What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

I have been behind on anime this year unfortunately. After Galient I am not sure if I should take on M3, Argevellion, and Captain Earth, or do a supposed classic like Blood +, Black Lagoon, or Outlaw Star.

I'd do Black Lagooon before some of the others you mentioned. It's one fun series.

Running through an old Shoji anime. Orgasmo-tron triple combiner! Oops. I meant Aquarion. So funny when they combine. Free on Crackle. :p

I made it through Aquarion through the strengths of the mechs alone. I don't remember much of the plot except for some feral dude who wasn't really feral and a weird Luke-and-Lea type thing going on.

But gyahd the mechs looked so damn cool. I love how the combined robots differed depending on who was the lead ship.

I have been behind on anime this year unfortunately. After Galient I am not sure if I should take on M3, Argevellion, and Captain Earth, or do a supposed classic like Blood +, Black Lagoon, or Outlaw Star.

A lot of my friends are really into Black Lagoon right now so I'll give it a chance.

Outlaw Star was good, but it was overshadowed by BeBop when it was on Adult Swim back in the early millenium. That's one I wouldn't mind revisiting.

I made it through Aquarion through the strengths of the mechs alone. I don't remember much of the plot except for some feral dude who wasn't really feral and a weird Luke-and-Lea type thing going on.

But gyahd the mechs looked so damn cool. I love how the combined robots differed depending on who was the lead ship.

and how they have orgasm-like reaction when combining :p

I'm the opposite. I could not stomach the first season.

Unfortunately, there's a boring talky bit in the middle of their ultimate battle of ultimate destiny, but the books were like that too.

And here we get to the problem with modern anime. No one does a proper adaptation any more(except Arpeggio).

They take the print version, copy the script verbatim, and then cut parts out or pad with dead space until it runs in the time allotted.

So both seasons have the same problem, effectively. They're just opposite extremes of that problem. Season 1 hacked and slashed and chopped and cut, season 2 puts in random shots of Sinon's leg-roots and The Lizard.

An hour ago I finished Panzer World Galient and it was friggin excellent. It would have been better if not for three things:

1. The last episode had the main villain (who was pretty cool) suddenly did a heel turn and just gave up. Reasonable considering his planet was going to be erased though.

2. Episodes 13 to 22 had some really slow pacing in them, the action scenes were fine, but dialogue that was not exposition or about character death felt like it was trying to eat up too much time and

3. While more of a nitpick the secondary protagonist mecha barely do much of anything even though they are supposed to lead the troops into battle. They did well in the last two eps, but before then they mostly stood around.

Three big errors, but the series is still solid all around, a definite recommendation. Before I get my hands dirty into the Black Lagoon (maybe I should get a Gillman costume) I will dive into some compilations and specials including the final ep of KlK everyone talks about.

Aquarion is high mecha camp. And Aquarion EVOL takes that to the extreme.

I'm glad Kawamori keeps some of his more crazy ideas for Aquarion without bringing them over to Macross.

I could've sworn Macross Frontier had some Aquarion-inspired elements in it, at least according to TVTropes.

I recently finished watching Attack on Titan. I can see why it's popular, but I do think there's been a lot of hype, especially for an anime that ends on such a complete cliffhanger. But that's old news.

I'm looking forward to G-Reco, Gundam Build Fighters Try, and the Initial D compilation movies, and an HD release of Final Stage.

Started watching Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou.

It started sort of like Suzuka. But then the story got bat crazy comical with Usa and his bizarre roommates at his apartment. His NEET roommate, Shiro, somehow gets the most F-up masochist ideas. But that guy might be the coolest character so far. My ribs are still hurting from all the laughs. Next episode!

Four episodes into Black Lagoon.... I somehow do not find this anime that interesting. The action is good, but the music blows chunks and Revy is annoying as hell. G-Reco was not bad, but nothing interesting either. Tempted to watch Cross Ange, but last time Sunrise tried to remake Code Geass we got trash-rave the awful, having an all one-gender cast is bad even if they brought back Fukada from his post-Destiny hiatus. So torn.

It started sort of like Suzuka. But then the story got bat crazy comical with Usa and his bizarre roommates at his apartment. His NEET roommate, Shiro, somehow gets the most F-up masochist ideas. But that guy might be the coolest character so far. My ribs are still hurting from all the laughs. Next episode!

that was one of my random pick ups. glad i took the chance. finished watching some weeks back and thoroughly enjoyed it. seems not a lot of folks here are into slice of life anime so i didn't bother to mention it.

best not to marathon this one. for health reasons. you might crack a rib or two. it's just frickin' hilarious.

i looked for similar shows and found Binbougami Ga which i just finished. got me laughing a lot too, but it's more of slapstick comedy rather than the witty, dialogue-driven humor of BwMK. having said that BG has it's share of very funny dialogue and the parodies of various famous animes got me in stitches. they would pop up in unexpected ways and in unlikely scenarios, making them quite potent.

