Thanks! Unfortunately not, those days are behind me. Last contest i entered was in 09 i believe. Now in days its too advanced that i wouldn't even consider competing :D

That's a shame. It might not have the flash of a full-on custom or a diorama, but it's easily one of the finest jobs I've seen. I certainly don't have the skills (or patience) to get my models looking like that! (That's why I stick to HG and RG.)

Met my 2015 goal and finished the MG Hi-Nu Ka today. :D i think next up i want to build something simple. Maybe one of the Wing MG kits

Anubis some very nice modelling there, fantastic job!

How do you go about doing the "used" edges on the kit?

I am currently doing the same MG kit myself, so your Hi-Nu Gundam has just become a challenge for me to do good on mine and meet yours.

Turns out it was a Gunpla Christmas for me after all. I finally got to see my parents this afternoon. My dad's still pretty weak and he lost way too much weight, but getting to see his granddaughter perked him up a bit. We were finally able to exchange gifts, too, and it turns out he got me an HGUC Zeta Plus (Unicorn version). Not super far along on it, but I love the design. My only complaint is that, like the Delta Plus, it's too much gray. Seriously, there's one little blue runner for some of the feet parts, a white runner with some vents, and the rest of the runners are gray.

I'm sort of tempted now to buy a second one (and a second Delta Plus, for that matter) and do custom jobs with them. That's low on the priority list, though. Gunpla-wise, I still have to get the RG Red Frame and REVIVE Qubeley, not to mention several other HGUC Unicorn kits I want and any other RGs that come out by the time I actually get around to doing these imagined customs...

Guest davidwhangchoi

Turns out it was a Gunpla Christmas for me after all. I finally got to see my parents this afternoon. My dad's still pretty weak and he lost way too much weight, but getting to see his granddaughter perked him up a bit. We were finally able to exchange gifts, too, and it turns out he got me an HGUC Zeta Plus (Unicorn version). Not super far along on it, but I love the design. My only complaint is that, like the Delta Plus, it's too much gray. Seriously, there's one little blue runner for some of the feet parts, a white runner with some vents, and the rest of the runners are gray.

I'm sort of tempted now to buy a second one (and a second Delta Plus, for that matter) and do custom jobs with them. That's low on the priority list, though. Gunpla-wise, I still have to get the RG Red Frame and REVIVE Qubeley, not to mention several other HGUC Unicorn kits I want and any other RGs that come out by the time I actually get around to doing these imagined customs...

glad you got to meet your folks and got gunpla! post some pics when you're done :wub:

thanks again for the gracious gift you sent :)

i was looking at rg blue frame last night and thinking of getting it even though i can't build it right now but i finally found a rg wing ew pearl color kit that was looking for a long time B))

Anubis some very nice modelling there, fantastic job!How do you go about doing the "used" edges on the kit?I am currently doing the same MG kit myself, so your Hi-Nu Gundam has just become a challenge for me to do good on mine and meet yours.

Thanks! I used Tamiya Weathering Master F, the gunmetal color. Just lightly rub it all over the raised edges :) its needs to be applied over a flat top coat and do not clear coat over it. Also dont handle the kit too much for a couple of days so it doesnt rub off on your hands when handling.

that is hot!!

Thanks buddy! :)

Minus points for mislabeling it as 1/144. If that's 1/144, the real Fumina must be some 20 meters tall. I remember doing some estimates and the "scale," if there is one, is closer to 1/10 to 1/12.

Which makes me wonder if it used MG Wing wings or the HGAC Wing wings (I'm guessing the latter).

Minus points for mislabeling it as 1/144. If that's 1/144, the real Fumina must be some 20 meters tall. I remember doing some estimates and the "scale," if there is one, is closer to 1/10 to 1/12.

Which makes me wonder if it used MG Wing wings or the HGAC Wing wings (I'm guessing the latter).

According to the box, Super Fumina is 24.5 meters tall.

Finished the inner frame of the Nu Ver. Ka. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with it considering I have never attempted this level of detail on a kit before. The gold wasn't how I wanted it to come out but I had to roll with what I got.

20160103_224929.jpg

20160103_224944.jpg

20160103_230419.jpg

20160103_225326.jpg

20160103_225159.jpg

20160103_225600.jpg

20160103_225451.jpg

20160103_225057.jpg

20160103_225144.jpg

20160103_225131.jpg

20160103_230352.jpg

20160103_230404.jpg

20160103_225223.jpg

Edited by badboy00z

Are you looking for a brighter color/sharper contrast against the rest of the frame? Might I suggest

1 - black/primer

2 - silver or chrome or other metallic color

3 - clear yellow

It seems you went with a straight metallic gold color, no? Otherwise, nice clean job so far. Are you doing the armor as well, or are you doing a just-the-frame look?

