What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Wrapped Kaginado S2...

I stick with my statement that Angel Beats saved this series.   S1 was filled with the same jokes repeatedly across multiple episodes,  this became painfully obvious late in S1 as it felt like the series was just stumbling around in the dark.   S2 came out strong and was able to at least coast to a fairly good end.

I was going to say my only real complaint would be the complete lack of anything Planetarian in S2 but the last episode rectified that.

Spoiler

I am happy that at least in some universe Yumemi and the Junker are both alive and well.

The rest waits now till after AX..  I think I still have 3 series outstanding..   and now I am seeing that "Kakkou no Iinazuke" is 24 eps.. so next season.

39 minutes ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Wrapped Kaginado S2...

I stick with my statement that Angel Beats saved this series.   S1 was filled with the same jokes repeatedly across multiple episodes,  this became painfully obvious late in S1 as it felt like the series was just stumbling around in the dark.   S2 came out strong and was able to at least coast to a fairly good end.

I was going to say my only real complaint would be the complete lack of anything Planetarian in S2 but the last episode rectified that.

Reveal hidden contents

I am happy that at least in some universe Yumemi and the Junker are both alive and well.

The rest waits now till after AX..  I think I still have 3 series outstanding..   and now I am seeing that "Kakkou no Iinazuke" is 24 eps.. so next season.

I agree 100% with everything you said.  The end when Ushio appears really made me lose it.  Clannad really screwed me up.  The 3 of them together is just to precious. Ushio saying Mama, Papa really hurts.

Got through the final episodes of a few shows today...

Don't Hurt Me, My Healer! was a massive waste of time.  The protagonists are so utterly useless that the first actual threat they face is defeated... by the guest stars from the show's previous episodes.  It can only be described as the unwanted child of the Big Lipped Alligator Moment and an Anticlimax.

Skeleton Knight in Another World is another one that really never developed or went anywhere.  It's another boring, minimum-effort isekai shovelware series that never manages to get past the basic premise it borrowed from another, more popular, series and is noteworthy only for a total banger of an OP.  Otherwise, it's so forgettable I literally cannot remember the names of 90% of the cast and I just finished watching it.

Trapped in a Dating Sim: the World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs also stumbled to its going-nowhere conclusion that really doesn't do anything except halfheartedly reveal that Leon actually does give enough of a damn about other people to bother saving them in a terribly passive-aggressive way.  This one suffered more from terrible production values on almost every episode than anything else.  It's especially noteworthy with the Armors, which are off-model so much I'm not actually sure what on-model is supposed to look like!

Started Spy x Family, and it's had me in stitches... I can see why this one ended up a breakout hit.

I started to watch the first 6 episodes of Shield Hero season 2 and they are meh.

To me the best part of the show was always when Naofumi and his party traveled the world with their cart and the interpersonal relationships. The fight scenes were passable at best distracting from the meaty parts of the story.

Now from the beginning of season 2 I don’t get that at all. They are fighting a lot and it is boring.

Because they are fighting so much there is no time to build a relationship with the villain or with Ost so I’m rather uninvested in the show at the moment.

[edit:] It seems like the show is getting back on track with episode 7.

Edited by Scyla

Kaguya-sama: Love is War picked a pretty good spot to end the season. I hope that their recently announced next series will adapt the final story arc, since the manga will be ending soon.  Just an all-around fantastic adaptation.

On 6/29/2022 at 6:11 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

Trapped in a Dating Sim: the World of Otome Games is Tough for Mobs also stumbled to its going-nowhere conclusion that really doesn't do anything except halfheartedly reveal that Leon actually does give enough of a damn about other people to bother saving them in a terribly passive-aggressive way.  This one suffered more from terrible production values on almost every episode than anything else.  It's especially noteworthy with the Armors, which are off-model so much I'm not actually sure what on-model is supposed to look like!

I liked this series. It was kinda refreshing or different to have a character with such a jerk attitude (instead of the usual 'nice guy') as the main lead. 

I definitely agree about the terrible production values. The animation (or lack there of) of the mechs are bad enough to make one cringe.

