What Current Anime Are You Watching Version v3.0

wolfx

Just watched Steamboy last night on my new TV. Seeing how the movie ended, I thought there would be more followup material but I see nothing of that sort :(.

Didn't really hit me until near the end that the grandfather was voiced by Patrick Stewart.

img2214m.th.jpg

You couldn't tell it was like in your face. His voice is so distinguishable like tom Selleck's and Morgan freeman :lol:

anyhow whats with all the love for vandred. I tried, Gawd knows I tried. What awful animation, and the story line was way to faced paced. Also good to see star driver gathering some pace in background story but still hate that DBZ like fights at the middle or end of every show. The last episode showcased some new anime about demon hunters. But the title was in Japanese. Anyone catch that? Can anyone tell me what the English title is

You couldn't tell it was like in your face. His voice is so distinguishable like tom Selleck's and Morgan freeman :lol:

I know! It's just that I wasn't paying since my mom was on the phone and I had to walk back and forth helping my dad with a CAD program. =\

Just saw two patlabor movies, WX13 and "The Movie". I was surprised by how little mecha action was in either one (especially 13), and even more surprised that I liked them anyway. (not that I'm only a mecha person, but renting one called Patlabor I expected mecha to be more "front and center")

Going to look for more Patlabor stuff soon.

Mecha - in case someone wants to get snooty, by mecha I'm refering to humanoid robots/vehicles. The show calls any mechanical box a Labor, but it just isn't the same...

The Patlabor movies are much darker and political then the TV-series and OVA. The latter are more comedy/slice-of-life type shows. WXIII is the weakest movie of the three but I like Patlabor II the least (which comes chronologically after WRXIII) as the main cast lost much of their sparkle when moving beyond SV2.

Started watching Kaze no Stigma. The red hair girl, Ayano, has the same explosive temper as Chidori Kaname from Full Metal Panic. So far, it is enjoyable with the mix of comedy and action.

Finally found my Konpeki no Kantai episodes and watched the first one last night. Man that was painful and I get the feeling that finishing this is going to be a real chore. My description of the series is, "the most offensive anime ever that doesn't involve misogyny or child molestation."

I'm onto Umi no Triton since a few days, the very first TV series entirely directed by Tomino: it's very different than the original manga by Tezuka but enjoyable nonetheless

Finished watching Gundam ZZ. I guess it's one of those things were if you have really low expectations, you won't get as dissapointed and viceversa. As I had been warned, the first third of the series was dismal, but then things got much better (more the Gundam one comes to expect basically) as the story moves on. Wouldn't watch it again, but ZZ served its purpose since now I can finally watch Char's Counterattack.

Liked seeing that Kamille got a sweet ending after all the punishment he went through in Zeta. I was also surprised to see Sayla Mass again in what seemed a very odd role as Judau's sisters saviour.

Finished watching Gundam ZZ. I guess it's one of those things were if you have really low expectations, you won't get as dissapointed and viceversa. As I had been warned, the first third of the series was dismal, but then things got much better (more the Gundam one comes to expect basically) as the story moves on. Wouldn't watch it again, but ZZ served its purpose since now I can finally watch Char's Counterattack.

Liked seeing that Kamille got a sweet ending after all the punishment he went through in Zeta. I was also surprised to see Sayla Mass again in what seemed a very odd role as Judau's sisters saviour.

Char's counterattack is probably the worst UC Gundam production EVER. :mellow:

Huh. I like it better than F91, and WAAAAY better than 08th MS Team. :mellow:

F91 is passed a little too fast but overall it's enjoyable. 08th MS team had weak characters and story but at least it looked good and had VERY good combat sequences.

Char's counterattack is Nothing but people spouting the political equivalent of technobabble, Quess being the most useless bitch ever and Hathaway being even worse. The actual battles, besides being few and far between, are painfully boring in terms of actual action and ruined by even more useless exposition.

My biggest problem with Char's counterattack though is that Char's character is completely ruined all for the sake of having this final showdown between him an Amuro that doesn't even have a satisfactory conclusion. Nothing that Char does makes any sense and runs completely counter to what was established about the character in 0079 and Zeta.

I'm not a gundam fan and have seen only a handful of series but I'm gonig to agree with anime52k8 Char's Counter attack was annoying.

Yeah, I can't stand Quess and Hathaway. I can tolerate nonsensical characters from SEED Destiny better than them. The rest of the movie is good IMO.

Just saw two patlabor movies, WX13 and "The Movie". I was surprised by how little mecha action was in either one (especially 13), and even more surprised that I liked them anyway. (not that I'm only a mecha person, but renting one called Patlabor I expected mecha to be more "front and center")

Going to look for more Patlabor stuff soon.

