HG and Robotech Debates

azrael

In my experience, Maverick_LSC has a bad habit of making questionable claims and exploiting his mod status to post his opinions as though they were fact, regardless of whether or not they actually resemble reality. Like MEMO, Maverick's a long-time Harmony Gold suckup, though instead of being motivated by the misguided belief that it'll eventually land him a job, Maverick's motivation appears to be a simple desire to increase his standing in what remains of the fanbase. He's the type who desperately wants to have connections and an inside track on the franchise, or at least make people think he does, because he thinks that'll make him better than the average fan and earn him the respect and admiration of his former peers.

For Maverick_LSC, the problem is that he has no way to legitimately come by the respect of his peers. He doesn't have any connections at Harmony Gold or an inside track on the Robotech franchise. He doesn't even know much about Robotech itself. All he really has is a position of fake authority as a moderator on a corporate fansite that he got by kissing ass and working for free at conventions, which didn't really do anything for his standing in the community. As a result, the only way he can actually make himself appear well-informed is to use his mod powers to silence anyone who knows more than he does. That way, he can make ridiculous claims and talk with authority about subjects he doesn't understand without fear of being contradicted and exposed as the fraud he is.

Huh. That's weird, because I listened to his podcast a while back, and it seemed to be mostly about building a den (with some stuff thrown in about how Robotech fans need to get a life). Didn't seem like the type to flaunt his Robotech creds around and preen for the dwindling masses.

I would be inclined to give him the benefit of a doubt and just call him "misguided," but after the whole Capt. Donovan fiasco, I'm rather soured on the idea of being charitable.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know Mav, I've never spoken with him or interacted with him in any way...as such, I don't want to be insulting, but yeah...what he's saying is clearly nonsense, and it DOES make him look bad. Either he believes that Transformers 2 was "rushed" into production because the studio feared that Robotech would come along and steal all their glory (which is just silly), or he doesn't believe it, but expects everyone else to (which is even sillier).

I think it was Azrael that referred to the RT.com people as a "colorful crew." That seems about right.

As I've said, they live in their own little world over there where things revolve around Robotech. Break up that little world and they lash out. Happens a lot when people create their own realities.

I'll chime in with a few comments.

...I think Warner Brothers' choice to counter Transformers with Robotech is a wise move.

Considering we haven't seen a product in theaters, I'm not sure how one can make this kind of statement.

... possibly due to fearing the impact that Warner Brothers' Robotech movie would have on their sales figures.

That $402-million overall domestically tells me otherwise.

Also what movie would you choose to watch these days, one that is focused on robots that every five minutes have to smash something to wow the crowds with toned down violence and silly plots or the other, one that has a sci-fi setting is deep and complex with a rich universe on par with that of Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica that is focused on emotional and intriguing human stories.

Never underestimate the draw of a mindless action flick for the summer movie masses.

I'm betting that Paramount is quaking in their boots, knowing the potential that Robotech has in making a robot genre that can be critical in telling stories involving emotional human drama. It's why Paramount is trying to turn as many of these Transformers movies out they can before they make their new focus on the Star Trek sequels when the Robotech live action movie comes out.

I'll believe it when I see it. And I'm not sure how Star Trek fits into this considering it's in a different realm of Sci-Fi.

Huh. That's weird, because I listened to his podcast a while back, and it seemed to be mostly about building a den (with some stuff thrown in about how Robotech fans need to get a life). Didn't seem like the type to flaunt his Robotech creds around and preen for the dwindling masses.

Yeah, I found that odd too... particularly since his pattern was (and still is) one of trying to exploit what little authority he has as a moderator on Robotech.com to be dismissive of the opinions of others, to make himself out to be far better-informed than he actually is, and to present his personal opinions as though they were fact. It was an odd disconnect, seeing him try to be dismissive of the whole thing. My guess would be that he thought if he couldn't clout his way to the status of a respected authority in the community, he could always belittle those who wouldn't respect him from afar. Also remember the regard his wife has for his anime hobby... I expect if he made a podcast that fan-geekery, he'd be sleeping on the sofa until his kids were in college.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Also what movie would you choose to watch these days, one that is focused on robots that every five minutes have to smash something to wow the crowds with toned down violence and silly plots or the other, one that has a sci-fi setting is deep and complex with a rich universe on par with that of Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica that is focused on emotional and intriguing human stories.

