I glanced over some of the Roush Performance site, particularly the Stage 2 info. Hey, if you're gonna upgrade, may as well go all out, right?

Prices "starting at $8,995." So let me get this straight. Forkin' over 9-grand or more--in addition to what you've already paid for the car--will get you: a body kit; some special badging and decals; 15 HP and 10 lb/ft? Did I see that right? You f***ing kiddin' me? :blink:

ed: "but it comes with a warranty..." Whathefu*kever.

Edited by reddsun1

Yeah, I don't dig big-name upgrades. They're for people with more money than sense. Not to mention I'm a built-not-bought kind of guy.

On the other hand, Ford Racing sells some kits for the Focus ST, for like $900, that adds like +70whp and +90wtq or some figure I'm misquoting from my ST-owner cousin. And that does maintain the factory warranty.

Generally, I like the new Mustang. I think it's finally worth buying. I'm just sad the engineers couldn't meet their weight goals.

I'm hoping (vainly) that they start it in the $50k range. The Z/28 is just overpriced, and even the Hellcats are less than $70k. Leave that price range for the inevitable GT500. But I'm not a marketing exec at Ford, so I have no idea what they'll do for price.

I just know I'm really pleased that they actually made the Voodoo a production reality.

My favorite part of the GT350 is the flat plane crank. Rumor is that engine will freely rev to 8000. That's not bad for a big American V8.

In personal car news, I've given up on the engine and EFI management system that currently find themselves in my 240SX. Screw trying to get this Nissan system to work, I'm gonna tear it all down and go standalone.

Yeah I bet it will be around 70K. The current GT fully loaded runs mid 50's to low 60's, so I bet the GT350 will start somewhere more than that. The GT500 will probably have around 700 HP so I expect it will be near 90K.

Edited by Golden Arms

I just loaded a GT Premium Convertible (the most expensive current model) to the brim, including the expensive Ruby Red paint, and it hit $49,780.

I'm hoping for a base price on the GT350 around 50k, with options driving it into the 60s. I expect the GT500 will start in the low 70s. Nobody is going to pay 90 grand for an S550. As technically good as it is, it doesn't have enough draw to make wealthy old people buy it for that much, and it's not a GT-R so young guns aren't going to buy it for 90 either. Ford's marketing department is smart. They specifically set the price for the Ecoboost to undercut the Scion FR-S to maximize on that market. No way would they overprice the Shelby models.

I hope your right on the pricing. I figured that a base 350 would at least start at low to mid 50's since a GT premium would approach 50K. Then after options your looking mid 60's . I'd love to score a GT, GT350 or a new Vette sometime next year. Mid 60's would be a little more than I would be willing to spend on a car. So maybe back to looking at the GT.

Edited by Golden Arms

The GT can't break 50 grand, even with every option added, as a convertible. I'm guessing the GT350 will start out at $52-55,000, based on the S550's sales direction thus far, and the GT350's market segment. From there, I expect options will push it up to the very low 60s.

The GT500 will almost certainly live in the high-60s, mid-70s range, based on the last GT500. But, with the Challenger Hellcat being a thing, it'll have to make over 700hp to be relevant.

I'm a bit lost as to who would spend $50,000 or more on a car that is still just a Mustang. It's a sport coupe with a big engine and some fancy suspension bits. It's not a sports car, and it doesn't really have any right to be. If I had $50-60k to buy a sporting car, I'd probably get a Corvette. I don't like GM, but you have to admit the bang-for-buck on a Corvette is hard to beat. If I was looking to buy a Mustang, I'd get an Ecoboost Premium with the performance package and adaptive cruise control.

Of course, it's that premium stuff that I like so much, which has added a lot of the extra weight that I'm so sad they couldn't shed. (And in all kinds of subtle ways that affect even models without all the heavy options)

I hear ya and don't really disagree. :)Two extra seats mean a great deal for insurance purposes. Also means you can get a third passenger in the car or extra cargo room. The GT500's and cobra's weren't that far behind the Vette performance wise. With the updated suspension I bet the GT500 will continue to nip at the Vettes heels in overall performance. Ford abandoned the IRS with the terminator because so many people were taking them out of the cars and replacing them with the Solid rear axle for track purposes, so they assumed people didn't want them in the cars. Now that the brand has matured I'm sure there will be other handling and suspension upgrades to the Shelby line which will keep it not that far off from the vette.

