different designs as other same-named characters, it's unreasonable to expect ROTB Wheeljack to look more like G1 Wheeljack, and that ROTB Wheeljack is perfectly good design on his own.  In the other camp, you have the people pointing out that this isn't a different continuity, that Bumblebee had an established Wheeljack design and it wouldn't have the VFX team on ROTB to use the Bumblebee head and trade in the brown for green and red.  I guess you could say I was leaning toward the second group... I don't mind if he's a van instead of a sports car, and I didn't feel like the sky was falling just because they didn't stick with a design closer to Bumblebee, but I definitely would have preferred if they kept it closer to Bumblebee.

That was before I got this figure in hand.  Now, I haven't seen Wheeljack's CGI model, so I don't know how accurate this toy is or not.  And going in, sure, I knew he had the big goggles and no ears.  But now I see that those aren't goggles, they're glasses.  And he's got suspenders, for crying out loud!  No, what happened is someone working on this movie though, "Wheeljack's an engineer, how do I portray visually that he's smart?  Oh, I know!  I'll make him look like an offensive nerd stereotype!"

PXL_20230402_003338088.jpg.07d331d4b3a2db317f3a7a38714a7fe6.jpg

At least the toy is a fairly cohesive robot, which is a step up from Nightbird.  But something tells me that, once we do see the CGI model, that paint is going to turn out to be an issue on this figure.  I mean, take a look at his hands.  I assume that they're going to be black/gunmetal in the film, so what does Hasbro do?  Airbrush a little gunmetal on top of his fist... while leaving the entire rest of the fist unpainted.  

PXL_20230402_003434733.jpg.729a7e294cd8b12793e69468a0c700fd.jpg

Wheeljack's sole accessory is this gun.  I have no idea if it'll turn out to be movie accurate or not, but there it is.

PXL_20230402_004321718.jpg.4c6aa03bad1dbb911fee482bd1461877.jpg

Wheeljack's head is on a ball joint, and it can swivel.  In theory it can look down, but on my copy it pops right back up, and there doesn't seem to be any upward or sideways tilt.  His shoulders are ball joints, and they can rotate and move laterally 90 degrees.  Technically the ball joint's stem is hinged for transformation and he could have some butterfly, but his shoulder pads don't have much clearance around his chest.  His biceps swivel, and his elbows bend a little under 90 degrees.  No wrist articulation.  His waist swivels.  Hips are more ball joints, and they get 90 degrees backward, fall short of 90 forward, and get 45 degrees laterally if I'm being generous.  His thighs swivel, and his knees bend 90 degrees.  His feet are on hinged ball joints that will get a little upward tilt, plenty of downward tilt, a swivel, but a pretty minimal ankle pivot.

His gun can plug into either fist.

PXL_20230402_003425991.jpg.d9de7c996ac3c7ffab6d6f6287641e2b.jpg

And, this not being a WFC/Legacy figure, you're not going to find an abundance of 5mm ports to store his gun that isn't a fist.  That said, there is one 5mm port on his back.

PXL_20230402_004730550.jpg.7c60ede10f78e44434d5d700e4bd5bb0.jpg

Like Nightbird, Wheeljack's alt mode feels a little smallish.  Getting there isn't too difficult.  It's pretty obvious what you need to do, the trick is that there are some steps like rotating his door wings, which are made of translucent plastic, and folding them in or jamming his toes under  the front of his roof that don't leave you a lot of clearance while you're working.

PXL_20230402_004745307.jpg.6ad02695caa7d8723d2decc92ba37383.jpg

Well, I might not have seen Wheeljack's CGI model for his bot mode, but I've seen the actual Volkswagen Type 2 they used, and like Nightbird they kind of messed it up becasue they didn't license it from Volkswagen.  So instead of the VW logo you've got a small Autobot insignia and a pair of grills that the actual bus doesn't.  They squared off the headlights and the marker lights on the roof, made the turn signals blue instead of orange, and lowered the lights on the bumper.  The mix of brown and white is mostly fine, and they molded some junk on the roof that could be the actual bus' roof rack, but they left it white instead of a dirty silver, and the rims are unpainted.  The rear is missing the window and much of the white, due to being made from the robot shins.  And weirdly, while "T.V. Pablo" is printed on both sides, it's missing the "Reparacion de" before it, and the whole "Reparacion de T.V. Pablo" should stretch all the way from the rear to the side windows.  The list of services is also missing from the sides.  All that said, I don't actually hate this alt mode.  Indeed, I like the idea of a transforming VW Bus, I just wish they would have got the license.  Maybe in the future he'll get a Studio Series toy...

PXL_20230402_004821087.jpg.1cfa3ca1ae5836fb11765ecaf2e5ddf4.jpg

There's nowhere to hide Wheeljack's gun, but at least he can carry it.  You can use the same port that was on his back to have the gun facing forward.  Or, if he's being chased and you want the gun mounted to fire behind him there's a second 5mm port amidst his roof rack.

Wheeljack is... ok.  I mean, I have issues with the design, but I'm not going to ding the toy for being faithful to a bad design.  What we have here is relatively clean robot mode, a fairly straightforward transformation, and an alt mode that I kind of like but would have liked more if they licensed the actual real vehicle and got a few more details right.  While it's definitely my hope that a more accurate Studio Series figure could come at a later time, unlike Nightbird I think ROTB Wheeljack is good enough if you don't want to wait or risk that a SS figure might never come.