You are talking about ROBOTECH here???

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ........... and so on.......

Taksraven

Re: Robotech:

or the other, one that has a sci-fi setting is deep and complex with a rich universe on par with that of Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica that is focused on emotional and intriguing human stories.

On that note:

Rick strode to the center waving his arms and motioning everyone silent. "Peryton is our priority. Anyone who disagrees better step forward now and present a case, otherwise it's settled, once and for all."

When no one moved to contradict him, he swung around to the Perytonianas, showing them a determined look. "I'm as short of patience as this ship is of Protoculture, Burak. Tesla's not around to feed you any more lies, so you're going to have to begin dealing with us. You don't seem to want to believe that he's on his way to Optera, but there's nothing we can do about that. What I want to know is what you need from us. Tesla has you convinced that it's you destiny to save your world, and maybe that's exactly the case. But you'll need backup and all we're saying is that you'll have our complete cooperation."

"Then squeeze the Zor-clone for all he's worth," Burak said menacingly. "Or, by Haydon, we will do it for you!"

Some more:

"What is is?" Lisa ssked over her shoulder, catching Rick staring at her.

Rick smiled and shook his head. "Nothing. I guess I was just daydreaming."

Lisa narrowed her eyes. "About?"

"Maybe about the first time we met," he said, coming over to her, taking her upraised hand and kissing it. "You in civilian clothes. Kim, Vanessa, and Sammie."

Lisa laughed and leaned back to glimpse her reflection in the monitor screen. "And you and Roy all duded up, two hot-shot flyboys on the make. Mr. Lingerie!"

"Macross," Rick said, sighing.

She squeezed his hand. "We've come a long way, baby..."

I just have to stop and point out that even in Robotech, that scene couldn't have possibly been the first time "Lisa" and "Rick" met, and the "Mr. Lingerie" reference would only make sense if they had met earlier...in the lingerie shop... not to to mention "Obasa!" (if that even occured in Robotech).

In any event - I just wanted to demonstrate to everyone WHY Paramount is so scared, and why the entire film industry is working hard to try to block this movie.

Clearly this is going to blow them ALL away.

Pete

I'll believe it when I see it. And I'm not sure how Star Trek fits into this considering it's in a different realm of Sci-Fi.

The expanded universe (novels, comics) gave off that feeling and more to fans, maybe. The Captain a while back sounded like it worked. At the moment, though, all/most of it no longer represents Robotech the way the crew wants it to be anymore, so the comparison may no longer apply. But HG, or at least Carl Macek and Jack McKinney, opened Pandora's Box by interpreting it that way in the first place, raising people's expectations incredibly high towards a story and universe similar to it when they can't deliver.

I don't know, the fact that back in the 80's HG was free to interpret material in any way they wanted and people still believe them while making their own assumptions is a bad sign for Robotech's future. It gives them free reign to BS people to believe anything and leave people with inflated expectations. I'm starting to make this sound like an ongoing comic book.

I now know how being intentionally vague about everything can be an advantage.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't know Mav, I've never spoken with him or interacted with him in any way...as such, I don't want to be insulting, but yeah...what he's saying is clearly nonsense, and it DOES make him look bad. Either he believes that Transformers 2 was "rushed" into production because the studio feared that Robotech would come along and steal all their glory (which is just silly), or he doesn't believe it, but expects everyone else to (which is even sillier).

If I remember clearly (which is quite funny), is that Kevin kept up this idea that Robotech was gonna be produced slowly so that they can make a quality movie (as if HG is actually working on a WB movie). In his "genius" reasoning, God forbid that they would rush it, and it'd turn out like Transformers 2. I think this is where Maverick took that and interpreted it as meaning that TF2 was rushed due to Robotech. To Kevin's poor credit, he doesn't take into account that the TF2 movie can safely be assumed to not have been made for a super deep story, but to make money. And make money it did. While I wouldn't exonerate Maverick LSC for his asinine posts, somehow, it makes a lot of sense when HG's self proclaimed PR, marketing, or whatever he is now, McKeever makes stupid comparisons of a Robotech movie that doesn't even have a green light to TF2.

