Over on the FB group Macross Fans-US, a gentleman by the name of Vincent Pang posted some Macross artwork and none of us can figure out wat this fighter is. I'm assuming it was just a one-off design, just to have something hanging around. but Gubaba also pointed out that it is in the first episode of Macross and Macross the First.

1653743_10202547371901321_2130627619_n.j

Some of the later Macross Frontier TV episodes have a living singing woman in the ending. She is showm as little more than a silhouette. Who is she - May'N?

I was looking into the "perfect memory" and that aircraft is not included.

Yeah, I'm not surprised... but the art in question appears to be from This is Animation 3: Super Dimension Fortress Macross (Part 1), page 92.

Once upon a time there was a totally awesome video of May'n pefrorming Diamond Crevasse live without, or nearly without, the music - her acting really shone there.

And now I can't find it :( even though at that time I commented on YouTube I apparently forgot to "like" and old comments can't be searched.

Would anyone please pooint me tothe video? Thanks!

Whats the Earth - range of a Monster's main cannon?

There's been no distinction between "range in the atmosphere" and "range in space" for the HWR Monster's weapons. Official trivia states a 160 kilometer (100 mile) range for the 4 x Viggers 40cm liquid-cooled cannons along the top of the Destroid and a 300+ kilometer (186 mile) range for the 2 x Raitheon LSSN-20G 3-barrel ground-to-ground missile launchers on the arms.

Not sure if this is the right section or has it been brought up before. If compare closely to the DYRL screen cap, the official VE-1, be it line art or Yamato toy, it differs alot.

Parts that are different between the DYRL on screen VE-1 and the official VE-1 are pointed out by the yellow arrows in the pic below:

- the front of the super back pack is squared off, just like the normal VF-1 Super Valkyrie, instead of the round one found in the official VE-1

- lack of side antennas on the super back pack

- the connector between the rotating dome seems to have a rear facing camera or vent

- lack of additional booster unit on top of the center thruster

- the arm pack seems to look like normal VF-1 Super Valkyrie instead of the antenna cluster found in the official VE-1

- the bottom antenna seems to at an angle and has a lot more smaller antenna attached to it

- the conformal tank/thruster on the leg have two bulged apparatus instead of one single big square box on the official VE-1

- the wingtip looks like the normal VF-1 with a few antenna rather than the bulge found in the official VE-1

With so many differences found, I wonder the on screen VE-1 is really the 'VE-1'. Could it be the VEFR-1 with super pack instead?

post-731-0-89795300-1394620348_thumb.png

Edited by Firefox

A very interesting analysis. I have't looked at the Yamato toy, so I never noticed the differences.

The on-screen animation isn't likely to be a Super version of the VEFR-1, since the animated VE-1 matches the official VE-1 colors, the wings are not the VEFR-1 style with the added sensor packages on the leading edges/wing tips and the surveillance pod is nowhere to be found. More likely, the VE-1 was animated for DYRL while the design was still being finalized, which happens often in animation productions. The VE-1 is also not an exhaustively profiled variant of the Valkyrie; very little animation or line art exists for it at all. So it makes sense that some aspects of the design may be pliable.

It's interesting that the VE-1 line art includes that VT-1 Ostrich-style booster on top of the standard backpack thruster pack. Like you say, it's not there in the animation, so I wonder why it was added. But then the same can be said of the conformal tank designs and the missing antennae. Perhaps the VT-1 Super Ostrich and the VE-1 ELINT Seeker were being designed at the same time and it was eventually decided the "additional backpack booster" was to be a standard part of the DYRL non-combat Super Valkyries.

Not sure if this is the right section or has it been brought up before. If compare closely to the DYRL screen cap, the official VE-1, be it line art or Yamato toy, it differs alot.

(...)

With so many differences found, I wonder the on screen VE-1 is really the 'VE-1'. Could it be the VEFR-1 with super pack instead?

It might make more sense if you keep in mind that the design itself was never fully rendered in all the different modes from all the different angles. And the scene in question uses an angle that the designer didn't produce.

Kazutaka Miyatake only did one illustration of the front 3/4 in fighter, and one front and rear 3/4 in battroid - and all 3 images are looking down on the vehicle. As the angle the VE-1 is portrayed at in the movie was not among those, it's very likely that the animators either made some mistakes when drawn it, or they didn't know about some of the details when they drew it in fighter from the rear.