Watched the first episode of Bsstard on Netflix. So far it’s kinda ok. It’s a bit more goofy than I remember and the animation is pretty cheap for anime. Hopefully it gets better, but this show really needed a bigger budget in the animation department 

It's too damned hot to work in my study, so I spent part of today watching Deaimon.  The series is localized by Crunchyroll as Deaimon: Recipe for Happiness.

It's a cute little slice of life drama about a carefree 30-something who moves home to rejoin the family business (a traditional Japanese confectionary shop) after his music career bombs and discovers his family have taken in a girl named Itsuka whose father abandoned her at the shop and have been raising her as their successor.

It's cute, but a bit weird, as the episodes seem to revolve around solving a character's personal issues through some metaphor vaguely involving traditional Japanese sweets.  The foreshadowing involving the identity of Itsuka's father is as subtle as a half-brick to the head.

Spoiler

There is no subtlety at all... the flashbacks make is stupidly incredibly obvious that Nagomu's senpai from school who turned him on to music is Itsuka's father who abandoned her at the shop to chase his music career.

... and finished Deaimon: Recipe for Happiness.

It's cute and fluffy and generally a feel-good sort of series with enough emotional weight to it that it doesn't feel substanceless like some of the other offerings from this past season.  On the whole, I think I'd recommend it, though it's definitely too short and the ending doesn't really offer any closure.

It's been a few years since I watched welcome to the NHK.   I don't remember it being that bad. 

Back from AX and doing my wrap ups.

Shield Hero S2.. meh  if that is all they animate then so be it.

Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san -  wrapped Ep 12 today.   Overall I thought it was enjoyable pretty light hearted with a twist on expected rolls in relationships.   Apparently did not fare so well with JP viewers so unlikely to see more.   

A bunch of new stuff obviously since Summer 2022.

Lot's of things on my Radar now that things have started to drop.

I am going to have to really try hard not to be critical of MOT..

Edited by Stampeed Valkyrie

On 7/9/2022 at 2:10 PM, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Kawaii dake ja Nai Shikimori-san -  wrapped Ep 12 today.   Overall I thought it was enjoyable pretty light hearted with a twist on expected rolls in relationships.   Apparently did not fare so well with JP viewers so unlikely to see more.  

As a fan of the manga,  I was disappointed with the anime adaptation.

There's something really off with the anime version. Personally, I think they chose the wrong VA's for the leads and got the overall tone all wrong. In particular, the anime didn't do a good job in showing the dichotomy of Shikimori's cutesy side and her cool/edgy side, which is  the whole raison d'être of her character and relationship with Izumi. 

Read the manga, skip the anime I'd say.

I have to admit, so far I'm pretty disappointed in this season's offerings.

Nothing's really jumping out at me except Overlord season 4... which was a forgone conclusion because I love the light novel.

The only one on Crunchyroll's currently available simulcasts for this season that really grabbed me was The Yakuza's Guide to Babysitting... which seems like it will be either a laugh riot or terrible, with no middle ground whatsoever.  I might pick up The Devil is a Part-Timer season 2, but there is just nothing else here.  

I guess it's going to be a good season for my backlog, at least.

13 hours ago, Seto Kaiba said:

I have to admit, so far I'm pretty disappointed in this season's offerings.

Nothing's really jumping out at me except Overlord season 4... which was a forgone conclusion because I love the light novel.

The only one on Crunchyroll's currently available simulcasts for this season that really grabbed me was The Yakuza's Guide to Babysitting... which seems like it will be either a laugh riot or terrible, with no middle ground whatsoever.  I might pick up The Devil is a Part-Timer season 2, but there is just nothing else here.  

I guess it's going to be a good season for my backlog, at least.

I agree. The only one I really liked was Jashin-chan Dropkick X. But Love Live! Superstar!! 2nd Season and Hataraku Maou-sama!! s2 haven't started.

Overlord season 4 is now underway... the OP "Hollow Hunger" seems to suggest that this season is gonna cover everything up to the conclusion of The Witch of the Falling Kingdom.  

Brace yourselves, sh*t's about to get DARK.

