What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Since it was an astonishingly slow day at the office, I got a few more episodes in...

Finished Demon Slayer - Kimetsu no Yaiba's "Entertainment District" arc.  It has all the same problems as the rest of the series so far, particularly its preoccupation with waiting until characters are dead or at least dying before bothering to give them any exposition whatsoever.  Unlike the rest of the series, that arc actually has a fair amount of fanservice in it... a factor I had hoped the series would continue to do without.  I guess someone at the publisher must've said something for the series to so suddenly switch from having basically zero fanservice to having three scantily-clad kunoichi and a barely-dressed demon woman all at once.  Hopefully they'll reverse course on that now that all four of those characters have exhausted their roles in the story because honestly I think it works better without the fanservice.

Also watched The Foolish Angel Dances with the Devil... and boy is it forgettable.  Honestly, I watched it barely an hour ago after I finished writing my last post and I seriously cannot remember 90% of what happened in it.  Heaven and Hell are at war, both sides have sent emissaries to Earth for some reason as high school students, and the new devil student is captured after accidentally outing himself to the angel in class.  It's so generic and unremarkable that I swear I can almost feel my memory of watching it fading.  It's not good and it's not offensively bad either.  It just sort of exists.  Its story is the animation equivalent of the color beige or maybe that middle gray that every cubicle wall on Earth seems to be.  I think I'll give it another episode or two to find its feet, but I can't see this one developing past the writing equivalent of white noise.

I still have The Unwanted Undead Adventurer and Tales of Wedding Rings on the docket yet.  

I decided to give Oshi no Ko a watch,  just got passed the first 1:20 episode.. was more like a movie.      This is dark,   I never would have guessed this is from the same person who did Kaguya Sama Love is war.       Apparently S2 coming in 2024..   

Definitely questioning the wisdom of whoever decided the time was ripe for another season of Blue Exorcist.  It took a while for me to figure out why the animation in Blue Exorcist: the Shimane Illuminati Saga looks so off.  Not only is it a different studio doing the animation production work (Studio VOLN instead of A-1 Pictures)... it's been full-on seven years since Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga.  I didn't realize it'd been so long, so that certainly explains the first episode's heavy use of As You Know.  The character designs were updated from the ones A-1 Pictures was using for the previous two seasons, and while some characters came through almost unchanged others (esp. the women) had their body proportions changed enough that some of them almost look like completely different people.  Not a great choice of story arc to come back in on either, considering Blue Exorcist's story was never particularly strong and they came back on what was basically a breather episode between major story arcs.

The Unwanted Undead Adventurer is another one of those fantasy titles that takes almost all of its pointers from isekai without actually being one.  The world inexplicably runs on JRPG/MMORPG logic, dungeons are everywhere for no clear reason, adventurer is an occupation run by a trade association and they're basically just monster-hunting mercs with an ill-defined rank system based on different metals, and the protagonist dies at the start and is reincarnated as a monster only to spend his time leveling up to reach the point of being able to do human stuff again.  It's basically the exact center of a Venn diagram of Overlord and That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime... just with the protagonist ending up reincarnated in the same world where he died instead of going to another.  It's not bad, but it does feel pretty bland and derivative.  I will say the staff did surprise me somewhat with the attention they put into correctly animating the movement of the anatomically correct skeleton.

The Unwanted Undead Adventurer's new episode is still pretty formulaic, but there's signs of it actually attempting to do something different and interesting near the end.

The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic is increasingly feeling like isekai made for the guys who were REALLY into that one eight foot tall woman from Resident Evil 8... 

Tales of Wedding Rings... well... it's not a great sign that this one was marked "Mature" by Crunchyroll.  That usually means "fanservice of the most shameless kind".  Seems like my worry was spot on, considering there were two such incidents before the runtime even hit five minutes (three counting the OP).  If the protagonist spends any more time staring at the palm of his right hand I'm going to start worrying he's gonna Shinji Ikari things up in here if you know what I mean.  OK, yeah... it's almost definitely one of those.  An excuse plot for an ecchi harem series.  The kind where, if you take a shot every time there's fanservice, you'll be in detox before the credits roll.

