Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

Wow, x-mas in August! Quite a shipment came in:

haul.jpg

I'm gonna feel like a total ass if that Challenge at Cybertron set ever comes out in the U.S., but I didn't want to miss out on the best version of Henkei/Classics Cyclonus. It's not lavender like the Henkei nor does it have the chrome wings, and it's not as dark as the Classics version-it's a fair color balance bewteen the two. Rodimus looks ok and Galvatron looks just fine in his OG colors in bot mode, but I may not like seeing an all white Merkava tank as an alt mode. As for Blackout and Grimmy, I can't wait to open them!

Dammit, every year I say to myself I'm going to stop buying TF's after picking one up.

I just bought classic thrust, wfc prime and bb, and mp grimlock. I just rewatched the cartoon movie today to

make me feel better about the grimlock purchase. Now a good looking rodimus, galvy and cyclonus pop up! I have a

few rodimus versions already, but none of them are really in that perfect form. Is there going to be an mp galvatron?

I might hold out .... who am I kidding. Screw you hasbro/takara, you're like a crack dealer taking advantage of my weaknesses.

so where does this 3 pack sell? target, tru, walmart? all of em?

*edit

nevermind, got the info.

Edited by Negotiator

Opened my 2 MP Grimlocks (was going to open just one...). Hip joints are a bit loose, causing the figure spreading the legs too easily (fixable). Knees ratchets are too tight (fixable). Scratches on chrome parts, accessories & visor (not fixable). One hip joint has broken parts that glued back together from factory (that Grimmy is going back for a refund). Inconsistent tightness on joints, as they are quite different on each figure. QC on the Hasbro version is a bit iffy, and so glad I managed to get 2 (with 1 as backup).

Overall, a decently nice figure, interesting structure design on the legs. but I am glad I didn't pay premium price on this one, and waited for the cheaper version. Its a good buy for $70, but not sure about $130...

Opened my 2 MP Grimlocks (was going to open just one...). Hip joints are a bit loose, causing the figure spreading the legs too easily (fixable). Knees ratchets are too tight (fixable). Scratches on chrome parts, accessories & visor (not fixable). One hip joint has broken parts that glued back together from factory (that Grimmy is going back for a refund). Inconsistent tightness on joints, as they are quite different on each figure. QC on the Hasbro version is a bit iffy, and so glad I managed to get 2 (with 1 as backup).

Overall, a decently nice figure, interesting structure design on the legs. but I am glad I didn't pay premium price on this one, and waited for the cheaper version. Its a good buy for $70, but not sure about $130...

same experience with the joints on my copy. The hip joints and the thigh and arm swivels all too loose. Over all, I'm happy with it for the 60 bucks I paid but I wouldn't have been happy had I imported the Japanese market version. The general simplicity of the design and lack of posability are two big knocks against the design.

That's too bad about the QC on the Hasbro Grimmy. I don't recall there being any widespread issues on the Takara version (mine is perfect) so I wonder what happened between then and now. Different factory perhaps?

That's too bad about the QC on the Hasbro Grimmy. I don't recall there being any widespread issues on the Takara version (mine is perfect) so I wonder what happened between then and now. Different factory perhaps?

probably just used the molds too many times, this is at least the third run, tolerances are going to go down.

same experience with the joints on my copy. The hip joints and the thigh and arm swivels all too loose. Over all, I'm happy with it for the 60 bucks I paid but I wouldn't have been happy had I imported the Japanese market version. The general simplicity of the design and lack of posability are two big knocks against the design.

do u mean a lack of posability because of the loose joints? because mien poses really well (Japanese ver) so i cant see what else it could be...

Unrelated, but: Transformers animated Cliffjumper is REALLY hard to find it seems!

do u mean a lack of posability because of the loose joints? because mien poses really well (Japanese ver) so i cant see what else it could be...

Unrelated, but: Transformers animated Cliffjumper is REALLY hard to find it seems!

No, I mean I just don't think MP Grimlock is worth the 130 bucks it would have cost me to get the Japanese version. He's pretty cool for 60!

I really wish dino mode had improved articulation, like side to side motion on the neck. Nothing that would really change his g1 look but just add better posability.

Im actually surprised G is articulated as he is in Dino mode. Head goes up n down, side to side, tail and legs and arms move. He's pretty poseable really!

That said his Bot mode is the winner for me. It's just to kick ass looking. The arms and shoulders are MASSIVe, and he just screams 'power!'

yeah, like I said, I'm happy with the figure and what I paid for it, if I had a wish list...

better articulation in the feet in bot mode

head could swing side to side in dino mode

dump the glowy hand gimmick for better articulated hands

instead of glowy hand, glowy eyes in dino mode.

Better shoulder articulation in the arms in bot mode.

but it's fine, at 60 bucks he's in the leader class price range and I'm pretty happy with it

After tinkering around with it, I feel like I got my money's worth with MP Grimmy. The only things I found wrong with mine is a big crinkle on the blue visor and some really tight knee joints. I might have to tighten up the hip joints a bit, but all in all it's a real fun toy. So at $60, I don't miss the pointy teeth and kitchen ware the Japanese version has.