Spoiler

That's a huge swath of story with several increasingly dark conclusions... Ainz's side trip to the Baharuth Empire that ends with the collapse of the alliance against the Sorcerer Kingdom and Jircniv becoming Ainz's vassal, the trip into Dwarf country and the genocide of the Quagoa, the war between the beastmen and Roeble Holy Kingdom, and then the Sorcerer Kingdom declaring war on the Re-Estize Kingdom.

• 2 weeks later...

Started The Yakuza's Guide to Babysitting.

It's weirdly similar to Spy x Family in a lot of ways.  The main character (Kirishima) is a hypercompetent badass - though in this case, a feared yakuza enforcer instead of a James Bond-esque secret agent - who finds himself unexpectedly tasked with having to look after the boss's daughter after she comes to live with her father.  Interestingly, The Yakuza's Guide to Babysitting doesn't shy away from the fact that Kirishima is an infamously violent yakuza member (or showing him taking unapologetic glee in his "work").  Instead, he's completely thrown by his young charge's belief that he's actually a pretty good person and struggles a fair bit to relate to an innocent kid.  All in all, it's quite a sweet series which feels like it's got some actual substance to it just a few episodes in.

I've got a good feeling about this one.

Overlord's 4th season is off to a pretty good start.  I was surprised by how little was cut from the story to make it fit so far.  Four episodes in and they've already finished the Ruler of Conspiracy adaptation.  About all that got left out was some of the details about Jircniv's penultimate psychological breakdown where he could feel someone watching him but his court magicians couldn't tell how or by whom.  

• 3 weeks later...

So is anyone following anything this season?     For me its mostly been a disappointment.    Besides Overlord S4 and Danmachi S4  both are enjoyable so far.   Overlord S4 is actually watchable unlike the dumpster fire that was S3.    Danmachi is holding up on its own,  I just get the feeling that so much is getting edited out for time.

Speaking of anime's that are so heavily edited for time..   Utawarerumono MOT..    *heavy sigh*   So much is missing,   They are rushing so quickly that major points that occur early on that effect the story are just lightly skimmed over.. or just outright edited out.   Even some of the comedy elements miss the mark because you can't tell a joke without context.    I know its 28 episodes,  and we are only 8 in but my hopes are largely dashed.     If you liked any of this play the game.    Seriously.

Let's see what else..   oh yea this season's Isekai Trash..    

Isekai Meikyuu de Harem wo...   I realize that this is very early in the story but this is a good candidate for Creepiest anime of 2022.   The whole Slave thing just turns this series sour.. not to mention the MC is outright Trash.   

Hataraku Maou-sama!!..   A 2nd season that they took way too long to bring out,  and at this point its falling on its face.   The 1st season was done much better,  and the jarring disconnect is so bad.   It does not help that this season has a very weak story arc.

Kinsou no Vermeil...  While not outright terrible,  its not really that great either..     At least the MC is not a total pushover,  as of Episode 7 that is.

Kakkou no Iinazuke S2..  dropped.    1st season was OK,  had my interest enough to read the manga.   That killed it for me.     Feel free to chime in if its worth picking back up again.

Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru..  Well its amusing I will give it that,     I think the side characters are more interesting then the main ones are.    But if you like a light hearted Rom-com I can see this working.

Saikin Yatotta Maid ga Ayashii..  Only 2 episodes in on this one.   The group is watching this one,  seems to be pretty light hearted with some comedic elements to it.     If you like busty Older sister type maids who have a thing for Shota's then this is your time to shine.

Prima Doll..  3 episodes in and the group dropped it.     If it gets better let me know.    Key's string of bad Anime series continue.

Hanabi-chan wa Okuregachi..   well its basically a series of shorts about several well known Pachislots..  Hanabi, Thunder, VS etc..  all getting turned into cute anime girls.     If you go into it without much of an expectation you won't be upset.   Another light hearted just watch and pass the time anime.

Kumichou Musume to Sewagakari..  Another title the group picked up this season.    On the fence with this,   enjoyable but not sure where it is trying to go.     The idol episode was great..

