Transformers Super Thread 9

eriku

Transformers Prime is looking more and more like Bayformers Animated.

I'll give it a chance, but the heavy Animated look makes it even more aggrivating that they didn't just stick with Animated and continue that story. At least Bulkhead is supposed to be in it. Hopefully he retains the look/personality he had in TFA.

Throwing a massive eclipse over that bit of news is the confirmation and blueprint drawings of Masterpiece Freakin' Rodimus Prime. It looks to be a thing of beauty indeed.

post-430-127981798052_thumb.jpg

Edited by eriku

It looks like what the G1 toy was intended to be. Which is fine, but like kanedaestes, I was hoping for a HotRod/Rodimus Prime combo. If that pic isn't a rejected rough draft, then the unofficial FP release may be my alternative.

Agree with kanedaestes----it should be Hot Rod *and* Rodimus. Rodimus only would be lame, he'd just transform into the front 1/3 of a winnebago--probably with his legs sticking straight back like the G1 version. However, looking at the sideview of the lineart---the "cab" is way too tall vertically to look right as Hot Rod.

So I suspect it is Rodimus Prime only, and will be rather lame as Masterpieces go. Basically just a scaled-up G1. (true, that's what Grimlock is--but Grimlock always had one of the most "screen accurate" transformations to begin with, while G1 Rodimus was a very lame toy)

I think it's too early to get excited over or criticize MP Rodimus. This pic isn't much more than a note confirming they're making an MP Rodimus, and a line art drawing of Rodimus Prime. The line art looks more like a character reference than a sketch of the prototype toy, which gives them plenty of time to try to work the trailer into his transformation (like Titanium Rodimus) or come up with something better than a scaled-up version of the G1 toy.

Throwing a massive eclipse over that bit of news is the confirmation and blueprint drawings of Masterpiece Freakin' Rodimus Prime. It looks to be a thing of beauty indeed.

That's not really a blueprint so much as a teaser image. Neither mode seems to have much in common in terms of proportion. It almost looks like someone just did an orthographic drawing of the Metalverse Hot Rodimus and the old toy.

Blueprint, sketch, doodle, drawering...whatever it is, it shows the intent and that's all I need to get excited.

I also prefer Hot Rod to Rodimus Prime and think it would be ideal if one toy could be both, but not so much that I'll poo-poo an MP Rodimus. I like both versions of the character, plus I'm just glad the next MP isn't someone boring like Galvatron or Shockwave. ;)

It'd be interesting to see whether or not they make a Hot Rod/ Rodimus "body" that has a self contained transformation into a car. Otherwise I'm sure you could just fiddle with the "cab" part of Rodimus so it works well as a car and have removable panels for Hot Rod's legs. Work in a flip-out engine and you have two toys in one.

TRU took down Grimlock entirely after he sold out, wouldn't even come up via a search. Now he's up again, listed as backordered--but for 10 bucks more!

BTW, my order is currently listed as "Special Order: Awaiting inventory". Same as a backorder or something different?

You mean all the official ILM renders that were thousands of pixels tall weren't enough reference?

A quick glance shows the flames aren't pinstriped. I'll assume there's many other small details omitted.

Blueprint, sketch, doodle, drawering...whatever it is, it shows the intent and that's all I need to get excited.

I think it was more directed at the nay-sayers that think that's actually the final toy design and not a character reference.

... I'm just glad the next MP isn't someone boring like Galvatron or Shockwave. ;)

YOU TAKE THAT BACK! YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW!

Blue Arcee. http://www.tfw2005.c...me/p1040652.jpg

I like the design a lot. But---blue Arcee.

A. They block offsite linking. Gotta copy/paste to a new window to see it.

B. IS it blue? I know it LOOKS blue, but that image pretty clearly has something very wrong with the colors. I mean, the background is green instead of white, for Primus' sake. The red data's basically GONE, and blue's not much better.

I'd place ZERO stock in any guess about color from that image.

Edited by JB0

I think it was more directed at the nay-sayers that think that's actually the final toy design and not a character reference.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK! YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW!

A. They block offsite linking. Gotta copy/paste to a new window to see it.

B. IS it blue? I know it LOOKS blue, but that image pretty clearly has something very wrong with the colors. I mean, the background is green instead of white, for Primus' sake. The red data's basically GONE, and blue's not much better.

