What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v4.0

wolfx

Ah, camera shakes. I uploaded those photos from my iPhone, so couldn't re-confirm them in datail...

The monorail station is not so far from Makuhari Messe where ACE was held, so I went to yesterday.

You remember the OP of Oreimo of the first season. The monorail appears, so the company collaborated with the anime, I guess.

The characters played by Yuuich Nakamura are often pushed around by the girls.

Alto-kun, Kyousuke Kousaka and Houtaro Oreki (Hyouka). lol

Edited by antibiotictab

So since Sunday I've been going through the TV version of X and just finished ep 10. This is kind of creepy: It is clearly shojo junk, it is made by none other than the infamous CLAMP (who names themselves after tools and fails to use that?), people usually hate this anime albeit it is more toward the movie version (which was kind of bad but not to the extent everyone says it is, much like Alone in The Dark), and the music is not that great. Yet, somehow.... I don't detest it; if anything if I find it.... Kind of good. It reminds me of Gundam Seed and Destiny in a cosmic sort of way (maybe it is the visuals). The narrative is much better presented than in the movie, it is not that girly (somehow), there is well done character development, and the pacing.... is GOOD. Not "decent", not "tolerable", not "bad", not "horrendous", actually good. Two big questions:

1. Where the f**k was THIS crew when Magic Knight Rayearth was being done? I can understand the OVAs and music vids CLAMP did, but for pete sake, 49 episodes of THAT could have used whoever was working on THIS. Plus Masami Obari and Toshiki Hirano, of course.

2. How exactly does this connect to Tokyo Babylon? Not just from character perspectives, but from supernatural spirit perspectives, if X has 7 members on each side, what were the demons screwing things up in TB supposed to be? Earth dragon minions?

On an unrelated note, looky there I hit 100 posts!

Edited by DuelGundam2099

a year or so ago i bought a Senjougahara Hitagi figure (the one with staplers, scissors and whatnot falling out of her skirt) because i thought it was an interesting piece despite now knowing what anime series she was from (i do that a lot).

that was that until recently a colleague lent me her Bakemonogatari discs, and i was blown away! i like arthouse films so i guess i found this to be the anime equivalent. plus Hitagi reminded me of a college gf. now i gotta buy myself a copy and pay my respects to this anime.

Stuff I've watched in the last few months. Since about January I'd say:

Robotech/Macross TV show. (I skipped southern cross and parts of New Generation)

Skipped through The Sentinals. Skipped through Robotech the movie.

DYRL

Macross +

Macross Zero

Transformer G1 cartoon TV show (Finished season 1 and working through 2. The art was actually pretty amazing on this show.)

Gunbuster Movie. (The original 4-5 episodes as one movie. Pretty stunning movie in terms of emotional impact and art.)

Getter Robo Armageddon. (Had a blast watching this. Just pure fun from top to bottom. I hope somebody works this IP soon.)

The Big O Complete series. Hadn't seen this in about a decade and didn't remember the ending too well.

Armored Trooper Votoms (working through this slowly, but really enjoying how un-anime like it really is.)

I will watch those ones below.

Utapri season 2

Oreimo season 2

Yamato 2199

RDG Red Data Girl

Railgun

Majestic Prince

Space Brothers

Golgo 13 (re-broadcasting)

Fist of the North Star (re-broadcasting)

Working'!! season 2 (re-broadcasting)

Space Cobra (re-broadcasting)

Tensai Bakabon (re-broadcasting)

Tom and Jerry (re-broadcasting)

I wonder if I can catch up with all of them...

Panzer Vor!

Crunchyroll has both of them on their website now.

That anime has got many fans; not only anime fans but plamodel fans and military fans.

Finally, A real tank appeared in the festival in Oarai, the city the school is located in the anime.

The all night screening of all episodes of the anime had been held in Mito city, and some fans went to Oarai after that. So enthusiastic they were.

P.S.

The overnight screening in Mito to the festival in Oarai. From 6:30, you know this shop and the other ones, especially that hotel from 7:22.

http://youtu.be/AbSaFnpwO54

Edited by antibiotictab

That anime has got many fans; not only anime fans but plamodel fans and military fans.

