What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

2 hours ago, Tking22 said:

Finally caught the hour long Attack on Titan final season's first episode, and damn, that was intense. I've enjoyed the ride from the beginning, AOT will certainly go down as one of my favorite anime ever, I've read the manga so I know the ending that's coming, they didn't stick the landing but I enjoyed it all the way through. That newest episode is gorgeous, and brutal, really good beginning of the end. 

I saw that episode the other week on Hulu.  I wasn’t sure on the release schedule of these episodes and also wondered if the whole season would be these longer episodes.

BOFURI has been cute, wholesome fun, but as the second season is coming to a close I may be getting a little bored with it.

I've started watching Dragon Quest: The Adventure of Dai, which ended its run this past fall. I'm a big Dragon Quest fan dating back to the first game, so I'm already invested in the aesthetic and general vibe. 100 episodes is a lot, though. I'm going to try to do three episodes a day all the way through.

• 1 month later...

This season has some unusual offerings.

I've started My Love Story with Yamada-kun at Lv999 and Mashle: Magic and Muscles and they're both delightfully unconventional.

My Love Story with Yamada-kun at Lv999 is a romcom about a young lady who gets into playing a MMO because her boyfriend wanted to play together, only for him to dump her for a girl he met online.  While attending an event for the game, she coerces a notorious pro-gamer into pretending to be her boyfriend to make her ex jealous and then ends up in an odd sort of relationship with him after getting sloppy drunk and ending up at his place.

Mashle is... well... the premise was so gloriously insane that I absolutely had to give it a whirl and it has NOT disappointed even a little.  It's a Harry Potter parody where the main character Mash Burnedead has no magic to speak of but is coerced into enrolling in a presigious magic school in order to become its top student.  Why?  To use the cash prize that comes with the title to bribe a crooked cop to let his adoptive father off the hook for illegally sheltering a muggle (him).  So Mash resolves to use the incredible physical strength he's gained from years of doing little but work out at his isolated house in the woods to fake it 'til he makes it.  This is basically Harry Potter if Harry were played by Saitama from One Punch Man and had absolutely zero patience for magical BS.

• 2 weeks later...

Well more then halfway through the spring Anime Season...   I am trying to keep up and I paired down my watchlist.

Tonikaku Kawaii Season 2,  I really enjoyed the first season,  and I am continuing to enjoy this season.   

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo!..  I am a few episodes behind on this series,   While I am not disliking this series,  I don't quite think it has the spark that the full cast brings to Konosuba.     I don't think Megumin is MC material hopefully this gets better.

Mahou Tsukai no Yome Season 2..    This is another series that I really enjoyed,  not sure where this season is going and at this point almost seems like they don't have any direction currently.

Yuusha ga Shinda!..   Probably my vote for AOTY...  lol   The only series this season which has consistently made me laugh out loud.   Its stupid funny with a good helping of Ecchi.

Megami no Cafe Terrace..  This one has a very Love Hina vibe to it.    I am enjoying this one along the same lines of Yuusha ga Shinda as an easy watch with a good dose of humor.

1 hour ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Well more then halfway through the spring Anime Season...   I am trying to keep up and I paired down my watchlist.

Tonikaku Kawaii Season 2,  I really enjoyed the first season,  and I am continuing to enjoy this season.   

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Bakuen wo!..  I am a few episodes behind on this series,   While I am not disliking this series,  I don't quite think it has the spark that the full cast brings to Konosuba.     I don't think Megumin is MC material hopefully this gets better.

Mahou Tsukai no Yome Season 2..    This is another series that I really enjoyed,  not sure where this season is going and at this point almost seems like they don't have any direction currently.

Yuusha ga Shinda!..   Probably my vote for AOTY...  lol   The only series this season which has consistently made me laugh out loud.   Its stupid funny with a good helping of Ecchi.

Megami no Cafe Terrace..  This one has a very Love Hina vibe to it.    I am enjoying this one along the same lines of Yuusha ga Shinda as an easy watch with a good dose of humor.

I am watching all these show too.  I am enjoying all of them.  But Tonikaku is my favorite.

I forgot to mention this one..

Otonari ni Ginga..   A few people referred this series to me and I figured I would give it a shot.     Only a few eps in and it appears to be an easy watch style anime.   If you liked Tonikaku you probably will enjoy this.

5 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

I forgot to mention this one..

