HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

I get the strong sense that there is little love for Robotech here.

(The force is strong with this one)

Try having the word Robotech in your user name and see what happens,............... sheesh.

Yes.

While I support Gubaba changing his avatar to my laptop's wallpaper - I am deeply hurt and my happy life has forever been shattered because I no longer get to see Ranka with a big carrot and in bunny ears talking to me on the internet.

Pete

Yes.

While I support Gubaba changing his avatar to my laptop's wallpaper - I am deeply hurt and my happy life has forever been shattered because I no longer get to see Ranka with a big carrot and in bunny ears talking to me on the internet.

Pete

Well...I kind of HAD to change it. After all, I've finished work on "My Fair Minmay" and have now started work on the Misa Hayase novel. You may have noticed that I've also changed the Japanese in my sig from "High School Boys: L•O•V•E Lovely Minmay! Minmay: Isn't that kind of...stupid?" to the last sentences of chapter 2 of "White Reminiscences" (which at this point, I have NO IDEA how to translate).

@Save: I don't think it was the "Robotech" part of your name that people objected to. If your name had been, for example, "BuryRobotech," I bet everyone would've been highly supportive. :p

You may have noticed that I've also changed the Japanese in my sig from "High School Boys: L•O•V•E Lovely Minmay! Minmay: Isn't that kind of...stupid?" to the last sentences of chapter 2 of "White Reminiscences" (which at this point, I have NO IDEA how to translate).

Sadly, your sig has forever appeared on my screen as a series of squares...

ヒグラシが鳴きはじめた。

かなかな、かなし、かな、かなし・・・・・・。

未沙は初恋が終わったことを知った。

@Save: I don't think it was the "Robotech" part of your name that people objected to. If your name had been, for example, "BuryRobotech," I bet everyone would've been highly supportive.

Not me.

Life is to short to waste it on burying something that's 6 feet under already but just doesn't know it.

Err...and that sentence is my way of staying on topic in this thread :)

Pete

Edited by VFTF1

Sadly, your sig has forever appeared on my screen as a series of squares...

There's a kind of cicada that's making noise...and the sound effect that they use for it is usually "kanakana." However, "kanashii" in Japanese means "sad."

So the line says,

"The cicada was making sound [lit.: crying].

kankana, kanshi, kana, kanashi.

Misa knew that her first love had ended."

Not me.

Life is to short to waste it on burying something that's 6 feet under already but just doesn't know it.

Err...and that sentence is my way of staying on topic in this thread :)

Pete

How about "KeepRobotechBuried," then?

So the line says,

"The cicada was making sound [lit.: crying].

kankana, kanshi, kana, kanashi.

Misa knew that her first love had ended."

So beautiful and so off-topic at the same time.

I can tell I'm going to love this book a whole lot more than Minmey's bubbly adventure.

Work faster ! (*whip!*)

How about "KeepRobotechBuried," then?

Again - why pollute the world with even a reference to Robotech?

As much as I love this thread, I sometimes think the best way to fight HG and Robotech is to totally ignore its' existence. I mean - I imagine that Japanese otaku and Macross Fans don't wonder what's up in the world of Robotech and how Robotech compares to Macross. They're just Macross fans.

I try to condition myself to think of a world where there's no Robotech - there's just Macross and all its' stories.

And this is actually healthy because ultimately - even by Robotech's OWN standards - it has NOTHING to do with Macross.

Pete

I agree with SkullLeaderVFX, it sounds like they were trying to screw it up on purpose. <_<

I never completely understood how ADV managed to mispronouce "Macross" as "Mucross" with a short 'u' vowel sound. Robotech, Clash of the Bionoids, Macross II and Macross Plus all correctly pronounced "Macross" with a short 'a' vowel. I say correctly because the Japanese pronounce "Macross" with a short 'a' that more closely resembles the English short 'a' than the English short 'u'.

I don't think the ADV dub director can claim that they were ignorant of Macross' history because they went out and got Mari Iijima to reprise the role of Minmay. Like a kid carving his initials into a desk, I think ADV wanted to leave their own mark on Macross.

I never completely understood how ADV managed to mispronouce "Macross" as "Mucross" with a short 'u' vowel sound. Robotech, Clash of the Bionoids, Macross II and Macross Plus all correctly pronounced "Macross" with a short 'a' vowel. I say correctly because the Japanese pronounce "Macross" with a short 'a' that more closely resembles the English short 'a' than the English short 'u'.

