As a Vette guy (owned a 94, and an 07 Z-06), I agree. What you pay for with the Vette is an astonishing engine and that good ole American "I got a Vette and I'm cooler than you are buddy" attitude. Everything else is marginal to say the least. I never had any real problems with either car other than the sky high cost of maintenance. But that's gonna be the same with any high end sports car. All that being said --- that new Jag coupe is in my opinion the absolute best looking car on the road right now. :wub: And the new Vette...weeeell....not so much. :unsure:. Wish I had kept "Blackie" now ..as my GF lovingly named her. :mellow:

post-11393-0-33608600-1411687531_thumb.jpg

Edited by derex3592

Hehe, the irony of the double standards are not lost on me. After all; once upon a time, weren't cars from across the pond beloved and hailed for all their idiosyncrasies, warts and all? Weren't British sports cars supposed to be frail and leaky? Weren't Italian cars supposed to be finicky and terribly expensive to repair? And weren't German sports cars only truly worthy of acclaim when they were actively trying to kill you? :p

I'm not a huge fan of Corvettes, or GMs in general, but I have to concede there is no better car in terms of bang for your buck. European reviewers are stuck saying the vette is "not quite as good as the 911" or "doesn't really have the same fit and finish as the Jaguar F-Type." But even in Europe, the car is far cheaper than any of its direct competition, and in America, it's significantly cheaper than all of its competition. And that's just the new car. The C6 is nowhere near as good as the C7, but you can have one for $20,000! That's less than a new Mustang, it's less than most family sedans, but it's still a 400hp sports car with low weight and amazing balance, and it's really not all that badly appointed for a Chevy.

And none of this is to mention the insanely low price of keeping the car maintained. It is, after all, just a Chevy. Replacement parts are cheap, and aftermarket bolt-ons are nearly so. Most high-end sports cars, you have to ask not only if you can afford the sticker, but if you can afford the upkeep. With the Corvette, if your pockets are deep enough to pay for the car, they're plenty full of cash to keep it running. For example, an OE-equivalent clutch kit for a C6 costs $400. The Honda S2000's clutch kit is $600, and the 350Z's is $500. The Acura NSX clutch kit is $2000. The clutch for a Porsche is insanely expensive, and good luck if your PDK's clutch assembly fails. That's just one example.

Myself, I'm more of a Mopar guy when it comes to American cars. While everyone is drooling over their Chevelles and Impalas, I'm lusting after a 426 Barracuda. And more Jeeps. I need me some more Grand Cherokee. I also like vintage Nissan. Pre-Renault. Nissan really is the Chrysler of the Japanese auto industry. I am selling my 240SX, though. Can't justify a canyon carver in a place where there are no canyons. Thinking about an SC400, but maybe I should just save up and buy a C6.

Nah, that'd eat too much into my model kit budget.

The Pontiac Aztek is undoubtedly one of the worst cars ever conceived, but it's become a TV icon - thanks to the critically acclaimed series Breaking Bad and its antihero protagonist Walter White. Last year, one of three Azteks used in the series was put on auction. Sure, it was a crash vehicle that's been totaled, but hey - it's Breaking Bad. What fan wouldn't want a piece of Walter White memorabilia?

Walter White's Pontiac Aztek Can Menace Your Driveway in Breaking Bad Prop Auction

Lot 20 of 513: Walter White's Pontiac Aztek - Current Price: $7,800

F-Type vs Corvette - tough one, as I like them both.

Have not driven any of them, so I can only really judge the aesthetics. Being a biased Jag driver I would have to give the nod to the F-Type.

There is something about the modern and clean design style of Ian Callum that clicks with me.

So I guess I'm the only one here who thinks the C7 corvette is a great looking car? IMO it's the first Corvette to look legitimately cool and not like a pile of awkward crap since the mid 70's.

No, I think the C7 is fantastic looking. I rubberneck every time I see one, which is the only Corvette I can say that about. When it was first announced, I saw a lot of Ferrari F12 Berlinetta, but the more I see it on the road, the more the front end looks like a Viper. From the side, it's all Corvette, but it's Corvette-Done-Right.

I also have to appreciate that they made it a targa-top hatchback. Those are aesthetics I also enjoy.

I remember when the C7 was introduced, my initial reaction was: I know someone at Dodge just went 'Oh, no these muh fu**as did-ent!'

