More New Macross After Zero.

Roy Focker

I hope they do something between Macross and Plus....but if they want to do new Mecha (which I would assume that they would) I would think it would have to be later in the timeline. Considering the VF1 took some design elements from the F-14 and the 19 and 21 took some design elements from the 23 and X19 (or the Sukhoi) I wonder what they would base new mecha on...

A sequel to Escaflowne would be great but is there really room to expand that. More information is needed for sure.

I remember reading a while back that there's going to be an Escaflowne OVA series, it could be that. I don't remember when or where, so take it with a grain of salt guys! :p

I do hope it's a Macross project though, not that I'd mind more Escaflowne.

I don't want to even think about this as there's still a year left for Macross Zero.

I wonder, if they made a Macross that didn't focus on music or VF's, would it still be Macross? I've been watching Gundam 08th, and I like how they just gave em all RX-78's and concentrated more on story and character.

I think after this one they should do a SD version of the original macross TV series. Kinda like that little SD movie somebody made. THen they can start releasing More joke machines and SD stuff. I'd love a SD glaug or pod to go with my Joke machines. Or How about a SD Macross(SDF-1) like they showed in the intro to super robot wars alpha. You know I bet it would be super easy for them to make it. They could just take the voice and music tracks from the original and just add new animation. :)

I don't want to even think about this as there's still a year left for Macross Zero.

I wonder, if they made a Macross that didn't focus on music or VF's, would it still be Macross?  I've been watching Gundam 08th, and I like how they just gave em all RX-78's and concentrated more on story and character.

Just to nit pic those were RX-79[G]s :D

Well if you think about it Macross Plus wasn't that music oriented, not in the way 7 was. It was more for back ground music than a story element, so yeah you can have a Macross seris not focused on music.

Same with the VFs, I guess you can see them as "enchancements" like how the 19 and 21 enchanced Isamu and Guld's rivalry, but weren't the focus.

Edited by Druna Skass

1.Macross will "always" be about music.

2.Macross has & will always be character driven first & foremost

3.Mecha have always taken a back seat to characters & music.

4.7 was far from over the top, it was a natural progression of the setups from the initial TV series.

5.Plus had music as a huge emphasis, what were you watching? Hell, the pivotal moment came down to Myung waking up Isamu from Sharon's mind control with the emotions conveyed through her music (something else it shares with 7).

4.7 was far from over the top, it was a natural progression of the setups from the initial TV series.

I can buy into the whole converting sound energy into a weapon bit and the spiritia stuff. That part's not too far fetched. But a peace-loving valkyrie ace? Planes piloted by guitar? Faces on battroids?! BOOBIES ON PINK VF'S?!!

I know you love, 7, as I can tell from your avatar and your sig, but come on... 7 may have had its serious moments, but overall, it was far too much.

5.Plus had music as a huge emphasis, what were you watching? Hell, the pivotal moment came down to Myung waking up Isamu from Sharon's mind control with the emotions conveyed through her music (something else it shares with 7).

Well here is what it said on the back of the box of what I was watching...

Shoji Kawamori's Anime Masterpiece

Macross Plus

The Movie

My point was that the music in Plus was more of a tool, and enchancement than (in a sence) another charcater like it was in 7. The way I interpreted that pivotal part was not so much Myung's music as her voice getting though to Isamu. And as for Sharon, there are several ways to hypnotize people, I saw her song as an enhancement for the whole process of her taking control. The whole time I saw the music as a mood setter. Not to say I didn't like it or anything, hell I like Plus's soundtrack better than any other anime soundtrack.

Fact is people have diffrent interpretations on things and it's hardly life enhancing to argue who has the better or "right" POV...

Edited by Druna Skass

I wonder, if they made a Macross that didn't focus on music or VF's, would it still be Macross?  I've been watching Gundam 08th, and I like how they just gave em all RX-78's and concentrated more on story and character.