Somehow, I get the idea that some wannabi VA had the idea of "stylizing" the name Macross, so that it'd be "cool". Then, like ducks following the mother, they all fell in line and thought that, that was how it was pronounced. SURPRISE!!!, You all sound uneducated for not even knowing english phoenetics too well. Somehow though, I can't blame the VAs, more like the ADR did a bad job on not doing his/her homework, and thinking it'd go through just fine. I bought my ADV set simply to keep my Animeigos in pristine condition, and I got the ADV set from the bargain bin of a Video game store for like $6 each.

Somehow, I get the idea that some wannabi VA had the idea of "stylizing" the name Macross, so that it'd be "cool". Then, like ducks following the mother, they all fell in line and thought that, that was how it was pronounced. SURPRISE!!!, You all sound uneducated for not even knowing english phoenetics too well. Somehow though, I can't blame the VAs, more like the ADR did a bad job on not doing his/her homework, and thinking it'd go through just fine. I bought my ADV set simply to keep my Animeigos in pristine condition, and I got the ADV set from the bargain bin of a Video game store for like $6 each.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was something like that. ADV used that kind of logic when they added phases like "Jee Whiz" to their Gatchaman dub citing that is how people supposedly talked back in the 70s.

I honestly think ADV didn't honestly care how Macross was pronouced in their dub at the end of the day and just wanted to add an english dub so they could sell what is more or less repackaged Animeigos DVDs. It their goal was to make an absoluty loyal Macross dub they would brought back the original Robotech VAs including Reba West, but with Mari Ijiama's songs. Of course then there would be little incentive for Robotech Macross Saga fans to buy the whole Robotech boxset when a Macross dub voiced by all the familiar voices is available. So natrually they cast the most recogizable names in the VA biz today like Vic Mignogna and Tiffany Grant to appeal to today's generatation of anime fans and make the dub sound unique to Harmony Gold's original 1985 Macross Saga dub.

What I heard, and I don't know if this is true anymore, but many of the VAs that work for ADV are not with SAG, thus the reason they are based in Texas. In order to save money, ADV used non SAG VAs, unlike HG's position, which is in Hollywood, and would be bound to SAG rules. What ADV does in regards to VAs isn't a bad thing per se, it's just a way of getting a company starting out, a way to get the job done w/o the high price. The drawback, of course, is the fact that actors who have put in a lot of work and time, get shafted in work, and at the rate ADV was putting out anime, it started to become a factory of a lot of mediocrity. Some of the VAs with SAG that I talked to were always pretty ticked at the Texas based companies. Again, that was awhile ago, and since, they could've made arrangements to pay certain VAs their dues for being SAG. I don't know. However, that doesn't turn back the clock for such a horrible dub of SDF Macross from ADV. Nevertheless, at least it's available.

Nah, lets keep plundering those depths.

Thanks to urbandictionary.com http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...icken+brown+cow

Actually, to gradually steer us back onto topic, how about the Urbandictionary definitions on Robotech. Seems to be a definition of RT there to suit everybody.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=robotech

1. Robotech

Robotech is an Americanized cartoon show called Macross, produced by Studio Nu in Japan in 1985. The original series was considered too short for station owners in America to syndicate, and so two bogus shows where added by Harmony Gold, and the original storyline was massively altered to add to the deception. Some examples of these changes are: The size of the SDF-1, (via spoken word), certain characters hair color and style radically change over time (Dana Sterling) the fate of both of the shows main characters was also altered.

The first 40 or so episodes of Robotech are worth viewing though, and are available at most movie rental stores, and on Robotech.com. Macross can also be purchased, but as of now, there are no English re-voiced versions.

Robotech/Macross is considerd one of the greatest Anime shows of all time.

by Ranger Mar 31, 2004

2. Robotech

One of the best 80's anime you'll ever find. Features 85 excellent, action-packed episodes, each divided into three sagas, and two equally great movies. Was aired on Cartoon Network, but those motherfarters only showed 60 episodes, repeated those episodes, and ditched it in favor of Johnny Quest.

I now have all 85 episodes thanks to bootlegging ^_~

by AYB Mar 10, 2003

3. Robotech

Best animated show in America, ever.