We wanted to share an update on packaging for Hasbro’s 6-inch-scale figures. Based on your feedback, we will be re-introducing windows and blisters to our 6-inch fan figures beginning later this year, into 2024 for select products across our portfolio of brands, including, G.I. Joe Classified, Power Rangers Lightning Collection, Star Wars Black Series and Marvel Legends. This will eventually expand to all new 6-inch figure releases.

The new windows and blisters will be made from bio PET or recycled PET helping us achieve our priority of meeting our fans’ expectations for extraordinary packaging and superior design while still developing packaging that minimizes waste and the use of virgin plastic.

Thank you again for being one of our biggest fans and for your continued support of Hasbro.

This may never apply to Transforms, and even if it does you can bet that it won't be until after Legacy Evolution.  It's an encouraging sign, though.  Personally, I don't actually mind the cardboard inserts, paper ties, or the accessories wrapped in tissue paper taped to the cardboard insert, but I utterly loathe the lack of a plastic window on everything smaller than Leader, so fingers crossed.

Read about the packaging changes yesterday and that's good news for me as I collect multiples.  For Transformers, I'll be ordering Beachcomber and SS TFTM Brawn.

BTW if anyone has a spare of Generations Earthrise Prowl, Bluestreak, and Smokescreen or the older CHUG Prowl, Bluestreak, and Smokescreen then please let me know.  Thanks.

On 4/6/2023 at 5:08 PM, mikeszekely said:

The third figure in the pack is Deluxe-class Wheeljack.

PXL_20230402_002849115.jpg.ca03da555abcdc80c37f4c061753c686.jpg

More than any of the other Rise of the Beasts designs, I think Wheeljack's has the fandom extra riled up.  In one camp, you have the fans arguing that different Transformers continuities have characters with radically different designs as other same-named characters, it's unreasonable to expect ROTB Wheeljack to look more like G1 Wheeljack, and that ROTB Wheeljack is perfectly good design on his own.  In the other camp, you have the people pointing out that this isn't a different continuity, that Bumblebee had an established Wheeljack design and it wouldn't have the VFX team on ROTB to use the Bumblebee head and trade in the brown for green and red.  I guess you could say I was leaning toward the second group... I don't mind if he's a van instead of a sports car, and I didn't feel like the sky was falling just because they didn't stick with a design closer to Bumblebee, but I definitely would have preferred if they kept it closer to Bumblebee.

That was before I got this figure in hand.  Now, I haven't seen Wheeljack's CGI model, so I don't know how accurate this toy is or not.  And going in, sure, I knew he had the big goggles and no ears.  But now I see that those aren't goggles, they're glasses.  And he's got suspenders, for crying out loud!  No, what happened is someone working on this movie though, "Wheeljack's an engineer, how do I portray visually that he's smart?  Oh, I know!  I'll make him look like an offensive nerd stereotype!"

PXL_20230402_003338088.jpg.07d331d4b3a2db317f3a7a38714a7fe6.jpg

At least the toy is a fairly cohesive robot, which is a step up from Nightbird.  But something tells me that, once we do see the CGI model, that paint is going to turn out to be an issue on this figure.  I mean, take a look at his hands.  I assume that they're going to be black/gunmetal in the film, so what does Hasbro do?  Airbrush a little gunmetal on top of his fist... while leaving the entire rest of the fist unpainted.  

PXL_20230402_003434733.jpg.729a7e294cd8b12793e69468a0c700fd.jpg

Wheeljack's sole accessory is this gun.  I have no idea if it'll turn out to be movie accurate or not, but there it is.

PXL_20230402_004321718.jpg.4c6aa03bad1dbb911fee482bd1461877.jpg

Wheeljack's head is on a ball joint, and it can swivel.  In theory it can look down, but on my copy it pops right back up, and there doesn't seem to be any upward or sideways tilt.  His shoulders are ball joints, and they can rotate and move laterally 90 degrees.  Technically the ball joint's stem is hinged for transformation and he could have some butterfly, but his shoulder pads don't have much clearance around his chest.  His biceps swivel, and his elbows bend a little under 90 degrees.  No wrist articulation.  His waist swivels.  Hips are more ball joints, and they get 90 degrees backward, fall short of 90 forward, and get 45 degrees laterally if I'm being generous.  His thighs swivel, and his knees bend 90 degrees.  His feet are on hinged ball joints that will get a little upward tilt, plenty of downward tilt, a swivel, but a pretty minimal ankle pivot.

His gun can plug into either fist.

PXL_20230402_003425991.jpg.d9de7c996ac3c7ffab6d6f6287641e2b.jpg

And, this not being a WFC/Legacy figure, you're not going to find an abundance of 5mm ports to store his gun that isn't a fist.  That said, there is one 5mm port on his back.

PXL_20230402_004730550.jpg.7c60ede10f78e44434d5d700e4bd5bb0.jpg

Like Nightbird, Wheeljack's alt mode feels a little smallish.  Getting there isn't too difficult.  It's pretty obvious what you need to do, the trick is that there are some steps like rotating his door wings, which are made of translucent plastic, and folding them in or jamming his toes under  the front of his roof that don't leave you a lot of clearance while you're working.