Otonari ni Ginga..   A few people referred this series to me and I figured I would give it a shot.     Only a few eps in and it appears to be an easy watch style anime.   If you liked Tonikaku you probably will enjoy this.

I like Otonari ni Ginga.  I like the story it is a bit different.

• 2 months later...

I started watching Zom 100.  I have mixed feelings about it.  I really isn't a serious zombie show.  So far there is only one character that is serious about survival.  The others seem to "know" how to NOT attract zombies, but totally disregard that bit of knowledge.  :unknw:  I don't read source material, so I'm just going to assume that it is a gag type, dark humor show.

Aside from that, its all squeal shows for me this season thus far.

I'm slacking this season,  I've missed most of the group watches cause car stuff.  

With that said.. 

Zom 100: Zombie ni Naru made ni Shitai 100 no Koto  aka Zom100  is probably my favorite of this season.   The manga was enjoyable and I am curious how far the anime adaptation is going to go.    Its more lighthearted then your typical Zombie genre,  Its no HOTD,  or School Live..

Horimiya -piece-   Also really enjoying this one.    Its hard to keep up with all the skipping,  but again I like the fact that they are going back and covering some of the skipped content in this series.    I admit I am biased as I enjoyed the  Horimiya TV anime  along with the Manga source.

Lv1 Maou to One Room Yuusha.   Also enjoying this one,  the back and forth between the Demon Lord and the Hero is amusing.    Not much to it to be honest unless it pulls something out of left field but its entertaining enough to keep me coming back.

There are several others that the group is following.. Kenshin, Helck, Duke of Death S2...  and a few other that I can't remember.

I may give Kenshin a go after it runs,  if I care enough to do so.   I'm familiar with the manga, and the original anime.    And it doesn't have Heart X Sword as one of its ED songs.. so meh.

Helck.. is pretty vanilla only caught an ep or 2 early on seemed kinda silly. 

Duke of Death S2..  I really enjoyed the manga for this.. but the CG artwork killed the first season,  2nd season is the same so I safely pass.

Sitting down to do some catching up since I've managed to catch a summer cold...

Currently watching Jujutsu Kaisen 0... the more I watch of this series, the more I agree with the feeling that it's basically just an update of Bleach.  When all is said and done it feels a little pointless as prequels go.  This does kind of make the main series protagonist Yuji feel like a replacement goldfish for this kid if you don't count their opposite temperments.  Both of them are transfer students who enter as the highest possible rank because they're possessed by a stupidly powerful curse and go through basically the same arc of going from useless to unstoppable powerhouse in a distressingly short time while living under the threat of immediate "secret execution" because they're possessed.

TBH, the only thing it really has going for it IMO is the Junji Ito-esque "curses" they're fighting... though those get a lot less interesting the more self-aware they become when they start acting petty, spiteful, and entirely too human and start veering into sentai villain territory.

Rampaging through my backlog again, now that it's the weekend... getting caught up on the Tenchi Muyo! OVAs.

I've had OVAs 1-3 on home video since college, but Crunchyroll posted OVAs 4 and 5 a while back and I got genuinely curious.  That said, I have to say they've been a bit disappointing overall.  There's ten episodes between the two OVAs and the animation quality's pretty good across all ten.  The main problem is that, collectively, they're an excessively elaborate and downright disjointed prequel to Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari and Tenchi Muyo! Paradise War.  If you've only seen the animation, you have little-to-no chance of figuring out who many of the new characters are because they're from the light novel continuation of Tenchi Muyo! GXP and from the Paradise War spinoff of same.  The studio seems to be on a mission to have absolutely every significant OVA and GXP character show up at least once... to the extent that it feels like the only ones who missed out who aren't dead are Dr. Clay, Seiryo, and Kyo Komanchi.  Even Tarant Shank gets at least a mention.

Unfortunately, this is also problematic for a few reasons.  It's hard to keep all these characters straight, especially when so many of them are related, and the updated art style has a lot of them looking near-identical except for their haircuts... which would be OK if not for the fact that most of them have dark hair.