Mecha - in case someone wants to get snooty, by mecha I'm refering to humanoid robots/vehicles. The show calls any mechanical box a Labor, but it just isn't the same...

WXIII is OK, I guess. The first movie is pretty good story-wise, I like it, but I just wish that there was more MOVEMENT, to say nothing of little mecha action. I mean, it's called animation, Oshii, try it. He once made a movie called "Talking Heads", but as far as I'm concerned, all of his movies are just a bunch of talking heads. Exposition from start to finish. He should write stage plays instead. Dear God, "Patlabor 2" was boring as all damnation. And don't get me started on "Tachiguishi-retsuden", which I THINK is supposed to be a documentary.

WXIII is OK, I guess. The first movie is pretty good story-wise, I like it, but I just wish that there was more MOVEMENT, to say nothing of little mecha action. I mean, it's called animation, Oshii, try it. He once made a movie called "Talking Heads", but as far as I'm concerned, all of his movies are just a bunch of talking heads. Exposition from start to finish. He should write stage plays instead. Dear God, "Patlabor 2" was boring as all damnation. And don't get me started on "Tachiguishi-retsuden", which I THINK is supposed to be a documentary.

I'm sorry to hear you need bright colors and flashing lights every 5 seconds to keep your attention. :p I really love Patlabor 1 and 2, they're slow but they're interesting. As for WXIII; I was a little put off by it at first, but once I got over the fact that it has nothing to do with Patlabor other than Ingrams showing up at the very end, it's an enjoyable film on it's own.

Edited by anime52k8

F91 is passed a little too fast but overall it's enjoyable. 08th MS team had weak characters and story but at least it looked good and had VERY good combat sequences.

Char's counterattack is Nothing but people spouting the political equivalent of technobabble, Quess being the most useless bitch ever and Hathaway being even worse. The actual battles, besides being few and far between, are painfully boring in terms of actual action and ruined by even more useless exposition.

My biggest problem with Char's counterattack though is that Char's character is completely ruined all for the sake of having this final showdown between him an Amuro that doesn't even have a satisfactory conclusion. Nothing that Char does makes any sense and runs completely counter to what was established about the character in 0079 and Zeta.

To each his own, of course. For me, the virtues of Char's Counterattack outweigh its flaws. And I have no real problem accepting Char himself in the movie. While his attempt at genocide may have been something done by Tomino purely to get Char and Amuro at each others' throats again, I found it plausible that Char would get disillusioned and desperate after so many years of failure.

And while I agree that Hathaway was a moron who deserved everything he got later on in the timeline, I guess I have to admit that, to my own everlasting shame, I've always harbored a secret crush on Quess. :ph34r:

Just finished watching Space Battleship Yamato season 1 and moving on to season 2, bloody brilliant!

Also getting a load of 80's OVA wathed which ive been meaning to do, Birth, Leda, Black Magic M66, Body Jack, Cosmo Police Justy, Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01 and Space Fantasia 2001 Nights, which is really good.

I'm sorry to hear you need bright colors and flashing lights every 5 seconds to keep your attention. :p

To a certain extent, I do if I'm going to go and watch an "animated" movie. Otherwise, he could write a novel and I'd read that. He's written books, and I have no problem with those.

Also getting a load of 80's OVA wathed which ive been meaning to do, Birth, Leda, Black Magic M66, Body Jack, Cosmo Police Justy, Metal Skin Panic MADOX-01 and Space Fantasia 2001 Nights, which is really good.

Wow, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE ALL OF THOSE! Well, maybe not Body Jack, which is just freaky. :p Leda and Birth are absolutely incredible, and Space Fantasia 2001 Nights is one of my favourite anime movies of all time.

Char's counterattack is probably the worst UC Gundam production EVER. :mellow:

I agree with that. Even though I didn't see all of the original series (I saw what CN showed at the time, I'm going to check Netflix later if they have it ready to stream), I have read the translated books Awakening, Escalation, and Confrontation. Is it just me or...

... Doesn't Amuro Rey die at the end of the series when his Gundam is destroyed in the final battle?

Huh. I like it better than F91, and WAAAAY better than 08th MS Team. :mellow:

I liked 08th. MS Team. The ending was a little weak, though (even more weak since CN, in their infinite wisdom, decied to cut the damned thing).

I agree with that. Even though I didn't see all of the original series (I saw what CN showed at the time, I'm going to check Netflix later if they have it ready to stream), I have read the translated books Awakening, Escalation, and Confrontation. Is it just me or...