PXL_20230402_004745307.jpg.6ad02695caa7d8723d2decc92ba37383.jpg

Well, I might not have seen Wheeljack's CGI model for his bot mode, but I've seen the actual Volkswagen Type 2 they used, and like Nightbird they kind of messed it up becasue they didn't license it from Volkswagen.  So instead of the VW logo you've got a small Autobot insignia and a pair of grills that the actual bus doesn't.  They squared off the headlights and the marker lights on the roof, made the turn signals blue instead of orange, and lowered the lights on the bumper.  The mix of brown and white is mostly fine, and they molded some junk on the roof that could be the actual bus' roof rack, but they left it white instead of a dirty silver, and the rims are unpainted.  The rear is missing the window and much of the white, due to being made from the robot shins.  And weirdly, while "T.V. Pablo" is printed on both sides, it's missing the "Reparacion de" before it, and the whole "Reparacion de T.V. Pablo" should stretch all the way from the rear to the side windows.  The list of services is also missing from the sides.  All that said, I don't actually hate this alt mode.  Indeed, I like the idea of a transforming VW Bus, I just wish they would have got the license.  Maybe in the future he'll get a Studio Series toy...

PXL_20230402_004821087.jpg.1cfa3ca1ae5836fb11765ecaf2e5ddf4.jpg

There's nowhere to hide Wheeljack's gun, but at least he can carry it.  You can use the same port that was on his back to have the gun facing forward.  Or, if he's being chased and you want the gun mounted to fire behind him there's a second 5mm port amidst his roof rack.

Wheeljack is... ok.  I mean, I have issues with the design, but I'm not going to ding the toy for being faithful to a bad design.  What we have here is relatively clean robot mode, a fairly straightforward transformation, and an alt mode that I kind of like but would have liked more if they licensed the actual real vehicle and got a few more details right.  While it's definitely my hope that a more accurate Studio Series figure could come at a later time, unlike Nightbird I think ROTB Wheeljack is good enough if you don't want to wait or risk that a SS figure might never come.

RotB Wheeljack's a pretty neat fig, except for the atrocious head. I'm in the second camp that sees RotB as a continuation from Bumblebee, so the extreme departure from that design is rather stark, and IMHO, unnecessary; he could have easily been a new character. The nerdy head is both ugly and offensive and I wish they'd stuck with something closer to his G1 appearance. That said, my interest and enthusiasm for RotB is nigh zero from what I've seen in the trailers, so the change is relatively moot from a personal perspective, but I think it hurts the franchise overall when directors are free to do whatever they will with established characters and all sense of continuity is rent asunder by the director's whims. Alas, with Bumblebee the single exception, I've never liked the live action films and given my impression from the RotB trailer, stuff like Wheeljack's terrible makeover, the ugly Decepticon designs, etc, that's not changing.

ngl, Nightbird's alt mode isn't screen accurate with it's details, but it really captures the spirit of the movie car's hideousness. That Poor R33 looks like they found it on r/shittycarmods.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Negotiator said:

Any idea when 86 hound goes up?

Are you referring to the earth-mode retool of Siege Hound? It seems like Target delayed it, but it's on Hasbro's schedule for 2023 store exclusives.

I bought a new family car over the weekend, so when my wife was all, "we're out of bananas" and my daughter's going, "I want chocolate ice cream!" a late run to Walmart seemed like a perfectly reasonable excuse to play with my new toy.  And while I was there I found some other toys, namely Rise of the Beasts (non-Studio Series) Voyager-class figures.  So let's have a look, starting with Optimus Prime.

PXL_20230420_003001520.jpg.d802963ef90471ef7c86597ced43b78c.jpg

So, I wonder what qualifies a toy for Studio Series or not.  After looking at a few Deluxes, my best guess would be budget... that is, despite being labeled as the same classes, and despite those classes having the same price points, that the ROTB (and Earthspark) toys are cheaper for Hasbro than a Studio Series (or Legacy) figure.  And Optimus Prime might be the most obvious proof of that being the case.  We'd been able to see in the CGI of the trailer and other early promotional materials that Optimus in Rise of the Beasts is like 95% the same as Optimus in Bumblebee.  So here's ROTB Prime with Studio Series BB Prime, and just, man.  I mean, ROTB Prime is significantly smaller.  There's clearly less paint overall on the ROTB toy, too, but so much of what isn't painted (and some of what is) is like the cheapest, ugliest gray plastic.  It looks cheaper.

PXL_20230420_003026164.jpg.ce03a13607a7bcf5dfb15a0e0c6ecc62.jpg

The engineering is a lot simpler too, which leaves the steps dangling from his forearms (two more hinges would have broke the bank?), gaps in the shoulders, less mechanical details on his back, and wheels on his back that don't hide away.  The gray plastic is more dominant from the rear, as you realize that his lower legs and feet are made from it and Hasbro just threw a little blue paint on his shins and toes.

PXL_20230420_003106732.jpg.6f30a542837bc4c217ecdc039452eb0e.jpg

The cheapness even extends to his rifle, which is supposed to the the same one from the first movie and not the arm cannon from the trailer. Not only is it (top) smaller than the Studio Series one (bottom), it's more hollow and has far fewer and simpler details molded onto it.

