Eh... that's a bit wide of the mark, ain't it? The term "official setting" is only used in Variable Fighter Master File,

You are wrong, sir.

That terminology is used EVERYWHERE in Macross related publications.

I guess the only real question left is.. Did Michael die, or is he still alive?

That's seems to be the only lingering question and major character change between the series and the movies.

As far as the official Macross continuity set down in Macross Chronicle goes, he died... because the timeline there treats the series version of events as the true version, and the movies are something separate off in left field.

You are wrong, sir.

That terminology is used EVERYWHERE in Macross related publications.

I don't recall seeing it anywhere other than the disclaimer in the back of Variable Fighter Master File's five volumes... can you point me to some other examples then?

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I don't recall seeing it anywhere other than the disclaimer in the back of Variable Fighter Master File's five volumes... can you point me to some other examples then?

Macross Chronicle comes first to mind.

Anyhow, a more constructive approach is: the word (and concept) of '(literary) canon'* exists in Japanese, why are they NOT using that term to describe the official setting?

* using Wikipedia for its ease of conversion between similar Japanese and English articles: http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/カノン_(文芸)

Edited by sketchley

As far as the official Macross continuity set down in Macross Chronicle goes, he died... because the timeline there treats the series version of events as the true version, and the movies are something separate off in left field.

Which might have more to do with the revised Chronicle editors not wanting to have to reinvent the wheel as far as the Timeline sheets go.

Again, the "storyline" for the Crossover Live this year takes the movies as its jumping-off point. What they do next, of course, is anyone's guess.

Macross Chronicle comes first to mind.

Anyhow, a more constructive approach is: the word (and concept) of '(literary) canon'* exists in Japanese, why are they NOT using that term to describe the official setting?

Could I get a specific example or two? Like publication and page number? I really am curious about this, and my collection of post-Macross 7 is mainly of the art books and roman albums variety.

Still... like I said previously, you can call it whatever you like: "official line", "canon", you can even refuse to name it. It doesn't mean it isn't there, especially when they've consistently made a serious effort to decide how everything fits together and what the specifics of this stuff are and put in print in art books, magazine interviews, and Macross Chronicle going back as far as the original series. If they're telling us straight up what is and what ain't a part of the official, authentic Macross setting (AKA the story's "Universe"), they're telling us what is and what isn't canon. A rose by any other name...

Which might have more to do with the revised Chronicle editors not wanting to have to reinvent the wheel as far as the Timeline sheets go.

Again, the "storyline" for the Crossover Live this year takes the movies as its jumping-off point. What they do next, of course, is anyone's guess.

True, it might... or it might be that there's a consistent rationale in play going back at least as far as Macross: a Future Chronicle.

Granted, the "Crossover Live" thing used the movies... but like Macross the Musiculture, is that actually part of the official Macross chronology? It's not looking like the stage musical and concert are.

EDIT: Now if Macross Chronicle decides to include Macross 30 on the official series chronology, all bets are off due to temporal shenanigans...

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Now if Macross Chronicle decides to include Macross 30 on the official series chronology, all bets are off due to temporal shenanigans...

Not really. The way Macross 30 worked it could occur after either the tv series or the movies. And it does have a confirmed spot in the timeline too.

As for the Musiculture, I'm sure Richard could check the concert booklet but I dont see why it wouldn't be a part of the timeline (it certainly seems more legit that contradicting facts from drama albums).

Not really. The way Macross 30 worked it could occur after either the tv series or the movies. And it does have a confirmed spot in the timeline too.

As for the Musiculture, I'm sure Richard could check the concert booklet but I dont see why it wouldn't be a part of the timeline (it certainly seems more legit that contradicting facts from drama albums).

Eh? I haven't finished Macross 30 yet, but it's no mystery when it's supposed to be set. One of the first things Leon establishes is that it's 2060, and from the sound of things the dust has barely settled on the war with the Vajra in the previous year. Have they actually confirmed that yes, the events depicted in Macross 30 are part of the official Macross continuity? Just giving the date doesn't guarantee that it's actually part of the official setting's events/history. There are, after all, loads of games that aren't considered part of the official setting/chronology/canon and thus aren't on the official timeline either.

As far as the Musiculture show goes, I don't think there are any conflicts keeping it from being official setting, but that at least is a narrative... basing Crossover Live on the movies is all well and good, but it's just the framing for a live concert. Either way, I can't quite see them including it, since the timeline thus far has stuck principally to animation or titles with animation (e.g. M3 and VF-X2).