... Doesn't Amuro Rey die at the end of the series when his Gundam is destroyed in the final battle?

Only the novels, Wanz. Only in the novels.

I liked 08th. MS Team. The ending was a little weak, though (even more weak since CN, in their infinite wisdom, decied to cut the damned thing).

I didn't like it because, first, it doesn't really fit very well into the timeline of the OYW (Mass-produced Gundams? At the time of episode 12 of First Gundam...?) and second, because it didn't have the kind of tone I watch Gundam for. I don't watch Gundam in order to see a small, brave band of misfits overcome the odds and win the day, I watch Gundam to see well-meaning people trying to survive their miserable existence and then dying in terrible agony and wracked by guilt.

And yes, Zeta's my favorite. Followed closely by Victory.

Edited by Gubaba

I'm watching this really strange show called Zipang ... reminds of another smilar war movie I can't recall where a US carrier goes back in time too.

The Final Countdown, decent movie. What goes back in time in Zipang? Saw an earlier live action japanese movie where a tank, copter, and river boat go back in time - it was pretty atrocious. I think the Japanese title was timeslip.

fighting....through.... Aquarion....

Must....continue....through....the stupidness...

I got Aquarion, thinking it was gonna be a good mecha movie that took some of the cheesiness out of the combining robots, but it didn't do that. I keep trying to watch the first disc, and can't get through it, either because I fall asleep, or I start doing something else.

I finally finished watching Armored Trooper Votoms, and am now popping in the ImagineAsian licensed version of Universal Century Orguss. I've seen it before, but the series is worth a rewatch fro certain. Good story, good mecha action, and of course, Mikimoto's characters just make this series worthwhile.

Super Dimension Century Orguss!

As for Aquarion, fight through the training episodes, after that, it's a decent Escaflowne rehash.

Wanz, watch the Gundam compliation movies, you've no reason not to, they're easily purchased online, go get some. As for 08th MS team, I thought MS IGLOO pulled off what they were trying to do much better. Though my least favorite Gundam OVA is still 0080.

And Rogue Tropoer, you are about to have your socks absolutely rocked. Yamato 2 is one of the finest pieces of animation ever. So much epic in that season. The Andromeda alone makes it worth watching. After you finish, take a look at Star Trek III for one of the alltime greatest theft's american cinema has purpetrated upon anime.

As for me, I'm currently watching Dirty Pair TV. Took far too long to get this series licensed, but it was worth it.

Edited by Keith

Only the novels, Wanz. Only in the novels.

Still, one of the most brilliant ideas from Tomino: too bad they didn't keep it for the TV series...

I didn't like it because, first, it doesn't really fit very well into the timeline of the OYW (Mass-produced Gundams? At the time of episode 12 of First Gundam...?) [...]

IIRC, these Gundams are built from spare parts of the RX-78... That's why they can't repair Karen's Gundam head in the latest eps of the series: they don't have any spare parts any more...

The Final Countdown, decent movie. What goes back in time in Zipang? [...]

A contemporary super über advanced japanese war boat.

This show's a good uchrony: it gives you the urge to read the original manga...

Edited by Gui

I'm pretty far behind the times, but I've just watched Black Lagoon and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. Both shows were highly addictive and thoroughly entertaining for very different reasons.

I didn't think i'd like Gurren Lagann, as the mecha styles looked so silly, but when placed in the context of the show, they worked SO WELL! Great story too.

The strength and originality of the characters in Black Lagoon set it apart from most anime i've recently seen. I actually missed the characters and wanted to know what happened to them once it was all over.

I just realised that this thread is: "what CURRENT anime are you watching", not: "what anime are you CURRENTLY watching". Dammit. I'm gonna hit "add reply" anyway, then go learn how to read.

The Final Countdown, decent movie. What goes back in time in Zipang? Saw an earlier live action japanese movie where a tank, copter, and river boat go back in time - it was pretty atrocious. I think the Japanese title was timeslip.

A very high tech aegis destroyer.

Zipang is pretty good for showing the characters struggling with their consciences on how they should act (being modern Japanese they see Americans as friends and they're aware of the dark side of Japan's actions durring the war, though the latter part doesn't get as much attention as it probably should in the show). The biggest problem with the series is that it's essentially unfinished and you'll have to find the manga to get a conclusion.

It's interesting to contrast Zipang with Konpeki no Kantai (which I'm currently pushing myself to get through). The latter doesn't bother with any sort of self reflection and is nakedly jingoistic in the extreme.