If I remember clearly (which is quite funny), is that Kevin kept up this idea that Robotech was gonna be produced slowly so that they can make a quality movie (as if HG is actually working on a WB movie). In his "genius" reasoning, God forbid that they would rush it, and it'd turn out like Transformers 2. I think this is where Maverick took that and interpreted it as meaning that TF2 was rushed due to Robotech. To Kevin's poor credit, he doesn't take into account that the TF2 movie can safely be assumed to not have been made for a super deep story, but to make money. And make money it did. While I wouldn't exonerate Maverick LSC for his asinine posts, somehow, it makes a lot of sense when HG's self proclaimed PR, marketing, or whatever he is now, McKeever makes stupid comparisons of a Robotech movie that doesn't even have a green light to TF2.

God if there's anything worse than robotech fans.. it's bayformer fans and the only reason those movies are making any money is because the general audience are a bunch of retards who just want to see pointless explosions and a talentless whore.

It doesn't take much to compete with that crap just use the same formula for the RT movie and OMG it's a success!!!!

either way if the RT movie gets made, these "retards" are just going to complain that it's a Transformers rip off :wacko:

some idiot on the IMDB forum for District 9 already displayed that behavior when they commented on the mecha from that movie. So no other movie can have mecha or else its a TF copycat!

I say screw the RT movie, I want Halo....

God if there's anything worse than robotech fans.. it's bayformer fans and the only reason those movies are making any money is because the general audience are a bunch of retards who just want to see pointless explosions and a talentless whore.

It doesn't take much to compete with that crap just use the same formula for the RT movie and OMG it's a success!!!!

either way if the RT movie gets made, these "retards" are just going to complain that it's a Transformers rip off wacko.gif

some idiot on the IMDB forum for District 9 already displayed that behavior when they commented on the mecha from that movie. So no other movie can have mecha or else its a TF copycat!

There's a lot of truth to everything you write here. This is what happens when cool niche hobbies become mainstream.

It's also why, in Poland, people are paying the equivalent of 13 thousand JPY and up for the stupid retarded Bayformers Devastator toy which doesn't even have individual transforming component parts, but try selling them a VF-1S Yammie version 2.0 for less than that and it's like...no thanks.

Being mainstream sucks. Bread can be mainstream. Milk and water can be mainstream. The basic necessities of life can be mainstream. But the arts and crafts don't really work well as mainstream. Everything gets watered down and becomes generic and yes - people proceed to make outlandish connections between things - like imagining that mecha=Transformers, ergo everything with mecha is just a rip off of Transformers.

That said, I was going to post some more of Robotech for everyone's enjoyment:

"No!" It was Bruak, limping toward Tesla with a wild look on his face and Jack's blood still glistening darkly on his horns. He dropped the bundles of Fruit and stepped back from them. "Not Optera! Peryton! You promised!"

Imagine that scene and that line in am ovie theatre :)

People will think it's Carebears meets ID4 on crack.

Pete

Pete

You forget to mention an important fact with your Robotech Novel quotes: The novels are always better then the movies! :lol:

It looks like the Astro boy film has been a stuff up financially (as already observed in its thread), so I wonder if that will have any bearing on other films that are partially based on anime.

I am betting that as a result Imagi's next film, the CGI version of Gatchaman will probably never see the light of day and it could have an impact on any Robotech LAM development. (even though I still believe that it is unlikely to get made anyway)

Taksraven

simple logical rules to follow in thinking about this subject:

1) Movies that come out over the next few weeks,months and years are all rushed into production in the hopes of capturing any kind of market share they can get out of FEAR of being steam rolled once Robotech comes out - since Robotech will be so popular, that no other movies will be showing in theatres and people will just keep going to the cinema to watch it again and again.

2) Movies that fail to come out, fail to make it out of production etc have all failed because people just learned that Robotech is coming soon to the cinema, and they figured "we can't compete with that" and just stopped trying. Obviously.

Pete

I saw the Astro Boy film, and it's actually quite good. I think the problem is that the average person with kids has all sorts of bigger movie titles to take them to. When I was in the theater, I heard one lady asking a friend if the movie was a pixar one, when the other lady said no, she didn't seem interested all-of-a sudden. Her kids seemed to have loved it though. I wonder if that is a general consensus.

