HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

Also just got my ADV Macross episodes, ans was wondering...did they change the sub from the animego release on these?

Yes, they are different. Sometimes a little bit, sometimes a lot. Mostly it's just a little bit, though. One of them might say, "Having been rejected by Minmay, Hikaru wanted to throw himself off a building" while the other will say, "Hikaru wanted to jump off a skyscraper since Minmay rejected him." Things like that.

Yes, they are different. Sometimes a little bit, sometimes a lot. Mostly it's just a little bit, though. One of them might say, "Having been rejected by Minmay, Hikaru wanted to throw himself off a building" while the other will say, "Hikaru wanted to jump off a skyscraper since Minmay rejected him." Things like that.

:mellow:

God D****.....I hate you ADV.

Why fix what was not broken. I mean "Mah-cross " is bad enough. But after watching the 1st episode, I was wondering why the translation on subs were different from what I remembered. I though maybe it was becuase I hadn't seen them in awhile.And then I was wondering why the subs are sooo fricken big, almost taking/filling half the t.v screen at times.Seriously I hate you ADV. :mellow:

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

Why fix what was not broken. I mean "Mah-cross " is bad enough. But after watching the 1st episode, I was wondering why the translation on subs were different from what I remembered. I though maybe it was becuase I hadn't seen them in awhile.And then I was wondering why the subs are sooo fricken big, almost taking filling half the t.v screen at times.Seriously I hate you ADV. :mellow:

A lot of times, the ADV subs are actually more literal than the AnimEigo subs. One of the things that bugged me about the AnimEigo subs as well, was the late-90's slang sometimes thrown in ("Leader, you're the MAN!")...which is why I wanted to go over the subs for the Galaxy Network version. I found myself relying more on the AnimEigo subs at the beginning, but I'm gravitating more towards the ADV subs with the later episodes.

And um, yeah. Both of them are better than Robotech, am I right? :p

Part B is not correct for the United States. We get the same kind of products that Japanese can purchase, in fact Walmart is selling the Shoji Kawamori designed Thundercracker master piece toy. It looks almost exactly like an F-14. There is a huge market for these collectible toys, especially authentically reproduced ones that can cost upward of 200 dollars. BigBadToyStore wouldn't be so big if it wasn't for the American collectors.

USA even gets "bishoujo" type figures from Diamond Select, DC and Kotobukiya, with the various X-Men,Batman and assorted superheroines. I would say that the only thing preventing the market from Japanese goods is accessibility.

Lets not forget that Gundam is not a Japanese anomaly.

You forget the masterpiece Megatron. Didn't it have some funky orange thing jammed in the gun barrel?

A lot of times, the ADV subs are actually more literal than the AnimEigo subs. One of the things that bugged me about the AnimEigo subs as well, was the late-90's slang sometimes thrown in ("Leader, you're the MAN!")...which is why I wanted to go over the subs for the Galaxy Network version. I found myself relying more on the AnimEigo subs at the beginning, but I'm gravitating more towards the ADV subs with the later episodes.

You got me there. Anythings better then RT. But I still like animego's subs more, overall. From what I'v seen thus far ADV's are "meh". I'll watch more and see if my opinion changes. But I still hate ADV for F'ing up the Macross pronunciation. <_<

You forget the masterpiece Megatron. Didn't it have some funky orange thing jammed in the gun barrel?

Yes, and it wasn't jammed in there by Hasbro, but on commission from BBTS and other importers. There was also an HLJ yellowish plug for MP Megatron exports to the USA. Hasbro itself would NEVER bring MP Megatron over - plug or no plug. They'd probably have to paint the whole frickin' thing purple, orange and green to put it on a shelf and stick seven pink balloons on it to avoid the wrath of the "Think of the Children!!" crowd.

Pete

On Topic Comment: Robotech sucks. Macross rules. HG suxors. etc etc etc....

Dag...