Tenchi's almost been demoted to a background character in his own series, with much of the ten episodes being devoted to his younger brother Kenshi who becomes the protagonist of Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari.  OVA 4 focuses heavily on Tenchi's father getting remarried and having another kid, and the reveal that his wife is an artificial person from Geminar (the alternate world in question).  The end of OVA 4 and almost all of OVA 5 revolves around the entire extended Masaki, Kamiki, and Yamada families ensuring that Kenchi ends up crazy prepared for his mission to Geminar.  The bits relevant ot the other characters are mainly in the background, like:

Spoiler

Explicit confirmation that The Tenchi Solution happened to two of the three protagonists so far.  Seina has been married to Kiriko, Amane, Neju, Ryoko, the four girls from Renza, and one or two others for a while now.  Tenchi himself gets formally engaged to all seven primary members of his "harem" in OVA 5 episode 5.

The only other real noteworthy points being that Jurai is now contemplating formally revealing that Yosho is still alive (at which point his kids become royalty whether they like it or not), and that Earth's governments are increasingly aware of the fact that Masaki Village in Japan is home to a significant extraterrestrial population and even go so far as to attack Tabletop Island because they're offended that Earth has been granted a seat in the Galactic Federation parliament but an alien chosen by the Masaki family will be its representative.

Otherwise, it's mostly just watching Kenshi grow up to become the goddamn Terminator he is in Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari training under the most insane members of the Masaki extended family, and trying to remember who all these characters even are.

8 minutes ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Rampaging through my backlog again, now that it's the weekend... getting caught up on the Tenchi Muyo! OVAs.

I've had OVAs 1-3 on home video since college, but Crunchyroll posted OVAs 4 and 5 a while back and I got genuinely curious.  That said, I have to say they've been a bit disappointing overall.  There's ten episodes between the two OVAs and the animation quality's pretty good across all ten.  The main problem is that, collectively, they're an excessively elaborate and downright disjointed prequel to Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari and Tenchi Muyo! Paradise War.  If you've only seen the animation, you have little-to-no chance of figuring out who many of the new characters are because they're from the light novel continuation of Tenchi Muyo! GXP and from the Paradise War spinoff of same.  The studio seems to be on a mission to have absolutely every significant OVA and GXP character show up at least once... to the extent that it feels like the only ones who missed out who aren't dead are Dr. Clay, Seiryo, and Kyo Komanchi.  Even Tarant Shank gets at least a mention.

Unfortunately, this is also problematic for a few reasons.  It's hard to keep all these characters straight, especially when so many of them are related, and the updated art style has a lot of them looking near-identical except for their haircuts... which would be OK if not for the fact that most of them have dark hair.

Tenchi's almost been demoted to a background character in his own series, with much of the ten episodes being devoted to his younger brother Kenshi who becomes the protagonist of Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari.  OVA 4 focuses heavily on Tenchi's father getting remarried and having another kid, and the reveal that his wife is an artificial person from Geminar (the alternate world in question).  The end of OVA 4 and almost all of OVA 5 revolves around the entire extended Masaki, Kamiki, and Yamada families ensuring that Kenchi ends up crazy prepared for his mission to Geminar.  The bits relevant ot the other characters are mainly in the background, like:

Hide contents

Explicit confirmation that The Tenchi Solution happened to two of the three protagonists so far.  Seina has been married to Kiriko, Amane, Neju, Ryoko, the four girls from Renza, and one or two others for a while now.  Tenchi himself gets formally engaged to all seven primary members of his "harem" in OVA 5 episode 5.

The only other real noteworthy points being that Jurai is now contemplating formally revealing that Yosho is still alive (at which point his kids become royalty whether they like it or not), and that Earth's governments are increasingly aware of the fact that Masaki Village in Japan is home to a significant extraterrestrial population and even go so far as to attack Tabletop Island because they're offended that Earth has been granted a seat in the Galactic Federation parliament but an alien chosen by the Masaki family will be its representative.

Otherwise, it's mostly just watching Kenshi grow up to become the goddamn Terminator he is in Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari training under the most insane members of the Masaki extended family, and trying to remember who all these characters even are.

I used to watch Tenchi a lot back in the 90’s to early 2000’s. Back then it felt like a very original idea, but the more additions meant lower quality and the harem newness wore off. I haven’t kept up at all and would probably be totally lost

13 minutes ago, Big s said:

I used to watch Tenchi a lot back in the 90’s to early 2000’s. Back then it felt like a very original idea, but the more additions meant lower quality and the harem newness wore off. I haven’t kept up at all and would probably be totally lost

I got into it back around the same time, because the gal I was dating was a big fan of it...

