The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

18 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

Friendly reminder that this is happening today.  

Thanks for the reminder.  My kid woke me up at 3:30 and kept me up until 4:30.  Now I feel all sluggish and brain-foggy, and I definitely would have forgot.

-So... I guess I gotta buy Transformers: The Movie.  Again.  Mmm... 4K...

-I mean, Hasbro has to be aware of the leaks, but there's your confirmation that they're aware of the leaks.

-Interesting.  So Slag's a Hasui design...

-Speaking of his horns, yeah, the white/silver is cartoon accurate.  But I hope that some 3rd party does the red horns.

-Studio Series Gnaw.  Definitely looks better than the Legends-class, especially the bot mode.  Might have to buy like three of them.

-Studio Series Wreck-Gar.  No surprises there.

-Preorders at 1:00pm EDT.

-Pulse-exclusive Shattered Glass Starscream.  It's based on the Siege mold, not the Earthrise one, so it'll be my... 10th copy of the mold, I think.

2 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

-So... I guess I gotta buy Transformers: The Movie.  Again.  Mmm... 4K...

-I mean, Hasbro has to be aware of the leaks, but there's your confirmation that they're aware of the leaks.

-Interesting.  So Slag's a Hasui design...

-Speaking of his horns, yeah, the white/silver is cartoon accurate.  But I hope that some 3rd party does the red horns.

-Studio Series Gnaw.  Definitely looks better than the Legends-class, especially the bot mode.  Might have to buy like three of them.

-Studio Series Wreck-Gar.  No surprises there.

-Preorders at 1:00pm EDT.

-Pulse-exclusive Shattered Glass Starscream.  It's based on the Siege mold, not the Earthrise one, so it'll be my... 10th copy of the mold, I think.

Gnaw is also a Husui-san design. Nice to know he's still designing these things, and I'm especially glad to know that he appears to be behind the Dinobots. Sucks that they're reverting back to the politically correct Slug so as not to offend our British cousins. I get that the term 'slag' has a derogatory slang meaning towards women in Britain, but I assume its proper meaning is the same as it is here- the cast off by-product of smelting metal. Since we're predominantly English speakers, America no doubt carried the term over from our British forebears. It just seems overly fussy to assume the slang meaning when you're talking about a bunch of robots, but such is the sensitive world we live in.-_-

Gnaw was a nice surprise; it is nice to get those from time to time, and I'm glad the Hasbro folks got to spring it on us. Evan, the product designer who presented this morning, is definitely a TF fan, and I like his natural and generally uninhibited geeky discourse when they do these presentations- unlike a lot of the marketing presenters, he doesn't come across as just reading off a teleprompter. I appreciate these presentations, period; they don't have to, but it's a pleasant way to peddle their wares (b/c of course these are elaborate commercials), and we get some insight to the people behind the scenes, the processes (Evan's speaking about the challenges of trying to color match to TF: The Movie was interesting), and guest appearances like Matt Ferguson this morning. Seemed like a very modest fellow, but his talent is readily apparent when you consider the body of his work. 

I really wish they'd tell us whether or not G1 toy versions of the Dinobots are coming, but of course that would probably hurt sales of the current Movie inspired toys; I'd likely eschew the Movie versions in lieu of the toy versions, so I'm the guy they're trying to get to double dip, which I probably will if toy versions are released later on. They need to make a t-shirt with a bunch of multiples and repainted figs on it superimposed with the word, "SUCKER". That's me. I say it with a cheeky grin, though. I could be a meth head or a an alcoholic, but plastic toys are a much more fulfilling addiction, methinks. Healthier, too, or so I'm lead to believe. Just not very space efficient.

So, yeah, I'm down for all the SS86 stuff they showed off this morning. I have neither familiarity nor interest in Shattered Glass, but I'm happy for the folks who are invested in that storyline. Even if they're just repaints, at least they're making the effort. More than we Animated fans have gotten.<_< 

I think I'm in for all three too. 

For me, Gnaw's new studio series design is a welcome change. The previous generations releases were all long in the tooth. I like how Gnaw has both of his weapons again too (like the old G1 toy). It does make me wish that they had been able to make similar design changes with Blur, Mirage, and Ultra Magnus. Oh well, it is what it is.

49 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

I really wish they'd tell us whether or not G1 toy versions of the Dinobots are coming, but of course that would probably hurt sales of the current Movie inspired toys; I'd likely eschew the Movie versions in lieu of the toy versions, so I'm the guy they're trying to get to double dip, which I probably will if toy versions are released later on. They need to make a t-shirt with a bunch of multiples and repainted figs on it superimposed with the word, "SUCKER". That's me. I say it with a cheeky grin, though. I could be a meth head or a an alcoholic, but plastic toys are a much more fulfilling addiction, methinks. Healthier, too, or so I'm lead to believe. Just not very space efficient.