I suppose we'll know one way or the other by this time next year, when Chronicle finishes its run and we have the complete, updated version of the official Macross timeline. I'm really liking Macross 30 (I recently got a PS3 just to play it), so it wouldn't hurt my feelings even slightly to have it land on the official continuity.

As far as the Musiculture show goes, I don't think there are any conflicts keeping it from being official setting, but that at least is a narrative... basing Crossover Live on the movies is all well and good, but it's just the framing for a live concert. Either way, I can't quite see them including it, since the timeline thus far has stuck principally to animation or titles with animation (e.g. M3 and VF-X2).

I'm sorry... where has M3 shown up in the revised Timeline Sheets...? I just checked, and I didn't see them...

I'm sorry... where has M3 shown up in the revised Timeline Sheets...? I just checked, and I didn't see them...

It hasn't shown up in the revised sheets.

In the original, it was limited to extremely brief mentions on 00 and 47 (which the revised hasn't printed at the time of writing).

Could I get a specific example or two? Like publication and page number? I really am curious about this, and my collection of post-Macross 7 is mainly of the art books and roman albums variety.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: skim and scan your books for 公式設定 (sometimes only rendered as 設定).

Still... like I said previously, you can call it whatever you like: "official line", "canon", you can even refuse to name it. It doesn't mean it isn't there, especially when they've consistently made a serious effort to decide how everything fits together and what the specifics of this stuff are and put in print in art books, magazine interviews, and Macross Chronicle going back as far as the original series. If they're telling us straight up what is and what ain't a part of the official, authentic Macross setting (AKA the story's "Universe"), they're telling us what is and what isn't canon. A rose by any other name...

Who has been deciding it? Kawamori has been maintaining that each series is in a universe onto itself.

Official (formal) setting (establishment, creation, scene, configuration) also has the nuance of 'option or preference settings'.

With that last one, if one thinks of Macross as a computer, then the nuance changes to something extremely close to what Kawamori has been promoting: there's a real Macross out there, we're just seeing dramatized versions of it. In the sense that however the user "configures" their "interface" into Macross, their experience of Macross changes.

Put simply: there are numerous ways to perceive Macross, but each series has only one official way to perceive it in its context of this heretofore unseen "real" Macross world.

Ergo: official setting does not equal canon. Especially when it comes to Macross. (Believe you me, I'm as frustrated as the next guy about the implications of that when it comes to trying to make sense of how things in the different series relate to each other).

How far are you in Macross 30, Seto?

Not very... I think I'm on story mission 2-4. I've been taking my time about it, trying to get all the guild quests and fighter models and option packs as I go. Definitely makes getting the PS3 feel worth it though... I'm having a grand time. It's not my first run-in with the game's story though, the admin at the Macross MUSH I'm on got a copy, and had me help him through the menus and so on when he first got it.

Short answer: no.

Long answer: skim and scan your books for 公式設定 (sometimes only rendered as 設定).

Who has been deciding it? Kawamori has been maintaining that each series is in a universe onto itself.

Official (formal) setting (establishment, creation, scene, configuration) also has the nuance of 'option or preference settings'.

With that last one, if one thinks of Macross as a computer, then the nuance changes to something extremely close to what Kawamori has been promoting: there's a real Macross out there, we're just seeing dramatized versions of it. In the sense that however the user "configures" their "interface" into Macross, their experience of Macross changes.

Put simply: there are numerous ways to perceive Macross, but each series has only one official way to perceive it in its context of this heretofore unseen "real" Macross world.

Ergo: official setting does not equal canon. Especially when it comes to Macross. (Believe you me, I'm as frustrated as the next guy about the implications of that when it comes to trying to make sense of how things in the different series relate to each other).

Y'know, you could've just said "In the foreword"... that would've been enough. :p

Anyway... 's not the first time the creator of a series has said one thing and done something else entirely. Still, I don't think we're looking at a pair of mutually exclusive propositions. Kawamori's made it clear that he's only really concerned with the broad strokes of the story when he's dreaming up the next installment, and he and his fellow staffers have repeatedly put together beautifully detailed and comprehensive material that tells us how all the various Macross works in the official setting fit together, what happened when, and so on. Between Kawamori's position and Chronicle, we're all able to have our cake and eat it too...

So, about Machida. Did the cast and crew ever reveal anything about him since Frontier? I thought there was some potential to do something with him.

You mean that unseen bloke who killed a Vajra with a pinpoint barrier punch in Macross Frontier's 7th episode? I don't think we've had anything about him in Chronicle. At least, I don't think he's mentioned on the Episode Sheet. 'bout the only thing I can recall is that one of the manga adaptations that was made for the series replaced him with a female officer named Ariela who did get at least a little face time.