A Sign of Affection might be my stand-out drama for this season... even if it has the bloom turned up to almost comical levels and is so excessively sweet and cute that it tastes like diabetes.  It's still a fairly novel approach to a romance, between a deaf girl and a linguist, that actually takes the social, societal, and safety implications of deafness quite seriously and the potential obstacles the handicap poses in a relationship seriously.  It really feels like the author put a LOT of thought into this series and I'm actually quite impressed by the level of "show your work" they're operating on.

I'm also REALLY weirded out that, of all this season's offerings, the one that seems to have gone viral is Mashle.  The OP for season two seems to have become quite the meme in and of itself due to how catchy the song is.  The series itself ain't bad either, as a semi-affectionate jab at the Harry Potter series by way of One Punch Man... or possibly Black Clover.

Decided to try a few more of this season's offerings...

Honestly, for the first time in a while a season has me questioning the health of the whole industry. So much of what's on offer is so underdeveloped or so thinly written that it feels like they'll green light anything. Then again, I've heard that the working conditions over at MAPPA are so atrocious that there was talk of a walkout by the animators... so it might not be entirely in my head that things aren't going well.

'Tis Time for "Torture", Princess is one of those titles that has a really thin premise and one joke. Though at least that one joke isn't delivered the same way every time. The Princess has been taken prisoner by the armies of the demon lord and sells out her own nation as soon as she's offered comically small rewards like fresh toast, ramen, playing a video game, a hug, or evenjunk food from a vending machine. This gag is repeated two to three times per episode.

Vilainess Level 99 is yet another one of those otome game villainess stories where a girl has a run in with truck-kun as is normal for isekai and is reincarnated as the mean girl from whatever otome game they were last playing only to wrong context knowledge their way out of the actual story and avoid their bad end. This is like the third one of these in this season alone. It can be funny as hell or weirdly compelling when it's done right. Unfortunately this seems to be more minimum effort copycatting of successful titles, with even the main character lamp shading how threadbare and cliche the story is.

Hrm... when all's said and done, I just realized I'm following 18 different titles this season.

I've exhausted all the available episodes of everything except Metallic Rouge, so I've gone backwards a bit to revisit a series from years ago that I didn't get a chance to watch at the time.

2017's Saiyuki Reload BLAST is... well... more of what audiences already got in Gensoumaden SaiyukiSaiyuki Reload, and Saiyuki Reload GUNLOCK way back in 2000, 2003, and 2004 respectively.  It's got a way better translation that actually gets its historical, geographic, and religious terminology right but it's so much in the mold of previous seasons that the first three episodes are The Usual Shenanigans of the Sanzo party rolling into town and resolving local focus character A's tragic backstory before moving on, and the next three episodes are a three-part remake of the gaiden arc from the original Gensoumaden Saiyuki series from 2000 but without the violence toned down.  The only thing it does to move the plot even the tiniest bit forward prior to episode 7 is have the Sanzo party finally arrive in India after 101 episodes, 7 OVAs, a feature film, and eighteen years of real world time.

The animation quality's worlds better than the rather iffy animation from Reload and Reload GUNLOCK, and the translation's actually pretty good quality overall barring one typo I've seen.  It must've done pretty well, since another sequel was done in 2022... Saiyuki Reload ZEROIN.

Spoiler

The writers finally closed a plot hole that's been open since the original series regarding the number of Sanzo priests running around... that of the four, instead of five, in their generation an unnamed one died and Ukoku Sanzo sided with Gyumaoh, leaving just India's Sharak Sanzo and China's Genjo Sanzo.

Came back from a Screening of the First Gurren Lagann Movie..  Childhood's end.       I have seen the TV series,  but never watched the movies.       It was nice,  a recap of the first half and it stops right before the battle with the Spiral King.      It does go off the rails at the end,  which is understandable considering they are trying to compress all of it into a movie.

2nd Gurren Lagann movie is getting a screening next week,   The lights in the sky are stars.        

Also Cowboy Bebop Movie is getting a screening early next week,   if nothing is going on I might go see that as well.