PXL_20230420_003155427.jpg.2a3c1d35ce9457ea8e21f19d08931732.jpg

Prime's head can swivel, no tilt.  His shoulders rotate and can extend laterally over 90 degrees.  His biceps swivel, and although his elbows are single hinges they bend well beyond 90 degrees.  His wrists are ball joints.  It's tight, but they do swivel, and they bend inward for transformation.  The molded details on his abs get caught on a hinge in his waist, so he has only a very limited waist swivel, but due to transformation he has a swivel below the chest, too.  The aforementioned hinge is for transformation, but it can be used as an ab crunch.  His hips can go about 90 degrees forward, 45 degrees backward, and 90 degrees laterally.  His thighs swivel, and his knees bend 90 degrees.  His feet have good up and down tilt in addition to about 45 degrees of ankle pivot.

Prime can hold his rifle in either hand.

PXL_20230420_003236127.jpg.61872e44123b8af1b9f887f348cad37f.jpg

The rifle can also be stored in a 5mm port on Prime's back, although you have to open the tires a bit to make room for the barrel.

PXL_20230420_004101589.jpg.e0a642c86c764e03a0cba05671a4eec0.jpg

Transforming ROTB Prime has a lot of similar notes to the Studio series toy.  He still rotates 180 degrees at the chest, his arms still tuck into the sides, kibble on his arms fills in the sides of the cab while kibble from his back fills in the front, fuel tanks fold out of his thighs etc.  The reduced budget makes ROTB Prime's transformation smoother and less finnicky, though.  Things tuck into place and panels tab down solidly.  He is still smaller, though.

PXL_20230420_004111239.jpg.e8bbc03b6a04d1882c28c0fa18a4e3b6.jpg

One would imagine that an eventual Studio Series toy of ROTB Prime will be more film accurate.  Like, he's got the new metal bars on the front of the cab, but the lights should be on the red part of the cab, not the bumper.  The naked gray plastic "silver" stripe on the front of the cab should wrap around to the sides and then angle upward, and they don't.  The fuel tanks should be round, not square.  And, y'know, there's those big gray feet running along the back.  With their hollowed-out soles Prime almost looks like a dump truck!  More hinges to fold the flaps on the smokestacks over would be nice, too, but they are at least on the actual truck.

PXL_20230420_004206518.jpg.7a4f4d46064302fea3c5d68ddc987991.jpg

Prime does have a hitch inside his follow feet, and you use it to store the rifle.  There's notches on both sides for the magazine to sit in, too, so the rifle can either face backward like he's shooting 'Cons chasing him, or you can turn it around so the barrel's pointing into the cab for a more stowed look.

PXL_20230420_004346061.jpg.234a57431624d140b7598f9fe20556c0.jpg

What the hitch doesn't do, at least not well, is pull a trailer.  The simple fact is that putting the hitch on the bottom of his feet, and folding his feet on top of his shins for truck mode, simply makes the back of the truck too tall.  

I'm not going to lie, the downright cheap appearance of this figure out of the package left a pretty negative impression on me.  But after handling him for awhile, credit where it's due, ROTB Prime has good articulation, better proportions than the Studio Series Bumblebee Prime, and a more pleasant transformation.  The truck mode isn't the most-accurate, but it's in the ballpark and recognizably Optimus Prime.  And, I think we're getting to the real difference between the main ROTB line and Studio Series.  It's not (exactly) budget, it's the audience.  Studio Series is aimed at adult collectors, so it needs to look a little more premium.  It can afford a little more complex engineering.  And the ROTB line is the action figures for the kids.  Can't comment on the "for kids" part, but I can confirm, ROTB Prime is a great action figure.  He's just fun to put into dynamic poses.  He's the kind of figure you can quickly flip back and forth between modes.  Sure, he's not going to be the prettiest Prime in a display, but he's a Prime that's good for playing with, and I think that ultimately earns him a recommend from me (with the caveat that I'd like to see a good Studio Series version later).

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

Like, he's got the new metal bars on the front of the cab, but the lights should be on the red part of the cab, not the bumper. 

That's the kind of thing that makes me think they do it intentionally so the adult market has to upgrade later. There's no reason I can see for the headlights to be in the wrong place, it's just so a slight mold change later can sell the same toy again.

And following on the heels of last night's Voyager-class Optimus, today we've got the other Voyager from the first-wave Rise of the Beasts toys... who is also Optimus.

PXL_20230420_004816691.jpg.c14f4ad483045ebb2e783f88163669de.jpg

OK, so this one's Primal, not Prime, but it's still kind of amusing to me that they're front-loading their Voyagers with bots named Optimus.  Anyway... Primal here has definitely got that movie aesthetic that we saw on Studio Series Cheetor (but not so much the mainline Deluxe Cheetor).  There are elements of the original Beast Wars character with the shoulder pads and Popeye forearms, and arguably even in the Optimus Prime-esque head, but the bright red, white, and blue robot bits on black gorilla fur have been replaced with a most monochromatic mixing of grays.  Some of the "metal" parts could maybe have been a bit more coppery, but as near as I can tell it's accurate to the film.

