I just finished watching the Frontier series and the movie. I was very surprised by the noticeable difference between the series and the movie. Even Alto's stance, looks and voice sound different for example. Alto's voice and behaviour were more aggressive in the series (or at least it appeared he was prone to getting angry a lot quicker in the series).

Is this sort of difference typical of all the releases in the Macross world? Or is it just a Frontier thing?

Is this sort of difference typical of all the releases in the Macross world? Or is it just a Frontier thing?

Just a Frontier-thing, just for the movie-thing. This is probably more of a story element because of the format difference between TV and movies. And if the director wants to portray things a bit different in the movie than in the TV series, then this would fall into a production-change.

Not exactly just a Frontier-thing. This happened before with the movie "Macross: Do You Remember Love" (1984), which significantly changed the story from "Super Dimensional Fortress Macross" (1982). The movie-story-change is possibly yet another deliberate shout-out to the original Macross.

I wonder if plot details of the Macross 30 game are available anywhere. I'm unlikely to get the game itself (no translation available apparently, and I'm not into playing space battles), so spoilers are not a problem, but all I could find was the plot of the first chapter and some squees over the rest.

Notably, I'd like to know if the Mao Nome you get there is the 11 year old Mao or the adult Dr.Mao. And if it's the former I do wonder how she reacts to seeing a granddaughter. She'd probably get interested in who the heck the grandfather was?

I know that feels, bro. I got the game as a birthday gift from my girlfriend, but I don't understand a lick of what's being said. I can't get through the training missions without spending several minutes trying to figure out what it is I'm supposed to be doing and I can't enjoy the dialogue or story.

I wonder if plot details of the Macross 30 game are available anywhere. I'm unlikely to get the game itself (no translation available apparently, and I'm not into playing space battles), so spoilers are not a problem, but all I could find was the plot of the first chapter and some squees over the rest.

Notably, I'd like to know if the Mao Nome you get there is the 11 year old Mao or the adult Dr.Mao. And if it's the former I do wonder how she reacts to seeing a granddaughter. She'd probably get interested in who the heck the grandfather was?

As far as I'm aware (and that may not be very far!) there are no Macross 30 plot summaries anywhere (in English).

There is a gameplay translation of the game available here on MW though... which my girlfriend found helpful enough that she was able to get all the way through the game without knowing a lick of Japanese. If space battles ain't your thing, no worries... there's only one at the very beginning, and it's a "supposed-to-lose" fight.

At the very least, I can answer your inquiries about the characters. It's not Dr. Mao we get, it's the ~11 year old Mao as she was in Macross Zero... which does get played for a few cheap awkward moments between Sara, Mao, and Sheryl.

Thanks!

I wonder if the game is supposed to be building up the canon story, or is it an entirely fanservice-y (in the wide sense of the word) offshoot? For example, that 11yo Mao - she presumably was put back into her own timeline because, you know, she had to grow up and have a daughter... would her memories of the M30 time trip be erased?

More fundamentally, is time travel now possible in the Macross Universe, so Richard Birler could finally get his Minmay? (He did apparently say that the fold network could transcend space and time, but as there was nothing to indicate it really could do time travel, I assumed it was wishful thinking on his part).

Edited by Saruta

I wonder if the game is supposed to be building up the canon story, or is it an entirely fanservice-y (in the wide sense of the word) offshoot? For example, that 11yo Mao - she presumably was put back into her own timeline because, you know, she had to grow up and have a daughter... would her memories of the M30 time trip be erased?

Well, it remains to be seen whether Macross Chronicle will place Macross 30 on its official timeline... but it does seem likely that will happen IMO, now that the game-exclusive YF-30 Chronos has been placed on the development "family tree" in issue 60 of Macross Chronicle.

I'm not 100% clear on the mechanics of how the pre-existing characters got on Ouroboros myself, but it's some manner of fold-fault-induced space-time shenanigans stemming from the ruins on Ouroboros and the Ouroboros aurora that brought all of the previous characters there (seemingly without disrupting the timeline at all).