My group finished its watch-through of Goblin Slayer II... if you overlook the huge amount of material that was skipped, it's a reasonably faithful adaptation for better or worse.

It is a bit jarring that the change in studios between seasons one and two led to such a significant visual difference.  The color palette changed in season two, and the characters proportions were changed quite a bit in the case of the lizard priest and the slayer himself, so the whole thing looks slightly wrong at times.

5 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

My group finished its watch-through of Goblin Slayer II... if you overlook the huge amount of material that was skipped, it's a reasonably faithful adaptation for better or worse.

It is a bit jarring that the change in studios between seasons one and two led to such a significant visual difference.  The color palette changed in season two, and the characters proportions were changed quite a bit in the case of the lizard priest and the slayer himself, so the whole thing looks slightly wrong at times.

The amount skipped just revolving around the Marriage arc and Vol 7 really left a bad taste in my mouth about season 2.    The whole Demon Hand arc is just left on the cutting room floor with the climax and resolution pretty much all that is left.    

Different studios handle things in different ways,  first season was White Fox,  which has done good work in the past but also some stinkers.     Liden Films animated Season 2,  I don't know a whole lot about this studio..  quick google search shows them credited with several series I have seen,  Akashic Records of Bastard Magic Instructor, Kaginado, Call of the Night, and The Legendary Hero Is Dead!.

Edited by Stampeed Valkyrie

Finished My Dress-up Darling yesterday.

It's cute.  I'm kind of surprised it hasn't had a second season yet.

Whole bunch of new episodes seem to drop on saturdays, so I've got new Blue ExorcistMashleThe Strongest Tank's Labyrinth RaidsTales of Wedding Rings, and A Sign of Affection waiting for me.

Still haven't started Metallic Rouge.  The two watch groups I'm in went backwards a bit... one to Original Dirty Pair and another to Love After World Domination.

23 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

Finished My Dress-up Darling yesterday.

It's cute.  I'm kind of surprised it hasn't had a second season yet.

Whole bunch of new episodes seem to drop on saturdays, so I've got new Blue ExorcistMashleThe Strongest Tank's Labyrinth RaidsTales of Wedding Rings, and A Sign of Affection waiting for me.

Still haven't started Metallic Rouge.  The two watch groups I'm in went backwards a bit... one to Original Dirty Pair and another to Love After World Domination.

They announced a second season for My Dress-Up Darling towards the end of 2022, but haven’t yet set a release date. At the time it was announced, there hadn’t yet been enough chapters of the manga to support the second season, but I suspect that we’ll probably get more information this year now that the manga is up to Chapter 100. 

1 minute ago, Beltane70 said:

They announced a second season for My Dress-Up Darling towards the end of 2022, but haven’t yet set a release date. At the time it was announced, there hadn’t yet been enough chapters of the manga to support the second season, but I suspect that we’ll probably get more information this year now that the manga is up to Chapter 100. 

Ah, thank you... that's some good news indeed. 😄

I'd hate to see a series as fun as that one be one-and-done.

Kinda wishing Love After World Domination had a second season too... my group is watching that one, and it's a lot of fun and a very affectionate parody of tokusatsu hero stories in general.

I've almost caught up to this week's releases.

The Unwanted Undead Adventurer really does feel like it's taking a lot from That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime, as the protagonist's goal is basically to raise his level in this RPG influenced world until he can return to something like human form.  I didn't find Slime all that interesting either so I'm not surprised this one's kinda "meh" to me, though at least The Unwanted Undead Adventurer doesn't have the feel of a general accountancy simulator the way Slime did.

The Wrong Way to Use Healing Magic is... I feel like the author has very specific tastes involving that one really big lady in Resident Evil 8.  It's occasionally funny, but IMO it doesn't feel like it's found its feet yet.

Blue Exorcist: Shimane Illuminati Saga is dull.  There's no other word I can use for it.  It picked up in the middle of a breather arc in the manga and it's been so long since the last season that it feels like it's groping around in the dark for something to do with itself.

