Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

Gah, I could swear it was Lilformers style, and not Shortpacked... Mental error!

Because it's not the kind of comic Willis would normally do. I think he even admitted that he doesn't do comics about video games or even play video games that often, but he got WfC just because it's Transformers.

For the same reason I NEVER saw a Voyager Mindwipe? Not at Target, not at Wal-Mart, not at TRU, not anywhere.

I saw Mindwipe once, which is the one I own. I was originally going to think about it and get him later and I'm glad I didn't.

On the flipside, I bought a HA Jazz last week for $50 because I was certain I would never see him on the shelf. Yesterday I saw 4 of them at Target. :lol:

Target by my house looks like they are prepped to finally restock their toy section seeing as half of it was totally empty the other day. I'll probably hit it and TRU next week and see if anything good is there. I have WFC Prime and HA Jazz on their way from other sources. But Darkmount, Grimlock and the new Thrust would be at least potential buys if I could find them.

MP Grimlock and Animated Rodimus out at TRU in the US, multiple sightings today. I just happened to be by mine today looking for something else but saw nothing.

My wife wanted to go to Best Buy to look at refrigerators, and TRU is right next to it, so I popped in to look for Grimlock (I got all WFC Bee and Prime, plus Thrust and Peg, so I'm done looking for Generations figures until someone reports some sightings). No sign of him.

Ironically, they had three or four Mindwipes. I passed, though. While he looks like a good enough figure, he doesn't match the Classics aesthetic enough.

Speaking of, I'm trying to decide if I should get the new Voyager Seaspray, or if I should stick with my badly repainted Scout-class Storm Surge.

Still working on my KO Masterpiece Prime, but here's a shot along with a few of my other Primes.

primes01.jpg

(top) KO Masterpiece Optimus Prime, Revenge of the Fallen Leader Class Optimus Prime

(bottom) G1 25th Anniversary Optimus Prime, Hunt for the Decepticons Voyager Class Battle Blades Optimus Prime

And for those wondering about the Bumblebees in the background, here they are in order from front to back:

Hunt for the Decepticons Activators Bumblebee, Revenge of the Fallen Human Alliance Bumblebee, Hunt for the Decepticons Deluxe Class Battle Blade Bumblebee, Transformers (2007) Deluxe Class Bumblebee, Transformers (2007) Trans-Scanning Bumblebee.

Seeing Areaseven's post made me think about my leader Prime. Dusted him off and removed his armblades. I really like him better this way, especially since his elbows can move freely without having him look like he wants to kill someone.

4 words: Seaspray has scuba flippers.

Then... no?

It's honestly a toss up. On the one hand, when I see him he is instantly recognizable as Seaspray (which is more than I can say for the general run of Powerglide, although the Wal-Mart exclusive G1 repaint helped A LOT). On the other hand, I feel like they took a lot of liberties with him. His fanjets look funky, his face really doesn't look much like Seaspray, and I'm not a fan of the designers including "human" elements like a scuba mask, O2 tanks, or flippers. And his colors are a little off... not enough blue on his arms and feet, not enough yellow/gold on his head and thighs.

I'm thinking of cancelling my MP Grimlock order and using the money for a Buster Prime or something. (I do not have the 09 Leader Prime mold at all---I refused to buy the US version due to lack of paint on the doors/windows, etc). However, Buster Prime is still fairly rare/expensive. (of course, I would like the 2-pack faceplate version better and even much prefer the recolored Jetfire to my own, but that's way too much money to justify on a minor repaint of one I already have)

But I am a fan of transformation over most anything, and Buster Prime blows away MP Grimlock in that regard. (plus, I still have my minty G2 Grimlock)

Comments/opinions?

PS--my Jp chromed 07 movie Prime is for sale, to help fund this either way. :)

PPS--sigh, if only Hasbro had released a version of 09 Prime that at least had the doors painted--I don't NEED the chrome and pinstripes, but I do want the entire cab itself painted...

I love the 09 movie Prime mold and it would definitely be a buy over Grimlock for me. But I'm a huge Prime fan and I enjoy the movies designs, especially Prime's. I had totally forgot about the 2 pack with the faceplate...I may have to see if I can find that.

Grimlock is cool, but he doesn't beat out Prime for me. On a purely mold to mold comparison I couldn't say as I don't have Grimlock. That being said he SEEMS fairly basic in design (though accurate) where Prime is pretty insanely engineered if that sort of thing matters.

Edit: Just saw new pics of Terradive he is a must buy and so is that new helicopter mold whose name escapes me.

Edited by kaiotheforsaken

Presenting...