It's funny, when we're talking expensive MP figures I want one definitive design, because I don't have the shelf space or cash for repaints.  But mainline stuff?  Sure, I'll take both a cartoon-colored and a toy-colored version.  Gimme all the repaints.  10 Siege Seekers!

49 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

So, yeah, I'm down for all the SS86 stuff they showed off this morning. I have neither familiarity nor interest in Shattered Glass, but I'm happy for the folks who are invested in that storyline.

I'm down for all of it.  The 4K Blu-ray, SS 86, and Starscream.  I actually am not a big fan of Shattered glass, but I'm buying the Seekers in every color.

EDIT: Grabbed Gnaw and Starscream at Pulse.  Was going to grab Slag, too, but for some reason Wreck-Gar wasn't up on Pulse yet, so I went to check Amazon.  Wreck-Gar is up, but it said that I ordered him already.  That's when I remembered I wishlist-preordered him and Slag already.

Edited by mikeszekely

now the question i find myself asking is do i really want to duplicate my collection in every scale and continually upgrade and replace those of same scale?

doing i get 3 gnaws to replace my 3 igear sharkticons?  do i get SS dinobots in chug scale even though i've got mp scale dinos?  do i get wreck gar when the classics toy is pretty decent (though not accurate to g1 source) and KFC's crash hog is pretty awesome in mp scale?

i mean wiht macross i REFUSE to completely duplicate what i did with yamato 1/60 in bandai DX format (bandai makes this easy because they will never cover as many variants) though i have picked up a few.  hi metal R was an easy buy in due to availbility of destroids and enemy mecha (of course i bought some valks to go with them!).... with TF will i feel like i missed out on SS86 slag even if i like scoria better?  the easy answer is to just buy it all but like space, cost, and time/maintenance etc...  decisions.  gnaw and wreck gar i will get and if i feel i dn't need them will get rid of but slag...i'm unsure.

I was putting in my order on Pulse, and it wasn't accepting the promo code "I still function" that they gave us in the vid. Well, in the time it took me to go back and look it up and then try several times, Slag sold out and he was removed from my cart. Grrrr!

So, to put it in perspective, Slag sold out within about 17 minutes of availability on Pulse. Not quite Macross 'midnight madness', but pretty damned close for a mass retail fig. Crazy.:wacko:

Edited by M'Kyuun

15 minutes ago, M'Kyuun said:

I was putting in my order on Pulse, and it wasn't accepting the promo code "I still function" that they gave us in the vid.

I think that code was for 80s Tees.  But even with it their stuff is way too expensive.  I mean, I'm used to paying a bit more for T-shirts because I'm a hockey fan and the NHL has to get their cut, but even Pittsburgh Penguins t-shirts don't cost $45 dollars.

19 minutes ago, Mechapilot77 said:

doing i get 3 gnaws to replace my 3 igear sharkticons? 

I just preordered a single Gnaw for now, since I already have the Titans Returns Gnaw, the repaint that was in the Pit of Judgement, and Cyberverse Warrior-class Gnaw which is basically an embiggened TR Gnaw.  I might grab extras if/when SS Gnaw turns up in stores.

Hey, if you do go the replace route, shoot me a PM.  I might be willing to buy the iGear ones off of you.

5 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

I think that code was for 80s Tees.  But even with it their stuff is way too expensive.  I mean, I'm used to paying a bit more for T-shirts because I'm a hockey fan and the NHL has to get their cut, but even Pittsburgh Penguins t-shirts don't cost $45 dollars.

I just preordered a single Gnaw for now, since I already have the Titans Returns Gnaw, the repaint that was in the Pit of Judgement, and Cyberverse Warrior-class Gnaw which is basically an embiggened TR Gnaw.  I might grab extras if/when SS Gnaw turns up in stores.

Hey, if you do go the replace route, shoot me a PM.  I might be willing to buy the iGear ones off of you.

Ha, funny you mention the t-shirts, as I was contemplating buying one, but I couldn't find the new ones they were touting in the vid this morning, so I just got Gnaw and Wreck-gar. But yeah, $45 is a bit too steep. That's like convention pricing, where you're paying experience tax for everything. If they were like $25, that'd be more reasonable-still high, but reasonable.