IMO, it was fine up through OVA 3 but the cracks were starting to show in Tenchi Muyo! GXP when Shinichi Watanbe took the series in a direction that started to involve a good deal more fanservice and crude humor.  There are now a couple of characters who are uncomfortably upfront about their willingness to pursue a relationship with an underaged partner, which was played for laughs back in the day but is increasingly creepy now.

Though the weirdest twist was that it pivoted to try to become a mecha series for a while.  GXP ended with Seina taking possession of a giant robot, and that figured prominently in the light novels that followed to the point that Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari is predominantly a mecha anime albeit with harem and ecchi themes.

Also, a random thing I heard I'm wondering if someone can confirm for me regarding Fire Force...

Spoiler

I've heard that the manga confirms that Fire Force and Soul Eater exist in the same universe/setting.

Incidentally, calling it right now at the start... My Tiny Senpai is just gender-flipped My Senpai is Annoying.

EDIT: And what psychopath decided English dub should be the default audio for this on Crunchyroll?  That's just evil.

EDIT 2: I was wrong.  It's just a flat, lifeless office romcom with none of the wit or charm of My Senpai is Annoying.  It's just two people repeatedly overreacting to things.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

So, I found an unexpected gem... Undead Girl Murder Farce has thus far proved to be a surprisingly compelling story.

It's set in the last few years of the 19th century, and initially makes you think it's going to be a sort of an action series about a monster hunter chasing the man who turned him into a half-oni and stole the body of an immortal woman who was decapitated by another manufactured half-oni.  Instead, it pulls a heck of a bait-and-switch and it's a detective series instead.  With the decapitated immortal's severed head solving crimes against other supernatural beings on their way to London to find the man who stole her body.  

It's surprisingly well-done character drama that roped me in so expertly I hardly saw it coming.

10 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

Wow, this weeks Mushoku Tensei was great again. Rudy is such a devoted character.

I agree. I hope the show is roping in enough money so that the studio is able to tell the whole story. I don’t want to revert to reading a light novel.

Well, Undead Girl Murder Farce has turned into a veritable who's who of late 19th century fictional Europeans...

Spoiler

Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes, Dr. John Watson, and Inspector Lestrade, Arsene Lupin and Inspector Ganimard from Maurice LeBlanc's Arsene Lupin series, Phileas Fogg and Jean Passepartout from Jules Verne's Around the World in 80 Days, Erik/the Phantom from Gaston Leroux's Phantom of the Opera...

Spoiler

... the monster from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (going by the name "Viktor", the vampiress Carmilla from Sheridan Le Fanu's novel by the same name, and Sherlock Holmes's nemesis Professor James Moriarty.

... and two historical domain characters who've gotten quite the glow up in popular fiction...

Spoiler

... the infamous British occultist Aleister Crowley and famous British serial killer Jack the Ripper.

Thanks to their enduring popularity and adaptations featuring their descendants some of them could reasonably be expected to be recognized... but there are a few there that I'm kind of expecting would sail over the heads of some viewers who didn't have to read a lot of late 19th and early 20th century literature in school.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

14 hours ago, Scyla said:

I agree. I hope the show is roping in enough money so that the studio is able to tell the whole story. I don’t want to revert to reading a light novel.

Me too. Even though I have read all the light novel.  It is nice to see things animated.

Edited by Hikaru Ichijo SL

4 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

... and two historical domain characters who've gotten quite the glow up in popular fiction...

Reveal hidden contents

When one of those characters gets a theme song from Ozzy, then of course he’d go from obscure occultist to super stardom 

On 8/19/2023 at 1:32 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Also, a random thing I heard I'm wondering if someone can confirm for me regarding Fire Force...

Hide contents

I've heard that the manga confirms that Fire Force and Soul Eater exist in the same universe/setting.

Spoiler

This appears to be the case, though I'm not familiar enough with the other series to be 100% sure.

19 hours ago, Sanity is Optional said:
Spoiler

This appears to be the case, though I'm not familiar enough with the other series to be 100% sure.

So I did some checking, and it appears that...

Spoiler

... it's true.  Fire Force is in fact a prequel to Soul Eater, with Shina using his connection to the Adolla to quite literally reshape the world instead of resetting it or destroying it during the final battle of the series.  He creates Shinigami-sama and changes the nature of the soul to eliminate the existential dread that created the Evangelist, setting up the world's new balance as Order/Sanity vs. Madness instead of Hope vs. Despair.  The epilogue apparently shows that, several hundred years later, Shinigami-sama made his son Death the Kid in Shinra's image.