I'm with you on all of the extras, which is why I want a new car! All of the new tech and vehicle performance has me lusting for a more modern vehicle.

It's really a great time to be a fan of American made sports cars as Ford, GM and Dodge have really stepped up their games. The vette and Mustang Interiors are no longer an afterthought.

The GT500 is pretty well the maximum the SN197 chassis could withstand, and the Boss 302 was about the maximum the SN197 could handle. The S550 GT is supposed to out-handle the SN197 Boss, but the chassis is heavy and it can only take so much. It's a bit of a compromise, fitting those extra seats in, and making it cheap enough to sell near $20,000. Conversely the Corvette is purpose-built to be a sports car. There's more to play with. I don't really see the GT500 competing with the Corvette. They're entirely different approaches to only vaguely similar things.

I have to agree about American cars though. Ever since they went bankrupt, they've really stepped it up a notch. For the first time ever, I can name multiple American cars in a given model year I would buy. Quality and engineering have improved, no doubt thanks to massive corporate restructuring and union labor renegotiation. The Fusion we have is a cut above the one that left the year before it, and my cousin's Focus ST is both fun and nice to be in. (His younger brother had an 03 Focus for awhile- it was not nearly as nice)

My lust for modern extras has led me to a lot of the modifications I'm planning for my cars. I'm going to add auto-climate to the 240 at some point, and I'm waiting patiently for quality radio manufacturers to catch up to the Chinese and start making Android-powered head units because infotainment is so nice. Of course, every car I've owned over the past 2 and a half years, I've installed stereos with bluetooth hands-free and audio streaming. I hate what's on the radio, but I also hate plugging things into my stereo and having to keep a separate device updated with my music. Bluetooth is super cool.

The GT500 is pretty well the maximum the SN197 chassis could withstand, and the Boss 302 was about the maximum the SN197 could handle. The S550 GT is supposed to out-handle the SN197 Boss, but the chassis is heavy and it can only take so much. It's a bit of a compromise, fitting those extra seats in, and making it cheap enough to sell near $20,000. Conversely the Corvette is purpose-built to be a sports car. There's more to play with. I don't really see the GT500 competing with the Corvette. They're entirely different approaches to only vaguely similar things.

I have to agree about American cars though. Ever since they went bankrupt, they've really stepped it up a notch. For the first time ever, I can name multiple American cars in a given model year I would buy. Quality and engineering have improved, no doubt thanks to massive corporate restructuring and union labor renegotiation. The Fusion we have is a cut above the one that left the year before it, and my cousin's Focus ST is both fun and nice to be in. (His younger brother had an 03 Focus for awhile- it was not nearly as nice)

My lust for modern extras has led me to a lot of the modifications I'm planning for my cars. I'm going to add auto-climate to the 240 at some point, and I'm waiting patiently for quality radio manufacturers to catch up to the Chinese and start making Android-powered head units because infotainment is so nice. Of course, every car I've owned over the past 2 and a half years, I've installed stereos with bluetooth hands-free and audio streaming. I hate what's on the radio, but I also hate plugging things into my stereo and having to keep a separate device updated with my music. Bluetooth is super cool.

Same position here on American cars lately. They really have improved in quality and performance overall, especially compare to the stuff from the 1980s to late '90s. Toyota, Mazda, Mitsubishi, and Honda did well back then, but looks like they all ran into their bag of issues now. :( Though I usually prefer to own Japanese cars, like my current Mazdaspeed3, I actually have a Dodge Challenger R/T as well. No issues with the Dodge for the last two years. Consumer Reports will probably disagree with me. Also, I won't mind replacing my Mazda with a Ford Focus ST or RS when the time comes.