Are you looking for a brighter color/sharper contrast against the rest of the frame? Might I suggest

1 - black/primer

2 - silver or chrome or other metallic color

3 - clear yellow

It seems you went with a straight metallic gold color, no? Otherwise, nice clean job so far. Are you doing the armor as well, or are you doing a just-the-frame look?

I have a MG Sinanju OVA ver coming and I'm planning on the gloss black, Alclad chrome and clear yellow for the trim and emblems and clear red for the armor to get the "titanium" look. Most of the gold pieces have a silver base and then the metallic gold. The gold is Krylon metallic brass. lol. I will be doing the armor but it would be a shame to cover up the frame. haha

I have decided to not paint the white because spray painting white sucks. Not entirely sure if I'll paint the dark blue pieces in German Grey like I originally planned.

Finished the inner frame of the Nu Ver. Ka. Overall I'm pretty satisfied with it considering I have never attempted this level of detail on a kit before. The gold wasn't how I wanted it to come out but I had to roll with what I got.

[sNIP]

Looks rad. It's too bad more of the inner frame isn't exposed on the Nu Ver.Ka. They really put a lot of effort into the detailing. After my dry-fit, I decided I'd just go with flat grey for the whole inner frame, because I didn't want to turn it into a diorama and there would be no way to show off any niftier paint work. I really like the stacked layers concept you've used, with gold on top of silver on top of gold. Nice touch. Have you considered using copper tones anywhere?

Oh. Well. I feel rather daft, then. I thought it was supposed to be based on the character Fumina, not like an actual... robot...? (I never watched BF.)

Well, it is. It's a Gundam, designed to look like Fumina, in-show-in-canon. Because one character is really obsessed with her and made his Gundam look just like her. (and it's also a really cheap way for the show to add a new "Gundam", if it just looks like an existing character design)

Finished my Zeta Plus. Sorry for the lousy pics; since having a baby my setup has changed.

post-187-0-57020000-1451967738_thumb.jpg

As far as kits go, I enjoyed this one. I like the design of the Zeta Plus; it's similar to the regular Zeta, but with slightly different skirt armor and head, different shield, slightly more rounded lower legs, and wings that are more similar to the Delta/Hyaku Shiki than regular Zeta's funky backpack. For the most part, I actually think the changes, especially the wings, are an improvement over the regular Zeta. One oddity, though, is that there's no thrusters on the end of the tail binder. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me; the point of the tail binder on Zeta is partly the thruster and partly the additional limb for AMBAC. Now, this model of Zeta Plus (the A1) is for Earth-use, negating the benefits for AMBAC, so without the thruster it's just deadweight. Why didn't the designers just eliminate it? I digress. As a kit, like I said before, my only real complaint is the lack of color. Aside from a few stickers, a few splashes of white around the vents, and the blue feet the entire kit is two shades of gray. At least the Delta Plus has some more blue in the torso! Animation-accurate, I suppose, but again it almost makes me want to get a second one and do a custom paint job.

I dig the Zeta Plus's Waverider mode a lot more than the regular Zeta's. In fact, it's ranking up there with the Delta Plus for my favorite Waverider mode.

post-187-0-05583400-1451967747_thumb.jpg

As is the norm for an HG kit, the model doesn't transform. You take it apart and swap pieces with special parts made for the Waverider mode.

post-187-0-02201200-1451967768_thumb.jpg

I'll give the Zeta Plus a lot of credit here. Unlike the Delta, most of the MS-mode parts are used. Really, just the head, torso, thighs, and shoulder armor are left. The arms, lower legs, wings, tailbinder, shield, and skirt armor are used on the Waverider, and it's pretty simple to take those parts off of the MS and put them on the Waverider. Compare that to the Delta Plus, which had you disassembling the feet to replace parts and moving some of the leg and knee parts around and it's a walk in the park.

post-187-0-00977800-1451967758_thumb.jpg

Looks rad. It's too bad more of the inner frame isn't exposed on the Nu Ver.Ka. They really put a lot of effort into the detailing. After my dry-fit, I decided I'd just go with flat grey for the whole inner frame, because I didn't want to turn it into a diorama and there would be no way to show off any niftier paint work. I really like the stacked layers concept you've used, with gold on top of silver on top of gold. Nice touch. Have you considered using copper tones anywhere?

Thanks! I'm not that big of a fan of copper color. I wouldn't know where to use it really and replacing the gold with copper wouldn't look as good IMO. It took some thinking on how to separate the colors as I didn't want too much of one color in one area. The feet looked bland after doing the legs so I added the silver and gold which wasn't originally planned but it turned out nice.

In addition to the Zeta Plus, it occurred to me that I've built a handful of kits since the birth of my daughter that I never shared here.