More fundamentally, is time travel now possible in the Macross Universe, so Richard Birler could finally get his Minmay? (He did apparently say that the fold network could transcend space and time, but as there was nothing to indicate it really could do time travel, I assumed it was wishful thinking on his part).

Not anymore, I think... the villain of the piece wanted to use the unique space-time properties of Ouroboros aurora to change history, but his means for doing so seem to have been destroyed in the process of defeating him.

I think Richard Bilra's bit about the fold network transcending time and space is more to do with zero-time fold essentially being lagless communication unimpeded by fold faults... which would enable him to search for Minmay without the crippling limits of a conventional fold communications system.

I have repeatedly watched the last episodes and am failing to understand something. Alto rescued Ranka from Battle Galaxy - but how did Ranka get moved into Battle Galaxy?

Finally I sat down and wrote a description, with timings, of all the sequences with Ranka from the moment she ejects from Brera's Valk until Alto sees she is in Battle Galaxy. I still failed to work out when or how she was transferred, as it seems she was in the Vajra Queen at one point (the place where Grace was later tentacle-connected, and yet later killed).

Here are my notes and I would ery much appreciate help in understanding when and how that transfer happened. (Perhaps something is known from novels etc?)

ep23

13:56 Ranka sees Ai-kun, ejects; before this moment she was in Brera's Valk at all times. Tries to talk to Ai-kun

14:06 Ai-kun's eyes glow red and shortly he grabs her with a tentacle. Ranka screams; Brera cries out "Ranka" - he did NOT expect this. Ranka regains some of her memories as she cries out "Onii-chan"

14:28-14:29 Ranka still held by Ai-kun who is riding, apparently, a bigger Vajra, but of a colour I don't remember. http://hkar.ru/qNXl http://hkar.ru/qNXh . Brera is shown trying to follow in his Valk but pushed away from her by another Vajra and fighting them

14:50 Grace talks to Brera from big humanoid mecha with a green glowing band on "head" at the level of "eyes", probably her own Valk as size is comparable to Brera's. Shortly after 15:00 she says "seems the Vajra have noticed us - how these bugs annoy me" according to the subs I have. This seems to mean she does not control Vajra at the point

15:29 Grace clicks fingers to take control of Brera (after his "controlled now" sequence the anime cuts to Frontier, and we go to next scene with Ranka/Grace/Brera)

17:37 Ranka on screen again, and she apears to be flying with Brera again though it is probably Alto thinking of her flying with Brera, as she onky appears for a few seconds while he looks at a picture of her.

17:50 we see a Vajra thing with red dots (head of the Queen?) and then immediately we see Ranka who looks like she is laid on a web of something. So it appears she was pulled into the Queen? She says "forgive me brother" and gets the key memory - she is singing as a child, Brera playing harmonica, Vajra appear, then battle then she sees her brother in a hatch etc. Back to present Ranka who now says it's all her fault.

18:29 cut to Grace who sees Ranka as if hanging in space, says "we awaited this moment, I hear her, the Little Queen, now we..." and we see a green apparentl fold-network spring into action and expand intoa spiral, then Grace says "it's tjhe moment of truth" and cut to Alto wih Klan. That scene leads to Alto telling Klan he will kill Ranka if she is turned by Vajra into a tool against humanity, with Klan responsing "so this is your love" and Sheryl reacting (wait, both Klan and Sheryl have time for the triange stuff while THIS CRAP is happening? Though they don't know...).

Shortly after we see the same planet on Mishima;s screen but no Ranka. Episode ends.

Ep24 starts with the attack on the 117th fleet starting with child!Ranka singing then showing Grace burning and cursing Vajra. Then, after a brief appearance of Ozma, child!Brera is seen saying to child!Ranka "don't tell anyone they came for your song" (not exactly very wise but he's how many years old here...)