PXL_20230420_004830480.jpg.e5902f2c33fa3bfe79b5434a0b7cfefe.jpg

The proportions are a bit chunky compared to the CGI model, but there are the realities of turning a robot into a gorilla to contend with.  Hence the butt flap, which kind of looks like his gorilla face turned upside down and only from the nose up.

PXL_20230420_005008458.jpg.2cb229254cc9902c62bd31a147d24dd7.jpg

He comes with a pair of scimitars.  They're fine, I guess.  They could have used a little red paint on the handles, but they're otherwise accurate as well as character-appropriate.

PXL_20230420_005046535.jpg.c884b92bb5ee46ae065ac2cc4593af59.jpg

Primal's head is on a ball joint.  He can look down a little and tilt his head sideways, but he can't really look up, and even the swivel is limited by his collar.  His shoulders swivel and extend laterally 90 degrees.  His biceps swivel, elbows bend 90 degrees, and his wrists swivel.  His waist swivels, as long as you lift his butt flap so it can clear his hips... hips that go 90 degrees forward and laterally on big ball joints, but almost nothing backward.  His thighs swivel, and his knees bend roughly 120-130 degrees on a double joint.  His feet have no upward or downward tilt, and only the barest of ankle pivots.

Primal can hold a scimitar in each hand.

PXL_20230420_012712412.jpg.53a6929f4b1eb1ac878f3b67539fa160.jpg

Alternatively, you can plug one into the top and one into the bottom of the same fist to give him the appearance of carrying a single double-bladed weapon.  And when not carrying them, Primal can store his weapons on his back using tabs on the handles that fit into slots on his back.

I'll note, though, that Kingdom Optimus Primal has shoulder cannons built into his backpack, and blasters that pop out of his wrists.  ROTB Primal does not... he's just got his scimitars.

PXL_20230420_005530768.jpg.80ea6cef74971efe1f8c84a158ebf68e.jpg

Going from one primate mode to another never made much sense to me, and it never seemed to make for particularly involved transformations, what with his gorilla arms just being his robot arms with the shoulder pads down.  In broad strokes, you're already familiar with this transformation- open the chest, rotate the bot head in and the gorilla head out, swap the robot chest for the gorilla chest, spin him at the waist.  The main differences are small changes to the execution.  Like, his robot feet don't simply fold up, his shins open up so they can tuck inside.  And instead of flipping his robot chest around, the robot chest opens, to reveal the gorilla chest behind it.  The gorilla chest splits open, which allows you to swap the heads, but also to allow the robot chest to slide in so the gorilla chest can close up over it.  It's still very, very simple though.

PXL_20230420_005539780.jpg.0d840edcca3ce8ac2e6a85e2b3189331.jpg

I dig the gorilla mode.  I've long said that I prefer a more robotic animal mode to the purely organic alts of the original Beast Wars cast.  But, weirdly, I also think that this figure has a more accurate gorilla mode.  The robot thighs tuck into the gorilla hips giving him a curved tummy and an arched back of a mountain gorilla.

PXL_20230420_005638513.jpg.5a0b9f208beb2fceab29b6472682c879.jpg

Unfortunately, what the gorilla mode doesn't have a lot of is articulation.  His gorilla head can look up, which is really forward with this quadrupedal stance.  And it swivels, but again in this position is more like a tilt, which is especially true because his head lacks to clearance to swivel if you tilt his head down for a more bipedal stance.  There's a second swivel that should let him look left/right when his head is tilted up/forward, but again it doesn't quite have the clearance around the hump at his collar.  His arms have the same articulation as robot mode, which to be clear isn't really enough to get him in a chest-beating pose.  With his robot thighs kind of tucked in under his butt plate his waist swivel is effectively locked and his knees are bent forward as far as they go.  They can bend back on just one of the joints in his robot knee (the other being tucked under the butt plate) to an almost bipedal posture, but set weirdly far back.  And with the front of his robot feet encapsulated in his thighs what little ankle articulation he had in robot mode is basically eliminated.

Well, he can at least sill wield his weapons, or store them the same way he did in robot mode.

My out-of-the-box, initial impressions of Primal were a bit more positive than they were with Prime.  He seems like a decent match for what you see on screen in robot mode, and the gorilla mode is surprisingly striking.  And yet, after handling them for awhile, it's clear that Prime is actually the better toy.  Primal is lacking in articulation in both modes, and the result is that Prime just looks more dynamic, even when they're both just standing in a casual a-stance.  That said, Primal's not a bad figure at all.  If and until a better Studio Series figure is released ROTB Primal is a solid toy that should work fine in a movie collection.

15 hours ago, JB0 said:

Dammit, Hasbro! You have two major characters known for turning into a gun, and this isn't either of them!

IMG_20230420_210151.jpg

Y'know, I saw that at Target the other day and almost bought one, even though it looks really crappy.  But if it was Megatron or Shockwave, yeah, I'd have definitely pulled the trigger.  Pun intended.

BTW, looks like preorders for the Titan Nemesis should go up May 2nd.

On 4/23/2023 at 11:35 AM, no3Ljm said:

Not a toy news. But is sure is cool who lives in Hong Kong. :rolleyes:

TRANSFORMERS: THE ARK Restaurant, Causeway Bay, Hong Kong.

