WORST Sci-Fi TV series of all time.....

taksraven

Why not? Almost every show we've mentioned on this thread is a kids show.

I know, and I think that makes the thread, not that cool. Stupid kids shows are abundant. In fact, MOST kid shows are turbo stupid. Its the shows that are planned to be for an adult audience, and are just a tard party are the only shows really worthy of discussion.

As I mentioned earlier:

That one with Linda Hamilton and that lion-man creature that she was in love with. That was so stupid I wanted to throw my tv out the window. (Apparently called Beauty and the Beast as stated above)

They were like DEAD SERIOUS with that sh!t.

Not sure if it qualifies as one of the worst, but "Something Is Out There" was pretty bad, despite having a nearly-naked Maryam d'Abo.

You certainly nailed the best part of the show, but I thought it was alright. Pretty ruthless alien they were up against. Leaving around the skins of those it killed. Nasty stuff. Did it go to series or just a "pilot"?

Taksraven

I know, and I think that makes the thread, not that cool. Stupid kids shows are abundant. In fact, MOST kid shows are turbo stupid. Its the shows that are planned to be for an adult audience, and are just a tard party are the only shows really worthy of discussion.

As I mentioned earlier:

That one with Linda Hamilton and that lion-man creature that she was in love with. That was so stupid I wanted to throw my tv out the window. (Apparently called Beauty and the Beast as stated above)

They were like DEAD SERIOUS with that sh!t.

I understand your argument and it is completely valid. To me, its like with films when most people say the worst film ever was "Plan 9 from Outer Space", but my logic is that it was a cheap shite film with low production values anyway, so who cares, its too easy to consider it worst ever.

My alternative suggestion for worst film ever (and yes, I know that there is a thread for this, I am just explaining a belief) would be Waterworld, for much the same reasons stated by Agent One for "Beauty and the Beast". They were dead serious with Waterworld, it cost a shiteload of money and it was a huge flop (yes I know it made its money back, blah blah.)

Thats why I started this thread with Galactica 1980, Earth 2 and Seaquest DSV, as I saw all three of these shows as cynical efforts by the studios to throw SF fans a bunch of crap and hope that SF fans would lap up any old bunch of crap.

Although you could also argue that it is wrong to produce childrens programming like it is crap too. Why should kids have to put up with such garbage. Thats why I loved Battle of the Planets as a child, as I could tell that it was a much more "serious" show (except for the added stuff like 7-Zark-7) and a cut above most American animated programs at the time that were aimed at "kids". Same goes for Star Blazers too.

Taksraven

Was that a show or a movie?

TV movie with a follow up TV show. Caught part of an episode once where Optimus Prime did the voice of the new version of "KARR," and the car somehow turned into a Bayformer. I think they probably got sued out of existence.

It started as a TV movie and continued as a series. But still, regardless of how bad it was, Team Knight Rider was worse.

I'm gonna say Team Knight Rider wasn't worse, since it had that cute blonde chick in it.

One of the reasons why the toys were overpriced was a mechanical gimmick wherein the pilot figure ejected if the target on the TV fired back. Also, the cost of the toys was to offset the show's overinflated budget (US$1 million per episode! In today's money, that would be over US$20 million - and for a children's show!).

Damn, that is one HUGE budget for kiddie fodder! If only they could have gotten better actors for the show.

Bah, totally forgot they made a new "Knight Rider."

You mean the one featuring Micheal Knight's "son" and a black Mustang? Yeah, that one was bad. I've never seen such a huge gathering of uncharismatic actors on one film set in my life. Sadly, the magic of the original 80's show is lost forever.

You certainly nailed the best part of the show, but I thought it was alright. Pretty ruthless alien they were up against. Leaving around the skins of those it killed. Nasty stuff. Did it go to series or just a "pilot"?

Taksraven

Something Is Out There actually made to series. After the somewhat good mini-series (in which you got to see some aliens), the entire series went basically like this: something strange is going on, looks like it could be aliens or paranormal activity. Our 2 lead characters investigate. In the end, it turns out it was just normal humans who had cooked up some scheme to make money, take power, or some other meh reason. The entire alien/paranormal angle for every episode was just misunderstood to be those things. The series last about half a year, until it was canceled. I wonder why? :wacko:

Something Is Out There actually made to series. After the somewhat good mini-series (in which you got to see some aliens), the entire series went basically like this: something strange is going on, looks like it could be aliens or paranormal activity. Our 2 lead characters investigate. In the end, it turns out it was just normal humans who had cooked up some scheme to make money, take power, or some other meh reason. The entire alien/paranormal angle for every episode was just misunderstood to be those things. The series last about half a year, until it was canceled. I wonder why? :wacko:

Not even half a year...just six episodes.