It's so hard to stay on topic in this thread sometimes because being RIGHT often means that, given the dwindling number of flat earth believers, let alone people who are at least able to either intelligently/scientifically or even MYTHOLOGICALLY state their flat earth position... there's nothing to talk about.

And BBTS is merrily selling the v.2 Yammie and has been for quite a while.

To me this proves that their initial "scare" (no doubt the result of some kind of letter from HG) has been tossed in the trash. Their lawyers probably called HG's bluff and HG was not able to do anything about it.

Because I suspect that's all it is - a bluff.

ANYBODY can write a cease and decist letter. It's a bully's tactic. But it only holds water when you can follow through and win a court case with it --- but have they EVER actually taken a retailer to court for selling Macross Yamato products?

They can't. BBTS isn't officially distributing the stuff - they're just transfering THEIR OWN PROPERTY.

See - this is where the licensing crap breaks down. When I buy a Yammie overseas and bring it to the USA - it's MINE. I can do whatever I want with it.

Including adveristing it as a Yammie and selling it.

Just like you don't need Toyota's permission to sell a Toyota you bought -and never used even - because let's say you buy it and want to sell it the next day? - so too you don't need HG's permission to transfer property for money.

IMO.

Pete

Why fix what was not broken. I mean "Mah-cross " is bad enough. But after watching the 1st episode, I was wondering why the translation on subs were different from what I remembered. I though maybe it was becuase I hadn't seen them in awhile.And then I was wondering why the subs are sooo fricken big, almost taking/filling half the t.v screen at times.Seriously I hate you ADV. :mellow:

I always find it funny when people complain about the subs on their Anime DVDs such as how ADV always uses the obnoxuious yellow font. I tell them if its their DVDs they can easily edit the subs and reauthorize said anime onto a blank DVD with the subs they like. In your case you have the ADV and Animego releases right? You can easily use the freeware Subrip to rip the Aniemgo subs and remux them with the ADV Macross DVDs.

I always find it funny when people complain about the subs on their Anime DVDs such as how ADV always uses the obnoxuious yellow font. I tell them if its their DVDs they can easily edit the subs and reauthorize said anime onto a blank DVD with the subs they like. In your case you have the ADV and Animego releases right? You can easily use the freeware Subrip to rip the Aniemgo subs and remux them with the ADV Macross DVDs.

Why would someone do that? Don't both AnimEigo and ADV use the same remastered footage?

CO2 Comics.com started by former Comico guys who did the RT comics back in the day will celebrate the 25th anniversary of RT by posting art from the Genesis graphic novel and unpublished art from Svea Stauch (the artist for the 1st and only issue of SDF Macross).

Nothing's up yet except a banner: http://www.co2comics.com/

Why would someone do that? Don't both AnimEigo and ADV use the same remastered footage?

I don't know. The Aniego sets have better video quality (less compression from lack of dub track) and subs apparently, but people here like to watch the ADV dvds for fear of "wearing down" their precious AnimEigo DVDs like its a vinyl record or something.

I was implying that you can do whatever you want to DVD subtiles with the right freeware and know-how so their is little need to complain about subtiles on DVDs when one can easily change them to suit their whim, but few people actually do it. Take this one guy I met a few months ago. He was considering buying ADV's SDF Macross set, but he absolutely hated ADV's ugly yellow subs so I spend 5 mins telling this Computer Scieince major step by step how he could buy the set and easily reautherize the DVDs on his new $5000 computer with the subtitle font and color of his choice only to get... "Nah sounds too complicated and time consuming for me. I'll just download some fansubs"

CO2 Comics.com started by former Comico guys who did the RT comics back in the day will celebrate the 25th anniversary of RT by posting art from the Genesis graphic novel and unpublished art from Svea Stauch (the artist for the 1st and only issue of SDF Macross).