Photos from TagHobby.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hasbro needs to take some notes; serious missed opportunity. 

Well, guess what showed up from Amazon today?  It's Studio Series Gamer Edition Voyager-class Optimus Prime.

PXL_20230427_003319748.jpg.afbd00f5eb5f9447f1f939eaa0faa3cb.jpg

Just when the confusion between the War for Cybertron video game from High Moon Studios and the War for Cybertron trilogy of G1-ish Transformers toys (and an accompanying Netflix series) was dying down, Hasbro decided to expand the Studio Series line into video games with a new Gamer Edition sub-brand.  And one of the first figures they decided to make was Optimus Prime.  Now, this exact version of Prime had already had a Deluxe-class figure released way back in 2010, and to be honest when I first saw the new one my initial impression was that it looked a bit cheap.  In hand, though, side-by-side with the older figure, I don't think the new one looks bad at all.  Indeed, the beefier proportions and cleaner shoulders are actually quite an improvement.

PXL_20230427_003331341.jpg.033592b483c63654ae18764bea72faaf.jpg

The new figure isn't perfect... much of the alt mode's front end is hanging off his back, for instance, instead of the moving Autobot insignia you spend most of the game looking at.  But, again, that's kind of true for the original, and in some ways things like the wheels on his back are improved.  Plus, the new figure is a Voyager and a good head taller.  That's better!  I mean, he should scale better with other more modern Transformers, right?  Well... that depends on how big you think Prime is supposed to be.  The same size as G1 Optimus?  SSGE Prime is a full head shorter than Siege/Earthrise/Legacy Optimus, roughly the same height as Rise of the Beasts Optimus.  Personally, I think that's a little on the short side, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt... maybe Prime gets a little bigger between games.  Maybe a SSGE Fall of Cybertron Optimus Prime (which I definitely do want) will be a little bigger.

PXL_20230427_002820132.jpg.02cd769f876213d3854232f86e07faec.jpg

Prime's got a few accessories, and they're more game accurate than the folding gun that came with the 2010 figure.  You've got a blaster, an axe that comes in three parts and the Matrix of Leadership.

PXL_20230427_004225964.jpg.ae788b1666e98b05a7c6507520896bde.jpg

Prime's head is on a ball joint that swivels and looks up pretty good, looks down a little, and has a very limited sideways tilt.  His shoulders rotate and extend laterally a little over 90 degrees.  His biceps swivel, and his elbows bend a bit over 90 degrees.  His wrists and waist both swivel, which is an improvement over the original figure.  His hips go 120 degrees forward, 90 degrees laterally, but only a tiny bit backward.  His thighs swivel, and his knees bend 90 degrees.  His feet tilt down slightly, nothing up, and his ankles pivot 45 degrees.  All-in-all nothing spectacular, but still improved over the 2010 figure.

The blade of Prime's axe can fold to be big on one end, small on the other or symmetrical on both ends.  And the handle breaking apart into segments allows you to give him a long handle he can hold with both hands and an asymmetric axe head, like the game's cutscenes.

PXL_20230427_003848062.jpg.6329bff42421957130c0cfdb141ec804.jpg

Or you can give him a shorter-handled, symmetric-headed axe that you see him actually swinging in-game.  As for the blaster, to again re-create that in-game appearance, Prime's right forearm can be removed to reveal a 5mm peg.  that peg fits into a on the blaster.  Don't worry about losing his arm, though.  There's a small peg on it that allows you to plug it into a port on his butt.  However, there's no storage for his axe or his blaster in robot mode.  Despite the presence of a 5mm peg on the axe handle, there's no place to plug it into.

PXL_20230427_002843214.jpg.82e67e17d14b1feb34825c7688864e4f.jpg

There's a place for the Matrix, though... it's in his chest!  It's nice to see that they painted the inside a gunmetal color.

PXL_20230427_002152182.jpg.4e724bba9cefe9bbbb36b3b9a7af5154.jpg

Do you remember how to transform the 2010 Deluxe figure?  Well, forget it, because the new figure has a totally different and, in my opinion, easier transformation.  There's just less fidgety panels and fewer parts that feel like they're getting in your way.

PXL_20230427_002402243.jpg.cad5598963470ff0e678bcfbd446ef27.jpg

I don't actually have a ton to say about Prime's alt mode.  Aside from a few spots like in the bumper and on the exhaust pipes that could use a bit of that glow paint he's pretty accurate to the in-game model, but so was the first one.  I like that he top of the back end looks more purposeful than just his folded-up thighs, but near as I can tell the gray of the folded-up thighs is more correct than the blue on this one.  I'm also not a fan of the exposed hands on rear.  Seems like it wouldn't have been too hard for Hasbro to have engineered some hinged flaps that could sit against his calves in robot mode and covered the fists with the in-game taillights, but what do I know?  My copy also has a spot where the guy painting the red on the sides near the pipes went out of the lines a bit, but that might just be my copy.  For the most part, though, it's accurate enough that it's fine, and that's all it really needs to be.