15 minutes ago, mikeszekely said:

It's funny, when we're talking expensive MP figures I want one definitive design, because I don't have the shelf space or cash for repaints.  But mainline stuff?  Sure, I'll take both a cartoon-colored and a toy-colored version.  Gimme all the repaints.  10 Siege Seekers!

I started out doing the "catch 'em all" thing with the mainline, but I cannot do it anymore. With the Siege seeker mould, I started out buying the repaints but kept Hotlink and let go of the rest. For Earthrise, I kept the three main seekers but let go of the coneheads (except for one selects release).

33 minutes ago, Mechapilot77 said:

now the question i find myself asking is do i really want to duplicate my collection in every scale and continually upgrade and replace those of same scale?

This is the same question that I'm asking myself. I don't really want to duplicate my entire collection, so I try to focus my habit on one core scale (MP, for instance). If there are good designs in other scales, then I don't mind getting duplicates of favorite characters in those scales or maybe one or two small teams. The Dinobots aren't really a small team, though. They're big bulky bots at any scale, so it gets tricky since I already have complete FansToys and Planet-X sets.

Good thing I let go of my Gigasaurs...:ph34r:

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

i did the same, one gnaw for now.  if he is good i'll worry about tracking down more and replacing the igears....if i do i'll let you know.  i never actually go the titans returns or cyberverse ones so these will be first new ones in a while for me.

1 hour ago, technoblue said:

I started out doing the "catch 'em all" thing with the mainline, but I cannot do it anymore. With the Siege seeker mould, I started out buying the repaints but kept Hotlink and let go of the rest. For Earthrise, I kept the three main seekers but let go of the coneheads (except for one selects release).

This is the same question that I'm asking myself. I don't really want to duplicate my entire collection, so I try to focus my habit on one core scale (MP, for instance). If there are good designs in other scales, then I don't mind getting duplicates of favorite characters in those scales or maybe one or two small teams. The Dinobots aren't really a small team, though. They're big bulky bots at any scale, so it gets tricky since I already have complete FansToys and Planet-X sets.

Good thing I let go of my Gigasaurs...:ph34r:

similarly to you i do focus on one scale (MP). i've been careful not to get into 3P legends too much (only for figures whic i like the legends better than the mp equivalent for some reason...for instance blaster and magnus i prefer the legends depictions to the MP ones i have or had in the case of blaster)...but when the mainline hasbro starts releasing things i like i came out and supported them big time during the WFC trilogy (not beast things anyway) and SS86 lines...unwittingly continuing or rebuidling a "CHUG" scale collection that i had stopped collecting years ago!  oh well...i'm gonna be picky from here on out.  lol. 

1 hour ago, technoblue said:

This is the same question that I'm asking myself. I don't really want to duplicate my entire collection, so I try to focus my habit on one core scale (MP, for instance)

See, I got into MP when 3Ps started getting really into that scene, and I felt like I'd never have the whole G1 cast in a CHUG scale. Now, though, while they're not always the best, Hasbro is getting really close to doing the entire TV cast, if you're willing to go back to Prime Wars for some characters there's really not a lot of G1 left. I think I'm closer to quitting MP than mainline now, which is a 180 from maybe 4 years ago.

I should concentrate my collection, or pare it down, but my attachment is such that I'd have a very difficult time deciding what goes and what stays. There'd be far more of the latter than the former. My pack-rat tendencies and sentimentality towards my toys make getting rid of anything nigh unthinkable.

I've always been choosy about what toys I pick up, though, and I rarely feel like I need to get every repaint; generally, one copy of a mold is good enough, unless it's first season- then I want the full roster. Even with that I'm still choosy, though. My MP first season still has holes, but oddly, I don't feel as strong a need to complete it, so I continue to pick and choose figs that I like to slowly fill it out. CHUG is by far my largest TF collection, and at this point, my focal point, so I'm more apt to pick up figs as we go along. I'm hoping that the next line will offer the remaining first season minibots in deluxe scale to go along with WFC Cliffy, Bee, and Huffer. Oh yeah, and the rumored deluxe Insecticons. And, hopefully, a voyager scaled set of Constructicons that prove to be vast improvements on the lackluster (I'm being kind) CW versions. I think that would do nicely to round out the first season with all modern takes in proper scale. Since there are no third party CHUG scale takers, for better or worse, in Hasbro I trust.

Edited by M'Kyuun

21 hours ago, Mechapilot77 said:

do i really want to duplicate my collection in every scale and continually upgrade and replace those of same scale?