Either way, while I did like the story and was happy to watch it, the fact is, it still kinda failed. I wonder if that will have more bearing on a LAM getting made. Probably not, cause they're probably still line sighted on the success of Bayformers2, and are gonna try to follow that formula. I think either way, the movie seems damned if they follow that formula by the fans, damned if they don't possibly by sales. Still such a long way off from being made.

It looks like the Astro boy film has been a stuff up financially (as already observed in its thread), so I wonder if that will have any bearing on other films that are partially based on anime.

I am betting that as a result Imagi's next film, the CGI version of Gatchaman will probably never see the light of day and it could have an impact on any Robotech LAM development. (even though I still believe that it is unlikely to get made anyway)

Gatchaman's development will probably be looked at and re-evaluated. If it looks like there's no market for it, they may scrap future productions. But if it falls within a certain forecast, then they may decide to carry through but change it's treatment. It's a risk they gamble with. It may have all the praise and support during production, but when it gets to the public, the public may say otherwise.

simple logical rules to follow in thinking about this subject:

And if Robotech gets steamrolled in the box office, it will all be due to Robotech. :p

Either way, while I did like the story and was happy to watch it, the fact is, it still kinda failed. I wonder if that will have more bearing on a LAM getting made. Probably not, cause they're probably still line sighted on the success of Bayformers2, and are gonna try to follow that formula. I think either way, the movie seems damned if they follow that formula by the fans, damned if they don't possibly by sales. Still such a long way off from being made.

Again, it's a gamble. It can go either way once it comes to the general audience.

either way if the RT movie gets made, these "retards" are just going to complain that it's a Transformers rip off :wacko:

I say screw the RT movie, I want Halo....

No the worst type of fan is a 12-17 year old who hasn't seen anything outside of DBZ, Bleach, Naruto or any other mainstream anime title that's broadcast on American TV. That and a crazed Gundam fan...wait no a american comic book fan who feels everything should be followed according to the book.*

Tf is the new matrix or terminator.

I know sounds odd but look at it like this. any movie that came out after either of those movie was considered a rip off , clone or unoriginal. All due to the fact that they used similar elements .

WB may have to do as fox did with the x-men movies(not Wolverine Origins that's worse than TF2). Have it be it own universe independent of the books and cartoons. To me X3 was fine. It could have been better but the Phoenix saga can't exactly be explained in one 2 hr movie

Would it be for the better?

Yes

why?

Look at VFTF1's quote's of the novels.

*note that's how a lot of g1 TF fans feel about anything outside of the g1 universe.Not calling you that its just it irks me when someone says your an idiot if you enjoy mindless entertainment.

There's a lot of truth to everything you write here. This is what happens when cool niche hobbies become mainstream.

It's also why, in Poland, people are paying the equivalent of 13 thousand JPY and up for the stupid retarded Bayformers Devastator toy which doesn't even have individual transforming component parts, but try selling them a VF-1S Yammie version 2.0 for less than that and it's like...no thanks.

Being mainstream sucks. Bread can be mainstream. Milk and water can be mainstream. The basic necessities of life can be mainstream. But the arts and crafts don't really work well as mainstream. Everything gets watered down and becomes generic and yes - people proceed to make outlandish connections between things - like imagining that mecha=Transformers, ergo everything with mecha is just a rip off of Transformers.

Yes having something you like become mainstream does suck in ways. Then you get individuals who ride the trend because it is a trend. They don't really like it its more of a fashion statement. Then you get those who are suppossedly in with it, but aren't b/c they don't know what they're talking about and pretty much live in the world of Memo and Maverick_LSD. Where big shoulder pads are trendy, dressing like Don Johnson is the epitome of coolness along with having a Delorean and playing the Miami Vice theme while you cruse around town.

"No!" It was Bruak, limping toward Tesla with a wild look on his face and Jack's blood still glistening darkly on his horns. He dropped the bundles of Fruit and stepped back from them. "Not Optera! Peryton! You promised!"

Pete

No people will think its some sort of Satanic porno.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

If I remember clearly (which is quite funny), is that Kevin kept up this idea that Robotech was gonna be produced slowly so that they can make a quality movie (as if HG is actually working on a WB movie).

You can bet that Maverick bought into that... though I'll wager he also got the idea that Harmony Gold has creative control over the movie from McKeever's statement that Harmony Gold would have "a say" in the production of the movie.