PXL_20230427_002514409.jpg.767205e83021564a34cdeeceac896cdc.jpg

Unlike his robot mode, Prime can store all his accessories in alt mode.  Basically, with the axe in the symmetrical position, there's a notch on it that fits onto a tab on top of the gun.  The gun itself has two tabs on the under side that fit into slots on the back of the truck.  And that's really how it's intended, but I'll note again that there's a peg on the axe handle that hasn't been used yet.  And where the robot mode lacked 5mm ports, the alt mode is actually sporting one on each side in front of the exhaust pipes, and two on the back near the slots the gun tabs into.  So, y'know, options.

Studio Series Gamer Edition Optimus Prime is by no means a revolutionary, must-have figure the way Earthrise Optimus was.  But it is better than the 2010 figure in all the right ways- bigger, better proportions, better accessories, better articulation, and better transformation.  If you're looking for a toy that represents this particular Optimus Prime, this is the one to get, and I don't regret upgrading from the 2010 toy.  I just wish he were a little bigger, had some better accessory storage in robot mode, and covered up his fists in alt mode.

I preordered the other Game Edition figures, which are also from War for Cybertron.  Will Hasbro continue the Gamer Edition sub-brand?  What other games could they cover?  I don't know that I'm exactly champing at the bit for every design that appeared in the High Moon games- in fact, I don't know that I really care all that much about Bumblebee or Barricade.  But I do rather like this figure, I hope WFC Megatron gets the same treatment, and then I hope we eventually see the Fall of Cybertron versions of Prime and Megs in Studio Series packaging before too long.

Edited by mikeszekely

It's like the Ark... I'm in it for the alt mode.

Anyway, kind of a stupid review for you today, but I was bored and at Walmart and I picked up Rise of the Beasts Weaponizer Optimus Prime.

PXL_20230502_022927927.jpg.311a25eacded770933fe3536e9f545ab.jpg

The figures in this line are outside the usual Core/Deluxe/Voyager/Leader standard classes.  What we have here is an Optimus Prime that's roughly the same size as a Deluxe, but with the simplicity of a Core-class (and maybe less paint).

PXL_20230502_022936819.jpg.2a4a379983800805cb6d2a2813323165.jpg

I'm not even sure where to begin with this thing, at least as far as aesthetics.  It's recognizably ROTB Optimus.  And given that it's a simpler, cheaper figure I don't even mind stuff like the hollow calves, the grill on his back, and the kibble wrapped around his fists.  What I'm not loving, though, is the lack of paint.  His entire arms and abdomen are red, and there's no painted details on his shins.  I feel like just touching this guy up with a silver Sharpie paint marker would go a long way toward making him a decent cheaper Optimus.  But do I need a decent cheaper Optimus?  I already have a Voyager-class one, which is the one that would appeal to more adult collectors like myself.

PXL_20230502_023031390.jpg.2119421b08cecf7e7cf27a5a10f64a10.jpg

The obvious answer is that this isn't a Studio Series release or even a $30 dollar Voyager, it's priced around $16 and one might reasonably assume it's for younger kids, not adult collectors.  But my personal answer would be the accessory.  Weaponizer Optimus is not a "weaponizer" in the Siege sense.  He doesn't come apart, and you can't turn his leg into a rifle for another figure to use.  In this case, it means that he doesn't come with the usual rifle.  Instead, he comes with this guy, the aptly-named Chainclaw.  Chainclaw is basically a Battle Master (shown here with the Siege Battle Master Pteraxadon for scale).  In one mode, he's a neat blue wolf with minimal articulation (his legs can swivel at the hips/shoulders, and that's it).  But, he turns into a chainsaw weapon for Prime to use.

PXL_20230502_023249778.jpg.0a5af02d468495ed5e9a28f1d6edc7c9.jpg

On that note, Prime's head is on a swivel.  His shoulders are hinged swivels that get 90 degrees of lateral motion, plus there are backward butterfly joints for transformation).  His elbows are ball joints that bend 90 degrees and double as bicep swivels.  He doesn't have an actual waist swivel, but due to his transformation he's got a mid-torso swivel.  Hips are ball joints that go 90 degrees forward, almost nothing backward, and about 45 degrees laterally.  Knees are also ball joints that bend 90 degrees and act as thigh swivels.  No wrist or foot articulation.

Prime can hold Chainclaw in either fist.

PXL_20230502_023951225.jpg.87c0c1439e53f56b3af9466bfaf38b4a.jpg

And in a feature the larger Voyager toy lacked, this Prime has a few extra 5mm ports.  You can mount Chainclaw to either forearm, the side of Prime's legs (on the higher wheel), or one of the two 5mm ports on his back.

PXL_20230502_024320627.jpg.b22f96d83e10833bf1dedf69b1493916.jpg

Transforming Prime is super simple, to the point that I didn't even look at the instructions.  Tuck the head in, spin the upper torso 180, tuck the arms into the sides, fold in his heel spurs, tab his legs together, then bend his hips 90 degrees so that his elbows tab into his knees.

PXL_20230502_024346967.jpg.020f4c61f5c9c8eebc711d43aad4a0d5.jpg

Again, the truck is recognizably Optimus, with the usual simplifications you might see on a cheaper figure like a shorter cab with a visible gap (and head) in the back, a rear that's still obviously robot legs without even trying to hide the feet, and a lack of paint that does the molded headlights no favors.