Of all the Japanese brands right now, Mazda's remained consistent with their design and build quality. Toyotas have become bland in styling over the past couple of decades (except maybe for the GT 86 and some Lexus models). Honda dropped the ball with their current generation Civic. Nissans have not been appealing outside of the GT-R and the 370Z, and they all look like Renaults now because of the current management. Mitsubishi is on life support; I feel bad for anyone who just bought a Mirage.

Speaking of Mazda, check this out.

Of all the Japanese brands right now, Mazda's remained consistent with their design and build quality. Toyotas have become bland in styling over the past couple of decades (except maybe for the GT 86 and some Lexus models). Honda dropped the ball with their current generation Civic. Nissans have not been appealing outside of the GT-R and the 370Z, and they all look like Renaults now because of the current management. Mitsubishi is on life support; I feel bad for anyone who just bought a Mirage.

Speaking of Mazda, check this out.

I agree about Mazda. Of all the Japanese brands, the only one I'd buy right now is a Mazda- though I'm not excited about the too-mean-looking 2016 Miata. I'm historically a huge Nissan guy, but I won't touch any Nissan after the Renault buyout. Even the 370Z and GT-R are entirely unappealing to me. Too big, too heavy, too ugly. Not to mention, while the VG30 was a fantastic sounding engine in the 300ZX models, the VQ series engine just sounds drony. And Toyotas have gone bland and Hondas have gone too far up-market.

Mitsubishi has always been junk. It's finally catching up them.

I agree about Mazda. Of all the Japanese brands, the only one I'd buy right now is a Mazda- though I'm not excited about the too-mean-looking 2016 Miata. I'm historically a huge Nissan guy, but I won't touch any Nissan after the Renault buyout. Even the 370Z and GT-R are entirely unappealing to me. Too big, too heavy, too ugly. Not to mention, while the VG30 was a fantastic sounding engine in the 300ZX models, the VQ series engine just sounds drony. And Toyotas have gone bland and Hondas have gone too far up-market.

Mitsubishi has always been junk. It's finally catching up them.

To me, Mazda became more interesting when the partnership with Ford ended. Pretty much that's when they introduced Skyactiv and the KODO design language.

These days only Subaru and Mazda interest me. Not only are their cars more interesting, my experience at their dealerships have been better than that at Toyota, Honda, or Nissan.

My '01 Mitsubishi Mirage DE coupe was a decent car. It was reliable and comfortable but underpowered. The problem with Mitsubishi is that they have no presence. It's like they're not even trying to sell their cars. I almost purchased a Lancer Sportback back in 2009 but instead purchased a Impreza Outback Sport. Test drove an Outlander Sport last year. I liked it over the RAV4 and Rogue but it was nowhere near as good as the CX5, Forester, or XV Crosstrek.

The most brutal road rage video ever. Viewer discretion is advised.

The guy in the back was so glad to be able to make kimchi, even though he himself did not own a knife.

To me, Mazda became more interesting when the partnership with Ford ended. Pretty much that's when they introduced Skyactiv and the KODO design language.

These days only Subaru and Mazda interest me. Not only are their cars more interesting, my experience at their dealerships have been better than that at Toyota, Honda, or Nissan.

My '01 Mitsubishi Mirage DE coupe was a decent car. It was reliable and comfortable but underpowered. The problem with Mitsubishi is that they have no presence. It's like they're not even trying to sell their cars. I almost purchased a Lancer Sportback back in 2009 but instead purchased a Impreza Outback Sport. Test drove an Outlander Sport last year. I liked it over the RAV4 and Rogue but it was nowhere near as good as the CX5, Forester, or XV Crosstrek.

I tend to agree, except Mazda have always been a bit different from other makes. The whole rotary thing sets them apart, and they've tried hard to stick to the basic tenets of their philosophy, even during the Ford years. They've had a lot more interesting alternative-energy ideas than most of the competition, that's for sure, but it was pre-Ford Mazda that made the RX7 and the Miata.

I also have to agree that Mitsubishi isn't trying. They're a heavy industry manufacturer, who also build cars. They're not a carmaker. As such they've always had a tenuous grasp of that market, and they've never really been able to create worthwhile products, or market them effectively. I foresee they'll be following Suzuki's cue pretty soon, and exiting the market. I give it 7 model years, max.