01:04 today's Ranka in unclear space saying it's her fault. Grace answers that it is correct and proceeds to guilt-trip her - not yet into action, but into "opening up fully" (making the information overload worse, presumably). Cut to Ozma after that, then opening and the SMS searching the old Macross on Galia-4. (Wait, Alto found it was all erased - bt I guess they got better computer tech there and unerased it all)

06:44 we see Ranka again and she is crucified now, held by those rings. She will remain in this pose until freed by Alto. Brera reports to Grace that the analysis of the quantum protocol is nearly complete, then flashback to a burning Grace who says that Ranshe's and Mao's blood will soon start burning them from the inside and people will know Grace was right. (Does not exactly make sense to me). Cut to SMS.

17:10 we get Ranka again, crucified anc clearly not in control of herself though conscious. Grace is guilt-trippoijng Ranka into defending this lovely planet from the invasion. Controlled Brera hekos at 17:27.

18:20 we see Ranka singing to rally the Vajra, and it seems like the giant hologram of her appears but I am not sure

18:38 the giant hologram appears for sure.

20:00 we see Grace flying without a space suit (well she's a cyborg) and right into some sort of Vajra mesh as she is saying "your key is in my hands, the throne is mine, let me in"

20:17 we see the same Vajra thing with red dots as in ep23 17:50; Grace flying towards it. Cut to battle, Alto flying around the big hologram.

20:35 Alto flies throuhg holographic Ranka's eye and sees Brera's Valk or Battle Galaxy? Colour is the same) and aparently realizes Ranka is holographic, followed by Alto being shot by Brera, then Sheryl appears briefly, ALto and Brera fight while having a chat focusing on whether the humans are invaders (a bit close to current politics...). The Meltran (Klan?) joining the fight also joins the debate. The fold network is so like Teh Internets!

21:53 damaged Alto's Valk wkirts arm of holographic Ranka, episode ends shortly

ep25

beginning recaps what was at the end of last ep but no new footage of Ranka

0:47 SMS folds in and Ozma immediately lands a strike on Brera breaking his implant. SMS shortly reveals the Galaxy plot.

2:08 Alto says the holographic Ranka is not the real Ranka (I wonder if anyone thought it was the real Ranka grown to THAT size) so tells them to shoot at her

2:23 projection destroyed by Macross cannon strike from Macross quarter, revealing Battle Galaxy. (Intact after a direct hit from the cannon? The holographic projection doubled as an energy barrier that absorbed the hit?)

2:52 we see the Vajra thing with red dots again.

2:59 Grace is inside, discussing being discovered.

3:04 Grace connects to Vajra netwirk with tentacles. Ranka not in sight. Immediately after. Phantoms start shooring from Battle Galaxy.

4:30 "at that moment I heard you" (appparently Alto is also a narrator telling of these events as past". We see crucified Ranka and hear her "Save me".

6:18 we see crucified Ranka again trying to open here eyes

6:34 she succeeds

6:43 Vajra red dotted thing again, Grace inside with web of tentacles in ecstasy, NOW she controls Vajra as shwn by them changing colour

7:56 a voice says the Little Queen is no longer needed

8:30 Ozma fires rockets at the red dotted Vajra thing - rockets consumed by fold barrier. This is followed by a long epic sequence with Vajra and Grace but no Ranka

10:46 we hear Ranka singing as herself, and Alto clearly sees she is inside Battle Galaxy.

So the big question - at which point and how, did Ranka get physically transferred from the Vajra Queen into Battle Galaxy?

You're overthinking it. It's a cartoon meant for young adults.

Well, it remains to be seen whether Macross Chronicle will place Macross 30 on its official timeline... but it does seem likely that will happen IMO, now that the game-exclusive YF-30 Chronos has been placed on the development "family tree" in issue 60 of Macross Chronicle.

It's really hard to say. There is a bunch of stuff from M3 and VF-X/VF-X2, which was still left out of the timeline (in short, they're reprinting the timeline pretty much as is).