So this seemed too pointless for its own thread, so hopefully it'd be appropriate here, but I was just kinda wondering. How many times in total did Hikaru crash/wreck/lose/etc. his VF-1J (and later, the Skull One VF-1S)? Ignoring the VF-1D from the opening episodes in that count. Kinda curious about Alto too since a friend mentioned he was bad about it though I honestly don't recall much of anything from Frontier clearly.

Edited by RyuRoots

So this seemed too pointless for its own thread, so hopefully it'd be appropriate here, but I was just kinda wondering. How many times in total did Hikaru crash/wreck/lose/etc. his VF-1J (and later, the Skull One VF-1S)? Ignoring the VF-1D from the opening episodes in that count.

Just twice IIRC. Episode 11 (when Britai tore it to shreds) and Episode 16 (Misa's mistimed Daedalus Attack). The VF-1S took a beating in Episode 27, but he could still fly it.

A guy asked me if there's any clean lineart of the VF-25 Armored?

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any... IIRC, Model Graphix magazine had some line art of the VF-25 and VF-25 Super from a side view. Maybe in Master File?

Not so far. Kawamori is working on Nobunaga the Fool right now and Macross productions tend to come on anniversaries. I don't think we'll be hearing anything until mid to late 2016 at the earliest, but I could be wrong.

Kawamori is also working on as a mecha designer for M3 ~Sono Kuroki Hagane, which premieres in April.

Trust us, if there are any plans, we will know about it.

In Frontier TV Series, is Richard Bilrer's exact part in the Mishima plot and O'Connor network known? He does supply information and fold crystal to them but is he somehow a part ofthe network?

When O'Connor claims power over the galaxy there are a few other voices heard but I could not make out if they include Bilrer.

In Frontier TV Series, is Richard Bilrer's exact part in the Mishima plot and O'Connor network known? He does supply information and fold crystal to them but is he somehow a part ofthe network?

When O'Connor claims power over the galaxy there are a few other voices heard but I could not make out if they include Bilrer.

Well... Richard Bilra appears to be at least aware of the plot and O'Connor's aims, though apparently with his own motives. At the end, after the defeat of Grace's Vajra queen, it looks like he was planning to use Grace's resources to find the missing Megaroad-01 and Lynn Minmay.

The problem with trying to identify voices of "Galaxy Anonymous" is that, according to the Macross F Official Fan Book, those aren't the people's REAL voices... they're like online forum avatars, just voices that the people involved like and choose to use. So, for example, that little girl voice you hear isn't a real little girl at all... it could be a 50-year-old man. Again, just like real life.

Are there any plans for a new Macross film or TV series?

Nothing that has been announced, but Macross follows a very unique cycle - theres always a number of years between series/OVAs.

But all good things come to those who wait. It makes every new entry into the franchise we all love that little bit more special :-)

There is something I'm failing to understand from both the Frontier TV series and movies - I wonder of the novels or any other supplementary materials explain it.

We know that Aimo is a Vajra love song, sung quite rarely. So how did Ranshe Mei and Dr. Mao Nome learn this song? They seem to have done so quite some time before the destruction of their fleet; Ranshe taught it to her children and Mao, at least in the movies, even sent it to her adult daughter on the Galaxy (so she could teach Sheryl).

Also in the series we hear from Grace about the Protoculture's reverent attitude to the Vajra. But how would Grace know it? It' not like she talked to the Protoculture?

Also, someone on TV tropes notices that Grace was "doing revenge on the Mao line" by doing what she did to Grace. Any idea where they got it from and what the revenge is for?

Edited by Saruta

There is something I'm failing to understand from both the Frontier TV series and movies - I wonder of the novels or any other supplementary materials explain it.

We know that Aimo is a Vajra love song, sung quite rarely. So how did Ranshe Mei and Dr. Mao Nome learn this song? They seem to have done so quite some time before the destruction of their fleet; Ranshe taught it to her children and Mao, at least in the movies, even sent it to her adult daughter on the Galaxy (so she could teach Sheryl).

Also in the series we hear from Grace about the Protoculture's reverent attitude to the Vajra. But how would Grace know it? It' not like she talked to the Protoculture?

Also, someone on TV tropes notices that Grace was "doing revenge on the Mao line" by doing what she did to Grace. Any idea where they got it from and what the revenge is for?