BG has a few melodramatic moments which unfortunately broke the momentum at times. it has a very catchy OP song though

seems a second season is in the works. can't wait!

I am watching Muv Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse, and I am really loving the action. The series isn't just 'blow up the bad guys' all the time, there exist the constants with Anime of course.

The best thing about it so far is the shift in plot that I really didn't see coming. I felt the overall conflicts up to the recap episode were sufficient enough to keep me watching. Without spoiling I can tell you that it gets much more involved and real.

I tried watching Dominion Tank Police, and Area 88, but I think I missed the nostalgia boat on these as I didn't find them entertaining. That isn't to say that someone else won't enjoy them with a cold start like I had.

Deadman Wonderland has been really quick to develop, I'm into about ep 3 now. So brutal.

Blood+ I go back to occasionally, but I think I chopped up the story so much between stops and starts I am not getting the full appreciation.

Gurren Lagann was really out there. I didn't watch too much of it. The mecha was a bit too juvenile for me.

Watched all the ARISE borders, found #3 to be slow, but maybe I was so enamoured with the appearance of new tanks, that the excitement over shadowed my sentiments.

I am wishing for more Vampire Bund to show up on Canadian Netflix, among others. Sigh.

Watched the two episodes and some points I had to make:

* The MS designs are a bit off or should I say weird?

* The titular G-Self I mean Gundam...LOL.....reminds me on an earlier a Gundam from an earlier series done by Tomino....the one that had Romi Paku sa the MC's VA....forgot what that was.

* Make up your mind G-Self or Gundam? :p

* Federation and Zeon MS from a different era...LOL

* Walking instead of rolling segways? +_+

* Fantastic OP though. :D

EDIT:

Also watched the first episode of Cross Ange and is it just me or is this like Gundam Seed and Code Geas rolled into one with a female MC? :blink:

Someone at Randomc.net even posted an image comparing certain scenes in this show to Gundam Seed: http://i.imgur.com/ML5eVwt.jpg :ph34r:

Edited by grss1982

Watched first episode of the new Fate series. It's allright, but not as awesome as the franchise fanboys make it to be. It's definitely better to have Rin as protagonist than Shirou "People die if they are killed" Emiya.

But the highlight of my weekend was Gundam Reconguista... It was awesome and terrible in equal measure. Tomino just completely does things his own way and as a result the series is completely retro and like nothing done today. From the breakneck pacing, weirdly named characters, good ole machismo, to the Bright-slapping and early character deaths...it's all there. Classic Gundam. I'm loving it.

All that's missing now is a antagonist with a mask that's much more charismatic than the MC. I'm sure it will come soon.

Yeah, it's a pretty solid comedy series.

And it's got an introvert bookworm character that behaves realistically! Bonus points!

Watched first episode of the new Fate series. It's allright, but not as awesome as the franchise fanboys make it to be. It's definitely better to have Rin as protagonist than Shirou "People die if they are killed" Emiya.

Bad news, that's just the prologue. The game runs it on first boot and "clearing" it drops you to the title screen(where all subsequent boots start you). Rin's taking a back seat next episode and people start dying when they are killed. Except Shirou. Killing him just makes him angry.

Rin's already done enough damage anyways. Pretty much every last word of the prologue is either horribly misleading or an outright lie.

But fear not. The UBW arc is totally Archer's show. Even when Shirou's in the spotlight, it's still Archer's show.

I'm still hoping they figure out a way to animate Heaven's Feel somewhere down the line.

Watched the two episodes and some points I had to make:

* The MS designs are a bit off or should I say weird?

* The titular G-Self I mean Gundam...LOL.....reminds me on an earlier a Gundam from an earlier series done by Tomino....the one that had Romi Paku sa the MC's VA....forgot what that was.

* Make up your mind G-Self or Gundam? :p

* Federation and Zeon MS from a different era...LOL

* Walking instead of rolling segways? +_+

* Fantastic OP though. :D

I dig the mecha design. It's different and feels new, without any of the lanky feeling of, say, the mecha in 00. The MS in G-Reco feel compact, but they're not skinny. Proportions are important.

That's kind of the idea. This is set between UC and CC.