What's so bad about Airwolf?

Sure, the protagonist's name was weird (who names his son, "String-Fellow"?) but the story was plausible (if not realistic), and the chopper (IMO) looks way cool. To each his own, I guess.

Viper? I agree. Just another KR wannabe.

Aside from the aforementioned ability to hit Mach 1+ with a helicopter fuselage and shoot down fairly capable fighters like Mig-21's...

The most lolz however was when it flew to the edge of the atmosphere and the sky was like all dark and sh!t and you could see the curvature of the earth... so incredibly plausible given that actual helicopters cannot be used in extreme altitudes of Mt. Everest because the air is already too thin.

Anyways, that is not to say I disliked the show... in fact, I actually liked it. But for me bad = good, as bad has its own innate quality of good. Thus I love Astro Plan, Kate+8, Robotech, Gundam Wing, Dancing with the Stars, Ninja Warrior, and Star Wars Episode III.

Edited by Ghost Train

Aside from the aforementioned ability to hit Mach 1+ with a helicopter fuselage and shoot down fairly capable fighters like Mig-21's...

The most lolz however was when it flew to the edge of the atmosphere and the sky was like all dark and sh!t and you could see the curvature of the earth... so incredibly plausible given that actual helicopters cannot be used in extreme altitudes of Mt. Everest because the air is already too thin.

Anyways, that is not to say I disliked the show... in fact, I actually liked it. But for me bad = good, as bad has its own innate quality of good. Thus I love Astro Plan, Kate+8, Robotech, Gundam Wing, Dancing with the Stars, Ninja Warrior, and Star Wars Episode III.

Heheh, actually I mean the plotline itself was plausible given the fact that it's the early 80's we're talking about...not the action scenes.

AFAIC, "Disgruntled Vietnam vet steals prototype super-chopper to hold a hostage to get back brother, and ends up working for secret governmental agency" is at least slightly more believable than "ex-cop solves crime with talking car."

Don't get me wrong, though. I loved KR as a kid, but the premise itself isn't exactly believable.

Heheh, actually I mean the plotline itself was plausible given the fact that it's the early 80's we're talking about...not the action scenes.

AFAIC, "Disgruntled Vietnam vet steals prototype super-chopper to hold a hostage to get back brother, and ends up working for secret governmental agency" is at least slightly more believable than "ex-cop solves crime with talking car."

Don't get me wrong, though. I loved KR as a kid, but the premise itself isn't exactly believable.

that's funny because we're a lot closer to KR today than we are to airwolf.

A lot of the stuff shown in KR like the AI, drive by wire, computer system, a lot of that we can do today (to varying degrees). We're still no where near a bullet proof helicopter that can hit mach speeds

that's funny because we're a lot closer to KR today than we are to airwolf.

A lot of the stuff shown in KR like the AI, drive by wire, computer system, a lot of that we can do today (to varying degrees). We're still no where near a bullet proof helicopter that can hit mach speeds

I know. Ironic, isn't it?

Since no one else will say it, I will. "The X-Files." Sure it started out fun & mysterious, but the whole thing super crapped on itself with a long drawn out "alien" mystery that never did go anywhere. Then when Duchovney left, and that alien mysery was suedo explained, entirely different aliens popped up with super terminator style aliens and much wtf. Plus, far too much of the show was focused on that news story about some dude emitting noxious gas in a hospitol. I officially dub the X-Files to be a failure.

Since The X-Files was brought up, does Baywatch Nights count as sci-fi? After all, it attempted to jump the X-Files bandwagon during season 2 when ratings went under.

I'll allow it. The fake tits factor alone in regular Baywatch should qualify it as sci-fi.

Airwolf = NOT SF.

Ditto Blue Thunder. ^_^

Yeah, that was my first thought. Action series category? Knight Rider was more SF.

Since no one else will say it, I will. "The X-Files." Sure it started out fun & mysterious, but the whole thing super crapped on itself with a long drawn out "alien" mystery that never did go anywhere. Then when Duchovney left, and that alien mysery was suedo explained, entirely different aliens popped up with super terminator style aliens and much wtf. Plus, far too much of the show was focused on that news story about some dude emitting noxious gas in a hospitol. I officially dub the X-Files to be a failure.

I always thought the X-Files was crap (still nowhere near as bad as the shows I mentioned at the start of this thread though. )

I couldn't stand the Conspiracy Theory/brand of Pseudoscience that it peddled. (Yes, I know that Pseudoscience is the basis of most SF)