Yamato 1/60 VF-19S/F/P - All Variants

charger69

That cel is inconsistent with the screen cap of the fighter mode which shows the lasers being red like the stripes.

You can't please all the people all of the time. But if you listen close you might hear an angel's voice.

Whoaa Whoaa Whoaa, Whoaa Whoaa Whoaa, Whoaa Whoaa Whooooaaaa!

I just hope they decide to go with the close-up details in the cel, rather than the crazy nonsense shown in those other pics. Cuz.. you know.. going by the higher detail resources would make sense.

This is one of those amusing cases where canon disagrees with itself. In cases like this, you just have to have the sense to go by the version of canon that isn't so freaking ugly.

In this case I kinda don't care one way or the other about canon as long as it looks good. :p

Actually.. on second thought.. You know what? The ugly red will be easy to fix/strip/whatever. But that yellow plastic will be a pain to fix.. unless I decide to make use of it. I dunno about anyone else.. but that nice green visor has me seeing bones. :D

Bright yellow shoulder paint? Salmon-Orange stripes and head lasers? Really? ;)

VF-19P.JPG

Wow. I was actually thinking of painting the head lasers grey (among other things) when I got mine. Glad there is a cel that sorta backs me up on that decision. I just hope the center laser can be taken out of the head without breaking it.

Guys remember the first shots of the VF-1J had a really washed out looking red too but that turned out fine. I wouldn't be too worried just yet

It's a pretty sculpt. I'll give it that.

Definitely. Got a bit of an Aquarion thing going on with the shoulders.

Those ankles look brown, not yellow.

The ankles and the shoulders are different colours though

I just hope they decide to go with the close-up details in the cel, rather than the crazy nonsense shown in those other pics. Cuz.. you know.. going by the higher detail resources would make sense.

This is one of those amusing cases where canon disagrees with itself. In cases like this, you just have to have the sense to go by the version of canon that isn't so freaking ugly.

In this case I kinda don't care one way or the other about canon as long as it looks good. :p

This a million times. Since there are discrepancies in the "canon" animation (I use that term loosely because it's stupid most of the time), just make it look good, "canon" be damned...and by "look good" I mean "look good to the only person that matters...ME." B))

Edited by xrentonx

Does anyone have the VF-19 Master File? Is the Zola color scheme shown?

Yes....ankles are a dijon mustard yellow.....stripes are red......body seems white, not off white....and sadly, head lasers are shown as red........but are these books canon?

I think the recent release of the VF-1A Cavaliers follows the scheme shown in the VF-1 Masterfiles book...but the animation scheme is slightly different....so who knows...... ;)

Edited by jvmacross

Damn! Those head lasers would look so much cooler in gray like that animation cell above. That settles it, I gotta customize mine when I get around to buying this thing.

Battroid isn't bad either. :) It could potentially use a bit more black striping on the shoulders I think, but this is a very minimalist approach, not painting over any large chunks of the aircraft to avoid the possibility of scratching the paint.

post-907-0-08926100-1344488721_thumb.jpg

I do wish they'd get a consistent color of yellow on it at least though. I'm guessing it's from the oddball painting process on the prototype, since it wouldn't make sense to cast those parts in separate colors for the actual release.

Edited by Chronocidal

Battroid isn't bad either. :) It could potentially use a bit more black striping on the shoulders I think, but this is a very minimalist approach, not painting over any large chunks of the aircraft to avoid the possibility of scratching the paint.

post-907-0-08926100-1344488721_thumb.jpg

I do wish they'd get a consistent color of yellow on it at least though. I'm guessing it's from the oddball painting process on the prototype, since it wouldn't make sense to cast those parts in separate colors for the actual release.

Now that's what I'm talkin' about! So much nicer than garish Basara schemes ^_^

VF-19P-1.png

well for me i like the in line version just like the anime screenshot

Look closer. The stripe isn't "aligned"---it's MISSING a stripe. Start at the wings and follow the stripe forward. Where does it end? Right behind the gun port. The stripe that starts at the wing doesn't get all the way to the canard. And that's how the toy is. But the toy and most other sources ADD another stripe NEXT TO that gun port, inboard of it and going forward to the canard.

The toy and the chronicle and the Macross Mecha Manual all add a separate stripe, forward and inboard of the one in the animation, to continue the striping all the way forward to the canard.

There's not a single source that shows one continuous stripe going from wing to canards. There's either 2 separate stripes that split at the gun port, or one stripe that doesn't go all the way forward.

::edit:: Seems Chronocidal already mentioned this.

Look closer. The stripe isn't "aligned"---it's MISSING a stripe. Start at the wings and follow the stripe forward. Where does it end? Right behind the gun port. The stripe that starts at the wing doesn't get all the way to the canard. And that's how the toy is. But the toy and most other sources ADD another stripe NEXT TO that gun port, inboard of it and going forward to the canard.

The toy and the chronicle and the Macross Mecha Manual all add a separate stripe, forward and inboard of the one in the animation, to continue the striping all the way forward to the canard.

There's not a single source that shows one continuous stripe going from wing to canards. There's either 2 separate stripes that split at the gun port, or one stripe that doesn't go all the way forward.

::edit:: Seems Chronocidal already mentioned this.

It's probably worth noting that in all the the screen shots that show it without the stripe continuing past the wing root, the lines that denote where the stripe should be are still there.

And another thing: Head laser colors. The Chronicle and M3 line arts depict them as red, as does the toy and fighter mode shots in the OVA, but the super detailed close up shots of the battroid mode color them grey. Thoughts?

And another thing: Head laser colors. The Chronicle and M3 line arts depict them as red, as does the toy and fighter mode shots in the OVA, but the super detailed close up shots of the battroid mode color them grey. Thoughts?

Probably because in fighter mode the head lasers look good in red but in Battroid mode they look better in grey.

Honestly, I'd probably just chalk it up to sloppyness. Given how off-model every picture of the fighter mode seems to be, I don't think they were paying much attention to past reference material when they drew it.

I'd almost think they drew the fighter mode partly based on the 1/65 Bandai toy of the Fire Valk. They obviously corrected the nose length, but the chunky shapes don't look anything like the Fire Valk's art did. The blocky wing glove shape especially looks bizarre, as does that weird scoopy mess of a shape they drew for the intake.

Good point about the wing glove stripe continuing though. Even though they didn't draw the second half of the stripe, it looks like the outline for it is there, just not filled in.

I'd almost think they drew the fighter mode partly based on the 1/65 Bandai toy of the Fire Valk. They obviously corrected the nose length, but the chunky shapes don't look anything like the Fire Valk's art did. The blocky wing glove shape especially looks bizarre, as does that weird scoopy mess of a shape they drew for the intake.

Good point about the wing glove stripe continuing though. Even though they didn't draw the second half of the stripe, it looks like the outline for it is there, just not filled in.

I thought that too----that the shape looks off, and more like the old Bandai toy. It's just not as long/sleek as it should be.

Honestly, I'd probably just chalk it up to sloppyness. Given how off-model every picture of the fighter mode seems to be, I don't think they were paying much attention to past reference material when they drew it.

i'd hate to see you watch the works of Masami Obari if this is your attitude on 2d animation.