Are you suggesting there's another option? :o

no question.jpg

I'm not sure I understand the question. :huh:

Edited by tekering

1 hour ago, tekering said:

no question.jpg

:D

Quite the collection. That BIG prime is like, Wow.:o

On 5/21/2021 at 7:18 PM, Mechapilot77 said:

I have a core cast of characters that I collect in every scale (Skywarp, Cyclonus, Galvatron, Shockwave).

My household decided to run out of everything at once, so I made a Target run after dropping my kid off at school.  On a whim I picked up Studio Series 74 Bumblebee (RotF).

IMG_20210524_143332.thumb.jpg.d1c7589da02a8f38f8c0b04714288120.jpg

If you haven't see him on the shelf, it's because he's not in regular Studio Series packaging.  Despite his box saying Studio Series, having the number 74, and having a backdrop of that village where Bee fought Rampage, this Bee has been mashed into the Target-exclusive Buzzworthy Bumblebee line.

Anyway, he's a minor retool of the previous Transformers 2007 Camaro concept Bumblebee (so I guess we're down to Dark of the Moon, two for Age of Extinction, and one for the Last Knight, eh?).  He's a darker yellow, he's missing the yellow trim on his feet, and his gray plastic parts are a much lighter gray, with silver paint on some of them (including some parts that were black on '07 Bee).  Otherwise, most of the differences are in alt mode, and I'll cover them there, but for now I'll say the biggest disappointment here is that he's got the exact same battle mask face.  How hard is it to get a modern Camaro Bee with the normal face, huh?  Maybe when they get around to DotM Bee...

IMG_20210524_143432.thumb.jpg.b8f6f75dc408428dcf9a1f5ca82bc7e9.jpg

RotF Bee has the exact same blaster as '07 Bee.  He does have on additional accessory, though- a little slug figure of Sam.  The pose reminded me of the slug that came with MPM Jazz.  But, this Sam doesn't have a cube, and he does have a jacket (which is RotF-accurate).

IMG_20210524_144758.thumb.jpg.7b0fff682deb1acddf79fa1d63b3fb54.jpg

Like I said, the differences between the figures are a bit more apparent in alt mode.  The newer figure has a hood scoop, slightly different black stripes, different rims, black trip on the front bumper, no paint on the Chevy logo in the grill, slightly different headlights, different fog lights, and very minor differences in the molded details on the front quarter panels.  Unlike recent Studio Series jets like Blitzwing and Shatter, Bumblebee actually has a license from GM, which is likely why most of the mold changes from the '07 toy are to make the alt mode more accurate, and it gives you an idea of what you might expect if they do DotM Bee (different stripes again, different fog lights, the Chevy badge gets painted again, a little more yellow on the bumper, darker rims, and a rear wing).

Honestly, this mold was one of the better Bumblebees, I think.  Unless you're a car guy, a stickler for details, or a completionist I don't know that RotF Bee is entirely necessary if you already have the '07 one, but it's not a bad release and worth picking up if you missed '07 Bee.

On 5/22/2021 at 10:50 AM, tekering said:

no question.jpg

lol of course you wouldn't!  :-P  i only have 4 of those primes.  i think i spy wfc siege, pp-01, mp-10, and mpp-10.  i kinda regret not getting the lewin.

Clever engineering and a very faithful likeness to his Movie look. All that's missing is Eric Idle.

Maybe it's selective blindness, but I never really noticed the nipple guns before. They're hard to ignore on this guy, and Kremzeek draws attention to them several times. Not sure what Floro Dery was thinking, or how those things got past censors, but here we are.^_^

Realized this hadn't been posted yet.  Kind of a mixed bag, this one. Nearly the entire car shell is made of translucent plastic, which often doesn't bode well for long term durability. Seems an odd choice when opaque plastic with painted windows would have offered more durability with an acceptable concession. Disappointingly, there's no paint on his wings, which is one of those eye-catching characteristics of Tracks- When good enough is too good...Hasbro.  He also has a faux chest; not sure why they couldn't make the actual car roof work when they've done it for both the MP and the previous Reveal the Shield toys.:unknw: Anyway, as a result of having both the car roof and aft fender section on his back, the backpack is notable.  I wish they could have folded his cannons away like they do on the MP, but at least they managed to get the tail stabilizers to fold. He does have his flying car mode, which is kinda obligatory. I always wished his front tires would fold in at an angle to complete the look, as their staying straight always looked funny to me, but that's how the original toy was, and how he was subsequently drawn in the toon, so we're minus a feature that, IMHO, would have looked cool and apropos. The shin transforming mechanism is poor and barely pegs in, which will likely result in severe floppiness over time. The waist flap is a single piece, which I abhor, as it ruins the look of the figure if just one leg is posed at an extreme angle. The forearms are hollow.  The feet peg onto ball joints jutting from the inside fender, and the bit of open space over the feet make the legs look like they're floating over the feet rather than having a firm attachment.

