new project under construction

Jasonc

While waiting for a scribing set of tools, I decided to work on something a little different than the actual Valkyrie. So, I started working on the drop tanks with the propellers on the wings. I think I'm gonna make just one, and then have it recasted, so I'm putting a lot of work into making this one as straight and clean as possible. I've made this mostly out of styrene, and for the curved rear, I filled it with resin. The harness that attaches it tot he wing will be the cluster missile attachments, since they are a white color as well. Sorry for the poor blurry pics, my camera doesn't take the best pics without the flash. Building the correct sections have given this really good, defined panel lines. I should have the basic shape of the front done tonight, if not, tomorrow. Enjoy.

Also, I've been thinking about making these drop tanks as maybe something to recast and sell for those interested. I may also be making additional armaments after this project is done, most based in the Valkyrie profile books, and then even some totally custome ones. Let me know what you guys think and if you'd be interested in that. (Hahaha, I'm derailing my own thread a bit).

post-582-129676687763_thumb.jpg

post-582-129676701591_thumb.jpg

post-582-129676703232_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonc

Also, I've been thinking about making these drop tanks as maybe something to recast and sell for those interested.

LOL there are some here who'd prefer if you dip the whole thing in silicon and cast it :)

Your work is great. Shame Hasegawa never tried this

LOL there are some here who'd prefer if you dip the whole thing in silicon and cast it :)

Your work is great. Shame Hasegawa never tried this

thanks for the compliment. Truth be told, while I've customized 1/55s in the past, most of it was just monkey wrenching what I already had in possession, and then a good paint up. this is the very first project I've done which required the use of making stuff from scratch from styrene, and two part resin. I was pretty nervous about starting up this project just because it looks so intimidating, so my skills aren't that great yet. but practice makes perfect, and I think I'm getting better at this even as I continually work on this project.

Damn !! I miss a couple of days and all this stuff happens!!

Derail away Jasonc,nicely done!! :D

I will probably do that a few times as I continue to work on this thing. Well, to add an update, I was able to finish the front piece, and even the "propeller" part of the front. Because the propeller blades are so tiny, I had to improvise a bit, and filed down a metal plate I had for something just like this. I think the end result is pretty good, and the connector piece was just put on and fitted to the wing this morning. I still need to add some panel lined to it, but for the most part, the build up is done. Thus, the drop tank is finished. Here are the pics of it.

post-582-129693096312_thumb.jpg

post-582-129693103161_thumb.jpg

post-582-129693104969_thumb.jpg

post-582-129693106862_thumb.jpg

Excellent work so far! I've been following this thread with great interest.

Just a heads up, those are Jamming Pods and do not contain fuel. Their real life counterparts can be found here. Also, the fan at the front of the pod is part of the RAM air turbine generator and is used to provide power to the pod and does not provide propulsion in any way

Excellent work so far! I've been following this thread with great interest.

Just a heads up, those are Jamming Pods and do not contain fuel. Their real life counterparts can be found here. Also, the fan at the front of the pod is part of the RAM air turbine generator and is used to provide power to the pod and does not provide propulsion in any way

Interesting...Thanks for the info on what the pods are. I thought it might have something to do with electronics, but didn't know what to call it. Drop tanks was just an easy default to give it.

Woooooooo, it is the only word jumping into my mind!!

Man, do you have any plan to sell the kit? I am extremely interested.

Best wishes to your project. It is truly awesome and really looking forward to see the finished vea-1.

One small suggestion: the connecting part right under the cockpit seems slightly oversized (compared with the 1/72 model), sanding it down a bit would be better.

Edited by gwfalcon

Woooooooo, it is the only word jumping into my mind!!

Man, do you have any plan to sell the kit? I am extremely interested.

Best wishes to your project. It is truly awesome and really looking forward to see the finished vea-1.

One small suggestion: the connecting part right under the cockpit seems slightly oversized (compared with the 1/72 model), sanding it down a bit would be better.

Thanks for the reply. I was thinking about making some sort of kit, but because it uses parts of the valkyrie toy in different places, it's not really kit ready. Someone had asked about me commisioning one for them, and I'd probably do that, but the time and work that goes into this kit don't make it cheap. It's also easiest to make these from the unassembled kits, as all the parts are not glued, and specific pieces can be worked on in segments and not as whole pieces.

Today, as I've been waiting on my scribes and squares, I started work on the handgun. Found some round round styrene that is about perfect for the diameter of the gun. So, with some work, I've managed to put the handle onto the rigged piece, and tomorrow, I'll be cleaning it up and I'll post up pics of the WIP of that.