Yeah , I can´t understand how people are so eager to watch a new series when Macross Zero hasn´t even finished yet :huh:

Well , if you´re courious as to how would a Macross series feel like when the VF element is gone I would recommend you read Macross 7 Trash , it has nothing AT ALL to do with Macross 7 apart from the setting ,this work is VERY reminiscent of the original series (Hikaru-Misa-Minmay kinda relationship) , there´s also a lot of top-notch action and suspense , it´s more of a character driven Macross series but it´s certainly not a lame dramatic novel , and there´s an important and far more relevant focus on Max´s life than in Macross 7. There´s little to none VF appearances (only some VF-4 and VF-11s ) in the whole manga but you end up thinking that that´s how M7 should´ve been like (plot-wise) . The character development is quite deep (thanks to Mikimoto) as well and there´s an interesting Zentradi element to the end of the Manga. Music is second to the plot in this series so that´s something M7 haters will apreciate.

Edited by Aegis!

I can buy into the whole converting sound energy into a weapon bit and the spiritia stuff.

I wouldn't catagorize it as a weapon, but irregardless, how is it any more far-fetched than Lucas's use of the Force, Tomino's Newtype powers, X-men, Superman, any given U.S. comic superhero for that matter, and a veritable cornicopia of other applications of esper/chi, etc etc powers that appear in anime. You single it out like it's some anomoly amongst fiction when it's far from that. Hell, it's the most unique application in years.

-The passion & emtions generated from singing channeled into a usable energy, that energy used to move others into seeing past idiotic conflicts. This is what Macross has been about from the start.

That part's not too far fetched. But a peace-loving valkyrie ace?

It doesn't take killing to be a great pilot.

Planes piloted by guitar?

A guitar which is attached in a manner similar to the standard two control stick flight scheme, making it no different.

Faces on battroids?!

Just what the hell is wrong with that anyway? If you're going to argue that, then why not argue that every Valkyrie should use the standardized VF-1A large camera eye.

BOOBIES ON PINK VF'S?!!

On a highly stylized swan schemed VF-11MAXL. I appload Kawamori having the style to do such a thing. Hell, I can't remember it having been done since the female mecha in Mazinger (unless you count the female autobots in transformers).

All of these complaints being extremely superficial.

My point was that the music in Plus was more of a tool, and enchancement than (in a sence) another charcater like it was in 7. The way I interpreted that pivotal part was not so much Myung's music as her voice getting though to Isamu.

Her constant screaching didn't have any effect, if that was just the case, it would have. It was the feeling she put into her singing which reached Isamu, not just the noise she was making. That's the whole point.

And as for Sharon, there are several ways to hypnotize people, I saw her song as an enhancement for the whole process of her taking control. The whole time I saw the music as a mood setter. Not to say I didn't like it or anything, hell I like Plus's soundtrack better than any other anime soundtrack.

The whole point of Sharon (like the Jamming Birds in 7), was to show just why manufactured attempts at altering peoples emotions doesn't work. Instead of using emotion to trigger reactions in people, she was designed to alter their brain chemestry through lights & sounds, and used that ability to control people (once she became self aware). The true battle became one not between Isamu & Guld, not between Guld & the Ghost, not between Isamu & the Macross, but between Myung's true feelings expressed through her music, and Sharon's artificial control inflicted by music & light.

Fact is people have diffrent interpretations on things and it's hardly life enhancing to argue who has the better or "right" POV...

Different interpretations are well & fine, but being wrong is simply being wrong :)

Well, I'm hoping we do get a new Macross TV series rather than more Escaflowne. Of course, it would be great to have more Macross to watch and something to look forward to after Zero finishes next year.

And of course it also means we will get more new VF toys, model kits, music CDs and hopefully another new PS2 game based on the new series.

As long as the new series features plenty of VF action and some decent music then I'll be happy. To me, Macross without VFs is not Macross. I personally thought Macross 7 Trash was very disappointing.

And while I'm loving nearly everything about Macross Zero, I'm hoping a new Macross TV series would have more memorable music. Zero is the only Macross series so far where I cannot remember the music to hum or sing it :(

Anyway, if Kawamori does a new Macross series, I'm sure that he will take it in a new direction that none of us can even guess at.

Graham

Agreed, Graham... half the fun of more Macross is more Macross goodies. :)

I personally would love to see another TV series and/or movie. As much as I love Zero and Plus, the long waits for each volume kill me.

