Have Bandai improved ?

Nicaragua

• 5 weeks later...

what's to improve? bandai is king of quality control. re: Japan pride in quality.

Their quality control for the most part is good. It isn't perfect but overall, it's not to the point where 1st releases are usually avoided. As for design, for transforming mecha, I think their Hobby Division ought to be used instead of Tamashii; look at how the reception by the fandom was for the 1/72 Macross F plamo compared to the 1/60 DX VF-25's. FLEX, from the Hobby Division, worked on the DX VF-27 and it's regarded as a significant improvement over the DX VF-25, and was more warmly received.

• 6 months later...

Just remind me of that I lately read about 2 complaints on their Soul of Chogokin series.

Broken leg out of the box for one (God Mars), and the other one has right-hand components on both arms (GX-59).

Personally I had several SICs which had broken joints out of the box (notorious on 555, Blade, Ryuki and Hibiki series).

They are nowhere like CMS, but not good enough to be proud of.

what's to improve?

I dunno... DESIGN??

bandai is king of quality control. re: Japan pride in quality.

Yes. So don't nobody say no mean sheet about Bandai lest the boss himself commit seppuku all over the mystical tatami-matted assembly factory. :rolleyes::wacko:

• 2 weeks later...

I wish they would standardize on scale instead of diff toy lines and scales of the same thing. With their resources, they could be a faster Yamato, producing the different macross vehicles in different macross series in the same scale.

Not with Gundam, DB and Naruto you can't go wrong but with Macross thats a different story, lately I've received my Hi-Metal VF-1S and I'm really disappointed, low QCin every way, they should called it Low-Metal. Only Yamato are the masters of the VF-1 series, if not perfect.

The HiMetal = “the high quality banpresto” line for me.

I hope the pocket valk idea continues for those who are interested in high quality toys at smaller sizes. What is it about the vf-1 himetal don't you like?

It's not better than 1/60 yamato v2, but it's a big step up from the chunky monkey. Just like the konig monster was to the older yamato monster. If bandai can do more pt toys (vf-0 maybe?) in this line I would be interested in them.

Although one thing they should think about in future is getting the gunpod to attach properly in fighter mode for future. (ie no modding required for vf19 or yf-19)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I was reading an article in (what I think is) the March issue of Figure Oh. In it, a Bandai rep mentions that the plans for the YF-19 and YF-21 Hi-metals are still going ahead.

I'm taking that with a pinch of salt, but we shall see.

I like the Hi-Metal line overall. I have no real complaints about the VF-1's, at least.

I was reading an article in (what I think is) the March issue of Figure Oh. In it, a Bandai rep mentions that the plans for the YF-19 and YF-21 Hi-metals are still going ahead.

I'm taking that with a pinch of salt, but we shall see.

I like the Hi-Metal line overall. I have no real complaints about the VF-1's, at least.

That's good to know, thanks. Won't be holding my breath though.

I actually just got the Blazer a couple of days ago.

I may have to dig up the old thread, but did anyone have any problems with the head? It seems the back of the head really impedes movement, and forces the chin to scrape the black paint on the nosecone; this wasn't a problem on the Kai. I guess I may have to sand down the back of that "helmet".

In fact, I think the head design is totally off.

Apart from that, it's quite a nice toy, though.

I think Bandai for the most part has great quality, the SOC line is near the top of QC and design no matter what line you compare it too. Is every figure released perfect? Of course not but which toy line in the world releases 100% perfect figures, be it SOC's or Maxgokins or Yamato Valks or whatever these may be "Adult Collectibles" but there still massed produced items built on a assembly line. They may not have the production numbers of say Transformers but their not assembled by magic elves in a mystical workshop in never never land either. Obviously Bandai and it's Macross Frontier products are improving, I don't think anyone can argue that the VF-27 is a distinct improvement compared to the VF-25 and the upcoming YF-29 will most likely improve on the VF-27. Just how much of a improvement they are achieving is debatable and probably not as high as collectors want but it's tough. Especially when you have stiff competition from a company like Yamato who has vast experience with transforming Valks and looks like it raised the bar again with the VF-19. It's hard to compete when the design process takes months and your competition is also designing new stuff too. It's not an excuse for Bandai or Yamato or any company to release sub-standard items or have a design that utterly fails but it is understandable if not forgivable when they do.

Edited by chen

As long as they are willing to improve and listen to feedback then they are ok in my book.

I didn't buy any vf-25 toys but I got the konig monster based on pics and the posability of it. You could argue that there is always room for improvement.

Yamato sometimes forgets stuff like not having chest lock for 1/60 yf-19 which surprised me. This is something small and easy to fix. So it's not like they are perfect all the time, but if they ignore the criticism and feedback they might think fans don't care that much about that stuff to be enough to affect thier chance of purchase.

Over a long period of time they can fine tune things as long as the fans are clear what it is in particular they think is bad about the toy.

Some people seem to get excited over small things like say, the ability to remove covers on the yf-19 head to see underneath, (placing importance on looks) while others like me look at things like durability over a long period of time and how secure everything holds together. (robot modes shouldn't have to suffer from floppy limbs or the upper half of the figure not being tightly held down - this increases the 'play' value of a toy to me because you shouldn't have to feel uncomfortable just holding it.)