While I wouldn't exonerate Maverick LSC for his asinine posts, somehow, it makes a lot of sense when HG's self proclaimed PR, marketing, or whatever he is now, McKeever makes stupid comparisons of a Robotech movie that doesn't even have a green light to TF2.

Of course he does... that's his job. Kevin McKeever's the marketing director for that ghastly mess we know as the Robotech franchise. Like any marketeer, his job is to use fraud, deception, and misdirection to preserve the image and reputation of his employers and make their products appealing to the gullible. Ultimately, he has no duty to the truth, his goal is a simple one... to ensure that what's left of the fanbase doesn't lose interest. In order to achieve that goal, he needs to make the fans think that great things are happening, and that the live-action movie is going to be just as good as the current competition (Transformers). Whether or not the movie actually lives up to those promises, and when the promises themselves are made, is entirely immaterial. To him, all that really matters is he builds interest in the movie with all of the bullshit and the hype.

If anyone else wants to hear excerpts from the Robotech novels, dougbendo is posting individual chapters on one of his shows. But he's not reading it, I think Microsoft Narrator is.

http://www.talkshoe.com/talkshoe/web/talkC...amp;pageSize=15

The reason is simple. Doug Bendo is functionally illiterate, so he needs a surrogate program to read the stuff he puts up, otherwise his new show would be laughed out of existance (More than it already is).

He did the same thing to me during the 'Robotech Fan' episode that was supposed to 'Bring the Fandom Together'. He used a quote from the blog on my site out of context, and used that 'narrator' program to recite it, since it had more than a few multi-sylable words in it.

If I recall correctly, he had originally thought of having his girlfriend read the selcted texts for the show, but apparently, that fell through as well.

I'll let the show speak for itself.

The reason is simple. Doug Bendo is functionally illiterate, so he needs a surrogate program to read the stuff he puts up, otherwise his new show would be laughed out of existance (More than it already is).

Yeah, I noticed he was having trouble reading the IMs users were submitting during his podcast. Initially, I thought he was just illiterate since the guest access looks like a pretty standard chatroom. After trying the TalkShoe Live client for myself and bearing witness to that strange left-scrolling mutant offspring of AppleTalk that is its chat function, I had to revise my opinion somewhat. Now I think he's just mildly dyslexic, which would account for how he gets sentences a bit mixed up when he's reading quickly.

If I recall correctly, he had originally thought of having his girlfriend read the selcted texts for the show, but apparently, that fell through as well.

Can you really blame her for shooting that down? Hell, I'd do anything in my power to avoid having to read the septic swill called the McKinney novels aloud in front of ANYONE. Reading it aloud on a podcast would be right out.

He did the same thing to me during the 'Robotech Fan' episode that was supposed to 'Bring the Fandom Together'. He used a quote from the blog on my site out of context, and used that 'narrator' program to recite it, since it had more than a few multi-sylable words in it.

I'll let the show speak for itself.

Well...I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but that would explain the odd, habitual spelling mistakes ("lesson" instead of "listen," that sort of thing). It also explains why he's doing this in the first place...when I first heard about his "Sources" podcast, I thought, "why doesn't he just upload PDFs or Lit versions of the novels? Why go through all the trouble of creating an audio version?

I mean, someone is going to have to have an exceptionally long commute to work in order to listen to... (what is it, 21? 23?) a lot of Robotech novels.

I have to say, when he and Memo converse with each other on the forums, a lot of times I simply give up trying to figure out what they're saying.

By the way, Robelwell202, I caught your interview on Protoculture Times and really enjoyed it. And Ray Bradbury IS awesome, isn't he? I got to see him speak (and got a lot of signed books) quite a few times as a kid, and he's as enthralling a speaker as he is a writer.

Well...I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but that would explain the odd, habitual spelling mistakes ("lesson" instead of "listen," that sort of thing). It also explains why he's doing this in the first place...when I first heard about his "Sources" podcast, I thought, "why doesn't he just upload PDFs or Lit versions of the novels? Why go through all the trouble of creating an audio version?

I mean, someone is going to have to have an exceptionally long commute to work in order to listen to... (what is it, 21? 23?) a lot of Robotech novels.

I have to say, when he and Memo converse with each other on the forums, a lot of times I simply give up trying to figure out what they're saying.