Plus, it would be great to see a full 30-50 episodes about a set of characters.

Unlike most everyone else here, though - I'd rather not see too many previous characters. I'd like a completely new story, new VF's, new battle fortress, etc. I want a full on space opera.

That would be awesome. Of course, it'll probably be something none of us expect.

Well, I'm hoping we do get a new Macross TV series rather than more Escaflowne. Of course, it would be great to have more Macross to watch and something to look forward to after Zero finishes next year.

And of course it also means we will get more new VF toys, model kits, music CDs and hopefully another new PS2 game based on the new series.

As long as the new series features plenty of VF action and some decent music then I'll be happy. To me, Macross without VFs is not Macross. I personally thought Macross 7 Trash was very disappointing.

And while I'm loving nearly everything about Macross Zero, I'm hoping a new Macross TV series would have more memorable music. Zero is the only Macross series so far where I cannot remember the music to hum or sing it :(

Anyway, if Kawamori does a new Macross series, I'm sure that he will take it in a new direction that none of us can even guess at.

Graham

Yes i agree with Graham on this matter, a Re-do of the TV series incorporating CG and 3D effects that was done in M0 but still retaining the original character drawings..maybe making them look abit better...more songs, expansion of the storyline would be cool. Maybe a re-do of the DYRL series would be nice again incorporating the CG and 3D effects found in M0. Who knows we maybe seeing M1 after M0, featuring the introduction of VF-1s into the anime as well as new songs.

Cheers

Graham

Yeah, the MZero OST songs were pretty much mediocre....

except for Sara's song. ^_^

It's different, but it is a classy theme. I like whistling it from time to time.

I'm hoping a new Macross TV series would have more memorable music. Zero is the only Macross series so far where I cannot remember the music to hum or sing it...

I don't know. I'm a big music fan, so it's always an integral part of films/anime for me, but the stuff in SDF Macross and DYRL? (while a bit catchy) was kind of annoying to me. It didn't make me want to commit seppuku or anything, but it was a bit on the cheezy side.

Macross Zero on the other hand, has tapped into contemporary music in an interesting way. The tracks are more theatrical than performance oriented. The track they play when Shin and Roy are duking it out in training is awesome! And Sara's little "make the flowers grow" song is haunting and pretty. I'd chalk up the "I can't hum it" factor to the fact that you haven't been exposed to it for almost 20 years. ;)

I wouldn't catagorize it as a weapon, but irregardless, how is it any more far-fetched than Lucas's use of the Force, Tomino's Newtype powers, X-men, Superman, any given U.S. comic superhero for that matter, and a veritable cornicopia of other applications of esper/chi, etc etc powers that appear in anime. You single it out like it's some anomoly amongst fiction when it's far from that. Hell, it's the most unique application in years.

-The passion & emtions generated from singing channeled into a usable energy, that energy used to move others into seeing past idiotic conflicts. This is what Macross has been about from the start.

I'm agreeing with you here. Go back to my post and read a little more carefully.

A guitar which is attached in a manner similar to the standard two control stick flight scheme, making it no different.

Hehe, huh? Okay. We should go and outfit our military aircraft with guitars instead of joystick and throttle. G major hits the afterburners and E minor drops the bomb.

Faces on battroids?!

Just what the hell is wrong with that anyway? If you're going to argue that, then why not argue that every Valkyrie should use the standardized VF-1A large camera eye.

Because there's absolutely no point to having mounts and noses on a robot. At least with the VF-1's you can argue that it has different sensor arrays and laser arrangements. With M7, it jus t becomes a circus.

All of these complaints being extremely superficial.

Well, anime is first and foremost something we watch. If it looks and feels like absolute crap, then really, what point is there to watching it? Apparently, you're a little TOO diehard-m7 for me, so there's really no point in arguing my point any further when we'll probably never see eye to eye over the issue.

This kind of thread about what a new Macross series will be is recurrent, I see. But I also see there are some people who don't understand what Macross (in the mind of the hory Froating Head) is and thus will be.