Masterpiece not-Thrust

Wow, almost missed this!

And they plan on making the three coneheads? Sign me up.

http://www.igeartoys.com/?page_id=604

I really liked them as a kid for some reason. Guess it's because the only TF episode I ended up taping was the one where they go to medieval times and one of them had a lot of screen time.

Yeah, I was thinking of that, could be "only" 9 months or so until the TF3 stuff comes out---surely they'll add SOME paint apps when they re-release that mold. (or, an all-new mold with trailer--though I fear that they may simplify the bot so as to reduce the overall cost)

Got my WFC Prime in the mail today (ironically NOW TRU has some in stock) and he is a really awesome figure. He wasn't totally transformed into bot mode in the package and he kept falling over, but a quick peak at his feet fixed that. I really did not like WFC Prime when I first saw him, but the design has grown on me tons since the initial reveal. Now I just kinda wish they had given this guy the Voyager treatment. That being said I love the deluxe figures that are coming out right, probably the best since the BW Transmetals era.

A big consideration was simply "I ran out of space". I really have to sell some stuff off. (plus, frankly---MP Grimlock is little more than a bigger G1 Grimlock) I'm a big Grimlock fan, but cost/size considerations sealed it for me.

As for new Prime--probably, but will it be better than ROTF Prime? Or are they going to simplify it so that Prime+trailer is cheaper than it'd otherwise be? Or just reduce the paint apps even further, to cut costs.

A big consideration was simply "I ran out of space". I really have to sell some stuff off. (plus, frankly---MP Grimlock is little more than a bigger G1 Grimlock) I'm a big Grimlock fan, but cost/size considerations sealed it for me.

As for new Prime--probably, but will it be better than ROTF Prime? Or are they going to simplify it so that Prime+trailer is cheaper than it'd otherwise be? Or just reduce the paint apps even further, to cut costs.

Yeah, I have the same complaint about MP Grimlock. I would really have liked to see more articulation built into him in bot and dino mode but oh well.

I'm confident we'll see a brand new sculpt for TF3, they didn't need to redo Prime for TF2 either but they sill did it.

Well they did kinda need to redo it since the first movie Prime sucked pretty bad....actually most of the original movie figs were just awful.

still better than armada prime or beast machines prime. It was a decent figure, TF2 Prime blows it out of the water, I agree but I'm sure the new movie will have some new gimmick to justify a complete new sculpt.

Oh god I hated Armada. I wish they'd do away with the gimmicks and even the sound effects, think of all the space they could work with if they didn't have to design places for batteries and other electronic components. Use the money saved to give us awesome paint apps that looks closer to the promo shots.

I'm sure you're right though, they'll find a way to cash in as much as possible when TF3 comes out, if they find a way to make a leader Prime that's even better than the newest one I'll get it. Hell...I'd get it if they just didnt retool him and use the money saved to give him nicer paint.

Oh god I hated Armada. I wish they'd do away with the gimmicks and even the sound effects, think of all the space they could work with if they didn't have to design places for batteries and other electronic components. Use the money saved to give us awesome paint apps that looks closer to the promo shots.

I'm sure you're right though, they'll find a way to cash in as much as possible when TF3 comes out, if they find a way to make a leader Prime that's even better than the newest one I'll get it. Hell...I'd get it if they just didnt retool him and use the money saved to give him nicer paint.

Yeah, I hate the light and sound crap. At least with Prime the electronics box doesn't get in the way too much, but with SS and Jetfire taking out that box could have really slimmed down their vehicle modes and not made them such abominations.

At least SS has a kick ass bot mode, I really dig it.

Yup, mine's coming down the pipe also-woot! Now if they can they do the same for TFA Rodimus and Ironhide, I'll be set. I just don't like going down to the TRU over here, especially since it's haunted...

Is that the TRU that was featured on "That's Incredible" in the '80s??

Man, I hope that since they are making an mp rodimus that they will make mp galvatron. I mean, anything is better than the g1 version.

Actually, the Japanese G1 reissue seems to be the quintessential Galvatron at the moment. It's in the cartoon-accurate purple and comes with a better face sculpt and the Matrix of Leadership. It even has original sound clips from the Japanese dub of the series.

Now if only Hasbro released it stateside. If they can't afford to have Leonard Nimoy record his lines for the toy, I'd still be happy if Frank Welker's voice screaming, "BWAAAAA!!!" is part of the sound effects.

Hmm... went back quite a few pages but could someone recap for me:

Where's this KO ("Knockoff"?) Prime coming from? Joons style thing?

Is MP Grimlock going to be in TRU stores or is it online only?