• 2 weeks later...

A few months ago this old girl joined the garage. Nothing special by U.S standards but only 200 or so made it on the roads down here in Australia and according to the VIN mine is  1 of 7 in this colour combination. 

I have been driving it

Since September and I still haven't seen another one!.

20231027_063921.jpg

And now its in my hands.. at last!

1969 Caprice,  Factory 427, hideaway headlights and AC.     Its been slumbering for some time and I've got some work ahead of me.     

image000000(222).jpg.fda80ddb2fdeac4ac736c605a9ddebd0.jpg  

image000000(218).jpg.b2c3ac8ecc29fc8a6c82e2c12cf7f649.jpg

Big Motor.. Tiny Air cleaner.... lol    smooth movie Genius   Gone!

image000000(224).jpg.251f82a749163ea4ddf74f6d43067197.jpg

27 minutes ago, Return To Kit Form said:

That a sweet looking luxobarge youve got there! Any plans? 

Several things actually.    I am the 2nd owner as the car belonged to my grandfather.    Mileage is suspect,  but I have paperwork so the Odo might be more correct then I think.   Short term is to give it a once over and repair or replace the things that need addressing,  luckily most of the parts from the Impala will work on this,  with the Caprice specific parts being harder to locate.     Eventually the car will be repainted back to its original factory colors.. which was Dusk Blue,  with a Blue or White Vinyl Roof (still looking at build codes on it to be certain)

Gramps had abit of a lead foot and the motor was reworked in the 90s,   this car is no slouch considering its the same motor found in the Camaro and Vette of the time period.

On 1/5/2024 at 6:05 PM, ErikElvis said:

That’s awesome stampeed!  I’d def cruise in that

i picked this up a week or so ago  

IMG_2410.jpeg

Nice,  I'd love to find a Firehawk WS6 that was not beat all to hell,  these cars had the snot beat out of them,  and then were left to rot.    

I've been doing alot of reading to try and bridge the gap on what I need to know about vintage GM.   I am a Mopar guy,  but with that Caprice I need to learn up real quick.

Edited by Stampeed Valkyrie

On 1/7/2024 at 2:45 PM, Stampeed Valkyrie said:

Nice,  I'd love to find a Firehawk WS6 that was not beat all to hell,  these cars had the snot beat out of them,  and then were left to rot.    

I've been doing alot of reading to try and bridge the gap on what I need to know about vintage GM.   I am a Mopar guy,  but with that Caprice I need to learn up real quick.

Yeah I totaled my 02 sunset orange SS 7 or 8 years ago. Missed that car. Really wanted another orange one but good luck finding one. 

22 hours ago, derex3592 said:

@ErikElvis - NICE! I had a white 2001 SS with low mileage. I was the 2nd owner. It was mint. Came from the factory with NO traction control...LOL...good times. Just not in the rain. Haha! 

Carfax shows like 6 owners on this thing but only had 2k miles up to about 10 years ago. Now it’s up to 14k

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 1/2/2024 at 9:39 PM, Return To Kit Form said:

A few months ago this old girl joined the garage. Nothing special by U.S standards but only 200 or so made it on the roads down here in Australia and according to the VIN mine is  1 of 7 in this colour combination. 

I have been driving it

Since September and I still haven't seen another one!.

20231027_063921.jpg

12 days after my post I killed the car

Totally gutted  considering I wasn't being an idiot. 

IMG_5304002.jpg.a4f133ec198dce8265dfde1bbc03e721.jpgIMG_5307.jpg.ec69c084fda303a5074848d21030b561.jpgIMG_5308003.jpg.f089eef6c0141e16e373e5d231e31e72.jpgIMG_5305.jpg.6f32c26ceb55bd847fc6153558173402.jpgIMG_5306.jpg.44f8ee13fb44c76dbf76e6d6f94c55cd.jpgIMG_5304002.jpg.0a2aea30c2e7e2cee3c5cdedaddf69d1.jpg

2 hours ago, Return To Kit Form said:

12 days after my post I killed the car

Totally gutted  considering I wasn't being an idiot. 

IMG_5304002.jpg.a4f133ec198dce8265dfde1bbc03e721.jpgIMG_5307.jpg.ec69c084fda303a5074848d21030b561.jpgIMG_5308003.jpg.f089eef6c0141e16e373e5d231e31e72.jpgIMG_5305.jpg.6f32c26ceb55bd847fc6153558173402.jpgIMG_5306.jpg.44f8ee13fb44c76dbf76e6d6f94c55cd.jpgIMG_5304002.jpg.0a2aea30c2e7e2cee3c5cdedaddf69d1.jpg

Yikes it looks to be a total write off. Sorry to hear this.

I don't recall if I asked this one before... but now that it's on the brink of production, this thought keeps nagging at me.

You guys probably remember this reveal from about a year ago of the MY24 Dodge Charger Daytona SRT BEV.  It's the first of a whole new platform (and series of platforms) from the post-merger FCA and Groupe PSA.  One of the most divisive features among the design team was, well, this...

In a bid to appeal to more traditional muscle car enthusiasts, the electric Dodge Charger's going to have a simulated engine sound.  

I know there's definitely a lot of resistance ot the idea of EVs as potential muscle cars, even if 900hp is within reach for the higher-end systems like the Banshee variant.  Would the simulated engine noise and potentially simulated automatic/manual shift behavior make an electric muscle car more appealing?

(NGL, I'm personally in the camp that thinks the simulated engine noise is a bit silly...)