This comic book issue of SDF Macross?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MACROSS-SDF-1-COMICO-C...=item5d266c81a2

Edited by Freiflug88

Not computer smart enough to do that, nor have a computer capable of doing that. :mellow:

And besides. If I did that what would I complain about? :rolleyes::p;)

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

I was implying that you can do whatever you want to DVD subtiles with the right freeware and know-how so their is little need to complain about subtiles on DVDs when one can easily change them to suit their whim, but few people actually do it. Take this one guy I met a few months ago. He was considering buying ADV's SDF Macross set, but he absolutely hated ADV's ugly yellow subs so I spend 5 mins telling this Computer Scieince major step by step how he could buy the set and easily reautherize the DVDs on his new $5000 computer with the subtitle font and color of his choice only to get... "Nah sounds too complicated and time consuming for me. I'll just download some fansubs"

He can probably do it, it's just Computer Science people are some of the laziest people on the planet.

I don't know. The Aniego sets have better video quality (less compression from lack of dub track) and subs apparently, but people here like to watch the ADV dvds for fear of "wearing down" their precious AnimEigo DVDs like its a vinyl record or something.

This comic book issue of SDF Macross?:

http://cgi.ebay.com/MACROSS-SDF-1-COMICO-C...=item5d266c81a2

Yes, that's it.

I was implying that you can do whatever you want to DVD subtiles with the right freeware and know-how so their is little need to complain about subtiles on DVDs when one can easily change them to suit their whim, but few people actually do it.

but I'm a technological illiterate who can't even figure out how to find out this stuff on google. ^_^

I'm curious to see how they'll dance their way out of this one...

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...&id=2027877

In regards to this thread on rt.com, it seems someone is being disruptive, better ban him. And how predictable was our thought on what would happen? It's unfolding like yesterday's news.

I know there was news of Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles being reprinted as a graphic novel bundle, but is HG's strategy for the 25th Anniversary of Robotech to sell a lot of reissued old stuff at a premium? There's a lot of people willing to buy this crap again, but really? A lot of that stuff even isn't canon anymore, just merchandise for nostalgia.

Edited by Einherjar

I know there was news of Prelude to the Shadow Chronicles being reprinted as a graphic novel bundle, but is HG's strategy for the 25th Anniversary of Robotech to sell a lot of reissued old stuff at a premium? There's a lot of people willing to buy this crap again, but really? A lot of that stuff even isn't canon anymore, just merchandise for nostalgia.

It's starting to look like that's the case... maybe they'll roll out with a special 25th Anniversary edition of the same old crappy DVDs they've been selling in different boxes for the past eight years or so, maybe toss in an extras disk with a few "creator" interviews, and then peddle that along with a bunch of reissued old comics.

I'm curious to see how they'll dance their way out of this one...

http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...&id=2027877

This link doesn't work for me... any help? What's the topic called? I can access RT.com just fine (actually...we reall need to stop calling it "RT.com" because that's a Russian news site I think :) ...

Anyways - I can access Crappybootleg.com just fine - but I can't access that link and want to partake in the tabloidish gossip :)

Pete

This link doesn't work for me... any help? What's the topic called? I can access RT.com just fine (actually...we reall need to stop calling it "RT.com" because that's a Russian news site I think :) ...

Anyways - I can access Crappybootleg.com just fine - but I can't access that link and want to partake in the tabloidish gossip :)

Pete

Same here. i just get the google broken link page. The mods probly deleted the post, knowing Robotech.com (that better Pete?)

RT.com's a Russian news site now? I've been jokingly calling it "Pravda" for a while now, but I didn't think anyone'd take it THAT far...

Here is your link, by the way: http://www.robotech.com/community/forum/re...&id=2027877

It's RT.com user Richardmvela asking "The Powers That Be" at Harmony Gold three money-related questions...

1.) What was the budget for Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles?

According to Tommy, less than $1 million USD, but of course Maverick and MEMO'll never own up to that...

2.) How much money that could've gone towards Shadow Chronicles did Harmony Gold lose on Robotech 3000?

