Major updates:

- The film will be released on May 20, 2011.

- The new leading lady is Penélope Cruz.

- Veteran actor Ian McShane (Tai Lung in Kung Fu Panda) will be Blackbeard, the film's villain.

- Reprising their roles are Kevin McNally as Gibbs and Keith Richards as Captain Teague.

- Mermaids will play a significant role in the film.

- Watch the new trailer...

Saw the trailer before TRON today, I'm excited for it. ^_^

Pirates!

Edited by anime52k8

I'm sure it'll be cheesy, silly and dimwitted. At least I hope it will be because that's precisely what I expect from pirate movies. ^_^

The first three certainly were, while the first one did not go TOOOOO far overboard and managed to be entertaining - the second and third were nothing but people yelling and screaming and running around.

Maybe this next one will be different, but like the second two I will not find out till I accidently see them on cable and get too lazy to find the remote...

If its only in 3D than I will pass on it. I am really sick and tired of 3D movies.

Really? How come? I actually like the 3D effects, although I may have been fortunate enough to have seen what everyone's saying to be the "good" 3D movies, like 'Alice, Tron, Corraline, etc.

As for the Pirate's franchise, I just don't get why people like them so much. It all seems so......silly to me. I watched it because the g/f and every other female on this planet adores Pirate's. It must be Depp and the makeup, I dunno...

hmmmmm according to the trailer Barbarossa is a privateer now charted to england. Theres something kinda oddly fitting about that. I only hope they don't kill him off again, Him, Norrington, and Jack were my favorite three characters. On a side note I wouldn't mind a sequel featuring Will Turner as long as Norrington ends up as part of the Flying Dutchman's crew. Can you imagine the animosity and the clashing between the two? Could even reuse the "my place is between you two" line. Pirates of the Carribean 5: Mutiny on the Dutchman

At Dragon*Con this year my husband and I attended a panel hosted by Martin Klebba and Lee Arenburg (Pintail) - Both actors were asked about the film and we were advised that they were not asked by Disney to Reprise their roles. It is quite possible that other actors from the original three were not asked to either which could include Knightly and Bloom - and when asked about it, Knightly and Bloom's publicists and other 'handlers' could well have said that they were not interested.

They're pirate movies. Made by Disney. Based on a ride. Of course they're silly. :)

That's why they're fun.

Yeah well I think the Fast and the Furious series is silly, fun, and based on a ride but women all over the world don't seem to get all googly eyed over that-ah well whatever makes 'em happy. Personally, I can barely sit through a Pirate's movie, although I will say that #2 was kinda funny. Reminds me of an old agreement I had with the g/f: "I'll watch Pirates with you if you watch Fast and the Furious with me," lol...

Edited by myk

It's because Johnny Depp is a legitimately good actor, and he's funny, and his characters actually have some sort of personality. Paul Walker on the other hand is a terrible actor who ruins everything he's involved with.

Personally I'm glad that Bloom and knightly are gone; everything wrong with the third film is directly attributable to their characters.

Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush are all I need for a good movie. Ian McShane is a nice bonus. ^_^

It's because Johnny Depp is a legitimately good actor, and he's funny, and his characters actually have some sort of personality.

Don't forget Geoffrey Rush (which you mention later) and Bill Nighy (shame that his character was killed off).

Johnny Depp and Geoffrey Rush are all I need for a good movie.

Agreed, and don't forget Keith Richards. His appearance in 3 was just surreal AND over the top.

Don't forget Geoffrey Rush (which you mention later) and Bill Nighy (shame that his character was killed off).

Agreed, and don't forget Keith Richards. His appearance in 3 was just surreal AND over the top.

Agreed. I love watching Pirates 3 if only for Bill Nighy. He so completely sells that he's some sort of half man, half seafood buffet monstrosity that all the makeup and CG are nearly superfluous.

• 4 months later...

I agree that they had to get rid of Bloome and Kmightley. Their storyline should have ended in the first movie.

But getting a guy that directs musicals and that awful geisha movie with Chinese actresses... It's pretty much what we can expect on a movie based on a ride. The first movie was an anomaly. It should have never been that good. I guess Disney figured it out and is now correcting that mistake. Too bad though. Depp as Jack Sparrow is an icon.