The glossary sheets also have not been changed - in the sense of adding entries from the two MF movies and FB7 (all of which were released after the original MC was over). If entries for those anime films are missing, it doesn't bode well for the game M30.

I think the only coverage we're going to get is the Goods sheet dedicated to the game that's just been released (it's on my translation to-do list). But, if it's anything like the goods sheets for the aforementioned games or Macross The Musiculture, then it's going to be only the bare minimum of details, at the start of the game.

In other words, if you don't play the game (and understand Japanese), you won't know the majority of the plot (especially its conclusion). Which sucks, but isn't a first for Macross.

The YF-30 is bound to get its own mechanic sheet. Hopefully we'll get more than that.

You're overthinking it. It's a cartoon meant for young adults.

In order of increasing seriousness:

- If it's just for young adults what are those Osamu Tezuka references doing in the second movie? There's the Hyotan Tsugi toy on sale, Black Jack on a TV screen, etc. To me, the references actually make sense as Ranka's pholosophy sounds rather Tezuka-esque there, but I'm *young* for a Tezuka fan at 36, most are older; there are very few YA Tezuka fans, and most that do exist are Astro Boy remake fangirls. (A possible explanation is that Kawamori himself was one back in the 80s, though. He could probably not have avoided it).

- I do remember being a young adult. I picked detais in science fiction to *bits* back then. I totally overthought Isaac Asimov's robotics and "psychohistory" (until reading his doorstopper of an autobiography, "In Memory Yet Green", helped put things in context). I don't think I'm the only one, in fact many devoted sci fi fans of the age group are probably like that, so a young adult audience does not mean you can skimp on the details. And Kawamori knows it very well, judging by the numerous supplementary materials.

(A side whine, though I think I did whine about this problem before. Apparently a YA audience does mean addition of gratuitous fan service. I have a nearly 9 year old son who loved SDFM and wants more. I have to keep him away from Frontier *solely* because of fan service scenes; I think he can handle the plot itself and the occasional gore, but how do I explain the panty thief scene, Sheryl's remark about Nanase being well endowed, etc? I hate telling him to wait all of four years, I was a sci fi fan at his age already, he's got his rights too! Though perhaps I can work out a few episodes to skip in the TV series, and retell them instead).

- Finally, I also posted this query at a Ranka fan's blog and someone (namely kaldar5) DID come up with the things I missed. From his answer:

==

Ep 24

At 19:43 we see a Cruiser from the Galaxy fleet skimming the Vajira planet ring, heading to the center. These Vajira stay still as if they are paralized or made docile.

19:53 we see the glowy Grace consciousness “Rez in”, the cruiser in the background overhead.

20:00 Glowy Grace gains access to the queen at the center of the Vajira planetary ring.

[He explains elsewhere, and is probably right, that when a character is glowing with one colour the events are likely not in the physical space]

Seems as if Grace was in this cruiser, projecting her senses and influence outward.

Would have been a great time to transfer while everyone was so busy dealing with Holo Ranka & Battle Galaxy and the Vajira doing what comes naturally, being “told” by drugged Ranka to defend against the “enemy” – all of them but the few directly in the area around Grace. Again making it look like Grace can have limited short range control of a few Vajira when they are “Distracted”.

Ep 25:

2:52 – We see the queen again, now flanked by a large number of Galaxy YF-27′s *Non-glowy* Grace lowers herself into a Queen eye, she connects.

6:49 Now Grace controls all the Vajira fully.

==

This gives a rather narrow time frame for transferring Ranka, either shortly before or shortly after Grace installs herself in the Vajra queen head. Problem solved. (I think she was in information overload not drugged, though. One does not need to be drugged when one suddenly finds oneself in the center of an immense "hive mind" network)

Edited by Saruta

I'm sorry if this is the inappropriate place but wasn't sure where to ask the questions below.

