The Transformers Thread (licensed) Next

Went to another local Toys R Us earlier this evening to see if they had any MP Grimlock, and of course none were there to be found.

But while there I saw the current Leader Class Grimlock and Optimus Prime from AoE - and I can honestly say I was tempted to buy both as a set. The Leader Grimlock actually looked pretty good, I loved the colors, the however Prime looked like something was off, or cheap looking (especially compared to Grimlock) about him so I decided to pass on both.

If there is a better repaint of this Leader Class Prime then I might buy, shell-former or not.

-b.

I'm sure they will get another shipment or two, like with soundwave.

Looks like the new going rate for MP-08x is $340

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201095235764

Saw a sealed one go for $1,000 about 6 months ago, and one went for $750 before the re-issue announcement.

Edited by Gakken85

Went to another local Toys R Us earlier this evening to see if they had any MP Grimlock, and of course none were there to be found.

But while there I saw the current Leader Class Grimlock and Optimus Prime from AoE - and I can honestly say I was tempted to buy both as a set. The Leader Grimlock actually looked pretty good, I loved the colors, the however Prime looked like something was off, or cheap looking (especially compared to Grimlock) about him so I decided to pass on both.

If there is a better repaint of this Leader Class Prime then I might buy, shell-former or not.

-b.

As bad as the current Leader Prime is, he looks like a step up from the First Edition release a few months ago.

As for Grimlock, he does look pretty cool in the box, but is alt mode looks kind of derpy. I think if I buy a movie Grimlock (big if!), I'll go with the Voyager one.

Speaking of Voyagers, did you happen to see Evasion Mode Optimus? I dig him. His bot mode is a good representation of Prime from the first three movies, if off-colored, and he transforms basically into G1 Prime's alt mode. In fact, it's only slightly bigger than the G1 toy.

post-187-0-06872800-1401419970.jpg

Still waiting on Takara-Tomy MP-11 Thundercracker and Skywarp and especially Megatron v.2. The Decepticons need their leader.

Yup yup yup. I want all 3, but the first of those especially. Give me a TOY-color Thundercracker. That means orange canopy (not yellow), silver paint (not grey plastic nor gunmetal paint), and BLACK hands/feet---not charcoal grey.

And of course, and most importantly, a rich deep metallic blue overall. Not "classics" in-between blue.

Thundercracker has never looked better than his G1 toy colors, yet that's the only scheme variation that hasn't ever been seen since like 1987. They keep doing toy-toon hybrids, which isn't as good. If Bluestreak can consistently get every subtle variation done, Thundercracker can too.

Yep, I saw the Voyager Evasion Optimus and a Voyager Grimlock. I had the Optimus in my hand but I didn't like the G1 look - something just looked off (IMHO), the Grimlock didn't get a second look as I was too busy eyeballing his Leader Class counterpart.

This particular store was well stocked with AoE merchandise and a few Generations figures as well.

-b.

As bad as the current Leader Prime is, he looks like a step up from the First Edition release a few months ago.

As for Grimlock, he does look pretty cool in the box, but is alt mode looks kind of derpy. I think if I buy a movie Grimlock (big if!), I'll go with the Voyager one.

Speaking of Voyagers, did you happen to see Evasion Mode Optimus? I dig him. His bot mode is a good representation of Prime from the first three movies, if off-colored, and he transforms basically into G1 Prime's alt mode. In fact, it's only slightly bigger than the G1 toy.

attachicon.gifIMG_20140529_230915.jpg

I have to give credit, Evasion mode Prime is one of the best movie figures to date. It's got stuff joints, a great alt mode, and a pretty decently articulated Robot mode. I simply love the extending ball jointed neck. Gives for some sweet poses.

But that's the only AOE figure I plan on buying.

Yep, I saw the Voyager Evasion Optimus and a Voyager Grimlock. I had the Optimus in my hand but I didn't like the G1 look - something just looked off (IMHO), the Grimlock didn't get a second look as I was too busy eyeballing his Leader Class counterpart.

This particular store was well stocked with AoE merchandise and a few Generations figures as well.

-b.

Yeah, evasion mode Optimus doesn't look quite right in bot mode, but the thing is the way he transforms makes me think he can retain the G1 look in alt mode while being repainted to look more like movie Prime in bot mode.

I have to give credit, Evasion mode Prime is one of the best movie figures to date. It's got stuff joints, a great alt mode, and a pretty decently articulated Robot mode. I simply love the extending ball jointed neck. Gives for some sweet poses.

But that's the only AOE figure I plan on buying.

This, pretty much. I mean, as cool as transforming dinosaurs are, the bot modes on the most of the Dinobots just look like crap to me. Grimlock is the only other one I'm even remotely considering, and definitely not the derpy dino Leader one. Edited by mikeszekely

attachicon.gifIMG_20140529_230915.jpg

Evasion Optimus is a pretty great toy. What I think is weird is how he seems so much above any beyond anything else in the line, like he was made years ago. My only niggle is the misaligned windows on the front in alt mode. I can't figure out whats causing it, the panels are obviously supposed to line up.