OK, not a big update, but since I'm still waiting on more tools, I'm working on the little details and accessories. Here is the handgun that the Platypus will carry. Basically, it's the GU-11 handle (used so that it'll connect in fighter mode), attached to styrene 3/8" styrene tube wrapped over 3 times. I did that so that I could taper the tube, and so far, it's coming along nicely. Just need to put a round cap on the back of it, and the inside barrel, and it's all done. It'll be another accessory I'll end up recasting for a set later, or if I do another one of these, as I might do if someone wants one of these. Today, I'll be working on finishing this if possible, and adding the other small tanks and build up pieces on the Valk itself.

post-582-129736455747_thumb.jpg

OK, not a big update, but since I'm still waiting on more tools, I'm working on the little details and accessories. Here is the handgun that the Platypus will carry. Basically, it's the GU-11 handle (used so that it'll connect in fighter mode), attached to styrene 3/8" styrene tube wrapped over 3 times. I did that so that I could taper the tube, and so far, it's coming along nicely. Just need to put a round cap on the back of it, and the inside barrel, and it's all done. It'll be another accessory I'll end up recasting for a set later, or if I do another one of these, as I might do if someone wants one of these. Today, I'll be working on finishing this if possible, and adding the other small tanks and build up pieces on the Valk itself.

Having a few VF pistols around would be pretty cool actually.

Today, I have finished what are the external tanks located on the back calf of the legs. All scribe tools have come in, and I've begun to sort out what I need to put lines on. Pretty soon, I will recast what I need to duplicate on this thing, and can then start the process of super clean-up, and paint. I still need to put the top piece to the backpack, but that can be done in a day or so. Almost there. I'll start on the decals soon, as well.

• 1 month later...

How's this awesome project coming along? Have you been able to make more progress?

I've been doing little tidbits of parts here and there. Several days ago, I put the parts on, that are visible in fighter mode on each side to the rear of the cockpit, on what is the chest plate and back. I also created the 1D shield by scribing in the mid line on the shield, and will now be attaching the leg tanks to the legs. Probably sometime this weekend. Project is stll moving along.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, sorry for being out awhile, I've been pretty busy at work, and taking care of some other things, but I will begin work again on this project on tuesday, and will also put up pics of the stuff I've done up till now. Stay tuned.

• 4 weeks later...

Today, I spent some time working on some of the updated stuff that I've been doing with this project. While it still has a way to go, it seems to be looking more like it needs to. It's quite ugly right now, due to all the patch work and stuff, but I think once the paint is on, it should look like it needs to. Anyways, here are the pics of test fits for today. Last pic has the new jamming wing attachment, which I will be making recast of to fit all hard points on the wings. The actual attaching point to the wing is from the larger missile cluster that holds 3 missiles, and I'll be using those instead of recasting this piece, just so that it has a solid point of connection.

Comments are always welcome. Thanks for looking.

post-582-0-75757200-1304476980_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-87883700-1304476998_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-74580500-1304477036_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-91282300-1304477048_thumb.jpg

post-582-0-47138900-1304477059_thumb.jpg

Almost there!!! It's looking great, it's an awesome project.

Thanks, it's coming along. Tomorrow I put the tanks on the legs, and will try to get some scribing done for panel lines on the backpack. I'm also gonna see if I can make the stoppers for the upper and lower leg connector parts of the side piece that connects the legs. Probably a little ambitious for me, but I should be able to get at least something done.

Im not big fan of fighter mode but the battroid kick ass congratulations excellent project you should made a convertion kit :rolleyes:

Thanks, and yeah, I agree. I didn't like the way it looks from the original pics of it in fighter either. I think with my version, I've made the nose a little shorter, which doesn't make it look so awkward. But hey, it's called a "Platypus" and I don't think those are really too pretty anyways. functionality over beauty I guess.

• 5 months later...

This is a sorta bump and an update. I'm still working on this project, but now using the beauty of 3D modeling, I will be making some of these parts through that. I've only been doing this for maybe a week or so, but the accessories are coming out well, and I'm going to be putting up an interest thread for a weapons set shortly. So far, I've had some success creating a 1/60 2000lb. Paveway II bomb, and then a MPBMS multi missile system from Macross Frontier. Next up is the jamming pod for this project, and then set 1 will be available. But, in conclusion, PROJECT IS NOT DEAD.

I've only owned 3 or 4 1/48s in my lifetime, so I just never had the interest. And...since most valks are in 1/60, gotta go with the fuller line, I guess. Can't wait to see yours when you get started.