Does anyone know how I can burn an mkv file into a dvd that I can play in my dvd/bluray player? More specifically I'm trying to burn the Macross Frontier TV series which I downloaded as an mkv file and which contains English subtitles. I tried the MKV to Any Lite app from Appstore but unfortunately it loses the subtitles in the process of converting it. I use a MacBook Pro by the way.

In Macross F ep #1 when all the ships are shown to be deployed across the galaxy, the Megaroad -01 seems to be still "alive" after year 2016 even as for year 2033 it looks like is on-route to somewhere. Is this a production mistake?

Thanks for the reply.

In Macross F ep #1 when all the ships are shown to be deployed across the galaxy, the Megaroad -01 seems to be still "alive" after year 2016 even as for year 2033 it looks like is on-route to somewhere. Is this a production mistake?

The map is "planned routes" or representative. It doesn't account for incidents, detours, reroutes, roadblocks, or if they find something along the way and settle. If Megaroad-01 didn't go MIA, they would have followed that route.

Does anyone know how I can burn an mkv file into a dvd that I can play in my dvd/bluray player? More specifically I'm trying to burn the Macross Frontier TV series which I downloaded as an mkv file and which contains English subtitles. I tried the MKV to Any Lite app from Appstore but unfortunately it loses the subtitles in the process of converting it. I use a MacBook Pro by the way.

iSkysoft?

- If it's just for young adults what are those Osamu Tezuka references doing in the second movie? There's the Hyotan Tsugi toy on sale, Black Jack on a TV screen, etc. To me, the references actually make sense as Ranka's pholosophy sounds rather Tezuka-esque there, but I'm *young* for a Tezuka fan at 36, most are older; there are very few YA Tezuka fans, and most that do exist are Astro Boy remake fangirls. (A possible explanation is that Kawamori himself was one back in the 80s, though. He could probably not have avoided it).

Apologies in advance for bringing real life into the conversation, but the inclusion of Tezuka material was most likely the result of a business deal and little else.

Tezuka Productions have had the rights to certain Frontier merchandise for years now and are the main financial backers behind the 'Oshare Macross' chain of exhibits/temporary stores, which are still going strong (with the latest being held in Kyoto right now, and having sold out of its newest items in less than two days).

This is also why the first version of Macross the Museum and the 1-1 valkyrie cockpit were held at the Tezuka Museum - resulting in fans having to trek down a fair chunk of japan to see it but drumming up some newer brand awareness for Tezuka in the process. I'm sure Kawamori grew up with Atom in the 60's, but knowing the business relationship thats there, public, and well-established, I wouldn't read the appearance of Atom and Blackjack in Wings of Farewell as any sort of deep comment on Ranka's psyche.

(For more business shenanigans, theres also the way that during Ranka's performance in Akiba Deep, the Aquarion figure was changed to a chogokin valk for the home release of the movie - since that was what was going to be on store shelves at that time - reality is constantly affecting anime.)

(A side whine, though I think I did whine about this problem before. Apparently a YA audience does mean addition of gratuitous fan service. I have a nearly 9 year old son who loved SDFM and wants more. I have to keep him away from Frontier *solely* because of fan service scenes; I think he can handle the plot itself and the occasional gore, but how do I explain the panty thief scene, Sheryl's remark about Nanase being well endowed, etc? I hate telling him to wait all of four years, I was a sci fi fan at his age already, he's got his rights too! Though perhaps I can work out a few episodes to skip in the TV series, and retell them instead).

Then again, DYRL had FULLY naked Minmei and a love hotel joke, while SDFMTV has Hikaru in a lingerie store, Fokker perving on Minmei's butt, and a bikini segment in the Miss Macross Contest.

The extremes have changed, yes, and I can appreciate the conundrum that being a parent puts you in - you love something so you naturally want to be able to share it with your kids. That's only normal! But might there not be a little rose-tinted viewing of the past going on here?