PXL_20230502_024419983.jpg.95c64bc0bb49d569872eb4b77b0fb51b.jpg

In truck mode, the 5mm ports on his arms are now on the sides of the cab, and are still available for weapon storage along with the ones on his wheels.

Usually, this is the part where I recommend a toy or not, but I'm not really sure how to approach it on this one.  I mean, the Voyager-class toy is clearly a superior toy and the one that most adult collectors should focus on.  It's clear that Hasbro meant for this to be a cheaper alternative for the kiddos that see the movie and want an Optimus toy but whose parents don't feel like shelling out $35 or whatever on a Voyager-class toy they're likely going to break.  Plus you get a cool wolf that turns into a chainsaw.  So no, it's not a brilliant toy, but I get why it exists and believe there's a market for it.

And, just like we had Prime and Primal in the Voyagers, I'm following up Rise of the Beasts Weaponizer Optimus Prime with ROTB Weaponizer Optimus Primal.

PXL_20230502_024506571.jpg.2be599182306066603353be876a34054.jpg

Like Prime, Primal is a Deluxe-sized toy with super simple engineering and paint.  Like Prime he's sporting some paint, but this time it feels less minimal.  That's partly because my unscientific eye test suggests that there's more... the darker grays on his shoulders, torso, and the sides of his calves, the silver on the outside of his forearms, and his blue eyes vs just the blue eyes and windows and silver sun visor, smokestacks, and pelvis on Prime... but perhaps also because Primal's "shades of gray" movie design is easier to emulate, even if it's not exactly the same as the Voyager.

PXL_20230502_024514488.jpg.3c39cac7eb451e04f038f90cd7e3547a.jpg

Speaking of not exactly the same, I'll note that much like Cheetor's mainline Deluxe is more similar to his OG Beast Wars design than the ROTB CGI or Studio Series toy, Weaponizer Primal has elements like the orb in his chest and a cutout in his mask for a visible mouth that are a bit more OG Optimus Primal than the final CGI/Voyager figure.  I wonder if, at some point in development, the character models were closer to the original Beast Wars designs before some clown executive at Paramount was like, "they look too cartoony, make them look more like generic robots!"

PXL_20230502_024617063.jpg.3471701cb532060aaed9b2590c02bf97.jpg

Anyway... as with Prime the gimmick here is that Primal trades his scimitars for a beast partner that turns into his weapon.  This time we get a white tiger named Arrowstripe, who turns into a crossbow.

PXL_20230502_024738045.jpg.beaef11a7304245b5ad986adf676f157.jpg

For all his simplicity I thought Prime was decently articulated.  Primal a bit less so.  See, he's got no head articulation.  Ball-jointed shoulders rotate and move laterally a bit under 90 degrees.  Ball joints in his elbows allow for 90 degrees of bend and double as his bicep swivel.  No wrist or waist swivel.  Ball joints at the hips go forward and backward 90 degrees, but only about 45 degrees laterally.  Also, the tiny amount of swiveling on the ball joint is the only thigh swivel you're going to get.  His knees bend a meager 45-ish degrees.  He's got no tilt or pivot in his ankles, but for transformation they do swivel.

Arrowstripe fits neatly into either of Primal's fists.

PXL_20230502_024802352.jpg.2c5b0da45b5bca4b5aedbddbff361dae.jpg

And, like Prime, he's got a few extra 5mm ports.  There's one on the outside of each forearm, one on the outside of each calf, and on in the middle of his back.

PXL_20230502_025245121.jpg.4e2c141dff2c9e81158cc672845e6e76.jpg

Where Prime had a transformation so simple I didn't bother with the instructions, Primal's is actually so simple I had to look at the instructions to confirm that that was really all there was.  Basically, you fold the shoulder pads down, spin his feet around, use the double hinges in his knees to shift his lower legs forward and up a bit, then unfold the entire front of his torso (head included), spin it 180 degrees to swap the robot and gorilla sides, then fold it back up.  That's it.  And with so little changed from the back and sides I didn't even bother to do the front/side/back shots.  You can pretty much tell what you've got by looking at the robot mode, and then looking at the newly-revealed gorilla torso and face.

And... they look fine, I guess.  Again, a bit more of a mechanical-greebly Beast Wars Primal, especially on the face, than the final CGI model, but also ultimately a "shades of gray" robot gorilla, and therefore passably Primal for the assumed demographic of younger kids who aren't getting the Voyager.  I'll note that while the Voyager can't really do the bipedal posture Beast Wars Primal often used in the cartoon, Weaponizer Primal can't really pull off the quadrupedal stance of the Voyager toy.

PXL_20230502_025352827.jpg.3ec3003c80a02af4f800dcaea6823df4.jpg

As you'd probably expect from the minimal changes between robot and ape, while in gorilla mode Primal can still hold Arrowstripe in his fists, and he still has access to the 5mm ports on his forearms, legs, and back.

Well, I think Primal's aesthetics work better than Prime's, but Prime has a bit better articulation and a bit more effort to transform.  Neither figure is particularly appealing to an adult collector, but their sub-Deluxe prices and relative simplicity should actually make them fairly appealing to their younger kids that I assume are the target audience for these figures.