By the way, Robelwell202, I caught your interview on Protoculture Times and really enjoyed it. And Ray Bradbury IS awesome, isn't he? I got to see him speak (and got a lot of signed books) quite a few times as a kid, and he's as enthralling a speaker as he is a writer.

Gubaba, I'm grateful for the kind words, sir. And, yes, Bradburry is immense. My personal favorite if his is 'I Sing the Body Electric'. That's the one I grew up reading over and over again.

Well...I'm not sure if you're serious or not, but that would explain the odd, habitual spelling mistakes ("lesson" instead of "listen," that sort of thing).

Maybe he's trying to teach you a lesson?

Lesson: Robotech is the greatest

Lesson: I'm from the future

Lesson: nothing can compare to robotech

LESSON: EVRYTHING SETO SAY IS ALIE HE WILL BE BANNED!!! BANHAMMMERRR AWAY!!

It also explains why he's doing this in the first place...when I first heard about his "Sources" podcast, I thought, "why doesn't he just upload PDFs or Lit versions of the novels? Why go through all the trouble of creating an audio version?

Don't you want to hear the Microsoft narrorator voice reading Minmay's sexual exploits with its dry mechanical voice?

Need link.

Better download it for reference before he possibly gets a C&D or something. I know there's better sources for the novels, but this feels more official. :ph34r:

Gubaba, I'm grateful for the kind words, sir. And, yes, Bradburry is immense. My personal favorite if his is 'I Sing the Body Electric'. That's the one I grew up reading over and over again.

No, thank YOU. ^_^ I'm actually rather envious of the fan productions...I've never been able to feel "comfortable" enough in someone else's world to create stories in it...which is why I'm sticking to translating. (I *did* once write a Macross story, about Claudia going to see DYRL...but I lost it. I could probably recreate it at some point...or maybe I'll find the notebook it was in...).

Need link.

Unfortunately, most of the conversations are locked away in the "Canon Fodder" section of Robotechx.com. But if you decide to join the site in order to view the threads (as I did), you'll want to check out a thread entitled "PodCast's that are beging something new."

And no, I have no idea what "beging" is supposed to mean...."begging"? "beginning"? "bringing"? It's a mystery.

No, thank YOU. ^_^ I'm actually rather envious of the fan productions...I've never been able to feel "comfortable" enough in someone else's world to create stories in it...which is why I'm sticking to translating. (I *did* once write a Macross story, about Claudia going to see DYRL...but I lost it. I could probably recreate it at some point...or maybe I'll find the notebook it was in...).

Hmmm... interesting concept.

Unfortunately, most of the conversations are locked away in the "Canon Fodder" section of Robotechx.com. But if you decide to join the site in order to view the threads (as I did), you'll want to check out a thread entitled "PodCast's that are beging something new."

And no, I have no idea what "beging" is supposed to mean...."begging"? "beginning"? "bringing"? It's a mystery.

After hacking someones account and reading all i can say is..... There's a lot hotblooded rage in those post. Also how did his "podcast" go?

I'm not going to listen to his lesson.

If that how he writes then chances are that's how he speaks as well.

but if Db is the rt fandom leader then no wonder rt is dying.

Edited by BeyondTheGrave

Yeah "cannon fodder" the toilet of RTX, where anything that goes against the gospel of Robotech goes.

Most threads with us "pahgs" often ends up there because we correct memo, or PTH just can't leave us alone.... especially me

must be an internet crush or some crap idk :blink:

Also, I'd say "begging" sounds about right ;)

Yeah "cannon fodder" the toilet of RTX, where anything that goes against the gospel of Robotech goes.

Most threads with us "pahgs" often ends up there because we correct memo, or PTH just can't leave us alone.... especially me

must be an internet crush or some crap idk :blink:

Also, I'd say "begging" sounds about right ;)

Maybe he secretly wants to become you.

and as such... it's far and away the most active part of RobotechX.

And Memo is turning into Seto.

Can't be... if he was, we'd be able to understand what he writes and he wouldn't need the caps-lock! :p

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Uuuu....mixing vodka...with aspring....asprin...when what I really need is one of those damn inhaler things that shoots a burst of medication straight into the lungs...um...if you thought I was harsh on Robotech when I was healthy...now that I'm suffering this wretched cold, flu, bronchitus...whatever...although I don't have a temperature (I think, though I haven't measured)...umm... I'm going to be doubly harsh.