Then again, for context, in the same decade kids in Japan were watching heads explode in Fist of the North Star TV, and Ryo Saeba talking about sexy times in every episode of City Hunter. And this was tame compared to some of the early Lupin the 3rd stuff a decade earlier. So, for Japanese audiences at least, perhaps standards have changed quite that much after all.

As far as the overall topic goes, I'm no fan of shipping wars, but the movies at least made BOTH Sheryl AND Ranka winners! Sheryl was the 'winner' when it came to romance, but ended up in a coma and with potentially no singing voice when/if she recovers. Ranka, on the other hand, 'wins' in music since she becomes the main idol in the galaxy as a result. Neither character could ever have both - by it's very definition, being an 'idol' means you cannot have a successful romance/relationship - but at least this way each of character 'wins' at something.

Edited by Tochiro

Apologies in advance for bringing real life into the conversation, but the inclusion of Tezuka material was most likely the result of a business deal and little else. (...)

There's a topic in Macross Chronicle that indicates that the Tezuka material was included as an homage, too. Was its placement merely for business, or business plus alpha?

There's a topic in Macross Chronicle that indicates that the Tezuka material was included as an homage, too. Was its placement merely for business, or business plus alpha?

Well theres always a plus alpha if it's done well so I daresay that is indeed correct.

Regardless, I still think my main point (the business relationship and the unlikeliness of its inclusion having anything to do with Ranka's character development) still stands.

(...) I still think my main point (the business relationship and the unlikeliness of its inclusion having anything to do with Ranka's character development) still stands.

I'm not disagreeing with that! I'm just hoping it was a bit more than a vacuous money grab.

The map is "planned routes" or representative. It doesn't account for incidents, detours, reroutes, roadblocks, or if they find something along the way and settle. If Megaroad-01 didn't go MIA, they would have followed that route.

Thanks for the reply.

As far as it was supposed to travel toward the center of the "milky way" it seems to be traveling in the opposite way even in the 2016/2017 year they changed direction almost in 180°. It is the only ship doing this...just, it was odd to me.

Thanks again!

Thanks Tochiro!

For some reason I failed to get any answers between parts of a quote, so not using the official quote mechanism...

I did hear about the business deal with Tezuka Productions. However as a longterm Tezuka fan I still notice that the timing is well chosen. That's just a bonus apparently.

"Then again, DYRL had FULLY naked Minmei and a love hotel joke, while SDFMTV has Hikaru in a lingerie store, Fokker perving on Minmei's butt, and a bikini segment in the Miss Macross Contest."

Yes but the movie stuff was, as far as I remember, "blink and you miss it", and the SDFM stuff was pretty tame. So tame that it has not triggered my "parent guard", which is admittedly rather lax. Episode 11 (the conversation of the captive team with Zentradi commanders) could in my view be read far more "viciously" but it is hidden behind innocent-sounding speech. You,re right aboiut this being a matter of standards evolution in Japan,. although the fact that F was aired in a night timeslot might also account for a part of it. Well, he'll just have to wait.

"As far as the overall topic goes, I'm no fan of shipping wars, but the movies at least made BOTH Sheryl AND Ranka winners! Sheryl was the 'winner' when it came to romance, but ended up in a coma and with potentially no singing voice when/if she recovers. Ranka, on the other hand, 'wins' in music since she becomes the main idol in the galaxy as a result. Neither character could ever have both - by it's very definition, being an 'idol' means you cannot have a successful romance/relationship - but at least this way each of character 'wins' at something."

This is an excellent point and I was thinking about it for the last few days. I read somewhere that Frontier is supposed to be, in part, a critical commentary on the idol industry. but I think Kawamori was way too tame on the part where an idol is not supposed to have a personal life. Indeed, even in the TV series version with no coma, realistically whoever wins the love triangle would have a major problem with her singing career. Or if we trust the novels, just imagine the sh*tstorm that would happen around Sheryl if her "courage-sharing" with Alto becomes public knowledge.