I+could+use+some+more+_8625e49a7152a6d2c

Sure, when it comes to aesthetics and design trends in the auto industry pretty much all the kids are copying off each others' desks--but Chevy has usually been the most brazen with it, of late...

*snip*

I need me some more Grand Cherokee.

True story, I used to work for (Daimler) Chrysler from '97 to '99 as an Technician II (fancy title for assembly line worker) building the Jeep Grand Cherokee at Detroit's Jefferson North Assembly plant.

While for the most part I think they're nice looking SUV's, I don't think I'd ever buy one. I still have nightmares of nights when the assembly line ran for quantity, building 72 cars per hour.

*shudders*

-b.

If Chrysler had spent $10 more per ZJ on quality solder and wiring, it'd have cost them $10,000,000 and fixed a problem nobody would notice until the vehicle was out of production and warranty. So they didn't. Which is why the VIC in my minty 86,000 mile Orvis Edition just died.

With that said, I've owned 4 ZJs, and a buddy's had a WJ, and having worked on the bunch of them, the assembly issues don't amount to much compared to a lot of other vehicles I've had. The design and engineering money was enough to take them a long way, especially since the ZJ's engineering was mostly done by AMC-Jeep, with only electronics and suspension tuning left to Chrysler, and even then they farmed out the suspension tuning to a pair of guys who worked at Lotus, and spent a good 2 years working that out in Arizona.

Of course, I still have nightmares of a lot of the painful reassembly I've had to perform on my Jeeps. Still, interesting to note you worked on the line. You may have had a hand in building my Laredo, Orvis, and 5.9 Limited. That'd be some cool Six Degrees-type stuff.

Edited by SchizophrenicMC

^ Re: Six Degrees of separation that would be pretty cool. I wasn't there for the Orvis but I absolutely helped build the Laredo's of those model years along w/ the 5.9 (I worked on the engine trim line, and trying to get parts into that engine were a PITA, just so cramped).

-b.

Since we're talking Jeeps:

I bought my first Jeep used, a 2008 KK sport in Black. Loved that thing. Then my girlfriend (now my wife) almost immediately claimed it as her own. So I bought a 2010 Grand Cherokee Laredo AWD and loved every minute of the time I had it... until I got my '14 Ram Sport. :) Now my wife complains the 3.07 diffs in her WK don't "go fast" like her 3.73 diff KK she stole from me back in 2010. LOL.

We've been a Jeep family for a long while now, it all started with a 2000 4.7 Grand Cherokee my dad bought to lift and go off road with.At one point all five of us owned a Jeep in some shape or form, now I'm the odd one out with my Ram. At least it is still a 4x4?

Growing up in the "Motor City" of Ontario, I'd love to get my hands on a vette, any model. I just don't have the garage space anymore!

Edited by modelglue

I've owned 4 ZJs: a 1997 Laredo, a 1996 Limited, a 1997 Orvis Edition, and a 1998 5.9 Limited. The Laredo was the only 6-cylinder of the bunch, everything else has been 8-pot. Kanedas Bike isn't kidding when he says it's cramped. At least the Niners had e-fans. For a Dodge engine, there sure are a bunch of Jeep specific parts to make it fit, including ZJ-specific transmission castings that locate the starter on the passenger side, rather than the driver side, as on Dodge versions. (This requirement is why the later 545RFE came with provisions for a starter on either side)

Fun fact: AMC intended the ZJ to replace the XJ, and when Chrysler picked up AMC, they decided to make it replace the FSJ instead. As a result, Chrysler wanted to give it a V8 option, which was initially supposed to be the in-development PowerTech 4.7l. Two years before the ZJ entered production, it became apparent the PowerTech was still way off from being done, so they changed directions and began developing the powertrain for the nearly-complete LA-based Magnum V8s. The initial ZJ brief was put out in 1983, so a finished product could be ready by 1990, at the end of the XJ's slotted life. Various snags meant by 1987, when Chrysler bought AMC, the ZJ's chassis and design were the only things that had been completed.

The ZJ design is based on the 1987 XJC Concept, designed by none other than Larry Shinoda, famous for designing the Corvette Stingray and Mustang Boss 302.