The Strongest Tank's Labyrinth Raids is also pretty dull.  It doesn't really feel like there are any stakes in the story, and plot progression just kind of happens elsewhere while the protagonist is busy being creepy siscon.

Tales of Wedding Rings is one of those form letter isekai titles that are basically just an excuse to do a harem series.  The only thing it really does to stand out is that the story's main character isn't a total loser shut-in.  He's just a standard harem anime MC whose first partner is the Childhood Friend.  It's eminently skippable, IMO.  The story's a low-effort vehicle for fanservice.

Mashle is still pretty fun.  Everyone seems to be talking about it, but only because the OP for season two's such a banger.  The big dramatic story about whether people without magic deserve to continue living in a world where magic is a basic necessity of everyday life would have a lot more weight to it if Mash didn't have a permanent Saitama-esque poker face (and if it wasn't transparently obvious that he's the most brokenly-powerful person present at any given time).

A Sign of Affection is... almost intolerably cute.  Tastes like diabetes.  It's a very sweet, very cute romance story that's absolutely worth a watch for how seriously and sensitively it deals with the protagonist's disability.  It is a bit surreal how the level of facial detail changes.  Characters go from basically looking like an egg with hair for any comedy scene to almost over-detailed in closeups.  As I mentioned before, the original author clearly has a type... and made every single guy in the story in that mold.

7th Time Loop is your standard otome game reincarnation sort of schtick.  It's mildly diverting, but it has yet to do anything particularly interesting with its premise or story.

Villain-san's Day Off continues to be a fairly light and insubstantial slice of life story.  That its protagonist is a top-level tokusatsu series villain is almost forgotten entirely since his days off are spent in such peaceful ways.  

Frieren: Beyond Journey's End is one I'm way behind on, but as of about episode six or seven it hasn't really grabbed me yet.  

Villainess Level 99 is also some pretty form-letter otome game nonsense, though it tries to make acknowledging that a part of the humor with mixed results.

I have yet to start Metallic Rouge.

Once my group clears the rest of Original Dirty Pair we'll probably segue to Phantasy Star Online 2: Episode Oracle just to behold the beautiful disaster that was that MMO's first three major story arcs squashed into two cours.  It's not the most tangled story I've seen or played, but it's up there esp. considering how liberally time travel is abused.

First time watching Dougram. Just finished episode 10 last night and love it. Originally I thought it was a little too close to the storyline of Gundam (rebellious colony setup) but it's proved its originality to me now. It does ground combat really well and the Dougram seems more vulnerable and "real" than the RX-78 ever did.  I'm having fantasies about building the kits and running massive 1/72 wargames now...very tempted to order some Dougram kits..a lot of my real world 1/72 vehicles and terrain/buildings would double in the Dougram world...

btw does anyone else still watch anime with a genlock? What setup do you use? Here's my current setup:

R0025635.jpg

Chain is MDP-999 LD player and laptop (running Sub Station Alpha and .SSA files) into TVone CS-450, then out to CRT.

R0025626.jpg

Dougram .SSA ready to run

R0025631.jpg

R0025629.jpg

Combined images on screen.

R0025623.jpg

Current shows on deck. The few subs I can find for Minky Momo aren't even properly timed anyway so I'm watching it raw. My Japanese isn't great but the easiest Japanese is female Japanese imo. So I can understand about 98% of what Momo and her Mum say but much less of what male characters say. The older and "oyajier" the male character, the less I understand.

Hokkaido Gals are Super Adorable is, at the very least, shaping up to be something a bit more substantial than just another fanservice-y show.  Some mildly diverting character moments, but still nothing to write home about yet.

Villainess Level 99 seems to be speedrunning the usual isekai overpowered protagonist tropes.  It's only three episodes in and the protagonist is already more or less at the official level of "a state-recognized person of mass destruction" and absconding with the main story arc of the original story.  It's still not really doing anything to stand out.

Also started Metallic Rouge today.  This is one of those dystopian sci-fi/action titles that really makes me think the author has a terrible understanding of human nature.  We live in a world where people can't help anthropomorphizing and empathizing with machines as inhuman as a Roomba, and yet so many authors assume all of Humanity will arbitrarily be complete arseholes to self-aware humanoid androids just because they can.  It doesn't even make sense in context.