I'd wager "not a lot", since Robotech 3000 sank without trace early in the production process, the animation was of horrifically poor quality, and almost no footage was completed. Naturally, he'll never get a straight answer to this one out of Kevin McKeever, if HE even knows.

3.) How many units of Robotech: the Shadow Chronicles (DVD/Blu-Ray) have been sold to date?

Anyone here who expects this question to get a straight answer, please report to detention for a compulsory course to improve your pattern recognition skills. The best Kevin McKeever will ever say in response to this question is that it's "selling well", but will never quantify it.

I'm kind of surprised that Richardmvela, who's normally a pretty rule-abiding guy, is pushing the envelope over there with help from a newbie called Whitehall l33t. They're putting Maverick_LSC and MEMO1DOMINION in a very difficult place... I wonder how quickly they'll decide that those two are "disruptive influences" and ban them. What surprises me even more is that in my absence, several people seem to be vying for the post of "troublemaker-in-chief" now that I'm no longer there to say the horrible truths that keep Kevin McKeever up 'till 2am doing damage control...

... though speaking of "damage control", I've been keeping an eye on dougbendo's podcast ever since he flash-scheduled an episode just to address all the people who were giving him crap for kissing up to MEMO and whatnot. He's been running this series on the so-called "Core block" of mecha anime, and he's got it into his head that it consists of Gundam, Macross, and Robotech. I listened in (and even participated a bit) in the last one, which covered most of the AU Gundam titles, and it wasn't bad... his format has improved from "frothy-mouthed fanatic badmouthing anyone who dares to tell him what's what". Now it's more along the lines of a vaguely organized stream of consciousness-type spiel. Instead of being offensive, it's now just kind of boring... but in terms of substance it's a vast improvement over what he used to do. He was on his best behavior today, though I think that might have something to do with the majority of the live audience badmouthing him for being over an hour late to his own show.

The next one, which is scheduled for 11/15 at 7:00pm, should prove to be a ticking time-bomb...it's the one where he's going to try and build a case for Robotech being a cornerstone of the mecha anime genre... which I'm sure has most of you rolling your eyes just thinking about it.

knowing Robotech.com (that better Pete?)

I actually think "crappybootleg.com" is a better way to refer to the the site :)

RT.com's a Russian news site now? I've been jokingly calling it "Pravda" for a while now, but I didn't think anyone'd take it THAT far...

From the little bit that I've watched of Russia Today, they seem to be pretty good. They're an all-english language Russian produced news site. I only watched a couple of interviews they did with certain Americans I was interested in listening too - but again - they seemed ok.

Re: the post on crappybootleg.com which was supposed to be interesting tabloid fodder:

YAAAWN.

The only thing remotely interesting in that entire post was the revelation that Robotech fans make films called "Thong Man."

Pete

He can probably do it, it's just Computer Science people are some of the laziest people on the planet.

Trust me I know I am considering getting a degree in Computer Science myself :) , if I can get through these boring Calculus and Science labs in college that is. :(

but I'm a technological illiterate who can't even figure out how to find out this stuff on google. ^_^

Nah, its just your mind is just in the gutter all the time cause you obviously have no problem finding interesting T&A avatars on google :lol:

It's starting to look like that's the case... maybe they'll roll out with a special 25th Anniversary edition of the same old crappy DVDs they've been selling in different boxes for the past eight years or so, maybe toss in an extras disk with a few "creator" interviews, and then peddle that along with a bunch of reissued old comics.

Ah man only reprints! Now if only HG had all those Macross rights lock stock in barrell like that said they said. Then would have rolled this awesome original series for their 25 anniversay! I mean come on Big West didn't make anything new for their 25th Anniversary, but given a chance and the rights the hardworking people at HG would have made a new Robotech Saga with 25 epic episodes and a new movie, filled with the mecha and missile actions, music, and fanserive we have come to expect from Robotech, to add to the orginal 85.

