new project under construction

Jasonc

OK, I'm starting on what probably is my most ambitious project to date. I'm not gonna say what it is at this point, but work has begun. I'll post pics as I progress, and since I'm such a slow worker, they aren't gonna come all that often. Anyways, here's the start. This is from a 1/60 unassembles Valkyrie. still got A LOT of work still to do on the cockpit, but hoping for sometime in January to be done with just that section. In the meantime, I'll be working on the head as well.

post-582-129159833842_thumb.jpg

post-582-129159835217_thumb.jpg

post-582-129159836513_thumb.jpg

post-582-12915983809_thumb.jpg

post-582-129159839401_thumb.jpg

post-582-129159840586_thumb.jpg

While trying to look for my Dremel, I've started working on the new head to go with the Valkyrie. I'll be combining the neck of the unassembled Valkyrie with the head of another kit I bought several years ago specifically for this project. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it today and put up a dry fit so you can see it. If not, it may be tomorrow. I'm customizing it, so that hopefully, the head will be able to look up and down like the original does.

OK, I wasn't able to find my camera yesterday, but I did finish the Valk neck to the other kit's head. As you'll be able to see, the test came out perfect. As the head is now, it will work in the transformation without having to take it off. I still plan to do a lot of sanding, putty, and a couple other mods to make it as close as possible to what I'm doing. I think you guys can figure it out now, and if anyone wants to spill it on what it is, go ahead. For those of you that do know, it's gonna be a lot more work before this thing is done. Feedback is always welcome.

post-582-129175473851_thumb.jpg

post-582-129175475404_thumb.jpg

post-582-129175476997_thumb.jpg

post-582-129175478097_thumb.jpg

post-582-129175479105_thumb.jpg

It's going to be (hopefully) the VEA-1 "Platypus" http://www.macrossworld.com/macross/magazines/mg-oct2002-page-23.jpg I probably should've mentioned that the head comes from a 1/35 scale Patlabor kit with 3 different head attachments for the kit. I simply used the head that looks most like the piece I need, and will be doing a lot of modding and resculpting to get it where it needs to be. Today was a busy day trying to work out the details of leg connector piece, and attaching it to the side of the nose. I know how to do it, but it's gonna take a loooooot of work.

Today, I had a lot of errands to run, so I didn't get a chance to really do too much. If you look at the first pics, you'll notice that when rotating the front part of the nose to the left (or right), the upper portion sticks out too far on one side. While it's balanced linear in the rear, I decided to take a test piece second nose, and sand it down to round it off. This will take some of the uneven nose out of it. If successful with the test piece, I'll duplicate on the master piece (get it, masterpiece :wacko: ) and go from there. I also sanded down the leg connector bulges on the leg connector piece and the cover for the leg hinge. I'll need to putty some of that up and make it look nice and purdy. Reason for this is to simply make the nose easier to build.

I'm thinking of using the second leg connector nose piece from another unassembled Valkyrie for this project. Risky, yes, but it's probably the best way to get the legs to connect on the side I want them to. Lots of sanding now, so I'll put up some pics tomorrow.

I started work on the cockpit leg attachment, and using styrene to form a base to make the big sensor nose. One thing I noticed is that the kit that the original custom was done on, the nose shape is different, and is actually removed and fitted with a different one when transformed. The idea here that I'm trying to do is to avoid having to swap parts, and do all of that. I still wanna keep the "perfect transformation" aspect of it. To do that, the sides of the nose sensor that are back under the cockpit need to be modified, and the angles of the sensor need to be adjusted in order to add the leg attachment. I'm still working to see if I can make it more close to the original, but there may have to be some trade off.

Today I finally got around to starting the front of the Valkyrie. I'll be working from back to front on the nose. I will post pics tomorrow on how the leg connector harness will work, but I have figured out how I'm gonna make the swivel nose connect in battroid. Once I clean up a couple things, I'll seal up the cockpit and then start forming the framework in styrene for the nose. Little nervous about it as I've never really worked on a project this complex before, but if it works out with this section, the rest should be easy cakework. Still debating if I wanna create a custom head, or replicate the original Platypus head unit. I kinda wann put my own mark on this, and using the Patlabor head just as is right now is an awesome looking start IMO. What do you guys think about the head unit?

While the Patlabor head looks good, it is sort of recognizable as such. It probably wouldn't take much to modify that head to more closely match the Platypus design. But it's your project, and I understand if you want something more unique. I think the "ugly" Valks are awesome, especially the Platypus. I was considering a 1/48 build myself, but am hoping somebody makes a kit so I don't have to do all that scratchbuilding.

Hard to tell from the photos...are you using a VF-1D for the conversion? Making it a 2-seater?

While the Patlabor head looks good, it is sort of recognizable as such. It probably wouldn't take much to modify that head to more closely match the Platypus design. But it's your project, and I understand if you want something more unique. I think the "ugly" Valks are awesome, especially the Platypus. I was considering a 1/48 build myself, but am hoping somebody makes a kit so I don't have to do all that scratchbuilding.

Hard to tell from the photos...are you using a VF-1D for the conversion? Making it a 2-seater?

I was looking at the designs the original creator had, and it looks like he originally had it as a one seater. I'm gonna make it a one seater, only because the unassembled kit is a one seater. I could always chop out the back part and squeeze a 2nd seat in there, but it makes more sense in my opinion as being a one seater. I can see how training and surveilance valks would need twin seats, but this is a fighter, and aside from the electronic warfare devices that aren't mentioned, it's still a fighter, and usually only one man would be necessary. I will be using the Ostrich wings though. Sorry for no pics yet, I needed to fix some internal parts, and will be sealing the cockpit today, and putting the foundation for the nose on, including the leg attachment.