That episode of Robotech kicked ass.

by cryomancer Mar 10, 2003

4. Robotech

A poorly edited amalgamation of 3 animes, whose only saving grace is the fact the Macross was cool enough even with the edits

That robotech episode was cooler on my macross DVD.

by Mecha Dude Jul 5, 2003

5. Robotech

Sorry, but "robotech" sucked the proverbial ass. It was nothing more than a second-hand rewrite of one good show(MACROSS), and two generic mecha-based shows(Southern Cross and Mospeada). The fact that it was popular in this country only demonstrates the infinite ignorance of American "anime fans". The storyline was hacked together out of some core elements of the original Macross storyline, and the voice acting SUCKED. Most of those idiots sounded like they were constipated when they were re-voicing the characters. In short: Robotech sucks! Macross Rules!!

Robotech is one of the most popular and overrated anime shows of all time.

by Eric Aug 4, 2004

6. Robotech

Never heard of Macross so I don't give a damn if it was better than Robotech, and I can't afford a DVD player either. Sorry, pal.

These nerds always say that Robotech sucks because it is dubbed. They forget that most of us don't have a foreign video store in our cities, and we can only tape whatever movies that come out on HBO or Cinemax. If the acting sucks, get used to it.

by pauper Aug 12, 2003

This may have been discussed b4 since this thread has been going for years but I thought it was interesting.

Taksraven

Ranger, Wasn't Macross created in 1982?

Edited by Wanzerfan

I fixed my qoute in my above post, I bolded the author of that passage that Taksraven quoted.

So...um...you're responding directly to someone who isn't a member here, and wrote his comment five years ago...?

How do you think he will see your correction? :unsure:

So...um...you're responding directly to someone who isn't a member here, and wrote his comment five years ago...?

How do you think he will see your correction? :unsure:

I was being sarcastic in general, Gubaba (feeling punchy, I guess). Next time, I'll use the razz emoticon.

Nah, lets keep plundering those depths.

Thanks to urbandictionary.com http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?...icken+brown+cow

Actually, to gradually steer us back onto topic, how about the Urbandictionary definitions on Robotech. Seems to be a definition of RT there to suit everybody.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=robotech

I'll be honest, a lot of people who posted in that entry sound like cheapskates.

I don't have a DVD player or a TV :)

That's because I just use my laptop. I don't read newspapers, but instead read news and commentary on the internet. Don't watch TV shows, but instead if I hear about something cool I check out Youtube. Naturally my laptop also has a DVD player function built in.

And yes - it has a big screen - at least big enough to satisfy me:)

Um...and Robotech is yucky! (to keep it on topic)

Pete

Agreed. Not being able to afford a DVD player was common in, say, 1998, but by 2004...hell, thirty bucks could net you a cheap one.

I know it's Urban Dictionary, but if you're the kind of guy that's really supportive about Robotech, why demean yourself and it with stories like that? You're trying to defend it, idiot.

Edited by Einherjar

I know it's Urban Dictionary, but if you're the kind of guy that's really supportive about Robotech, why demean yourself and it with stories like that? You're trying to defend it, idiot.

"Anyone can go out and buy a DVD box set...I love Robotech so much that I videotaped each and every episode off of basic cable!" :rolleyes:

"Anyone can go out and buy a DVD box set...I love Robotech so much that I videotaped each and every episode off of basic cable!" :rolleyes:

I tried to wach an episode on hulu recently, and was quickly warned that doing so may give me HPV!

I thought he was the funnest thing that happened to MW in a long time. I mean, awesome enough that a guy shows up to defend Robotech - that's always fun, but one with a persecution complex who - after getting everybody all psyched up comes out with the real reason he's here...

to find out about the "real" length of the SDF-1 :)

I thought it was wonderfully anti-climatic.

Ah - memories...

Pete

I thought he was the funnest thing that happened to MW in a long time. I mean, awesome enough that a guy shows up to defend Robotech - that's always fun, but one with a persecution complex who - after getting everybody all psyched up comes out with the real reason he's here...

to find out about the "real" length of the SDF-1 :)

I thought it was wonderfully anti-climatic.

Ah - memories...

Pete

Well, he told me he'd still be around...he just probably wouldn't post.

He did promise to get back to me after he watched Macross Plus, though.

Maybe now that Keith has once again started talking about how RT will give people AIDS, Captain Donovan will come back? :)

Pete

No no no, HPV, not HIV. There's no way robotech could get aids, who would ever sleep with it?

