Do we have weights on vehicles? NSX looks much smaller/lighter than the Ford.

We don't have weights on them, but bear in mind: the GT will be made largely of carbon fiber (potentially a full CF tub) and aluminum, and is a mid-engined RWD; the NSX has a steel space frame, an aluminum body, and carbon fiber panels, and it's got hybrid AWD.

I'm betting the NSX will be considerably cheaper than the GT, but the GT is essentially a homologation car, and will have all the necessary bits to build the foundation for a high-level race car. The NSX is a high-end sports car, and potentially a supercar, but there's no doubt: the GT is a supercar.

I'm betting the GT will be lighter, faster, and altogether more insane than the NSX. And I think that's okay. I think that's what it needs to do.

I guess I'm on the other side of that camp. I'd rather be safe, living in an area where winter conditions limit road safety. Throw in (lack of)driver awareness, overall (in)competency, and carelessness; you have a higher chance of getting bumped around on our winter roads.

Fixed. First snow day is always the scariest---see more crashes in 2 blocks then, than in 2 normal days. I never know if it's mainly due to people "forgetting" how ice works every year, or if it's due to people who've literally never been on snow before.

Fixed. First snow day is always the scariest---see more crashes in 2 blocks then, than in 2 normal days. I never know if it's mainly due to people "forgetting" how ice works every year, or if it's due to people who've literally never been on snow before.

Last winter, when Dallas iced over for a week, I was forced to drive a 1991 240SX equipped with dry-rotting summer tires on roads consisting of sheet ice (not snow, slush, or the like), because the Jeep I owned then was out of commission. Fortunately, I worked a mile from home at the time, and most of the locals were smart enough to stay off the roads. I think my store made $3,000 for the whole week. ($3,000 is typically a slow Tuesday at the store I worked at)

It came as little surprise that, while driving on a street in my neighborhood in those conditions, I spun the 240 out while gingerly throttling it in 4th gear at 10mph.

So, cars do make a difference. Of course that's an extreme case. But generally, people suck at driving, and if you throw in inclement conditions (for which people suck at preparing) you get guaranteed accidents.

Ha! Yes, that more accurately describes the point I am after, thank you. And to provide another anecdote: there is a one car wooden bridge which provides access to the city from where I live. It had not even iced yet, just a damp surface and I lost my rear end to slip. It was a scary moment which left me feeling like I had to crawl across it for now on if there was even a lick of moisture. Smacking my truck bed on a brand new RAM off galvanized barrier would have been embarassing and expensive. Now that we have two feet of snow fall I am super careful.

Edited by modelglue

my solution is making them take their own damn car.

I'm a breeder now so sadly the most exciting thing for me out of Detroit was the news about the next Q7 being simultaneously larger and smaller. It seems like everywhere I go parking is a pain in the butt so piling into cars has always been a way of life. Even when I had a Corvette it was not uncommon to have someone fetal position in the hatch.

The whole family went car shopping yesterday. Got to test drive the new mustang, really enjoyed the turbo4, but they didn't have a single stick on the lot which was pretty disappointing, I'll be going back this afternoon to talk prices, but I'm not sure I'll actually end up buying since all they seem to have a fully loaded premiums which are way over what I want to pay. My parents are looking at Lexus, either getting an RX or an NX hybrid for my mom. That NX is nice by the way; quite compact on the outside but still plenty of head/leg room inside, and the interior looks great.

It's too bad stick is becoming a lost art - especially among performance cars. So maybe a paddle shifter with a dual-clutch does quicker gear changes, but it has no soul.

As for Lexus, get an RX. The NX just hit the showrooms, so no one has any reliability ratings on it yet. My old man has a 2011 RX450h and he loves it.

I was pretty shocked the lot I went to had any 3-pedal Mustangs, let alone 3-pedal 4-cylinders. But there it was. I really enjoyed the shifter feel. Nice and positive, with a reasonable throw. The clutch was also a lot more progressive than I was expecting from a new car, and it wasn't too heavy or too light. Some attention to detail was paid there.

It's too bad stick is becoming a lost art - especially among performance cars. So maybe a paddle shifter with a dual-clutch does quicker gear changes, but it has no soul.

As for Lexus, get an RX. The NX just hit the showrooms, so no one has any reliability ratings on it yet. My old man has a 2011 RX450h and he loves it.

I totally agree! I haven't owned a car that wasn't a stick in over 20 years.