I'd place ZERO stock in any guess about color from that image.

It's blue, I was surprised to find out too. As for Prime....yeah...going to take a while for that design to grow on me...if it does at all.

That TP Arcee is giving me a heavy Blackarachnia vibe. It would be rather strange for her to be blue. I guess I don't really mind, but there are so many blue characters that it's always nice to see some pink. Maybe they're trying to get away from the pink=girl stereotype? Shoulda made her silver. :)

I caved and bought a HA Jazz from Ebay. I had one on preorder from BBTS (I have zero expectations to find one in an actual store) and realized that after shipping it would cost exactly the same as the one listed on Ebay so I canceled the preorder. Next time I holler about scalpers, feel free to call me a hypocrite. :p

Edited by eriku

I tweaked the levels of the photos a bit, but I didn't really change the color at all, mostly I cleaned out the green, but in the Arcee picture there are still bits of red fuzziness that should probably be grey, but other than that the colors should be accurate. Did any one else notice the two different paintjobs on Optimus's truck mode? The picture from the slideshow is a plain red truck, the one on the sign announcing the panel times has stripes and blue panels on the sleeper. I wonder which one is more correct. Also the cow horns on Cliffjumper's hood made me laugh, and I really liked Ratchets combination of eyebrows and traditional head crest. These look fun.

post-8427-127991338173_thumb.jpg

post-8427-127991341934_thumb.jpg

post-8427-12799134656_thumb.jpg

Edited by J.T. Silversmith

No, there's WAY too many silver TFs lately, especially with the Bay aesthetic.

How about brown? There's never any brown hero characters. :3

I'm just bummed she's a motorcycle again.

From the early pics of Bumblebee holding the Hub sign, I got a strong sense that these were going to be simplified Bayformner designs, with a blatant movie aesthetic overall. Sadly, I was right. I see no WFC influence here, and only the rounding out of the characters, with more contours in the armor and such, hint at any Animated influence. I hope the humor isn't like the movie as well. Honestly, the show hasn't started yet, and I'm already losing interest.

Still haven't seen bayformers 2, and seeing the pic of the bot with glasses and hair makes me hate the third one already. They're robots...why would they have hair or glasses? Just straight up f'n stupid.

Been reading the comments at TFW2005 regarding the Prime footage. The fandom over there, with one or two exceptions, seem to gobble up anything TF related regardless of how mediocre, or just plain bad, it is. For my two cents, I like CG renders, and this looks pretty. Bee's transformation seemed almost stop motion at the beginning with parts there, then just gone or rearranged. Really long fall to the ground with overexuberant closeups in air. Lands, and gives a Decepticon a right hook. As a teaser, there's no storytelling...more of a, 'look how pretty and movie-esque this looks' vibe. Curious to see how the toys are going to compare to their animated counterparts. One thing that is cool about CG is that the actual transformation sequence of the toy could be employed in the show, for consistency.

Guess I'm the only one who hates the horns on Cliffjumper's car mode. Maybe on a big white caddie...not on a classic muscle car.

I'm not a fan of Cybertronian alts, as they generally look like crap. TFA Cybertron Prime and Ratchet are two excellent exceptions. TFA Megs, OTOH, still makes me wonder which end is the front and what is it supposed to be? I do like that the majority of the characters in Prime become Earth vehicles, grounding them in reality. To me, that was always the essence of Transformers anyway... disguise on a foreign planet. I hope that there is no hint of Bay's movie beyond the aesthetics. I'd love to see this as an alternate, stand-alone series, with more intrigue, spying, and use of alt modes for which they were intended. Obviously, if the trailer is any indication of the series, Bee's over-the-top drive over the bridge to assault a couple Cons minding their own business in broad daylight, precludes any of my hopes for the series.

Edited by M'Kyuun

From the early pics of Bumblebee holding the Hub sign, I got a strong sense that these were going to be simplified Bayformner designs, with a blatant movie aesthetic overall.

Yep. Not interested at all. Blecch.

In other news, I got Universe Thrust from BBTS. I don't usually like paying their prices and shipping, but I have very little luck finding new TFs in my area, and didn't want to miss out.