• 3 weeks later...

I know I've been out of this thread for awhile, but here's one of the later pics I'll be posting up until the nose is done. Here's a test shot with the base of the wide nose extending under the cockpit, this is all trial sized stuff, and is easily reshapable. Thanks to <EXO> for the sculpting product. What's most important in all this, is not the sculpting stuff, but...proof that the nose configuration I've devised indeed works. I'll probably do a "How it was done after the project is done, but for now, here's the messy pic of it standing. As always, thoughts, ideas, and comments always welcome.

post-582-129462329637_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jasonc

really interesting job i follow the progress certainly if you dont use the others part of the head i would like buy it

Send me a pm on what you're interested in. I have the head I used the neckpiece for, and a completely unassembled one. While I don't plan to use either, I haven't decided if I want to use one as a head swap for one of my other Yamatos, or as another custome work.

Great start!!! Love the Platypus. Will be continuosly hitting F5 :lol:

How did I miss this thread??

Thanks for the comment. After that test fit, transformation, and photo, I realized that while the transformation does work, and works just as well as the normal transformation, the sides of the new nose that go just under the cockpit limit the upper leg/thigh positions I can give it. Because of that, I redid that section of the nose extension, and have it curved on top and below, to allow the tapered section to let the legs move. I drafted a simple, but very effective base plate for it, and it seems to work much better (as well as looks a bit more clean).

Thanks to EXO's sculpting wax, I was able to test out the dimensions of the new nose, and to see just how easy the transformation would be (and for any unforseen issues). Turns out, there are none, so I am now going to get on with sculpting the nose after building a basic frame for it. I will also be clamping the socket piece that connects the nose to the cockpit, and it will leave it with a permanent fixed nose. Got a lot to do, so I will post up pics, hopefully somewhat soon.

Yesterday was a big day for this project. I've created a stopper for the rectangle gap that is on the leg connector, began sculpting the front of the nose (will require lots of sanding and work), and put the tail fins on the legs. I may need to adjust the location of the tail fins, and it will not work in GERWAlK, but depending on the aesthetics, it may have to be some give and take. I've also started on the backpack module. Right now, I'm cutting the styrene pieces, and will hopefully have the frame of it done by tomorrow.

Also, if anyone does recasting, and is willing to recast their 1/60 V2 Ostrich or Elintseeker wings, please let me know here or pm me. I may have stuff to trade for them, or can pay.

PHOTO UPDATE!!! OK, I've test fitted the legs with the tailfins on them, and they are a bit low. I am either going to slide up the tailfins a bit, make them a bit smaller so that they don't come so cloes to the bottom of the feet, or both. as far as everything else, it's still coming along. Let me know what you guys think. anyways, here you go.

post-582-129558277699_thumb.jpg

post-582-129558292893_thumb.jpg

post-582-129558298972_thumb.jpg

post-582-129558300318_thumb.jpg

Cool! It looks like you're making the tailfins and ventral fins able to pivot on joints at the root? Is that just for poseability? I was wondering how the tailfin modification would look...and it it looks great!

Can't wait to see this finished, keep up the good work.

Cool! It looks like you're making the tailfins and ventral fins able to pivot on joints at the root? Is that just for poseability? I was wondering how the tailfin modification would look...and it it looks great!

Can't wait to see this finished, keep up the good work.

I thought of making the tailfins be able to pivot, but after these test shots, the tailfins are quite long, and if they pivot, they'd give the valkyrie a lot less posability in Battroid, as they'd overlap the legs and cause the fins to knock each other while "walking". Today will be more sanding of the nose, and more work on the backplate modification. I'm trying to work a way that will allow the new modded backpack to lock onto the rear of the back, so that it is held nice and tight. I may construct a slide for the lock that is already part of the kit.

I've been working on the backplate setup so that the weight and extra mass of the pack doesn't weigh down and sag. Because of that possibility (test fits have it working fine without this), I've decided to integrate the back locking mechanism. my first attempt at doing this failed somewhat, but I've managed to make this work about as perfect as possible. In about 3 hours, I'll be smothing this out, and hope to get this part done by today. I still need to do the top of it, but so far, I think it's getting there. As always, comments, suggestions, and whatnot always welcome.

post-582-129607964225_thumb.jpg

post-582-129607966609_thumb.jpg

post-582-1296079687_thumb.jpg

Yesterday I put a fresh coat of primer on the nose and cockpit to see where the imperfections were, and there's a couple that I'll be puttying again to clean it up. I'm also not too happy with the choppy look of the leg connector piece, so I'll make that straight, and post up pics of the progress on that. other than that, I also primered the tail piece, and it looks pretty good. I will be etching in my panel lines soon on that.

After some primer, sanding, more resin, and a total refit of the backpack connector, I think it's looking pretty good so far. I still need more work on it, but it seems to look much better than it did before after some more modifications. Here's the latest pics taken about 10 minutes ago. Let me know what you guys think. I'm gonna need a good scribing tool, and a way to make the lines really straight. Anybody ever do that before, and is there a method to making them nice and straight, or is there another tool I can use to do that? You can tell on the back resin that I've tried it with some subpar tools, and it came out kinda bah!

post-582-129660879037_thumb.jpg

post-582-129660881671_thumb.jpg

post-582-129660883319_thumb.jpg