One of my goals in life is to gather the space and money to build my ideal collection of ZJs: 1993 Laredo 5-speed, 1993 Grand Wagoneer, 1997 Orvis Edition, 1997 Orvis Edition Driftwood Satin, 1997 TSi, 1998 5.9 Limited, 1997 Laredo (for heavy offroad modification). A WJ Overland would be nice, and I'd rock both SRT8s.

The XJ is still my favourite of the family. The two door sport for example caught my eye as a teen when we had the Mustangs and firebirds roaming the streets. That says alot about the rough appeal. The product is so popular now that the niche appeal is somewhat depleted, so I can appreciate your desire to own those "classics".

On the srt 8... My dad had a 2008 that was modified up to a point where the 6.1 would hypothetically turn out 500 hp. Driving it felt like getting kicked in the stomach when you stomped on it. Highly recommended. He kept that ride for 5 years... A record for him who went through new vehicles every 2 on average. That is just testament to the awesomeness!

I'd like the XJ more if it had more powerful engine options or if the manual transmission was more common, and if the unibody wasn't so delicate on it. Running with doors off is a serious reduction in structure on the XJ. I'm used to my ZJ, where the chassis is so stiff they managed to get a really good ride out of twin solid axles, and where the design specifically went out of its way to remain totally structurally sound without the doors attached. I'm also used to having a lot of V8 under the hood.

In SRT news, Chrysler has recently trademarked the name, Trackhawk. I don't think they'd axe the Jeep SRT name for the sake of Trackhawk (in keeping with Trailhawk models) and the Charger Hellcat is a thing too now, so who else is hoping for a Hellcat-powered 707hp Grand Cherokee?

Some better news for WRC fans. It's just a shame that the wait will be a couple years.

http://www.auto123.com/en/racing-news/rally-2017-rules-to-change-the-face-of-world-rally-championship?artid=169583

British motorsport publication Autosport has learned that the FIA has the firm intention of giving a huge boost to the World Rally Championship with ground breaking technical rules.

Autosport wrote that WRC Commission president Carlos Barbosa admitted that the FIA is determined to reinvigorate the sport's spectacle with the next generation of WRC cars in 2017.

Barbosa said the new rules would need to be written before the end of 2014.

He added that the current WRC cars all look the same and major changes are needed.

Sources have suggested there will be significant change in 2017 both in the size of cars - potentially moving from the current segment-B cars up to segment-D.

The engine would also be changed, with the rules centred on controlling fuel flow to allow manufacturers to, within reason, run whatever engine they prefer.

Remember that in March Toyota’s TMG tested a hybrid powered Yaris.

Lamborghini recently unveiled their hybrid supercar: the Asterion LPI910-4. The car is powered by a 5.2 liter V10 mated with three electric motors, giving a combined output of 910 bhp. The result is a 0-60 acceleration of 3.0 seconds and a top speed of 199 mph. It can also run solely on the electric motors for up to 31 miles and a top speed of 78 mph.

2014-Lamborghini-Asterion-LPI-910-4-Stat

2014-Lamborghini-Asterion-LPI-910-4-Inte

2014 Lamborghini Asterion LPI910-4

*snip*

*snip*

I hadn't watched those vids before. That Judge front fascia is actually pretty da*n sweet.

Lamborghini recently unveiled their hybrid supercar: the Asterion LPI910-4. The car is powered by a 5.2 liter V10 mated with three electric motors, giving a combined output of 910 bhp. The result is a 0-60 acceleration of 3.0 seconds and a top speed of 199 mph. It can also run solely on the electric motors for up to 31 miles and a top speed of 78 mph.

Is it just me, or does that Asterion like what a modern take on the Pantera shoulda/coulda/woulda looked like?

Aw, Godda**it. :(

Hot, do want.

Damn straight. All rise for The Judge!

6T9 GTO The Judge

Hang on, didn't Lamborghini say around the tail end of the 90s, that they'd never use anything but naturally aspirated engines to power their cars, because it's a statement about the purity and DNA of the Lamborghini supercar?

Lamborghini since the VW AG buyout just doesn't have the same soul. Just like Nissan post-Renault.

Hang on, didn't Lamborghini say around the tail end of the 90s, that they'd never use anything but naturally aspirated engines to power their cars, because it's a statement about the purity and DNA of the Lamborghini supercar?

Lamborghini since the VW AG buyout just doesn't have the same soul. Just like Nissan post-Renault.

People did a lot of stupid things in the 90's. just look at zubaz and the macarena