Spoiler

Seriously.  There's a scene in the first episode where two employees at a nightclub steal a phial of a substance that the android employees need daily in order to not die.  The other employees clearly realize what he's done, and halfheartedly call him on it, but at the end of the day (literal) they let this android die for no real reason.  Even if you don't consider that murder as the android begs for its life while dying, they still destroyed what is presumably a very expensive piece of company property.  Something like a self-aware, fully human-looking android cannot be cheap.

Especially not if what's said in the second episode is true, and they were designed for military use... which begs other questions like why a piece of military hardware needed to be self-aware and able to feel things like pain and fear.

All in all, first impression is that Metallic Rouge is a terribly unimaginative and by-the-numbers post-cyberpunk title that dares to halfheartedly ask if artificial people are people too... but only for some fake pathos while the protagonist is dismembering another android-gone-rogue like this is Rockman X.

Watched the 2nd Gurren Lagann Movie "The Lights in the Sky are Stars" in Theatres last night.    Overall whether you enjoy it or not depends on if you enjoyed GL to begin with.    Both movies are largely stripped down retellings of the events of the TV series.   With the endings on both going completely off the rails.     I could nitpick here and there but overall it was enjoyable and I was not dissapointed.    

Theatrically speaking the next 2 "anime" movies coming to theatres is the FF 7 Advent Children movie,  and Paprika.     I'll probably go see Paprika because I like Satoshi Kon movies.. but the FF7 movie is an easy pass,  was boring when it released.. boring now.

22 hours ago, Hikaru Ichijo SL said:

I am finally ne3aring the end of Captain Harlock.  It is good.  The Earth government is so useless.  They seem to have no useful defenses.

Nice. I was always standoffish about the Leijiverse because of the Japanese nationalist themes in Yamato. However, it's such solid sci-fi from the random episodes of stuff I've seen, and so iconic for characters like Harlock, I have to see it all before I die and it will be my next watch project after I'm done with filling in all the gaps in my viewing for Takahashi and Tomino. So should be a year or two at least before I get started!

Edited by Space Casual Life
clarity

4 minutes ago, Space Casual Life said:

Nice. I was always standoffish about the Leijiverse because of the Japanese nationalist themes in Yamato. However, it's such solid sci-fi from the random episodes of stuff I've seen, and so iconic for characters like Harlock, I have to see it all before I die and it will be my next watch project after I'm done with filling in all the gaps in my viewing for Takahashi and Tomino. So should be a year or two before I get started!

I still like Yamato more.  Harlock is long and drags a bit.  But it is still worth watching.

On 1/23/2024 at 2:30 PM, Space Casual Life said:

First time watching Dougram. Just finished episode 10 last night and love it. Originally I thought it was a little too close to the storyline of Gundam (rebellious colony setup) but it's proved its originality to me now. It does ground combat really well and the Dougram seems more vulnerable and "real" than the RX-78 ever did.  I'm having fantasies about building the kits and running massive 1/72 wargames now...very tempted to order some Dougram kits..a lot of my real world 1/72 vehicles and terrain/buildings would double in the Dougram world...

It’s definitely a bit more complicated than the og Gundam. They had a good bit of growing up story wise after finishing what most call the first real robot series and it shows. Definitely more real and less of the super robot thing going on.

The new Max Factory kits are pretty great and the figures that come with them have great detail for the size. They’re not quite as articulate as the average Gundam kit and do require a little more work, but totally worth the work

8 hours ago, Big s said:

It’s definitely a bit more complicated than the og Gundam. They had a good bit of growing up story wise after finishing what most call the first real robot series and it shows. Definitely more real and less of the super robot thing going on.