The good: the car mode looks great, the flying car mode is effective, the face sculpt and paint looks great (on Kremzeek's copy, anyway), and in bot mode it captures the look of Tracks very well. It's a shame that the build quality seems to be lacking, as they've otherwise done a really good job of capturing the essential elements of G1 Tracks. Guess time will tell how well the actual fig holds up.

Edited by M'Kyuun

1 hour ago, M'Kyuun said:

Disappointingly, there's no paint on his wings, which is one of those eye-catching characteristics of Tracks- When good enough is too good...Hasbro.

Disappointing, yes.  But as long as the lines are molded into the wings it shouldn't be too hard to paint myself.

Eh, I'm mostly trying to avoid these super early pre-release reviews (where do these guys get their copies?).  When I review these figures myself I'm trying to keep other reviewer's opinions from even subconsciously coloring mine.

2 hours ago, mikeszekely said:

Disappointing, yes.  But as long as the lines are molded into the wings it shouldn't be too hard to paint myself.

Eh, I'm mostly trying to avoid these super early pre-release reviews (where do these guys get their copies?).  When I review these figures myself I'm trying to keep other reviewer's opinions from even subconsciously coloring mine.

Understandable, and commendable. For figs that I'm especially anticipating, I do the same, as I want the entire experience to be a surprise and uncolored by someone else's, even my own early, opinions. It's one thing to judge something from images on a screen, but sometimes the feel of the thing in your hands, or experiencing the transformation for the first time, makes a huge difference, good or bad, in one's final opinion.

Where do these guys get their early copies, indeed? I'm inclined to think there's a fair bit of smuggling going on from the factories, and lots of palms greased to look the other way.  I imagine it's a fairly common practice in a lot of places where wages are low, hours are long,  the work tedious, and scruples are few in the face of a few extra bucks.

Tracks has the lines in his wings, but it's not a natter of my being able to paint them as much as I shouldn't have to. The Firebird flame on the hood is only painted red, and looks off without the yellow outline. That would be a tad bit tougher to hand paint, especially with my lack of talent. I'm sure Toyhax will have a sticker sheet for this guy, but honestly, I'm not interested in spending any more on it. I'll probably paint the wings, but the rest will stay as-is. 

I've always presumed that the early copies are much like the early copies of books that certain readers get months ahead of release. They're there to help push the demand hopefully, and be the final QC before everything starts to ship, meaning the company is fully aware and implicit in the action of it,.  Obviously, this doesn't always work as both figures and books end up in mass release with issues.  

On that note, BBTS sent me a notification that my copy of Galvatron is in the Loot pile, anyone else?

33 minutes ago, Wolf-1 said:

On that note, BBTS sent me a notification that my copy of Galvatron is in the Loot pile, anyone else?

The Kingdom one? BBTS did get Scorponok early last year, so it's possible. But the product page still says pre-order with a September release (my pre-order is with Pulse).

1 hour ago, mikeszekely said:

The Kingdom one? BBTS did get Scorponok early last year, so it's possible. But the product page still says pre-order with a September release (my pre-order is with Pulse).

Kingdom, I've checked twice because I didn't believe it.  I have several figures for May release that I've been waiting on but nothing; even added Cyclonus and Scourge, who was just added individually, instead of the wave pack.  Of course I just swept the pile clean last week after my son's PG RX78-2 hit, so it will be awhile yet before I actually have Galvatron in hand.

3 hours ago, ErikElvis said:

Looks like unicron is fetching $1200+ bucks on eBay. BBTS has it up for $1400

Yowza. I don't know how they're doing it.

IMO Unicron was barely worth what Hasbro was asking for it during the crowdfund campaign and that was still too much for me. 

11 minutes ago, technoblue said:

Yowza. I don't know how they're doing it.

IMO Unicron was barely worth what Hasbro was asking for it during the crowdfund campaign and that was still too much for me. 

I bought a copy, but I agree. It's way overpriced for what it offers, and doesn't. I got it b/c it's something unique within the official line, and G1 Unicron toys have been few and far between. It's value is more in in its uniqueness than in the physical toy itself, and because of the special nature of its having come about, it's only ever going to appreciate in value, so long as there are G1 fans, or fans of unique limited-run toys.