My guess would be (and I want to stress that it is only a guess) that they figured it out while they were researching the Vajra... that IS what the 117th was out there doing. They may have recorded it from fold transmissions while they were around the Vajra, or possibly detected an echo of it coming from another galaxy. (Or they may have pieced it together on their own after studying the Vajra distributed intelligence.)

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Thanks!

And now that the Vajra questions landed on this thread - I wonder if it is known why the Vajra have attacked Macross Galaxy. I initially thoguht it was because Grace had o use for Galaxy anymore but it seems that Grace did not have such level of control at the time; she could possibly *attract* the Vajra somewhere by using Sheryl, but Sheryl was elsewhere when the attacks happened.

Was there any explanation for the change in Fold visual effects in Frontier? In Frontier the ships opened up a circular plane they had to travel through, but up to then a Fold event encompassed the ship entirely before it transitioned to Fold Space.

Thanks!

And now that the Vajra questions landed on this thread - I wonder if it is known why the Vajra have attacked Macross Galaxy. I initially thoguht it was because Grace had o use for Galaxy anymore but it seems that Grace did not have such level of control at the time; she could possibly *attract* the Vajra somewhere by using Sheryl, but Sheryl was elsewhere when the attacks happened.

Dunno if there's an official answer to that one offhand... I'm in the middle of a move, so all my art books are still packed. I'd guess that Macross Galaxy deliberately provoked a small-scale attack.

Was there any explanation for the change in Fold visual effects in Frontier? In Frontier the ships opened up a circular plane they had to travel through, but up to then a Fold event encompassed the ship entirely before it transitioned to Fold Space.

The "portal" sort of effect actually goes back to the first episode of the original series... the visual used to depict fold jumps does change a bit depending on the budget. I don't recall seeing any in-series explanation for it, though the production reason is very likely a cost thing. It's cheaper to animate a ship just vanishing in a flash of light.

I have repeatedly watched the last episodes and am failing to understand something. Alto rescued Ranka from Battle Galaxy - but how did Ranka get moved into Battle Galaxy?

Finally I sat down and wrote a description, with timings, of all the sequences with Ranka from the moment she ejects from Brera's Valk until Alto sees she is in Battle Galaxy. I still failed to work out when or how she was transferred, as it seems she was in the Vajra Queen at one point (the place where Grace was later tentacle-connected, and yet later killed).

Here are my notes and I would ery much appreciate help in understanding when and how that transfer happened. (Perhaps something is known from novels etc?)

ep23
13:56 Ranka sees Ai-kun, ejects; before this moment she was in Brera's Valk at all times. Tries to talk to Ai-kun
14:06 Ai-kun's eyes glow red and shortly he grabs her with a tentacle. Ranka screams; Brera cries out "Ranka" - he did NOT expect this. Ranka regains some of her memories as she cries out "Onii-chan"
14:28-14:29 Ranka still held by Ai-kun who is riding, apparently, a bigger Vajra, but of a colour I don't remember. http://hkar.ru/qNXl http://hkar.ru/qNXh . Brera is shown trying to follow in his Valk but pushed away from her by another Vajra and fighting them
14:50 Grace talks to Brera from big humanoid mecha with a green glowing band on "head" at the level of "eyes", probably her own Valk as size is comparable to Brera's. Shortly after 15:00 she says "seems the Vajra have noticed us - how these bugs annoy me" according to the subs I have. This seems to mean she does not control Vajra at the point
15:29 Grace clicks fingers to take control of Brera (after his "controlled now" sequence the anime cuts to Frontier, and we go to next scene with Ranka/Grace/Brera)
17:37 Ranka on screen again, and she apears to be flying with Brera again though it is probably Alto thinking of her flying with Brera, as she onky appears for a few seconds while he looks at a picture of her.
17:50 we see a Vajra thing with red dots (head of the Queen?) and then immediately we see Ranka who looks like she is laid on a web of something. So it appears she was pulled into the Queen? She says "forgive me brother" and gets the key memory - she is singing as a child, Brera playing harmonica, Vajra appear, then battle then she sees her brother in a hatch etc. Back to present Ranka who now says it's all her fault.
18:29 cut to Grace who sees Ranka as if hanging in space, says "we awaited this moment, I hear her, the Little Queen, now we..." and we see a green apparentl fold-network spring into action and expand intoa spiral, then Grace says "it's tjhe moment of truth" and cut to Alto wih Klan. That scene leads to Alto telling Klan he will kill Ranka if she is turned by Vajra into a tool against humanity, with Klan responsing "so this is your love" and Sheryl reacting (wait, both Klan and Sheryl have time for the triange stuff while THIS CRAP is happening? Though they don't know...).
Shortly after we see the same planet on Mishima;s screen but no Ranka. Episode ends.

