I think it's time for V2 1/60 YF-21 and V2 1/60 VF-22S

Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

Just received a YF-21 from Mandarake Nakano. Was a bit apprehensive as it was marked "used, box damaged" but much to my surprise although the box is a little worn on the edges the valk seems brand new - the plastic bands around the wings and fins are there and seems untouched. No marks on the cello tapes holding the plastic shells together either.

Now I just need to find another FP pack...

I think with just a little internal mods she'll be perfect, don't really need a substantial redesign like the -19.

Hmm, I have the YF-21 and although it is a pain to transform and I always feel like I'm gonna break it, since the joints and locking mechanisms are so tight. I in no way see a reason to release a v2.0 of the model. Its fine as is and is really meant as a display piece to be posed and transformed now and then. The proportions compared to the anime are just right IMO. I don't see how they can do better by making the legs thinner. Might make the toy too flimsy to pose no thanks.

The only improvement I think yamato could make it making the transformation process a bit less tedious. But if that is at the expense of transforming anime accurate than no way.

I am fairly fond of the design. Gamlin VF-22 is still my #1 favorite valkyrie, in fact, so doubt I would rebuy. I don't particularly use the limb removal function, so wouldn't miss it.

If I was going to consider it I would want some better ducts for the intakes ((if it can be done on the 1/72 Hobbymaster F-22, it should be doable on a 1/60 YF-21/VF-22) with built in closing and opening covers, maybe with turbine detail visible with a flashlight or something, but except for the one scene in Dynamite 7, I never recall seeing the turbines in anime, anyway.

There is a shot of the YF-19's engine starting in Mac+, and one showing the VF-0's engine in Zero, but yeah, you rarely see anything inside the intakes, which is how things should be.

As for turbines though.. those are the exhausts. ^_^ The word you're looking for is compressor. ;)

Having the compressors visible right in the front of the intakes does bug me some, but then it gets me thinking. Given the level of technology present in the Macross universe, it would not surprise me at all if they developed first stage compressor designs that would negate the need for longer inlets, and variable intakes. I mean, we're already talking about nuclear turbines that actually don't need intakes at all to function.

Exactly. Never get the folks who hate its battroid mode either. Think the legs are alright.

Heh. No offence, man, but really that is the worst pose/angle with which to make your point. It looks all too effeminate there.

I just keep my VF-22 and YF-21 permanently in fighter mode, (a) because it's my favorite mode, (b), it's a beautiful looking plane, ©, cus transformation is a pain in the ass (d), cus battroid mode does look kinda sucky.

Graham

Can say there are no plans from Yamato for a renewal version of the YF-21/VF-22 at the moment.

Graham

Before the YF-21/VF-22 is remotely considered for upgrades, I think Yamato should pursue other mecha from the Macross arsenal.

Fill in the gaps, Yamato.

There is still lots to be done. ^_^

Like what? :unsure:

Personally I'm waiting for Shattered Glass -19Kai, where a funkily tattooed Basara and his valk(also funkily tattooed) decimates planets with hardcore rock music about death and shitz.

Edited by raptormesh

Wait.. so... are you saying you want a Mirror Universe version of Macross?

Actually, that might be an awesome idea.

I can see it now.. the human race has nearly destroyed the earth with pollution and stupidity, so the Zentraedi are dispatched by the Protoculture to put an end to it and restore Earth to what it used to be, so they can try again with another race. But when they get here, they are turned back by the absolutely horrible death metal music being broadcast over the entire planet, in what can only be a horribly demented religious ritual of destruction.

That could be funny. So, it'd be Giant Space Hippies trying to restore a planet that has been overrun by a destructive little race of tiny beings intent on destroying everything!

Anywho, yes. New YF-19, HASHIIN! I've already begun chopping up my old one in an attempt to modify it, and I refuse to buy a new one except for potential spare parts, so let's get on with it! My current one just looks so sad next to my Fire Valk. :(

• 2 weeks later...

i got my 22 MAX, and this may be my favourite variant of the fighter! I love the pale blue colour, Mine is nice n tight... hell even the rear wheels are tighter. I still wish the 22 had storage for the rifles, but that's not the toys fault :)

Soon my Mac7 collection will be complete! 11C on the way, Milia I haven't decided on and then its just a matter of if i want to make a Diamond Force and Emerald Force.