Gundam G-Self. Like Gundam Alex or Gundam Ground Type. You can call it Gundam, you can call it G-Self, you're not wrong.

I WANT MY CHICKENWALKER SEGWAY. GIVE TO ME.

Anyway, I'm really digging G-Reco. The super BONES animation style, the cool new mecha design, the fast pacing, the non-angsty main character. It's ticking off my boxes something fierce. The only thing I don't like so much is that the non-angsty protagonist is a bit too flippant. Like, take something seriously for once, Bellri.

Edited by SchizophrenicMC

Yeah, it's a pretty solid comedy series.

And it's got an introvert bookworm character that behaves realistically! Bonus points!

Bad news, that's just the prologue. The game runs it on first boot and "clearing" it drops you to the title screen(where all subsequent boots start you). Rin's taking a back seat next episode and people start dying when they are killed. Except Shirou. Killing him just makes him angry.

Rin's already done enough damage anyways. Pretty much every last word of the prologue is either horribly misleading or an outright lie.

But fear not. The UBW arc is totally Archer's show. Even when Shirou's in the spotlight, it's still Archer's show.

I'm still hoping they figure out a way to animate Heaven's Feel somewhere down the line.

I'm not sure I understood anything you wrote here ( I should probably mention I'm not into VN's) but I'll take your word that I shouldn't fear and let Archer entertain me :)

tbh, if you are not a fan then just enjoy it as much as possible and just do not expect anything. It is a lot easier than that. Fanboy will make it sound it is the best thing next to slice bread. If anything, the series is well funded now (due to the success of the first series, spin-off and prequel) and the fight scenes are better animated.

October list first impression:

Rage of Bahamut: Animation are good and the idea of Giant monster battling is something I like. Hopefully, it wont get filler like materials and lots of fanservice. Since it is a card-based game, I just hope it gets a complete story.

Cross Ange: Seed / Seed destiny template. The first episode was supposed to be tragic background of the princess but again, fanservice happened. I like the Motorcycle like mecha they ride but I hate the robot/mecha mode.

TerraFormars: still nothing happened. it is currently censored though so some parts are not seen. I still have yet to see how they fight that humanoid roaches

Madan No Ou to Vanadis: Fanservice anime. Nothings happening though so I might stick around.

Log Horizon: I am a MMORPG player so I picked this up before. imo, one episode in and i can say it is a lot better than SAO II which has been a dis-appointment until now.

Gundam Reco: Watched it even though Tomino said that current fans should not watch it. I think it looks promising. The protagonist are overly retarded for liking though. What I really like about it is on how it looks modern and retro at the same time.

that was one of my random pick ups. glad i took the chance. finished watching some weeks back and thoroughly enjoyed it. seems not a lot of folks here are into slice of life anime so i didn't bother to mention it.

best not to marathon this one. for health reasons. you might crack a rib or two. it's just frickin' hilarious.

i looked for similar shows and found Binbougami Ga which i just finished. got me laughing a lot too, but it's more of slapstick comedy rather than the witty, dialogue-driven humor of BwMK. having said that BG has it's share of very funny dialogue and the parodies of various famous animes got me in stitches. they would pop up in unexpected ways and in unlikely scenarios, making them quite potent.

BG has a few melodramatic moments which unfortunately broke the momentum at times. it has a very catchy OP song though

seems a second season is in the works. can't wait!

Thanks for tip. I'll check it out once I'm done with a couple of other ones.

Just watched Black Lagoon episode 5.

Wow.

I have. Never. In my life. Seen any story. At all. In which.

*drinks water*

Nazis are the antagonists. Nazis. With firearms. Ready to kill. Yet somehow. Somehow.

*deep breath*

The protagonists are worse people, more villainous, and have less humanity.

Worse than Nazis.

Yeah.

*cough*

All thanks to Revy. She is essentially a rule 63 version of Otha from Patlabor.

Nazis are somehow more humane than her. I just- *facepalm*

This might be the first anime I actually drop.

Tarintino's Inglorious Bastards remake does not count, that movie was just plain terrible in its own right.

Edited by DuelGundam2099

Revy == Ohta?

There is no universe where that computes.

Nietzsche's philosophy is a key driver in Black Lagoon, my friend. And the show is dark because of it. Even "Rock" isn't what he seems, and the best the show can ever do is to rise to a shaky middle. Given the viewing habits you've shared in this thread, and the shows that you've listed as favorites, I'm not surprised by your review.

I thoroughly enjoyed it, myself, though. Revy is not written as a good character (not even chaotic good). No one working for Lagoon Company is a good character. It is the reality if Roanapur in this fictional world.

Edited by technoblue