As far as next MWcon, if there is one next year, it'll be there, done or not.

Edited by Jasonc

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

hey jason.. is that one of the ecm weapon set that you produce with 3d print?

Man, sorry I didn't see this earlier. The site is supposed to inform me on when I get posts on this thread. To answer your question, the first one I did was scratchbuild with styrene. The other ones will be done with 3D print.

Hi Jason, any updates? Really interested!

Not really much to update on. I finished the legs, but did not like the way the tail fins are positioned. I'm probably going to recast some of the VT-1 or VE-1 fins, and use those, as they are shorter, and should work much better. As for the nose, I want to clean it up, but just trying to find a good way to do it. The mechanism works great, but it's got a bit of weight on the front, so if I can fix those two main issues, this should be done. Oh, and the head. I have to finish up the head. It's really close before I paint it.

• 5 weeks later...

Great Work!. I want one for me!. How Much?. My E-mail is christianbenitez77@hotmail.com :rolleyes:

Sent you an email.

As for an update, I'm debating using the CAD to redesign the front of the nose, and the backpack. The material I scratchbuilt this out of is great, sturdy, and will last forever, Buuuut, it's only as accurate as my sculpting is, and if I can design a hollow piece that has the panel lines already put in, I'm getting the detail, and lightening up the project all at the same time. Aside from that, the mechanics work great on it. Just transformed it yesterday, as I have two of the EPP pods for the wings, and they look great on it. For those following this thread, should I CAD the main changes, or continue to sculpt with what I have?

I just caught this! That mod looks great! It reminds me of the British Nimrod ASW/AEW designs. From what series or artwork was this from? I must have been under a rock or something at the time. - MT

I just caught this! That mod looks great! It reminds me of the British Nimrod ASW/AEW designs. From what series or artwork was this from? I must have been under a rock or something at the time. - MT

It's kinda found it way under the rocks of the Maya Islands. http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/magazines/mg-oct2002-page-21.jpg http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/magazines/mg-oct2002-page-23.jpg http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/magazines/mg-oct2002-page-24.jpg

This was an old kit bash, it appears, that was done almost 10 years ago and converted to transform.

Wow great job Jason.... It's looking pretty good now. Why couldn't you do a 1/48 version. Now I have to beg Alex to make one. Btw I do have a set of green valks to match that model graphix mag.
I've only owned 3 or 4 1/48s in my lifetime, so I just never had the interest. And...since most valks are in 1/60, gotta go with the fuller line, I guess. Can't wait to see yours when you get started. As far as next MWcon, if there is one next year, it'll be there, done or not.

Hi Jason, your work on this VE-1aew is truly awesome! Hope to see more update of it!

If you have no plan on doing a 1/48 one, I can start it from next week. Now I just complete the CAD design of its head but I dont want our work being duplicated. For the similar reason (I only have 2 1/60 valks), I will not touch the 1/60 design ^_^

Edited by IScustom

Hi Jason, your work on this VE-1aew is truly awesome! Hope to see more update of it!

If you have no plan on doing a 1/48 one, I can start it from next week. Now I just complete the CAD design of its head but I dont want our work being duplicated. For the similar reason (I only have 2 1/60 valks), I will not touch the 1/60 design ^_^

No problem. I know there are quite a few 1/48 fans here, so I'm sure they'd be very happy to see this done to that scale. I'm probably going to split the CAD work up, and do half on the VA-3, half on this.

No problem. I know there are quite a few 1/48 fans here, so I'm sure they'd be very happy to see this done to that scale. I'm probably going to split the CAD work up, and do half on the VA-3, half on this.

Cool, I personally suggest you port your awesome work to CAD design, which may save you more time.

BTW, your suggestions in the shapeways thread are indeed helpful!

IS

Cool, I personally suggest you port your awesome work to CAD design, which may save you more time.

BTW, your suggestions in the shapeways thread are indeed helpful!

IS

Thanks. I have started to bring the design over to CAD. I don't know how well it's going to work, but it looks like it may turn out OK. I was able to take the bulges that start under the cockpit, and integrate a sort of lock, that will keep the rotating nose from turning while in fighter. It's not rocket science, just a simple little slide piece. Being that the front piece fits around the rounded and sharp nose, I'll probably make this very hollow. The only issue I have as of now is to either make space for the already made leg locking system, or recreate it so that it is already integrated into the new nose.

post-582-0-33447300-1327526240_thumb.jpg