The Gurren Lagann Thread II.

The old thread is dead. It's not here anymore! But on our backs, and in our hearts, it lives on in us!

^_^^_^^_^

Let's start this thread off with a Dai-Gurren sized kick. Here's the trailer to Gurren Lagann Parallel Works 2.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72I0Mf2vAQQ

According to ANN, Aniplex of America will release the Gurren Lagann movie dvd's in july for the north american market!

Now that's a fast release. Unfortunately Bandai Entertainment's website will only ship within that market....

Oh well. Some sacrifices will have to be made.

they may release a normal version. I shall wait out for that

Oooh, you can bet on that! Yakuza Lagann is missing the wings.

But you can also bet on it being (altogheter now) " a tamashii web shop exclusive" <_< .

Still, there is another company making a Gurren Lagann figure. Could turn out nice:

Riobot series emphasizes on design, articulation and quality

Edited by Twoducks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not excited about the KA Metal Composite Gurren Lagann. Not only do the tatoos bother me, but also two points:

1) Poseability - or rather lack there-of.

2) Somewhat related.... this figure lacks any hint of insane dynamism. The Kaiyodo Revoltechs are at least extremely dynamic. Usually, I don't like Revoltechs - I prefer bigger heaftier versions... but in the case of Gurren Lagann... it's hard to find anything beyond Kaiyodo that does some real justice to the mecha...

Pete

Well in all fairness - I don't know what people expected.

I mean - it's a version KA - which as I understand it means Katoki - which further means "I'm going take this mecha and re-image it to give it a heafty, industrial 'realistic' feel."

I didn't like what Katoki did to the RX-78-2, so obviously I wasn't expecting to like the take on Gurren Lagann... or am I wrong, an does KA stand for something totally different here?

In any event - I'm not sake all KAs suck - I like the Unicorn KA and am probably going to build Victory KA .... but then again, there's never been a Unicorn anime - and I'm presuming the new one uses the KA design anyways. Meanwhile, I've never seen Victory, so I don't have a frame of reference etched into my mind.

With Gurren Lagann - it's supposed to be wild, zanny, crazzy and improbably dynamic. This thing looks like it was modeled after Kotobukiya's Plane Model Gurren Lagann and given bendable knees and a couple of accesories, not to mention a shiny paint job and relatively big drill.

But it totally lacks dynamism - it just doesn't have any thrill in it. And I think the poses you see in the promo pics are the full extent of what it can do - which isn't much, because look at how you can't pose the feet when the knees are beant - and it doesn't come with a stand anyways - so you won't be able to do its' signature ONE "dynamic" pose anyways without some sort of outside support.

Then again, I read somewhere that metal composites weren't very poseable anyways - like the GFF Unicorn....? :o

I dunno. In any case - this one is an easy pass.

It's also a dissapointment, because yes - a nice big heafty Gurren Lagann would be nice.

But in the meantime - Kaiyodo's stuff isn't just adequate - it's really awesome .I mean - they put some real effort into their GL figures. Especially Gurren + Lagann. Lagann is so small yet so wonderfully poseable, with interchangeable faces, drill-arms and his signature "bullet drill" mode.

Really excellent work. Bandai didn't put any effort into this.

Pete

Well in all fairness - I don't know what people expected.

I mean - it's a version KA - which as I understand it means Katoki - which further means "I'm going take this mecha and re-image it to give it a heafty, industrial 'realistic' feel."

I didn't like what Katoki did to the RX-78-2, so obviously I wasn't expecting to like the take on Gurren Lagann... or am I wrong, an does KA stand for something totally different here?

In any event - I'm not sake all KAs suck - I like the Unicorn KA and am probably going to build Victory KA .... but then again, there's never been a Unicorn anime - and I'm presuming the new one uses the KA design anyways. Meanwhile, I've never seen Victory, so I don't have a frame of reference etched into my mind.

With Gurren Lagann - it's supposed to be wild, zanny, crazzy and improbably dynamic. This thing looks like it was modeled after Kotobukiya's Plane Model Gurren Lagann and given bendable knees and a couple of accesories, not to mention a shiny paint job and relatively big drill.

But it totally lacks dynamism - it just doesn't have any thrill in it. And I think the poses you see in the promo pics are the full extent of what it can do - which isn't much, because look at how you can't pose the feet when the knees are beant - and it doesn't come with a stand anyways - so you won't be able to do its' signature ONE "dynamic" pose anyways without some sort of outside support.

Then again, I read somewhere that metal composites weren't very poseable anyways - like the GFF Unicorn....? :o

I dunno. In any case - this one is an easy pass.

It's also a dissapointment, because yes - a nice big heafty Gurren Lagann would be nice.

But in the meantime - Kaiyodo's stuff isn't just adequate - it's really awesome .I mean - they put some real effort into their GL figures. Especially Gurren + Lagann. Lagann is so small yet so wonderfully poseable, with interchangeable faces, drill-arms and his signature "bullet drill" mode.

Really excellent work. Bandai didn't put any effort into this.

Pete

I know you've been out for a bit, so I figured I'd mention it again, the Gurren Lagann movies are coming U.S. only straight from Bandai. If I had the extra scratch, I'd pick you up a set, but I'm sure there's someone around who can.

Because I'm not region one and buying Gurren Lagann on DVD in Europe costs 100 GBP - which is like 150 USD ... for 27 episodes of an anime :o

I'll probably save up for it and buy it anyways... but the price just blows... :(

And I just took a look at my GL Revoltechs....and I'm not pleased with them either actually...

Grouchy Pete :)

F@CK IT!!! I CHANGED MY MIND AND PRE-ORDERED THE BLOODY COMPOSITE VERSION KA!!!

Look at that big bad drill! Who cares if it can't pose - at least it won't fall apart like a Yamato or be made of bendy rubbery plastic and require me to wear out the hole in each limb sticking it into the revolver joint every time I want to crazy pose it!

It'll likely be sturdy and solid and that's fine. Besides - he has removable glasses, and comes with TWO glasses that he can use as weapons and extra drills as well.

I'm throwing caution to the wind! I'm annoyed with the Revoltech Gurren Lagann figures despite what I wrote above because for all their poseability, they're made of crappy playdo plastic like most everything Revoltech.

In fact - the more I think about it, the more I'm coming to realize that ONLY Bandai makes quality stuff [And Maxfactory does a better job with anime girl figures than Kaiyodo]. So I'm going to trust them on this Gurren Lagann.

Besides - it's like the FIRST AND ONLY serious sturdy Gurren Lagann figure EVER MADE except for those old ones from Kodokawa or whoever made those big expensive ones.

It's not like there's 50 figures in this line to buy. It's ONE damn figure. I'm getting it! Screw the tatoos!!

I'll just tell myself that this is the post-anime Gurren Lagann - the tatoos will have some back story.

Maybe Simon started seeing them in his mind, and maybe Megatron wants what's in his mind so Simon has to go to Egypt but then he first has to go to a museum before he goes to egypt where he neeeds to take his pants off and get tazed but then he goes to school before that happens where he betrays Nia with a beaitiful girl that turns out to be the Terminator but Nia saves him (for a change) and then they go to Egypt.

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

LOL @ Pete :lol:.

as for me, i'll either wait for a SOC ver. or at least a Composite ver. w/ wings (for me, wings > giga drill)... and maybe by the time they release one with wings, it'll have a lot less tats. but then again, Bandai might be planning to piss on us again w/ a web exclusive GL wing add-on set.