About Acidstorm over Sunstorm, I agree. The green and black looks sharp, red and yellow not so much. Since I have the Kawamori redesign of MP Starscream in both his greenish-grey and Walmart red and white schemes, and Thundercracker, iirc, in the same mold, I passed on all the new MP seekers in their original, non-hip armor molds, despite the fact that I greatly favor the original design over Kawamori's. I'm holding out for the rest of the original '84 Autobots, and hoping for a new, improved Megatron. And since they're making Ultra Magnus, I hope they'll give us a MP Cyclonus at some point. The Classics version is nice, but just doesn't capture the sleekness of his alt mode very well. I also hope they'll make the rest of the cassettes, Autobot and Decepticon. There was always something intrinsically cool and appealing about those. Almost makes me wish we still used cassette recorders...no, not really. The transforming thumb drives that came out a couple years ago were a step in the right direction for modern toys, though.

Guest davidwhangchoi

BTW - Takara prime Re-issue PO:

http://www.cybergeeksalliance.com/takara-tomy-masterpiece-mp-10-optimus-prime-convoy-reissue

April 2015.

Not sure why they have it up so early haha

umm no , they have all the ones on the hoax listed. if they're going by the hoax info. i'm going to wait till mp-10 is confirmed before pre-ordering.

http://www.cybergeeksalliance.com/

Edited by davidwhangchoi

So I got a Grimlock for $79.99, told my buddy about it and he said he got his for $59.99. He sent me a pic of the price tag and so I took the pic and receipt back to TRU and got refunded my $20. Hope this helps someone else out.

Good idea.

I went by my local TRU on my lunch hour because I had to go to Radioshack.

I asked the lady who was working and she said, "some guy came in this morning and bought all three."

This guy on TFW2005 posted that he picked one up and there were 2 left at like 11:00Am

I was like... "that's not what I heard!"

And he got super offended haha.

Funny stuff. Just admit you bought 3! haha

They were 79.99 at my store BTW.

Edited by Gakken85

Went to two Toys R Us stores today and saw no MP Grimlock but one store had two MP Year of the Horse Optimus Primes on the shelf. Was sorely tempted to pick up another one but, "meh".

Plenty of AoE and Generations stuff on the shelves though.

-b.

Evasion Optimus is a pretty great toy. What I think is weird is how he seems so much above any beyond anything else in the line, like he was made years ago. My only niggle is the misaligned windows on the front in alt mode. I can't figure out whats causing it, the panels are obviously supposed to line up.

I had the same issue. It's a factory assembly issue. I started shaving some of the grey plastic that I THOUGHT might have been a tad too thick but it didn't seem to fix anything. So I started looking at completely disassembling the arm. Since one side lined up perfectly I compared it to the other side. The bloody grey shoulder joint was the problem. You'd think it was centered like 0- but it's actually offset like this 0_ So after rotating the shoulder joint 180 degrees and popping the arm back on all the panels line up in cab mode. It's a great toy...now.

I popped the arms off mine and I see what you are talking about with the grey rotating joints needing to be facing the right way. However, mine were both already in the higher position. I tried rotating them around to the lower position and transforming and that's when I realized we're talking about two different issues. When they are in the lower position there are big gaps on the window/arm parts in the front of alt mode, which is obviously not how its supposed to be - and is an issue that can be corrected as you stated.

The issue of misalignment that I'm talking about is that the window parts on the middle rotating panel don't line up with the rest of the windows (the parts on the arms).

post-430-0-77697700-1401510801_thumb.jpg

I've got no idea as mines pretty much aligned. Since the center piece is about the last piece to move I'd suggest to check for tabs not connected and squeeze the windows into place. If that doesn't work time to swap it for a new one at the store.

Guest davidwhangchoi

Good idea.

I went by my local TRU on my lunch hour because I had to go to Radioshack.

I asked the lady who was working and she said, "some guy came in this morning and bought all three."

This guy on TFW2005 posted that he picked one up and there were 2 left at like 11:00Am

I was like... "that's not what I heard!"

And he got super offended haha.

Funny stuff. Just admit you bought 3! haha

you know imo, it'll be good not to add that last stuff of what they say and drag that drama over here. just my two cents...

Guest davidwhangchoi

yeah, it's over and done with. everyone said their piece. there's no need to continue bringing up stuff that goes on over there.

anyways, i just stopped by my TRU. no grimlocks... just wanted to take a morning ride cause the weather is nice.

last night i was with a group of people in Long Island. i asked if i could stop by TRU they thought i was crazy... they had just one case (x2 pieces) in the morning which was sold.

i guess i'm losing interest... the hunt is not as fun as macross stuff.