My work vehicle is electric so I've been adapting to the new way of driving for a little bit now. I think fake engine noise and fake transmission shifts is akin to Henry Ford deciding that the Model T needed to sound like a horse and occasionally blast horse poop smell into the cabin. I love old school hot rods and will always have a soft spot for the notes of certain engines' exhaust but it's a different thing from an electric car. It doesn't make sense to make an electric car feel like something it's not. I hope there's always a vibrant hobbyist scene for combustion motors going forward but I don't see that crowd being swayed by artifice. 

That said, the whole world is grappling with a transition that many consumers are weary of so I understand and sympathize with manufacturers trying to figure out how to get through this transitional period that will likely last more than a decade. They have to try it all. For manufacturers whose core demographics are more into muscle cars and off-roading (MOPAR), this is very scary times. If I were them, I'd be leaning really hard into hybrid drivetrains right now. Muscle cars with "E-launch" and "E-cruise" that make them faster off the line and get more MPG. Maybe they've been doing that already, I haven't been keeping up. 

EDIT - I think that Daytona electric car looks really nice.

Edited by jenius

3 hours ago, jenius said:

That said, the whole world is grappling with a transition that many consumers are weary of so I understand and sympathize with manufacturers trying to figure out how to get through this transitional period that will likely last more than a decade.

I’m really curious about how things are gonna go. Here in C.A. we’re supposed to have only electric vehicles sold brand new in just a little over a decade. I’ve seen a more and more places slowly adding charging stations like malls and some work places. A lot of people currently have electric vehicles, but most still have gas and hybrids. 
I think the biggest fear for people is the battery charge on the vehicles. I moved to Crestline and when I’ve talked to people about them they’re very hesitant up here. There’s a lot of stories about how the batteries have charging issues during winter weather and it does get pretty cold up here occasionally. Others are worried the infrastructure won’t be set up fully in a decade. It’s definitely going to get interesting for better or worse 

@Return To Kit Form  Man that is terrible.    Even worse when its no fault of your own.    

@Seto Kaiba  I don't foresee this being a win for Dodge.   The sound it makes is laughable and unnecessary,  if your gonna make an EV make it an EV.     I spent last summer at several east coast drag strips watching stripped teslas blow the doors off other cars.     There is interest, by some but I'll pass. 

My charger turns 55 this year.. and its still going strong..   Where will this one be in 55 years? 

On 2/4/2024 at 3:47 PM, jenius said:

Oh no! Glad you're okay, that looks like the kind of accident that can hurt.

On 2/4/2024 at 5:44 PM, MKT said:

Yikes it looks to be a total write off. Sorry to hear this.

Thanks mate. She kept me safe and I got out without a scratch. Really lucky considering I crossed and recrossed three lanes of traffic and freeway speeds going backwards.

@Return To Kit Form  Totally sucks! My second car was a '97 Mustang GT convertible. Yours looked pretty sweet before the crash.

@Seto Kaiba It looks like we'll see some production news on the Dodge EV very early next month. I'm excited for it as well as its the first EV I've seen that doesn't look like a station wagon.

https://www.motor1.com/news/707226/new-dodge-charger-daytona-debut-march-5/

Edited by TangledThorns

On 2/4/2024 at 1:25 PM, Seto Kaiba said:

I don't recall if I asked this one before... but now that it's on the brink of production, this thought keeps nagging at me.

You guys probably remember this reveal from about a year ago of the MY24 Dodge Charger Daytona SRT BEV.  It's the first of a whole new platform (and series of platforms) from the post-merger FCA and Groupe PSA.  One of the most divisive features among the design team was, well, this...

In a bid to appeal to more traditional muscle car enthusiasts, the electric Dodge Charger's going to have a simulated engine sound.  

I know there's definitely a lot of resistance ot the idea of EVs as potential muscle cars, even if 900hp is within reach for the higher-end systems like the Banshee variant.  Would the simulated engine noise and potentially simulated automatic/manual shift behavior make an electric muscle car more appealing?

(NGL, I'm personally in the camp that thinks the simulated engine noise is a bit silly...)

Why pay for that feature? Just plug in an electric vacuum to the car and duct tape it to the rear bumper. You'd get about the same effect. :p

Got some buffing done on the new to me Camaro. I bought online and had it shipped. Claimed it had near museum quality paint. Damn thing was swirl marked to hell. Got the front bumper and rear spoiler done today. Hopefully get more done tomorrow and eventually ceramic coat and clear bra the front. 

• 3 weeks later...

My new 2024 AWD Jaguar F-Type 75 in Carpathian Grey after XPEL Stealth PPF, window tint and ceramic coat installed. Total cost was about $7300 USD.

Was looking at a C8 Corvette for several months but decided on the F-Type as it has a better warranty and AWD for traction in case out driving it in sudden snow. Plus I think the F-Type looks better than a C8 too  😎

Before XPEL Stealth PPF installed.

e84e8a9f-10de-406e-8f8d-24c110459937.jpg.d2194869d27465fed3ea1aacc956e519.jpg

After XPEL Stealth PPF installed.

PXL_20240301_172244123.jpg.26cd2c7f0a7437017d63ac656d35aa77.jpgPXL_20240301_172253908.jpg.70bfa8b6529b8695e27bcc58e3aafbf0.jpgPXL_20240301_172323540.jpg.d85746f39da5d77a63a29dc5ebb90229.jpg

• 2 weeks later...