After looking at Blur, I really think that Drift got better use out of the mold. With the designs on the doors / hip armor, and the sword storage in the hip armor, I am liking Drift more.

Great toy, just not a great Blurr

Not if you're expecting a square-headed Blurr that turns into a hover car. But he's actually very reminiscent of IDW Blurr.

Though I already have a Masterpiece Prime, I'm tempted to get one of these for my G1 Prime. It costs more than G1 Prime, though.

G1 Prime is less than $20?

Not if you're expecting a square-headed Blurr that turns into a hover car. But he's actually very reminiscent of IDW Blurr.

Im only just starting the IDW books now, so I have no real basis for comparison there. I'm not a G1 slave though, i just dont feel like a bulky, heavily armed sniper is really Blurr like in character or design. The mold is great, and i love the guns, I just think it should have been someone else.

And Animated Blurr is my favourite. In fact it's in my top 3 of the animated line.

Im only just starting the IDW books now, so I have no real basis for comparison there. I'm not a G1 slave though, i just dont feel like a bulky, heavily armed sniper is really Blurr like in character or design. The mold is great, and i love the guns, I just think it should have been someone else.

And Animated Blurr is my favourite. In fact it's in my top 3 of the animated line.

Here's a drawing from one of the covers for Spotlight: Drift. It's his Cybertronian mode, so you can figure he'd have some differences when he gets to Earth (we're going to ignore the controversial style that Don Figueroa used for the first couple issues of the newer ongoing series). I wouldn't say he's chunky, but he's definitely sporting some kibble that could correspond to the car kibble from the Peg mold. And the head is spot on.

I feel you on the sniper thing, though. In the IDW-verse, that'd be more like Perceptor.

I got my 25th Anniversary reissue for US$18. But I was wondering, does this variant not come with a rub-on sticker? There's just a screw hole on the roof where the sticker should be.

We there you go. I paid like $50 for my reissue Prime, and don't actual 1984 Prime's go for closer to $80?

My reissue Prime has a rub sign.

post-187-128218052002_thumb.jpg

Edited by mikeszekely

Head would be better if it was black/silver, but heck, those are the two colors I'm best at painting, if need be. The "previously shown" silhouette of Devastator didn't look good at all to me, but Scavenger alone looks really good in arm mode. If the combined mode is anything short of *awesome* I may pick up just Mixmaster, assuming they make a good Mixmaster.

I had 3 of the 180 dollar Takara Grimlocks, and they were all the same shotty QC.

The Masterpiece Thundercracker was even worse. (Again, Takara-Tomy)

A serious question, with a bit of an explanation:

When I was a kid (Back in the dark ages), the very first transformer I bought was 'Prowl', the Nissan 280ZX police car. Now, several years ago, I was able to find a reissue of that one, and recently, I found another version of Prowl based on a newer Nissan ZX (Forgive me, since I can't rightly think of the model number right now). Prowl was, and always will be, my favorite transformer, so here's my question:

How many versions of the Prowl G1 model are there?

Thanks!

TFW2005.com has pics of TFClubs first figure in their upcoming Devastator set.

TFW2005.com - TFClubs Devastator

I don't know how much it's going to cost and I don't care. This will be mine.

Holly $hit Batman, I want it!!

I have to make the joke: this will cost an arm... and another arm and a pair of legs... and a torso and a groin. Ouch :p

Drift's mold would've suited Springer better. And the sword with pistols would have worked nicely for him. I can see why they went with IDW Blurr, but Springer was definitely the way to go.

Man, I never thought of that. I have to agree with you. Now when I look at my Drift, all I see is Springer.

Have you seen the Fansproject's Warbot Defender? It is the ultimate Springer toy. I mostly collect Binaltechs, so I only wish he was slightly larger in scale-but that is such a minor gripe for such an amazing toy.

A serious question, with a bit of an explanation:

When I was a kid (Back in the dark ages), the very first transformer I bought was 'Prowl', the Nissan 280ZX police car. Now, several years ago, I was able to find a reissue of that one, and recently, I found another version of Prowl based on a newer Nissan ZX (Forgive me, since I can't rightly think of the model number right now). Prowl was, and always will be, my favorite transformer, so here's my question:

How many versions of the Prowl G1 model are there?

Thanks!

The G1 mold you mean? or just ones similar to it?

Have you seen the Fansproject's Warbot Defender?

Yep, I ordered it. Still haven't received it. XD
I mostly collect Binaltechs, so I only wish he was slightly larger in scale-but that is such a minor gripe for such an amazing toy.
I'm pretty sure he was meant to fit into the Classics/Generations line. Binaltechs... those got me back into TFs after decades. I have most of the Alternators; I'm missing maybe four.