1. Doug Bendo

With all due respect but there's a big difference between being dislexic and being illiterate. If he's dislexic - fine. That is not his fault. But if he's "functionally illiterate" then they guy could do to learn to read. This isn't just a matter of doing himself a general favor in life - but specifically... if you're going to sit on the internet and quarrel with people about Robotech/Macross - it sometimes might help to be able to READ what they write. I mean, I guess other people can do it for him - but in general... for those who might have been inclined to debate him via the written word - to find out that he's not going to be able to read your stuff one way or another...GREAT. Wonderful.

That goes a long way to explaining why Doug Bendo has the opinions he has: because he's NEVER READ ANY COUNTER OPINIONS.

It also, IMO, explains why someone like him would instinctively prefer Robotech (dubs) to Macross (all subbed). If you can't READ the subs, then no matter how many Gubabas there are on the internet telling you Macross is better - you won't know it.

That said - what the Macross fandom needs to do is put together a computer Narrator that will narrate over the dialogue from the Macross series and send it to this guy.

Wait.

I'm sick. I'm supposed to be pissed. And here I am being naive and warm and fuzzy...

Screw it!

They do it to themselves.

ROBOTECH:

1. A Hastily Put Together Bootleg of three unrelated anime

2. Legal Threats to Legitamite Business enterprises

3. Crap Toys

4. Censoring people who know too much about anime, Macross and Robotech in general

5. Making a Functional Illiterate a Sage of the Robotech Fandom

6. MAKING A GUY WHO RITS LAYK DIS MOD!LOL!!

7. Add your own other six zillion reasons

It's depressing.

It's depressing because you really want to think there's a larger issue in all of this beyond "they're dumb and we're knowledgable."

You want to think that there's something better about Robotech and that there's some kind of significant debate going on here - like a real issue where it's plausible to see two sides...

But instead, all I see are, on the Macross side, people who tirelessly give reasoned arguments, and onthe Robotech side I SEES DIS and I see people who apparently won't even read all the reasoned arguments because they CAN'T.

This sucks!

It's an embarassment ot Macross that these guys have anything to do with the same anime. It just goes to show that Macross and Robotech really do need to once and for all go their seperate ways.

there's never going to be a resolution to this.

It's all hopeless.

Life sucks.

Pete

It's easier to just say Robotech will always be riding the coat tails of Macross indefinately. They can't or refuse to move past it and would rather remember the good old days forever. What else can you expect from a show that had as much innovation as the animation and premade material the creators paid for allowed them to be with very little effort? And they can keep doing this thanks to a minor technicality, and enough people willing to spend money on the same damn thing.

I know. But in life, all of us need something to rip on. I found Robotech and Transformer handy targets of late :)

Pete

Well that's because both of those franchises are laughable... I mean look at Bayformers

those mech designs are some of the ugliest crap and yet the fans will tell you how stupid you are. Also I don't care for story, as far as I'm concerned all the human characters are boring and generic and ruin the movie..........let's not forget the immature humor that does not belong there in the first place but like I said before...... the general audience are a bunch of morons and this kinda puke appeals to them. LOL can't wait to see what immature humor is thrown into the robotech movie..... if it is indeed competition then I wonder if we can expect anything to 1 up the pissing autobot, and the leg humpers.

As for robotech, the real reason it's laughable is because of the fans who believe it is original and the greatest creation of all time. Just the lengths they go to defending it is hilarious because they seem to think Robotech came before the originals or RT improved them. You can't dare criticize it or else you're a macross purist, you're full of evil and want to ruin the world of robotech. (nah I think the retarded fans do a good enough job of that on their own)

robotech is not original (here come the crocodile tears) it's not the greatest thing since sliced bread and any artistic merit it has, belongs to the originals.

As far as story telling goes, it's just generic sci-fi and yes a lot of things don't make sense and are easily laughable. But it was the 80s the dialogue of most of the cartoons of that time were pretty cheesy and RT was no exception. Now I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being a fan, because I'm obviously one myself, but the only problem is the type of fan you turn out to be. All these obsessive fanatics are a good reason the normal fans can't enjoy it, especially with the way they brown nose HG and attack anyone who dares to disagree with their views.

As I always say... it's always the fans who ruin everything, and I stand by that saying.