I wish he would invite Gen Urobuchi to collaborate on the next Macross because that guy knows how to "pull no punches" and deconstruct mercilessly, and the idol industry seems to be asking for a good deconstruction. They're both trolls, and apparently both Osamu Tezuka fans, so they'd have a jolly good time in a collab. Though I guess a couple of fictional colonization fleets would get gruesomely destroyed on-screen in the process.

Macross may not have been as naughty, but lemme tell ya about a show that came out a few years later like L-Gaim which is full of sex jokes. The show Srungle which came out the year Macross ended features a character whose name is just SEXY that the animators like to draw naked as much as possible.

And these are both giant robot shows that ran over 50 episodes.

Edited by VF5SS

Thanks for the responses and changing the subject back to a suitable question :)

Ranka has red eyes. I know she is quarter-Zentradi, but do we get to see any Zentradi with red eyes? I can't remember one offhand nor did Google help.

Oh,and an embarassing qustion - where can I find the timeline of Macross Frontier (TV series) events? I think I saw it somewhere... like for example how much time passed between Ranka's start with Elmo and her planned first live concert, etc.

EDIT: found. http://macross.anime.net/wiki/2059

Edited by Saruta

Are there any plans for a new Macross film or TV series?

There sure is!

http://www.macrossworld.com/6321/new-macross-tv-series-announced/

Not so far. Kawamori is working on Nobunaga the Fool right now and Macross productions tend to come on anniversaries. I don't think we'll be hearing anything until mid to late 2016 at the earliest, but I could be wrong.

Oh hell yes you were wrong. So very, very wrong :-p

Just read this off the glossary at Sketchley's site.

Jamming Sound System
A Spatial-Temporal Resonance System developed by Manfret Brando, the president and representative director of the Critical Path Corporation. It is radio wave jamming equipment that was put to use and developed from the latest transmission equipment, which uses a hyperspace resonance crystalline lens. It directly interferes in the equipment by inducing spatial-temporal resonance in the computer. When used, a peculiar music streams from it, and guided ordinance is dis-empowered. (Source: Macross VF-X2)

Is the hyperspace resonance crystalline lens another term for Fold Quartz?

The VF-X2 video game predates Macross Frontier and the concept of Fold Quartz by almost a decade so I don't think that lens would be Fold Quartz. Though with retconn, anything is possible :)

Manfred Brando was a sponsor of the 117th Research Fleet, and Ozma was kicked out of NUNS for decking the guy after the catastrophe in the novels and Macross Chronicle. They are probably retconning the Sound Jamming System to be based on Fold Quartz.

With Sound Energy, they don't have to, as is based on a different pseudo-science. Something about people tapping into a dimension full of spiritia, and some people have better connections than others.

The VF-X2 Sound Resonance may be based on Fold Waves (maybe not so much a retcon, but the progenitor of the Fold Wave concept that appeared in MF), or it might be based around Fold Carbon (or Fold Coal), which is also the basis for Fold Drives and the Heavy Quantum used in the Macross Cannons (the names of the material and the concept of heavy quantum were retconned with MF).

Questions on the various Vajra types.

You have the little yellow guys, and the bigger red ones with the single large gun on top (Small & Heavy Soldier respectively)

Then there's the 4 winged guy that tried to capture Ranka right? Heavy Mobile Soldier?

Does the same type appear with a double gun on top of his back?

There's the really big 3 gun type here, Super Heavy?

Does it have any weapons besides the big triple turret?

Is this a queen or Semi-queen?

Does she have any weapons?

Are there any other types?

eta- I removed all the pics at imgur so I killed the links to them

Edited by Andras

Kyle Dunn over on the Facebook group mentioned some VF-25 variants I've never heard of: The VF-25C, C-II and E. I was curious as to what differed them from the other variants?

They're from the VF-25 Master File. VF-25A, B/D, C, E, F, G, S, VJ, F-Recon, V, WR, RVF-25 and VEF-25E.

Only canonical ones are the A(?), F, G, S, and RVF-25.