Ep24 starts with the attack on the 117th fleet starting with child!Ranka singing then showing Grace burning and cursing Vajra. Then, after a brief appearance of Ozma, child!Brera is seen saying to child!Ranka "don't tell anyone they came for your song" (not exactly very wise but he's how many years old here...)
01:04 today's Ranka in unclear space saying it's her fault. Grace answers that it is correct and proceeds to guilt-trip her - not yet into action, but into "opening up fully" (making the information overload worse, presumably). Cut to Ozma after that, then opening and the SMS searching the old Macross on Galia-4. (Wait, Alto found it was all erased - bt I guess they got better computer tech there and unerased it all)
06:44 we see Ranka again and she is crucified now, held by those rings. She will remain in this pose until freed by Alto. Brera reports to Grace that the analysis of the quantum protocol is nearly complete, then flashback to a burning Grace who says that Ranshe's and Mao's blood will soon start burning them from the inside and people will know Grace was right. (Does not exactly make sense to me). Cut to SMS.
17:10 we get Ranka again, crucified anc clearly not in control of herself though conscious. Grace is guilt-trippoijng Ranka into defending this lovely planet from the invasion. Controlled Brera hekos at 17:27.
18:20 we see Ranka singing to rally the Vajra, and it seems like the giant hologram of her appears but I am not sure
18:38 the giant hologram appears for sure.
20:00 we see Grace flying without a space suit (well she's a cyborg) and right into some sort of Vajra mesh as she is saying "your key is in my hands, the throne is mine, let me in"
20:17 we see the same Vajra thing with red dots as in ep23 17:50; Grace flying towards it. Cut to battle, Alto flying around the big hologram.
20:35 Alto flies throuhg holographic Ranka's eye and sees Brera's Valk or Battle Galaxy? Colour is the same) and aparently realizes Ranka is holographic, followed by Alto being shot by Brera, then Sheryl appears briefly, ALto and Brera fight while having a chat focusing on whether the humans are invaders (a bit close to current politics...). The Meltran (Klan?) joining the fight also joins the debate. The fold network is so like Teh Internets!
21:53 damaged Alto's Valk wkirts arm of holographic Ranka, episode ends shortly

ep25
beginning recaps what was at the end of last ep but no new footage of Ranka
0:47 SMS folds in and Ozma immediately lands a strike on Brera breaking his implant. SMS shortly reveals the Galaxy plot.
2:08 Alto says the holographic Ranka is not the real Ranka (I wonder if anyone thought it was the real Ranka grown to THAT size) so tells them to shoot at her
2:23 projection destroyed by Macross cannon strike from Macross quarter, revealing Battle Galaxy. (Intact after a direct hit from the cannon? The holographic projection doubled as an energy barrier that absorbed the hit?)
2:52 we see the Vajra thing with red dots again.
2:59 Grace is inside, discussing being discovered.
3:04 Grace connects to Vajra netwirk with tentacles. Ranka not in sight. Immediately after. Phantoms start shooring from Battle Galaxy.
4:30 "at that moment I heard you" (appparently Alto is also a narrator telling of these events as past". We see crucified Ranka and hear her "Save me".
6:18 we see crucified Ranka again trying to open here eyes
6:34 she succeeds
6:43 Vajra red dotted thing again, Grace inside with web of tentacles in ecstasy, NOW she controls Vajra as shwn by them changing colour
7:56 a voice says the Little Queen is no longer needed
8:30 Ozma fires rockets at the red dotted Vajra thing - rockets consumed by fold barrier. This is followed by a long epic sequence with Vajra and Grace but no Ranka
10:46 we hear Ranka singing as herself, and Alto clearly sees she is inside Battle Galaxy.

So the big question - at which point and how, did Ranka get physically transferred from the Vajra Queen into Battle Galaxy?

Edited by Saruta