If you forget Gundam, you will understand better Macross. Macross is cheating mecha fans, giving them the most gorgeous mechas (without relying too much on the "it's powerful, then it's good" cliché) and the most choreographic action scenes, but with little actual action, and little of what a typical mecha fan want.

In a Macross series there will be a low number of deaths among main characters. The moral is that if you want to survive, you will survive. "Condemnation of the war" is a self-indulging hypocrisy for actually wanting to see a big slaughter. Humans can't learn anything from nichilism, while Kawamori's protagonists learn something during the series, and learning is not a sin which must be atoned. In this pessimistic era, characters will learn to go on in the world they created.

The enemies won't have old cannon fodder mechas. They will have right from the start kick ass mechas, which only Valkyries can stop, despite being somewhat inferior. There is a modern trend where more the protagonist whines, more powerful will be the mecha he will get. The protagonist of a Macross series will get a good but not invincible mecha, so he won't have the luxury to whine.

The series won't have a great militarist tone, it won't show cadets but free spirits. There will be civilians with an important role which is not to die in combat. The series won't sound like it has been written by a Zentradi who hasn't been "re-protocultured".

But if the producers will think that Kawamori in these years has been solding too low and he needs a mecha fan crowd pleaser with the super armor in each episode, I will enjoy it :p:p:p

I think the real deal for Kawamori is a reason why he shouldn't give post Macross 7 era Valkyries the former experimental big energy weapons. They are neither current real word technology or inventive sci-fi. I think Macross Zero will show a new kind of weapon or defense.

FV

Hehe, huh? Okay. We should go and outfit our military aircraft with guitars instead of joystick and throttle. G major hits the afterburners and E minor drops the bomb.

!

Because there's absolutely no point to having mounts and noses on a robot. At least with the VF-1's you can argue that it has different sensor arrays and laser arrangements. With M7, it jus t becomes a circus.

I think that it would be "E" that would drop the bombs.

Also, not to start anything, but being a circus was kinda the point of giving them faces. It's OK in my book whether you love or hate M7, but at least don't misunderstand it and hate it for the wrong reasons :)

It's OK in my book whether you love or hate M7, but at least don't misunderstand it and hate it for the wrong reasons.

I haven't seen M7, so I can't really comment, but guitars for control sticks sounds pretty stupid to me. Valkyries with human features in the face don't bother me too much, but it is contrary to the norm where Macross is concerned. What exactly do you consider "wrong reasons" for disliking M7?

It's OK in my book whether you love or hate M7, but at least don't misunderstand it and hate it for the wrong reasons.

I haven't seen M7, so I can't really comment, but guitars for control sticks sounds pretty stupid to me. Valkyries with human features in the face don't bother me too much, but it is contrary to the norm where Macross is concerned. What exactly do you consider "wrong reasons" for disliking M7?

I'm refering directly to the "Faces" comment. That's why I quoted it. It was the whole reason for my posting. I thought I had been pretty clear, but I guess I was not. For that, I must apologize.

I always knew there'd be another Macross serries after Zero. I mentioned once before that the last tiem we had a release of Macross anime, it was in twos (Mac 7 and Mac Plus). I just knew history was goign to repeat itself.

I'd like to see another show with the original Valks...maybe set with Max and Millia's squadron or another in that era just after the Megaroad departs...

If you forget Gundam, you will understand better Macross. Macross is cheating mecha fans, giving them the most gorgeous mechas (without relying too much on the "it's powerful, then it's good" cliché) and the most choreographic action scenes, but with little actual action, and little of what a typical mecha fan want.

That was the whole point. It wasn't meant to be mecha fanservice. It was meant to be an inversion of the usual Gundam mecha-action orgy by bringing characters to the fore and making them real human beings as opposed to just adjuncts to the machines.

I'm refering directly to the "Faces" comment. That's why I quoted it. It was the whole reason for my posting. I thought I had been pretty clear, but I guess I was not. For that, I must apologize.

Heh, so far the only show I'll let have faces on robots is transformers because they were actually closer to people except made out of metal. I'd love to hear a good explanation as to why a VF needs a face on it. :)