If you are a fan of macross in general, try to be clear what it is you hate so it gets addressed early on. For example when yamato brought out the monster I thought having tampo printed markings would have reasonable given how little markings it has but then some complain they like to apply their own custom markings so they like LESS details. Who should they listen to more?

If you don't tell them what in particular you are angry about, it will be harder for them to cater to fans because they just interpret good sales as meaning they shouldn't change anything. Or if sales are crap, they might just decide there is no profit to be made from macross toys and then they just go back to doing re-releases of chunky monkey toys to vintage toy collectors only.

Japan Pride? All Made In China. :D

:lol:

But overall Bandai has money and vast resources. I look at their MG Gunpla line and it has been nothing but improvements. Same with SOC and then with the Macross Frontier. It was slow in QC but quickly improved and faster than Yamato. Yamato seems to be hit or miss in nature in terms of QC. Their Ingrams are great, and the Zoids Liger I have is very good. Now with the fire valk out I have heard nothing but good things. But I am still confident in the quality control and engineering of their collectibles. Same can be said for Takara-Tomy except the last MP Hot Rod Disaster.

Also, my friend in Japan said he read there was a PG Wing Custom Zero Version 2.0 coming out. Can anyone confirm?

Edited by slaginpit

Also, my friend in Japan said he read there was a PG Wing Custom Zero Version 2.0 coming out. Can anyone confirm?

Never heard about it, and chance of that is 0. RG Wing 0 may have a chance, but the rumor for next RG is Turn-A. Bandai will need to finish the MG Wing line first anyway.

Back on Macross, Bandai can still give us some surprises: The Konig Monster is just about A+ in all area. Looks close to line art with perfect transformation, good detail, good paint job, strong construction, and about 0 QC complain.

There was PG Wing Zero re-release but nothing new, just pearl-gloss finish and brand new box design.

Back to topic, I have 3 Macross toys/figures and 1 model from Bandai: DX VF-25F, DX VF-27. Armor Plus EX-Gear, and 1/100 YF-29. Other than minor paint chipping on DX 27, I have nothing to complain. The joints in my DXs are still tight and no sign of loosening. Maybe I just got lucky :rolleyes: . Also, I'm very impressed with Armor Plus EX-Gear, love that cockpit mode. Bandai should made more something like this, not necessarily another EX-Gears, but something other than just VFs.

I think there's a common misconception that if a company is large and has been around a long time that they should be releasing perfect products but that's just not true. If it was then General Motors would have the best most trouble free cars made and everything Microsoft releases would be perfect but that's just not the case. Sure companies like GM, Microsoft, or Bandai has enormous resources compared to other companies but at the end of the day it's people like you and me who design these things. In the end if you don't have the right design team and process' in place then no matter what company you are your product will be a "failure".

• 4 weeks later...

Not with Gundam, DB and Naruto you can't go wrong but with Macross thats a different story, lately I've received my Hi-Metal VF-1S and I'm really disappointed, low QCin every way, they should called it Low-Metal. Only Yamato are the masters of the VF-1 series, if not perfect.

It would be nice if Bandai remade Kyatto Ninden Teyandee merchandise again.

I think there's a common misconception that if a company is large and has been around a long time that they should be releasing perfect products but that's just not true. If it was then General Motors would have the best most trouble free cars made and everything Microsoft releases would be perfect but that's just not the case. Sure companies like GM, Microsoft, or Bandai has enormous resources compared to other companies but at the end of the day it's people like you and me who design these things. In the end if you don't have the right design team and process' in place then no matter what company you are your product will be a "failure".

Exactly. Bandai originally thought their Boys Hobby division could handle the VF-25 but obviously it was abysmal. Since then, FLEX -- who have a lot of experience designing valk toys -- has been doing most of the design work for them, meaning that essentially the VF-27 and YF-29 are like Yamato products in Bandai packaging.

If you need proof of how they have improved, look to the topics about the YF-29 and the new v.2 VF-25. :)

Well yes, but those are quite recent - as in the last few months.

i think it would be fair to say that their track record up to the release of the VF-27 point pretty shitty.

The himetal, the monster, the yf-29, etc and the upcoming vf-25 version 2 show they are improving.

Yamato have also improved so at the end of the day when they both compete for your dollars there is a rush to keep one-upping each other. I think the prices are high but since the releases are slow coming it's ok to me. One of the things that worried me was how the only thing that was done were vf-1 and less popular mecha get ignored. I'm willing to pay good money if the mecha is not as milkable as vf-1 (so many variants exist) which has been done to death.

(I'm a hypocrit since I bought vf-1 hi metal out of curiosity haha but whatever...would love to see the yf-19 and yf-21 hmetal some day, and maybe bandai or yamato can give us vf-4)

Some of the non-canon schemes are more interesting to me than the official stuff. I think bandai should do stuff with with monster like release a grey one or a brown one or something to see if they can get people to buy another.