Finally, A real tank appeared in the festival in Oarai, the city the school is located in the anime.

The all night screening of all episodes of the anime had been held in Mito city, and some fans went to Oarai after that. So enthusiastic they were.

It's a bit of a phenomenon for sure. I was myself very surprised when I kept watching it after the first couple of episodes. Normally I don't go for this kind of series at all. Must have been the old WWII geek in me.

I am up to episode 20 in X. WOW, I did not expect CLAMP of all people to make an anime that is actually pretty solid. I cannot think of a legit complaint although this series could have had some more action in it. Eps 15 and 16 FINALLY connect it to Tokyo Babylon.... Which still makes me wonder what exactly Subaru was fighting at the time. On that note, why the hell does every guy in this series have such gigantic shoulders? :huh:

I also watched some short film people have been gushing over called Little Witch Academia................. This was horrendous. I will give it credit for a nice first two minutes, the art style, and creature designs, but good lord was this annoying as hell. The characters are either all (ALL AS IN ALL OF THEM) extremely obnoxious, extremely stupid, extremely mopey, or extremely cruel (usually in some combo) and the comedy was flat to say the least. Remember when I said Casshern Sins was one of the worst anime I'd ever seen? I softened up some as I let it sink in. This probably won't get that, so I can say this is one of the worst anime I have ever seen. To think this is from the same people that made Inferno Cop.

Finished X a couple days ago. Very well done series! I also finally got to watch the Nadia movie, way better than the series ever tried by FAR, much like with Nadesico.

Now you're just trolling. Enjoy your Fudgy.

Edited by Keith

I just finished watching the first episode of Gargantia. It was 1000 times better than Majestic Prince's first episode!

Really liked the first episode too. Not the most original premise, but well presented story nonetheless and boy is it pretty. The animation is very fluid for a TV series and the colour palette is astonishing.

I'm just trying to figure out how the hell Gargantia went by unnoticed by me for so long. For months I saw a couple of things for both Majestic Prince and Valvrave, yet Gargantia managed to sneak by me until just before it started airing.

If what I heard is true then it is because the director supposedly has a habit of making sad endings and that's why nobody gave a flying fecal mound about it.

No, you are from the bizarro universe where the Nadia movie is considered a qualiy production.

It's not like your reasoning is any better. It's obvious that other people noticed Gargantia since there are people talking about it on other forums. I was being specific to myself, not others, so I don't see how you can answer for everyone else.

Well.... That is what I thought.... I wonder if the director really is a sad ending spammer though.

Earlier I watched the first episode of Majestic Prince just to see what everyone was yammering about. Good action but way too much fluff? Yep, pretty much, I can also tell Pinkie's going to get annoying. I also started watching the mythical anime that is Trigun and got up to the first 6 eps. I have to say.... Good action, but not interesting, what do people see in this exactly?

Reading the Pacific Rim thread has gotten me into watching Evangelion. I'm about 5 episodes into the original series. Should I keep going, or track down the rebuild movies?

I'd start with the original and its movies first if you want to get the best explaination of the overall plot at this point. It may also put things that happen in the Rebuild movies in a different context with that prior knowledge. Be mindful of your sanity throughout it, though. :lol:

Edited by Einherjar

Reading the Pacific Rim thread has gotten me into watching Evangelion. I'm about 5 episodes into the original series. Should I keep going, or track down the rebuild movies?

Where do you get Eva from Pacific Rim? Everything I've seen about that movie is completely Godannar!

Where do you get Eva from Pacific Rim? Everything I've seen about that movie is completely Godannar!

When I checked out the trailer, there was another youtube video that mashed up PR & Eva. That whole "To fight monsters, we created monsters" bit. Thanks for the advice, I'll stick with streaming the original series (1 episode during breakfast), then see where it goes from there. Like I said, I'm not far in - but I'm liking that the characters are all flawed.

Edited by Kelsain

When I checked out the trailer, there was another youtube video that mashed up PR & Eva. That whole "To fight monsters, we created monsters" bit. Thanks for the advice, I'll stick with streaming the original series (1 episode during breakfast), then see where it goes from there. Like I said, I'm not far in - but I'm liking that the characters are all flawed.

You may not like 'em all so much by the end... just sayin'. ;)