First up, with special thanks to davidwhangchoi, are the seraphim parts for RG Wing Zero.

post-187-0-64615200-1451969967_thumb.jpg

Not really sure how I feel about this. On the plus side, more than any other kit I've built, Wing Zero was practically begging for a base. The seraphim kit provides that, with an arm that can bend to a lot of different angles. You can use the included pegs to angle the base, allowing the inserted artwork to show better. Now, things is, the feathers themselves, both the plastic ones and the ones on the artwork, strike me as silly. Yes, the help capture that moment in the Endless Waltz movie, and it's a stylistic effect... but angel feathers flying off of a metal weaponized robot is just ludircrous. To be honest, while I have no issues with either version of Wing or the TV version of Wing Zero, I've never liked the wings on the EW version of Wing Zero.

Next up we have the Guncannon REVIVE version.

post-187-0-07729700-1451969977_thumb.jpg

Unless you have an aversion to the 1/144 scale, I highly recommend this kit! It's not the most complicated model you'll ever build, but the result is great. It's solid, very posable, and manages to make the Guncannon (a mobile suit I've always thought of as "dumpy") pretty cool.

Then there's the Zeta II.

post-187-0-66244800-1451969987_thumb.jpg

I don't think there's anything wrong with this kit, per se. My issues are really more with the mobile suit it's modeling. It starts off ok... take the Methuss, rework it so it looks like Zeta Gundam, give it more (and bigger) guns. The problem is from the waist down. It's pointy where it doesn't need to be in the knees, crotch, and feet. Especially the feet. They look so stupid to me. I'd say pass, unless you really like the design.

Like the Zeta Plus, it's pretty easy to convert the Zeta II to Waverider mode, but that's largely due to the fact that so much of the mobile suit isn't used. And the Waverider mode isn't really bad, but I prefer the sleeker lines of the Zeta Plus.

post-187-0-12457100-1451969995_thumb.jpg

Speaking of needlessly pointy mobile suits, I'll conclude with the Delta Gundam Kai.

post-187-0-10892900-1451970003_thumb.jpg

From the waist up, I love the Delta Kai. The colors are nice, the new shoulder armor is cool, and the head is more Gundam and less Hyaku Shiki, and who can say no to the addition of fin funnels? The problem is, again, from the waist down. The Delta/Delta Plus's skirt and knees are replaced with large knee spikes and hip armor with so many points it's practically serrated. Then there's the shield... it's an utterly massive affair, nearly as big as the mobile suit itself. It's also the bulk of the Waverider mode.

post-187-0-52544600-1451970025_thumb.jpg

If you've only got room in your heart and your Detolf for one Delta-series, I'd say go for the Delta Plus instead.

Now, things is, the feathers themselves, both the plastic ones and the ones on the artwork, strike me as silly. Yes, the help capture that moment in the Endless Waltz movie, and it's a stylistic effect... but angel feathers flying off of a metal weaponized robot is just ludircrous. To be honest, while I have no issues with either version of Wing or the TV version of Wing Zero, I've never liked the wings on the EW version of Wing Zero.

Considering some of the other EW designs, I'm always surprised that some people take issue with this one in particular. The Tallgeese and Altron have literally impossible tentacle designs, and the Deathscythe Hell is a bat. The Heavyarms's shoulder missile launchers cannot physically house the missiles they launch. And the Sandrock's heat shield is a cape. Having feathered wings is nothing more egregious for Gundam than any of those.

Next up we have the Guncannon REVIVE version.

You might be interested in both the Guncannon Mass Production Type and the GM Cannon II. Both big, bulky Guncannon spinoffs, both super fun and imposing. The latter of the two is newer and has greater articulation. The former only costs about $5 from HLJ.

If you've only got room in your heart and your Detolf for one Delta-series, I'd say go for the Delta Plus instead.

The only reason I'd get the Delta Kai is for that gun, which was part of the original Delta Plus design. Everything about it is otherwise too busy. Too pointy, as you said.

Considering some of the other EW designs, I'm always surprised that some people take issue with this one in particular.

It... has... feathers.

The Tallgeese and Altron have literally impossible tentacle designs,

Considering they've been done on models, what makes you say they're impossible? The length? Anime magic.

and the Deathscythe Hell is a bat.

Demon wings on a mobile suit inspired by the grim reaper for psychological effect? It's hardly the more "realistic" military look I prefer, but at least it doesn't have feathers.

The Heavyarms's shoulder missile launchers cannot physically house the missiles they launch.

More anime magic.

And the Sandrock's heat shield is a cape.

I just don't think of it as a heat shield. I think of it as a way to keep sand off of it

Having feathered wings is nothing more egregious for Gundam than any of those.

I wouldn't bother me as much if the feathered wings were on a later model. Like Deathscythe, there's a certain psychological aspect to it. But Wing Zero was supposed to be the prototype from which all the other Gundams were derived. Why does a prototype have freaking angel wings? What purpose could they possibly serve? Why do they have such an organic look? Why do they flap (and what good is flapping in space? And even if I accept that, for some reason, the doctors decided that organic-looking flapping angel wings with little movable feathers on the edges was cool, those feathers should definitely NOT fall off and flutter around it IN SPACE.