I agree that they had to get rid of Bloome and Kmightley. Their storyline should have ended in the first movie.

But getting a guy that directs musicals and that awful geisha movie with Chinese actresses... It's pretty much what we can expect on a movie based on a ride. The first movie was an anomaly. It should have never been that good. I guess Disney figured it out and is now correcting that mistake. Too bad though. Depp as Jack Sparrow is an icon.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMEN!!! :D

Saw it today. They had some decent trailers (X-Men: First Class, Green Lantern, Cowboys and Aliens, Dark of the Moon), but the movie itself was kind of meh. Too much time spent on new characters, and too much time having Jack getting chased by someone or other. It's hard to get too many amusing Jack Sparrow scenes when either not on screen or running from British soldiers. And I do mean running in the literal sense, with the legs and all, and definitely not as an expression that might indicate fleeing by ship. For a movie about pirates, a surprisingly large portion of the film takes place on land.

An email I got from one of my friends today...

Imagine you really, really want to eat strawberry shortcake. You're so hungry for it, you lay out four pieces in front of you, eager to devour it. You know it's not nutritious, or even really wholesome, but it tastes so sweeeeet and it's SO fluffy.

The first piece is good, just what you wanted from a piece of strawberry shortcake. You expect the second to taste the same, and to your surprise, it tastes even better. So you would expect the third piece to be just as good, but to your surprise, it tastes a little stale. But it would be natural to hope that the fourth piece would be the saving grace. However, it tastes as if it has been left out in the sun, blanched into styrofoam. All of the pieces were made from the same ingredients, so you would expect them to be almost the same. But your expectations fall, as per everything in life.

Now you know how I felt when I saw Pirates 4 today.

Saw it tonight and I thought it was easily the best Pirates since the first. I felt 2 and 3 got wayyyy to into the Bloom/Nightly thing. Seeing that epic DotM trailer on the big screen was pretty awesome too.

I agree! Saw it opening day and love the fact that Penelope is on board and sexy as ever! Will she be in a fifth installment is a big question. It's a brand new storyline, if you didn't see the first three or didn't like any, you'll like this one. IMO, maybe I'm just a Penelope Cruz fan.

An email I got from one of my friends today...

The first piece is good, just what you wanted from a piece of strawberry shortcake. You expect the second to taste the same, and to your surprise, it tastes even better.

Yeah, but how can you take anyone seriously who believes the second "piece of cake" is better than the first? If the first is a delicious strawberry shortcake, the second is a Twinkie.

Yeah, but how can you take anyone seriously who believes the second "piece of cake" is better than the first? If the first is a delicious strawberry shortcake, the second is a Twinkie.

With all due respect, I'd have to tell you to see it for yourself and have your own opinion. Not to go off topic, but I feel the same as you on "Fast Five" which I'll be watching tomorrow.

I saw it this afternoon and I wasn't disappointed. Nice quick pace all the way through, very funny at times, a story that wasn't convoluted, pretty much just a straight up fun pirate action-adventure movie. Loved it. At the moment I like it just as much as the first one. The sub-story with the missionary and the mermaid felt kind of forced, especially since Philip was about as interesting as dry toast, but it wasn't anywhere close to the scale of the Will/Liz romance so it didn't bother me. I'm hoping they'll make his character interesting by turning him into a wicked mer-man villain in the future - the whole 'fallen from grace' thing. Don't give him any redemption at the end of his story, either. :)

Just came back from watching this movie and I must say that it was actually pretty good. Sure, there's no clear definition of who the real villain was - whether it was Barbossa, Blackbeard, the British or the Spaniards - and the whole love affair between the missionary and the mermaid was merely an afterthought, but it made me forget the disaster that was At World's End. And the movie actually worked in 3D for the most part.

Looking forward to the sequel.

Just came back from watching this movie and I must say that it was actually pretty good. Sure, there's no clear definition of who the real villain was - whether it was Barbossa, Blackbeard, the British or the Spaniards - and the whole love affair between the missionary and the mermaid was merely an afterthought, but it made me forget the disaster that was At World's End. And the movie actually worked in 3D for the most part.

Looking forward to the sequel.

I completely agree. In a way At world's end kinda screwed up this movie though. Imagine what this movie would have been like if Norrington wasn't killed and he had Barbossa's part, and Barbossa led the spaniards.