It'd have all new original characters like the protagonist Sam Lynn who ditchs being a male kabuki actor like his father Lynn Kyle and decides to become a pilot at this neat academy that get this. Has Rick Hunter's original Red Veritech on the roof! Of course after the invid attack during Janice Spear's flashy concent he gets recruited into the new Skull Squadron that is led by Captain Barack Obama in his yellow Messiah Veritech, who always quotes about presidents while everyon else in the S.P.S (Surplus Protoculture Supply) group is drinking in the bar. Hell I think Captain Obama was supposed to recite JFK's entire New Frontier speech in the introductive narrative to the show, don't have any clue why that would be relative to the new Robotech show. Too bad it'll never happen like Robotech 3000...Sigh. Ah well I quess I'll just have to check out this Macross F everyone has been talking about.

No, it's called "Robotech Pioneer" and it's made using flash animation & Kevin Mckeener does all the voices.

You're prediction is about 7 years late:

http://www.robotech.com/news/viewarticle.php?id=61

Mind you, I didn't read any of the details, but clearly they were thinking about it.

But then I guess there realized there were no pre-existing flash animation anime features to bootleg and it would require them to do some work, so the project got nixed.

Pete

I must admit that your new avatar is verrry hypnotic. Sauce?

Taksraven

*cough*Macross Frontier*cough*

EDIT: Oh wait...you were being sarcastic. Sorry. Ignore me. ^_^

Macross Frontier? Lies! It doesn't exist. Anime only exists IF AND WHEN its on my HD... In other words Big West only made DYRL, Zero, and 4 episodes of Macross 7, Tatsunko only made Gatchaman the Movie, and Harmony Gold never released ANYTHING Robotech. .

So you see Gubba, all those anime you find on the interwebs aren't real unless of course its downloaded to my Sacred HD. In other words all the anime in the world has to be <= 1.36 Terebytes and their just isn't enough room in the world my HD for Robotech, or your favorite anime [insert name here] for that matter. UNLESS of course you ship me DVDs/Bluray (High Quality R2's preferred and no Bootlegs) of said "imaginary" anime along with a check. Its only a one time charge of $1000 per gig storage fee or $5000 if you want me to make the anime storage permanant for a lifetime.

You guys can can just deposit the Anime discs and checks to my "Black Mailbox" that its just off of HWY 375 near Groom Lake. If you come down with any Robotech discs though, I will not take any responsibility or feel any remorse if the armed military guards in the area gun you down.

P.S. If you can't tell for sure I am being sarcastic come down to Area 51 to ask me in person and just ignore the scary armed guards.

And a macronized Zentradi will have a picture of Rick Hunter kept secret in the end. Fooled fans yet again! :ph34r:

Will he shout "I'll get you yet Rick Hunter!" like Briatai did in the 80's toy commericals or will he just be another craopy voiced over by Kevin McKeever?

Edited by Freiflug88

P.S. If you can't tell for sure I am being sarcastic come down to Area 51 to ask me in person and just ignore the scary armed guards.

THAT explains a lot. :p;)

Taksraven

I was just going to ask if i should beak down and buy the adv version. Although I don't really care for some of the va's

I know Hg should hire Jeph Loeb to write for them.

That's a winning combination.

Off topic. Hey VFTF1 what do you think of the idea of When Sheyrl met Yoko?

I have no real idea of what it would be about but it would make sense b/c it would involve the space-time continuum and some other stuff.

i thought it looked familiar. I'm surprised you have gotten a sensor donkey for that. ^_^

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Don't think anyone's posted this yet, so I thought I'd bring up that Robotech's DVD rights are apparently in limbo. HG's legal department is still working out how the collapse/reorganization of ADV impacts the agreement, to the point that Tommy and Kev aren't allowed to talk about it.

At least, that's what Kev said at the Zenkaikon panel. I'd imagine there's a good chance that whatever problems arose with the RT DVD license would impact the Macross, Southern Cross, and Mospeada releases as well.

Edited by Jeid