SHADOWS HOUSE 2nd Season..  Group is supposed to start watching the first season..  I hear good things.

Summer Time Render..  Another one the Group has on its list,  another one I hear good things about.    I think Disney has this behind its paywall.

2 hours ago, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

So is anyone following anything this season?     For me its mostly been a disappointment.    Besides Overlord S4 and Danmachi S4  both are enjoyable so far.   Overlord S4 is actually watchable unlike the dumpster fire that was S3.    Danmachi is holding up on its own,  I just get the feeling that so much is getting edited out for time.

Speaking of anime's that are so heavily edited for time..   Utawarerumono MOT..    *heavy sigh*   So much is missing,   They are rushing so quickly that major points that occur early on that effect the story are just lightly skimmed over.. or just outright edited out.   Even some of the comedy elements miss the mark because you can't tell a joke without context.    I know its 28 episodes,  and we are only 8 in but my hopes are largely dashed.     If you liked any of this play the game.    Seriously.

Let's see what else..   oh yea this season's Isekai Trash..    

Isekai Meikyuu de Harem wo...   I realize that this is very early in the story but this is a good candidate for Creepiest anime of 2022.   The whole Slave thing just turns this series sour.. not to mention the MC is outright Trash.   

Hataraku Maou-sama!!..   A 2nd season that they took way too long to bring out,  and at this point its falling on its face.   The 1st season was done much better,  and the jarring disconnect is so bad.   It does not help that this season has a very weak story arc.

Kinsou no Vermeil...  While not outright terrible,  its not really that great either..     At least the MC is not a total pushover,  as of Episode 7 that is.

Kakkou no Iinazuke S2..  dropped.    1st season was OK,  had my interest enough to read the manga.   That killed it for me.     Feel free to chime in if its worth picking back up again.

Soredemo Ayumu wa Yosetekuru..  Well its amusing I will give it that,     I think the side characters are more interesting then the main ones are.    But if you like a light hearted Rom-com I can see this working.

Saikin Yatotta Maid ga Ayashii..  Only 2 episodes in on this one.   The group is watching this one,  seems to be pretty light hearted with some comedic elements to it.     If you like busty Older sister type maids who have a thing for Shota's then this is your time to shine.

Prima Doll..  3 episodes in and the group dropped it.     If it gets better let me know.    Key's string of bad Anime series continue.

Hanabi-chan wa Okuregachi..   well its basically a series of shorts about several well known Pachislots..  Hanabi, Thunder, VS etc..  all getting turned into cute anime girls.     If you go into it without much of an expectation you won't be upset.   Another light hearted just watch and pass the time anime.

Kumichou Musume to Sewagakari..  Another title the group picked up this season.    On the fence with this,   enjoyable but not sure where it is trying to go.     The idol episode was great..

SHADOWS HOUSE 2nd Season..  Group is supposed to start watching the first season..  I hear good things.

Summer Time Render..  Another one the Group has on its list,  another one I hear good things about.    I think Disney has this behind its paywall.

I am. 

Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru Darou ka. enjoying

Fuuto Tantei.  Might be my favorite.  I loved Kamen Rider W.

Hataraku Maou-sama!! S2. Good story, but really bad animation.

Isekai Meikyuu de Harem wo.  I feel guilty watching this but I love it anyway.

Isekai Yakkyoku 07.  This is one I didn't expect to like at all.  I watched it on a whim and it was pretty good.

Jashin-chan Dropkick X 08.  I can never say a bad thing about this show.

Love Live Superstar S2 06.  It is a very slow burn.

Luminous Witches 07.  Not a bad show.  But missing all the fun of Strike Witches.  I am a Mana fan who just feels like Lucchini to me

Lycoris Recoil 07.  This was my shock that it was so good for this season.

Made in Abyss: Retsujitsu no Ougonkyou 07.  It is my least favorite for the season.

Mamahaha no Tsurego ga Motokano datta 07.  Still on the fence on this one.

Tensei Kenja no Isekai Life 09.  Fun show if you need mindless entertainment.

Edited by Hikaru Ichijo SL