Dirge comes out this fall, and then all I need is for Hasbro to finally release Thundercracker and I'll have all the seekers. :lol:

Seeing the new TF:Prime designs reminded me of how I felt when I saw the TFA sketches for the first time. So if the story and writing is good it just might win me over too. Although Arcee and Cliffjumper look great from the get-go.

I'm going to have to track down that shelf warming 2 pack of Bludgeon and Whirl from TRU after seeing this: Headrobots' Blood. That skull head looks great and I'm liking the cannon parts.

Anybody here catch the Pawn Stars segment with the guy trying to sell his Transformers collection?

I think Chumlee said it best: "Holy mother of Transformers".

Even Rick was suprised at how much that collection was worth.

As for Arcee, J.T. Silversmith, I still think Arcee would look better with a 1957 Cadillac El Dorado as her alt form. A, as in the words of Denis Leary, "hot f*cking pink" one.

Edited by Wanzerfan

Seeing the new TF:Prime designs reminded me of how I felt when I saw the TFA sketches for the first time. So if the story and writing is good it just might win me over too. Although Arcee and Cliffjumper look great from the get-go.

I'm going to have to track down that shelf warming 2 pack of Bludgeon and Whirl from TRU after seeing this: Headrobots' Blood. That skull head looks great and I'm liking the cannon parts.

I was a bit skeptical when TFA images first started circulating as well, but the show was a nice surprise, and many of the toys I count among my favorites. So, that said, I can live with the design aesthetic as long as the writing and humor are different from Bay's movies, which I find hard to believe given that Orci and Kurtzman are writing this. I know they are capable writers. They wrote the latest Star Trek movie, which I enjoyed, and found the dialog and humor well suited to the characters. Hopefully, Prime's director will attempt to create his own story and view of the characters apart from the live action movies. I thought TFA succeeded in this, putting a new spin on the characters, giving them a radical new look, and yet still spicing the show with G1 nods for us guys that still remember the original show.

I was a bit skeptical when TFA images first started circulating as well, but the show was a nice surprise, and many of the toys I count among my favorites. So, that said, I can live with the design aesthetic as long as the writing and humor are different from Bay's movies, which I find hard to believe given that Orci and Kurtzman are writing this. I know they are capable writers. They wrote the latest Star Trek movie, which I enjoyed, and found the dialog and humor well suited to the characters. Hopefully, Prime's director will attempt to create his own story and view of the characters apart from the live action movies. I thought TFA succeeded in this, putting a new spin on the characters, giving them a radical new look, and yet still spicing the show with G1 nods for us guys that still remember the original show.

I hope that the story is good on PRIME. WFC is the prequel...and honestly, up until Thursday I thought WFC was a prequel to G1. Some of the Animated design team, like Siebenaler(and I think Kubalsky) are working on PRIME(Siebenaler mentioned working on the Optimus figure for this series). Maybe his design for the toy may win me over.

Was out and about today and stopped by the TRU at near my house. They finally got some new stock including some of the hunt for the Decepticons line, a few WFC Bumblebees, and a Drift. Picked up the Drift since I'd never seen him before in stores and I gotta say I like him a lot.

I know almost nothing about his character, but he looked cool on the shelf so I snagged him. I'm really liking his bot mode and all the weapon storage. Transformation was fun and he has nice pose-ability. My only gripe is the soft plastic swords. Would have liked them to be something a little less bendy, but it's a minor gripe.

On another note, finally broke down and ordered Springer...err Warbot Defender, from BBTS (as this is apparently they last time they'll stock him) and he shows up tomorrow. I'm really looking forward to that.

Guest sh002

i wonder how tall mp rodimus will be to mp optimus because it would look funny if he came out really short. why is reissue piranacon's sword chrome instead of purple? i want a reissue menasor or a reissue menasor vs superion boxset. sure the toys didn't look that cool but the character were.

It looks like TRU was flooded with WFC Prime and Bumblebee toys this weekend. Peg and Thrust were there too but in smaller quantities. After fiddling around with him a bit, I can safely say that Peg is a great toy, and larger than most of the Classics/Henkei stuff I have. He's definitely less of a joke to me now, and I just might pick up Blurr seeing as how much I like this sculpt.

Edited by Valkyrie Hunter D