The new Max Factory kits are pretty great and the figures that come with them have great detail for the size. They’re not quite as articulate as the average Gundam kit and do require a little more work, but totally worth the work

Right, yes it seems that way. And for Takahashi a step towards the "ultimate real robot show" , Votoms. I was afraid he'd been restricted to Gundam tropes in Dougram with the politics and the Amuro archetype. However it soon impressed me with things like [spoiler]the wormhole port, the staged hostage situation[/spoiler] and yes as you say the more grounded depiction of the "hero" mecha. I agree Gundam was a real landmark turning point in anime.  Tomino had already started getting really dark and subversive with Zambot 3 and you could see he wanted to do something different. I think he broke the mold to allow himself and others like Takahashi to try different stuff. 

As for kits,  I love how in Dougram combat armors can't fly and are just a component, acting as MBTs, in a combined armed force, much easier to wargame in a scale like 1/72 than a show like Macross with flying and transforming stuff. I like the Max Factory kits but have nostalgia for the '80s stuff. Not only were the originals on the shelf of my local K-Mart in the mid-'80s, along with Galient and other random shows,  but so were the Revell Robotech Defenders versions that included a lot of Dougram stuff (which, as a Robotech fan at the time confused the heck out of me!). I'm going to do modifications on the old Dougram kits I think, giving the Combat Armors more dynamic poses. For Federation infantry I'm just probably going to use old ESCI plastic "modern" US infantry with helmet rims, rifle carry handles and a lot of pouches hacked off, then those weird vests moulded on with epoxy...

Edited by Space Casual Life
spoiler code didn't work?

3 hours ago, Space Casual Life said:

For Federation infantry I'm just probably going to use old ESCI plastic "modern" US infantry with helmet rims, rifle carry handles and a lot of pouches hacked off, then those weird vests moulded on with epoxy...

IMG_2411.jpeg.9c3b259639211d83a7c9f6514479419c.jpegIMG_2410.jpeg.6e04f910ab89c90b8f09315a1a96f875.jpegIMG_2409.jpeg.203c6dc1955aaa509179528764f6baee.jpegIMG_2408.jpeg.24ab27d8e4e5fc302bfef0356321c3ad.jpegIMG_2407.jpeg.be2ac01cb5a9afd6183fa25456535f4a.jpegIMG_2406.jpeg.7fbc3f8266d1cd00505bcd50c7b9ca2e.jpegsome of the max factory kits have pretty cool soldiers and characters. But maybe some 1/72 Vietnam era troops could work well for stand ins. Might just have to modify the helmets and the equipment a little 

13 hours ago, Big s said:

some of the max factory kits have pretty cool soldiers and characters. But maybe some 1/72 Vietnam era troops could work well for stand ins. Might just have to modify the helmets and the equipment a little 

Yes definitely, I think at least some  of them are recasts or reworkings of figures that came with the original Takara kits. I've got the Deloyer 7 set on the way to me (apparently these figures only came out in 1/48 in the '80s.) and some of the other older kits I'm also getting have a few Federation infantry - just not enough for platoons or companies so I'll model my converted guys on the official ones. I think "modern" US infantry will work better as a base than Vietnam because of the "fritz" style helmet.

Watched the latest from Metallic Rouge and started Bang Brave Bang Bravern today...

Metallic Rouge is really not doing anything unique or interesting.  It really is just a halfhearted version of I, Robot but with the addition of some Rockman X or Android Kikaider-style hunting "evil" robots who all have specific themes and signature attacks.  The writers can't seem to be bothered to spend the time to make the Neans interesting or relatable or to even make the characters themselves invested in their plight (despite the titular character being one), so all the time the series spends dwelling on their plight just feels insincere and wasted.

Bang Brave Bang Bravern is... I feel trolled.  I went into it blind, and the first eighteen or so minutes of the series look like a fairly unimaginative form letter space war robot anime... and then...

Spoiler

... a super robot drops out of the f***ing sky with no buildup whatsoever and the genre abruptly takes a left turn into a super robot series with heavy elements of self-parody.

The problem is the self-parody largely isn't funny and the series outside of the titular robot keeps slogging on like the story's a real robot anime so you have this goofy giant robot that talks and is its own lemony narrator cheek by jowl with The Horrors of Space War and the tonal dissonance destroys both the humor and any serious impact that the other side of the story might have.