What I heard, and I don't know if this is true anymore, but many of the VAs that work for ADV are not with SAG, thus the reason they are based in Texas. In order to save money, ADV used non SAG VAs, unlike HG's position, which is in Hollywood, and would be bound to SAG rules. What ADV does in regards to VAs isn't a bad thing per se, it's just a way of getting a company starting out, a way to get the job done w/o the high price. The drawback, of course, is the fact that actors who have put in a lot of work and time, get shafted in work, and at the rate ADV was putting out anime, it started to become a factory of a lot of mediocrity. Some of the VAs with SAG that I talked to were always pretty ticked at the Texas based companies. Again, that was awhile ago, and since, they could've made arrangements to pay certain VAs their dues for being SAG. I don't know. However, that doesn't turn back the clock for such a horrible dub of SDF Macross from ADV. Nevertheless, at least it's available.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is still true. Every anime company would rather make two mediocre dubs in the same time as a single dub and unfortunately being a factory of mediocrity is a necessity in profiting in America's Anime market.

No no no, HPV, not HIV. There's no way robotech could get aids, who would ever sleep with it?

All those Robotech fans desperate to lose their virginity :lol:.

My friend once went out with Robotech... all he remembers from that night is having a few drinks at the bar, then blacking out, and waking up with no clothing in a cornfield in Iowa. His wallet was gone, but next to him was a summons to appear in court.

Okay, this is so bonkers I just HAVE to share it.

It seems that Pizza the Hutt (or Ghost Maker, or whatever the hell he's calling himself now) got it into his head that the leaked outline of the "Shadow Saga" is a forgery constructed as part of a vast conspiracy to undermine and destroy the Robotech franchise from within, orchestrated by Tom Bateman and carried out by those Robotech fans who are opposed to Harmony Gold's handling of the franchise (P.A.H.G.'s?).

From the sound of things, he also believes that all the unpleasantness directed towards Kevin McKeever and MEMO, the rumors surrounding Robotech's involvement in MEMO's divorce (that he left his wife for a female RT fan, or that his wife left him because he emptied their bank account to fly HG company reps and VAs out to Chile for a con in hopes of landing a job at HG), the criticism directed towards Shadow Chronicles, and him being banned from RobotechX and (briefly) from Robotech.com are all part of this conspiracy too.

Apparently our man Pizza didn't stop at persecution complex crazy... he went all the way to tinfoil hat territory. And this guy wonders why I keep telling him to chill the hell out. I'll never understand why some Robotech fans are THAT unwilling to accept that there IS a lot wrong with Robotech, and that it's entirely possible for Harmony Gold to make a bad Robotech sequel.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

It seems that Pizza the Hutt (or Ghost Maker, or whatever the hell he's calling himself now) got it into his head that the leaked outline of the "Shadow Saga" is a forgery constructed as part of a vast conspiracy to undermine and destroy the Robotech franchise from within, orchestrated by Tom Bateman and carried out by those Robotech fans who are opposed to Harmony Gold's handling of the franchise (P.A.H.G.'s?).

From the sound of things, he also believes that all the unpleasantness directed towards Kevin McKeever and MEMO, the rumors surrounding Robotech's involvement in MEMO's divorce (that he left his wife for a female RT fan, or that his wife left him because he emptied their bank account to fly HG company reps and VAs out to Chile for a con in hopes of landing a job at HG), the criticism directed towards Shadow Chronicles, and him being banned from RobotechX and (briefly) from Robotech.com are all part of this conspiracy too.

Apparently our man Pizza didn't stop at persecution complex crazy... he went all the way to tinfoil hat territory. And this guy wonders why I keep telling him to chill the hell out. I'll never understand why some Robotech fans are THAT unwilling to accept that there IS a lot wrong with Robotech, and that it's entirely possible for Harmony Gold to make a bad Robotech sequel.

Oooh...a conspiracy? I WANT IN ON IT!! I CAN BE MORE CONSPIRATORIAL THAN ANYONE!! :lol:

(But I thought he figured he was banned from RTX because the mod was having an affair with HappyPenguins, right? The same HappyPenguins that he accused ME of having an affair with, as well... :wacko: Now it's all part of a vast Anti-Robotech-Wing conspiracy...? Hmmm...)

We've got a guy at work who believes a majority of conspiracy theories, and he did a lot of LSD and such back in the 80's. I think thats a fair comment about conspiracy theory believers.

Taksraven